Options

What should Israel do?

dayandayan Posts: 475
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
So I've been reading a lot about how terrible Israel's actions have been in Lebanon on all sorts of different threads on this site. And I am willing to give many people (although not all of you) the benefit of the doubt, and assume that your anger grows out of a genuine horror at the loss of human life, and not out of a hatred of Israel itself. I accept that the death of an innocent civilian is a tragedy. My question is what would you have Israel do? And this is a political question. Please think politically when answering. As a sovereign state Israel's first priority must be to protect its citizens. How would you prefer that Israel fight Hezbollah, a group religiously committed to Israel's destruction, that hides among civilians while attacking Israel? I am not interested in hearing how morally wrong it is to kill civilians. I know this already. I want to know if anyone can actually give me a well thought out political alternative to what Israel is now doing.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Release all women and children from their prisons. Return the Shebaa farms to Lebanon as agreed to in UN resolutions and return the Golan Heights to Syria. Get the fuck out of Gaza and the West Bank and treat Arabs as people.

I think at that point the "terrorists" won't have any motivation.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,452
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Release all women and children from their prisons. Return the Shebaa farms to Lebanon as agreed to in UN resolutions and return the Golan Heights to Syria. Get the fuck out of Gaza and the West Bank and treat Arabs as people.

How bout after they give gaza to the palestinians, the palestinians dont use it to set up rockets and mortars? THen cry when their shit gets owned by israel....
    America...the greatest Country in the world.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

What your suggesting is that Israel give in to every demand made of them by their enemies without any sort of quid pro quo. However I don't see how you could consider this a viable POLITICAL position for Israel to take. Anyone who has followed the political situation here should be aware that Israeli concessions, such as their complete withdrawl from Lebanon in 2000, was seen as a sign of weakness, and encouraged radicals such as Hezbollah and Hamas, who interpreted the withdrawl to mean that with enough time and blood Israel could be wiped out. With regard to the Shebaa farms in particular, the UN has itself recognized this piece of land to belong to Syria and not Lebanon. It is merely used by Hezbollah as an excuse to attack Israel. Israel already pulled out of Gaza and got a terrible result. What insentive do they have to continue with such withdrawls in the West Bank? Lastly, why do you assume that even if Israel took all of these actions that they would no longer be attacked? Hamas and Hezbollah, as should be clear to anyone reading their charters, are religiously committed to destroying Israel. For them fighting Israel is a divine commandment which they take very seriously. Their grievance is not with any Israeli action, but with Israel's existence. It seems more than likely that to take your course of action would embolden these groups and lead to more violence rather than less.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    They should realise that, after they've done the CIA's dirty work for them, they're next.
  • Options
    dayan wrote:
    What your suggesting is that Israel give in to every demand made of them by their enemies without any sort of quid pro quo. However I don't see how you could consider this a viable POLITICAL position for Israel to take. Anyone who has followed the political situation here should be aware that Israeli concessions, such as their complete withdrawl from Lebanon in 2000, was seen as a sign of weakness, and encouraged radicals such as Hezbollah and Hamas, who interpreted the withdrawl to mean that with enough time and blood Israel could be wiped out. With regard to the Shebaa farms in particular, the UN has itself recognized this piece of land to belong to Syria and not Lebanon. It is merely used by Hezbollah as an excuse to attack Israel. Israel already pulled out of Gaza and got a terrible result. What insentive do they have to continue with such withdrawls in the West Bank? Lastly, why do you assume that even if Israel took all of these actions that they would no longer be attacked? Hamas and Hezbollah, as should be clear to anyone reading their charters, are religiously committed to destroying Israel. For them fighting Israel is a divine commandment which they take very seriously. Their grievance is not with any Israeli action, but with Israel's existence. It seems more than likely that to take your course of action would embolden these groups and lead to more violence rather than less.

I think the feeling of complete hatred for israel and the desire to destroy it stems from these problems. If Israel does what is right and not what is politically benneficial to them, over time this could heal itself. perhaps you are right and it will seem as a weakness to extremists, but it will discourage future extremists and groups like Hizbullah will start to lose support. Israel's current solution only increases support for groups like Hizbullah and al-qaida.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    They should realise that, after they've done the CIA's dirty work for them, they're next.

I asked a serious question, and expect serious answers. If you're just gonna post throw away crap like this please do it elsewhere.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I think the first step is to move back to the 1967 pre-war borders. It boggles my mind that the land fought on was not returned. It's almost like the lessons from WWI were not learned.

Request that the UN take a role in having a presence on border security and a policing presence at some holy sites.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    Oh, I was answering seriously, dayan. A deft, intelligent political analyst with recourse to clever assessment of the CIA's involvement, in exploiting Israel, for the destablisation of the Middle East (with view to getting Syrian and Iranian oil), would forecast wisely that Israel might ultimately become a liability in ensuring that the passage of profit heads to the States.

You're clearly not informed on the subject, and incapable of serious political debate.

I'll post pithy comments. If you perceive them as throwaway, you need better skills in close reading.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I think the feeling of complete hatred for israel and the desire to destroy it stems from these problems. If Israel does what is right and not what is politically benneficial to them, over time this could heal itself. perhaps you are right and it will seem as a weakness to extremists, but it will discourage future extremists and groups like Hizbullah will start to lose support. Israel's current solution only increases support for groups like Hizbullah and al-qaida.

Even if you are right, and I don't think you are, Israel has to act to protect the lives of its civilians here and now. They don't have the luxury to try such solutions which could take generations to materialize when Israelis are being killed here and now in the present. Also, if you haven't read the Hamas charter I suggest you do so. In it they draw on such sources as the Protocals of the Elders of Zion to place the blame for every world catastrophy since the French Revolution at the feet of the Jews. They also say that fighting Israel is a religious obligation mandated by God, and that God does not allow any compromise to be made over Muslim control of land. They believe that any land once controlled by Muslims is Muslim land forever and can not be given away under any circumstance. Lastly, Hamas does not believe in Palestinian nationalism. For them a Palestinian state is only one step towards the reconstitution of the ancient Caliphate. Given all of this, I really don't think that any concessions will lead to a lasting peace with these people.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    I think that the ball will be in Israel's court after they are done whuppin' Hizbollah. Its time to pull back to pre-1967 borders, and its time to make a serious effort at increasing Palestinian autonomy. I know the risks ... Militants might break cease fires, Israel will appear weak, etc. But I think these risks need to be taken. I wonder how the international community would react to Israel taking some serious steps towards a compromise? Maybe Europe will lose this pseudo-anti-Semitism that rears its ugly head whenever Israel takes military action, and maybe some of the moderate Arab politicians will actually kick in and do something positive as well.
  • Options
    Oh, I was answering seriously, dayan. A deft, intelligent political analyst with recourse to clever assessment of the CIA's involvement, in exploiting Israel. for the destablisation of the Middle East (with view to getting Syrian and Iranian oil), would forecast wisely that Israel might ultimately become a liability in ensuring that the passage of profit heads to the States.

You're clearly not informed on the subject, and incapable of serious political debate.

I have no idea what the first part means, but I don't appreciate your ad hominum attack. If you would like to explain yourself in a manner accessable to all that's fine, but don't start with the "your stupid" retorts.
  • Options
    dayan wrote:
    Even if you are right, and I don't think you are, Israel has to act to protect the lives of its civilians here and now. They don't have the luxury to try such solutions which could take generations to materialize when Israelis are being killed here and now in the present. Also, if you haven't read the Hamas charter I suggest you do so. In it they draw on such sources as the Protocals of the Elders of Zion to place the blame for every world catastrophy since the French Revolution at the feet of the Jews. They also say that fighting Israel is a religious obligation mandated by God, and that God does not allow any compromise to be made over Muslim control of land. They believe that any land once controlled by Muslims is Muslim land forever and can not be given away under any circumstance. Lastly, Hamas does not believe in Palestinian nationalism. For them a Palestinian state is only one step towards the reconstitution of the ancient Caliphate. Given all of this, I really don't think that any concessions will lead to a lasting peace with these people.

There are reasons that an extremists parliament would be elected by a distressed people. What I am saying is that the underlying issues need to be addressed. This war will not protect Israel from the root problems and it will take generations to obtain peace. That's the reality Israel needs to face.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    And I should add ... Pertaining to the current crisis, Israel should cease airstrikes on any target that a) is not a known Hizbollah position, and b) that is known to contain a large number of civilians. This may not be ideal from a military standpoint, but I believe it necessary. I also feel that Lebanon is entitled to some compensation for damages sustained in areas that are not dominated by Hizbollah. I make this last statement loosely ... I am not entirely sure what form this compensation should take.
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    I think the first step is to move back to the 1967 pre-war borders. It boggles my mind that the land fought on was not returned. It's almost like the lessons from WWI were not learned.

Request that the UN take a role in having a presence on border security and a policing presence at some holy sites.

From an Israeli point of view the 67' borders are indefensible. Israel would seek in final status talks to adjust to border slightly to make them more easily defended. This has been given theoretical sanction by the UN. Israel has also offered in the past to compensate the Palestinians for land taken in this way with land elsewhere from within 67' Israel. UN peace keepers, I shouldn't have to say, have a terrible record all over the world. They certainly did no good in Southern Lebanon. As for Holy Sites, I'm not sure what problem you're addressing here. Israeli control over holy sites has generally been non-intrusive. Israel provides for their security, but leaves everything else up to the local authorities of the particular faith.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    There are reasons that an extremists parliament would be elected by a distressed people. What I am saying is that the underlying issues need to be addressed. This war will not protect Israel from the root problems and it will take generations to obtain peace. That's the reality Israel needs to face.

I agree that this will indeed take generations to resolve, but I don't think that it is a given that distressed people will elect fundamentalists to represent them. (and I don't mean to say that you suggested otherwise) I believe that through negotiation these issues can be dealt with, but until the societies surrounding Israel elect leaders for themselves who are willing to negotiate, and who are strong enough to confront the fundamentalist elements within their own society, I'm not sure that Israel has any alternative to military action in defense of their civilians. Certainly they can not do nothing in the face of repeated attacks on Israeli civilians and soldiers.
  • Options
    shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    Ahnimus wrote:

Once again: Shebaa farms belongs to Syria (according to Syria, UN & Israel).

prisoners: aren't you forgeting OUR prisoners? I think dayan talked about Lebanon-Hizbullah situation, not about our other issues. Hizbullah has NO right to exist as a terror group for the sake of sympathy to the Palestinian people or the Iraqi people. I think there are only 2 Lebanese prisoners, the most importent one is called Samir Kuntar, a terrorist who got into Israel and killed Israeli civilians (the Haran family) including a 4 years old girl. He had a fair trail and was sent to life-time on prison. Why should we release that guy? would you do it?
  • Options
    zcyruszcyrus Posts: 22
    Is Israel better off now than it was fourty years ago? Their civillians are still under an intense threat. Hizbullah and Hamas are stronger than ever. Israel is more insecure than maybe anytime in recent history. They need to talk with Hamas and Hizbullah and see if a political solution can be raised. I think by all acounts the latest response by Israel (which they have a right to do) is disporpotional and empowering their enemies. When you refuse to talk to your opponents, you will never come to a compromise. They were willing to talk to the PLO, a terrorist orginazation, and they came close to a lasting peace in the mid-90's. Rabin's assassination, by an Israeli fundamentalist, was the biggest blow to this crisis.

On a completely other note, since Iran is funding Hizbullah, why don't we try to cut off their money. When oil goes to $10 instead of $100 it will be tough for countries to throw their money at terrorist orginizations. It will force these countries to develop real economies, trade with the world, and force change through trade. This should be the goal of US foreign policy, not the neoconservative, invade a country and "democratize" them.
  • Options
    dayan wrote:
    I have no idea what the first part means, but I don't appreciate your ad hominum attack. If you would like to explain yourself in a manner accessable to all that's fine, but don't start with the "your stupid" retorts.

I think you mean an ad hominem attack. Ad hominem attacks are attacks on the messenger or proponent of an argument, rather than the argument itself. I didn't do that. Now, semantics aside, I didn't infer you to be stupid, I was just stating that you weren't taking into account precedents of CIA behaviour, or even old British and French colonial patterns of behaviour, worldwide, in the modern capitalist era. According to this pattern, Israel would ultimately find its pact torn up when the colonial centre gets a bit desperate for resources. Examples: Ah, that's the fun part. Research, and come back to me.
  • Options
    zcyrus wrote:
    Is Israel better off now than it was fourty years ago? Their civillians are still under an intense threat. Hizbullah and Hamas are stronger than ever. Israel is more insecure than maybe anytime in recent history. They need to talk with Hamas and Hizbullah and see if a political solution can be raised. I think by all acounts the latest response by Israel (which they have a right to do) is disporpotional and empowering their enemies. When you refuse to talk to your opponents, you will never come to a compromise. They were willing to talk to the PLO, a terrorist orginazation, and they came close to a lasting peace in the mid-90's. Rabin's assassination, by an Israeli fundamentalist, was the biggest blow to this crisis.

On a completely other note, since Iran is funding Hizbullah, why don't we try to cut off their money. When oil goes to $10 instead of $100 it will be tough for countries to throw their money at terrorist orginizations. It will force these countries to develop real economies, trade with the world, and force change through trade. This should be the goal of US foreign policy, not the neoconservative, invade a country and "democratize" them.

I'll leave aside your second paragraph because I agree in principle with most of it. I think the difference between Hamas/Hezbollah and the PLO is very important. The PLO was/is a secular, nationalist group. As such they had more limited aims, and were more willing and able to compromise since they didn't percieve themselves to be divinely commanded to carry on the fight forever until victory. That said, at the end of the day negotiations failed even with the PLO, and in a big way, and I'm not so sure it can all be attributed to the Rabin assassination. In any event, I don't see how Israel can seriously negotiate with groups that don't even recognize Israel's right to exist.
  • Options
    I think you mean an ad hominem attack. Ad hominem attacks are attacks on the messenger or proponent of an argument, rather than the argument itself. I didn't do that. Now, semantics aside, I didn't infer you to be stupid, I was just stating that you weren't taking into account precedents of CIA behaviour, or even old British and French colonial patterns of behaviour, worldwide, in the modern capitalist era. According to this pattern, Israel would ultimately find its pact torn up when the colonial centre gets a bit desperate for resources. Examples: Ah, that's the fun part. Research, and come back to me.

OK, now I think I'm getting the gist of your argument. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that America supports Israel because it gives America important leverage in an oil rich region, and that once America no longer is dependent on ME oil, Israel will get dropped. I don't see how this is an answer to the question of what Israel should do in its current political situation.
  • Options
    dayan wrote:
    OK, now I think I'm getting the gist of your argument. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that America supports Israel because it gives America important leverage in an oil rich region, and that once America no longer is dependent on ME oil, Israel will get dropped. I don't see how this is an answer to the question of what Israel should do in its current political situation.

You should have got the gist of my argument from the first post. Israel should start thinking long term.
  • Options
    shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    zcyrus wrote:

We need to talk to Hamas who is (unfortunately) the elected party of the Palestinians. Hizbullah in an armed force who took control over southern Lebanon and stayed there after we moved out. This is a none official army/country (southern Lebanon = Hizbullah land) in Leabnon who represent nothing but itself ==> we should not talk to these people, it is pointless. We tried that before, and look where we are today.
  • Options
    You should have got the gist of my argument from the first post. Israel should start thinking long term.

But what would that entail?
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    dayan wrote:
    From an Israeli point of view the 67' borders are indefensible. Israel would seek in final status talks to adjust to border slightly to make them more easily defended. This has been given theoretical sanction by the UN. Israel has also offered in the past to compensate the Palestinians for land taken in this way with land elsewhere from within 67' Israel.
    I'm sure you already know why keeping the land but giving compensation is not acceptable. How would your logterm feelings for me be if I just took a chunk of your land by force but then offered you monetary compensation. That the UN has given theoretical sanction tho this is no surprise, they're the ones who created this mess to start with, with the creation of Israel. This was not acceptable to Britain with regards to the Falkland Island, and it won't be acceptable to any country I would think.
    dayan wrote:
    UN peace keepers, I shouldn't have to say, have a terrible record all over the world. They certainly did no good in Southern Lebanon. As for Holy Sites, I'm not sure what problem you're addressing here. Israeli control over holy sites has generally been non-intrusive. Israel provides for their security, but leaves everything else up to the local authorities of the particular faith.
    Israeli control of holy sites has generally been unobtrusive to Jews and holy site administration. It has certainly caused more than one issue regarding access for non-Jews.

Israel is stuck between a rock and a hard place, that's for sure.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    I agree with you about the religous aspects of your argument to a certain extent. But as Thomas Friedman has said, at the end of the day everybody has mother, and the math matters. Is it really possible to kill or capture every member of Hamas or Hizbullah? The Israeli army was in Lebanon for 18 years, with very little success. I've even heard it refered to as the Israeli Vietnam. So invasion and overwhelming force doesn't work in these situations. The most frustrating thing about the US approach to the world is that if you refuse to talk to a group of people, you have no idea if a solution can be reached. I'm just saying try it. If it doesn't work, than you try something else. But to secure Lebanon, which hasn't been secured since 1975 will probably take hundreds of thousands of soldiers. If you talk first, you are much more likely to get other countries to help you out with the massive force that will be needed.
  • Options
    zcyrus wrote:
    I agree with you about the religous aspects of your argument to a certain extent. But as Thomas Friedman has said, at the end of the day everybody has mother, and the math matters. Is it really possible to kill or capture every member of Hamas or Hizbullah? The Israeli army was in Lebanon for 18 years, with very little success. I've even heard it refered to as the Israeli Vietnam. So invasion and overwhelming force doesn't work in these situations. The most frustrating thing about the US approach to the world is that if you refuse to talk to a group of people, you have no idea if a solution can be reached. I'm just saying try it. If it doesn't work, than you try something else. But to secure Lebanon, which hasn't been secured since 1975 will probably take hundreds of thousands of soldiers. If you talk first, you are much more likely to get other countries to help you out with the massive force that will be needed.

I accept your argument, though I disagree with it. It just seems somewhat naive to think that one can talk to someone devoted to your destruction after they have already launched an unprovoked attack on you. Not to mention that talking to Hezbollah as an equal partner gives them legitimacy, which they do not deserve, and more importantly, which would further strengthen them (certainly not in Israel's interest).
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    I'm sure you already know why keeping the land but giving compensation is not acceptable. How would your logterm feelings for me be if I just took a chunk of your land by force but then offered you monetary compensation. That the UN has given theoretical sanction tho this is no surprise, they're the ones who created this mess to start with, with the creation of Israel. This was not acceptable to Britain with regards to the Falkland Island, and it won't be acceptable to any country I would think.Israeli control of holy sites has generally been unobtrusive to Jews and holy site administration. It has certainly caused more than one issue regarding access for non-Jews.

Israel is stuck between a rock and a hard place, that's for sure.

I don't care about what is acceptable. I'm talking about political reality. Israel is a country that has lived under the threat of annihilation ever since its founding. It has had to fight for its existence on average every six or seven years. They are not simply going to, nor should they be expected to, compromise on having defensible borders just because the Palestinians insist on having everything exactly as they want it. That is the whole point of negotiation and compromise. Both sides give up something to get something back. In this case the Palestinians must accept that Israel can not, for its on security, go back to the 67' line.
  • Options
    dayan wrote:
    I accept your argument, though I disagree with it. It just seems somewhat naive to think that one can talk to someone devoted to your destruction after they have already launched an unprovoked attack on you. Not to mention that talking to Hezbollah as an equal partner gives them legitimacy, which they do not deserve, and more importantly, which would further strengthen them (certainly not in Israel's interest).

You can bomb the world into pieces but not into peace.

You can't ever expect to live in peace by killing your neighbors. You are only bringing more violence upon yourself for years to come. Since this strategy is obviously not working, how about changing plans, learn from your mistakes and try a new approach? I don't think things could end up much worse.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    dayan wrote:

I'm just shocked that a discussion on this board didn't turn into a rant of name calling and accusations. Thanks for sharing your opinions even though we disagree.