Options

Why doesn't anyone blame the SUN for global warming?

2»

Comments

• Options
    worldworld Posts: 266
    I actually heard that if we create enough smog, it will actually help protect us against the sun. It will form another layer in the atmospere to protect us against the evil sun rays.
    Chicago '98, Noblesville '00, East Troy '00, Chicago '00, Champaign '03, Chicago '03, Chicago1 '06, Chicago2 '06, Milwaukee '06, Chicago1 '09, and Chicago2 '09
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    world wrote:
    I actually heard that if we create enough smog, it will actually help protect us against the sun. It will form another layer in the atmospere to protect us against the evil sun rays.

that theory blocks out the sun and causes another ice age. see nuclear winter.
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    world wrote:

Good plan. Increase smog. No problems could come of this but I guess we haven't thought yet about what smog is made of apparently.

For BogoEn, yes, the ozone is part of the atmosphere. It is one layer of the atmosphere that blocks out ultraviolet radiation that causes skin cancer. However, it has only an incidental effect on temperature as it is not a greenhouse gas. I think you are thinking of methane rather than CO3. Methane is big problem that is not discussed much. It is in far less quantity than CO2, but it is 3 times more efficient at trapping insolation so you don't need as much to have a larger effect. The problem with methane is that cow production and other livestock have increased the amount of methane output. Oddly enough, a huge rise in termites due to human activity is also a huge source of methane. A single termite colony can produce a large amount of methane, but cows are the main culprit. Maybe we should nuke cattle country.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    Good plan. Increase smog. No problems could come of this but I guess we haven't thought yet about what smog is made of apparently.

For BogoEn, yes, the ozone is part of the atmosphere. It is one layer of the atmosphere that blocks out ultraviolet radiation that causes skin cancer. However, it has only an incidental effect on temperature as it is not a greenhouse gas. I think you are thinking of methane rather than CO3. Methane is big problem that is not discussed much. It is in far less quantity than CO2, but it is 3 times more efficient at trapping insolation so you don't need as much to have a larger effect. The problem with methane is that cow production and other livestock have increased the amount of methane output. Oddly enough, a huge rise in termites due to human activity is also a huge source of methane. A single termite colony can produce a large amount of methane, but cows are the main culprit. Maybe we should nuke cattle country.

decomposition creates methane. cows produce CO2 like any other animal. there are frozen pockets of methane all over the planet and 4 more degrees of warming will melt them.
    nuke all the cows; i produce and sell buffalo meat!
  • Options
    that theory blocks out the sun and causes another ice age. see nuclear winter.

I've read that though as we are becoming more conciencious, the smog levels from our society are decreasing thought, while the other greenhouse gases are still increasing. As a result more heat gets in, less gets out, equals even more global warming.
    "Science has proof without certainty... Religion has certainty without proof"
    -Ashley Montagu
  • Options
    I've read that though as we are becoming more conciencious, the smog levels from our society are decreasing thought, while the other greenhouse gases are still increasing. As a result more heat gets in, less gets out, equals even more global warming.

i've been saying it's too late to correct the problem for a long time now.
    CO2 is up. from decomposition of our garbage and destruction of plant life (forests mostly.)
  • Options
    world wrote:

Do you know what smog is...its nitrogen oxides....very bad for your health....I know its not your idea but it is absurd at best.....
  • Options
    It think we could reverse it, but it would take a major shift in our lifestyles and its not gonna happen as long as there's money to be made
    "Science has proof without certainty... Religion has certainty without proof"
    -Ashley Montagu