Options

why would anyone not like pearl jam?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    As my mother used to say 'that's what makes horse racing'. Not everyone's going to like the same thing, simple as that. Think of the people who just like screamo, or electronica, or speed metal, or opera, or musicals or whatever. Its just the way it is.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    CityMouse wrote:
    er, well given to fly was kinda stolen from led zep...

stolen or inspired by? PJ never steals, lol listen to Rats, lol why would Ed say one thing and do another?
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • Options
    Army & NavyArmy & Navy Posts: 120
    trammeus wrote:
    friends of mine don't like so much their being "classical" in
    some other told me: vedder is too...good. they mean he didn't have the so-bad profile and the dark side like other artists (Cave, Cure, Gahan and so on): I think they miss the 90's when vedder was really different

Yeah, Vedder has really upped his profile really since 2003. Lots of guest appearances for other's shows, Political rallies, TV and magazine interviews etc etc.

With this, his lyrics have also changed, they are almost 80% political now, when being about 20% political on the first 5 albums. For me the magic in his words, are when he is more oblique and thoughtful. Songs like Marker In The Sand, Half Full, & WWS don't move me like WMA, Whipping & Even Flow.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I think the reason why is because today, (compared to the 60's) there is alot more variety. There are people who like rock, emo rock, metal, rap, techno, R&B, etc. Back then there was Led Zep, Beatles, Jimi and The Who. (of course there were more but those are the most popular ones) Back then, there was really only rock music, not much else. So of course teenagers are all going to like those bands, which is why Led Zep/Beatles are considered the 2 greatest bands of all time.

Fast forward to now, and there is just too much different types of music to choose from, and people are very picky and spoiled now. So of course there are going to be more people to hate certain things. No matter WHAT, people will always hate something that many people like.

I do agree though, I cant see how any (rock fan) cant like PJ. If your a fan of bands like Led Zep, Beatles, The Who....then you should be thankful that there is a band like Pearl Jam today. Pearl Jam is the ONLY band today that has that raw classic rock feel , passion, and energy. They dont use super duper light shows or over produce their music. Its just straight up good old rock and roll. For someone who loves good rock music but wont give them a chance, mind boggles me.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    john dakerjohn daker Posts: 18
    Ian_L wrote:
    Not loving someone because they don't like a band is ridiculous.

Loving someone because you think you have to is as well.

I should clarify I guess... I love my brother not just because I have to... but because he has been a great friend for many years and has helped me through some tough sh*t that life has thrown my way, and not liking pearl jam isn't enough to override that. in many ways i try to be like him. it's just disappointing because back in the early days he was such a huge fan and now he's such a huge anti-fan, and he won't even give them a chance when offered a free ticket.
    07/08/1998 - phoenix ... 06/03/2003 - irvine 2 ... 06/07/2003 - phoenix ... 07/06/2006 - vegas ... 07/10/2006 - l.a.

http://www.myspace.com/willhambfg
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    SENROCK! wrote:
    I have a cuzin that really got me into pearl jam and i used to WISH i could be a fan like him. He hadd every crazy bootleg back in the day and every magazine and knew EVERYTHING about them and all their lyrics. We snuck out of the house to go see our first show together in 95. After a while, he got married, we lost touch. I saw him a couple years back and was EXXXCITED to see him & show him my pearl jam tattoos and talk to him about shows. ten minutes into our conversation he said he quit listening to them & that they are way too commercial & Ed sounds like EVERYONE now. The icing on the cake? He said "i just dont like pearl jam anymore & i think the REd Hot Chili Peppers are 100 times better." :eek: I looked at him in disgust and said " please go away. I can never speak to you again." :D

Damn....that is just a sad story.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Ian_LIan_L Posts: 101
    john daker wrote:
    I should clarify I guess... I love my brother not just because I have to... but because he has been a great friend for many years and has helped me through some tough sh*t that life has thrown my way, and not liking pearl jam isn't enough to override that. in many ways i try to be like him. it's just disappointing because back in the early days he was such a huge fan and now he's such a huge anti-fan, and he won't even give them a chance when offered a free ticket.

Ah, my apologies for sounding like an ass, but sometimes I hear of children being abused by their parents and/or sibling(s) and saying something like "well, I have to love them because they're family".

I guess I shouldn't have said that when I didn't know the whole story.
  • Options
    john dakerjohn daker Posts: 18
    Ian_L wrote:
    Ah, my apologies for sounding like an ass, but sometimes I hear of children being abused by their parents and/or sibling(s) and saying something like "well, I have to love them because they're family".

I guess I shouldn't have said that when I didn't know the whole story.

no skin off my hide... you did make a valid point.
    07/08/1998 - phoenix ... 06/03/2003 - irvine 2 ... 06/07/2003 - phoenix ... 07/06/2006 - vegas ... 07/10/2006 - l.a.

http://www.myspace.com/willhambfg
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i realized something in this thread.. there are a lot of people that are quick to point out that Given To Fly sounds like Going to California as if Pearl Jam ripped off Led Zep.... Yet wasn't the first Led Zeppelin album a complete rip off of all different musicians? i mean i love zeppelin but if people are forgetting that than they really don't know enough to comment.
  • Options
    happy2beherehappy2behere Posts: 148
    lephty wrote:
    i realized something in this thread.. there are a lot of people that are quick to point out that Given To Fly sounds like Going to California as if Pearl Jam ripped off Led Zep.... Yet wasn't the first Led Zeppelin album a complete rip off of all different musicians? i mean i love zeppelin but if people are forgetting that than they really don't know enough to comment.

just because zep didn't credit willie dixon on whole lotta love and other instances, it does not make it right that PJ did the same thing and didn't give zep credit for the "borrowing" of going to california.
    zep was wrong, and so was pj. they both wrote a song using another bands melody.
    george harrison took a lot of heat for this kind of borrowing.
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    just because zep didn't credit willie dixon on whole lotta love and other instances, it does not make it right that PJ did the same thing and didn't give zep credit for the "borrowing" of going to california.
    zep was wrong, and so was pj. they both wrote a song using another bands melody.

in all seriousness, i just listened to the both of the songs, and they may have a similar sound but IMO given to fly really does not sound like a rip off of going to california. its not like a blatant rip off like what vanilla ice did to queen, its just inspired music. in all honesty, if someone did not make the comparison, i would never have noticed. that's like the other thread saying NIN 1,000,000 ripped off PJ's Last Exit. IMO Last Exit and 1,000,000 sound a whole lot more similar in the first 20 seconds than given to fly and going to california do at all.
  • Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    Who really gives a crap if someone likes Pearl Jam or not, or if they "don't get it" as some people like to say, as long as you like them who cares if other people do or not. If you like liver and onions and other people don't are you going to try and make some one eat liver and onions until they like it???

Some people are to touchy about PJ, I was born in Dallas and I'm a diehard Cowboys fan till the day I die. There are TONS of people who HATE the Cowboys, but guess what, I don't let it get to me or care at all, because I could give a CRAP if other people like them or not.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    It is what it is. You can't please everyone and those that do get it really appreciate it. Enjoy.
    It's funny when things change so much
    It's all state of mind

Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff

You think you hate it now, wait till you drive it...

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731

I read an interview with Plant in '98 about Given to Fly where he said he doubted Pearl Jam even knew of Going to California because it's an "obscure track." haha, talk about not knowing how great and popular your cataloge really is. but he also noted that he liked Pearl Jam and Given to Fly and didn't care if there were similarities.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Ed drinks so much as shows he sometimes slurs his way through songs. He yammers on in between songs about his political views. His voice doesn't appeal to everyone...and now that there's a bajillion other guys that sing just like him, he now sounds like everyone else.

Now, while i LIVE for two bottle shows and Ed's yammering between songs and i think he has the voice of an angel, those are just a few reasons why some people might not like him/Pearl Jam.

I had a slight disagreement a few weeks ago with a girl on the internetz about Pearl Jam actually. She called them douchebags and when i asked why she replied with this...

"Egos the size of Mars...
    Thinking they're too good to wear the proper backstage identification because AND I quote: "Everyone should already KNOW what PEARL JAM look like."
    When I asked their head of security how I'm supposed to know who Pearl Jam is when they come through (because I was specifically told I better not DARE ask Pearl Jam to see their passes) he looked like he was about to have a hernia and looked at me like I was an alien.

"*GASP* UH, obviously they look like ROCK STARS!" ((IM SO FUCKING SERIOUS.))
    My response?
    "Oh, so if a group of guys who look like bums come by, I'll let them through."
    Oh, and they're also the "don't make eye contact" kind of people.

I told her i thought we might be talking about two different bands! Every story i've ever read about people meeting Ed, they ALWAYS mention how he looked them right in the eye...

Anyway, there's lots of reasons why people wouldn't like Pearl Jam. Not everyone can be as smart as we are! ;)
  • Options
    i haven't a notion why anyone would not like them. i still have a hard-on for them since i first heard 'ten'.
    ...Pearl Jam, a group filled with pride, passion, and intricate musicianship. Their music is full of subtle textures, rich color, soul-searching power, imagery, and eerie dissonance.
  • Options
    hiding103006hiding103006 Posts: 452
    saying that pearl jam is "washed up" is pure ignorance. he's talking without a clue, and this is probably my biggest pet peeve. i could sit here and tell all of you that quantum physics is crucial to our well being. (if that even makes sense?) but i have zero knowledge on the subject, SO I'M NOT GOING TO TALK ABOUT IT.

putting on a 3 hour+ show and blowing the doors off of metallica at bonnaroo is just one prime example of the sort of thing that washed up bands do.
    Camden 7-5-2003, Camden 7-6-2003, Hershey 7-12-2003, Camden 5-27-2006, Camden 5-28-2006, Lollapalooza 8-5-2007, Camden 6-19-2008, Camden 6-20-2008, New York 6-24-2008, New York 6-25-2008, Mansfield 6-28-2008, Mansfield 6-30-2008
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    SENROCK! wrote:
    ten minutes into our conversation he said he quit listening to them & that they are way too commercial & Ed sounds like EVERYONE now.

Doesn't he mean everbody sounds like Ed?

Way too Commercial? Whaaaaaaaat!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    I thought this topic was interesting, so I'll pipe in. I have liked Pearl Jam since the first time I laid eyes on Eddie Vedder singing "Jeremy" on MTV. Watching them on MTV's Unplugged sealed the deal forever for me. While I have always liked Pearl Jam, I didn't follow them closely for several years. A few years back, I reignited my love...fell in love with them all over again. I'm not quite sure what exactly fueled the flames, but, here I am again. I appreciate them much much more now than I did back in the early 1990's. I think it does take awhile to "get it". It did for me. Some people dislike Riot Act...I did the first 3-4 times I listened to it. NOW...after giving it a fair chance...LOVE it! Many of my friends and family have made remarks about PJ..."they are still around"? "they're old", "they are all washed up", "Nirvana was better than Pearl Jam". Of course, many of those are the same people that LOVED "Jeremy"...and thought PJ was so cool in the '90's. I think those folks were just fair-weather fans because they were into what everyone else was into. Pearl Jam has a lot more to offer than "Jeremy". I am so impressed with how they can continue to captivate their fans and lay claim to new, young fans. My son (who is 10)...is really into Even Flow and Porch. He also likes Dirty Frank. He, in fact, likes most of their songs, and knows the words to many of them. He is a young fan, who can't wait to see them live. We watched VH1 Rock Honors together. He "gets it" :) Not all do...including my husband. He likes them to a certain degree...but, will make comments to me, "Eddie Vedder mumbles"..."can't understand a damn word they are saying". I don't know...I guess I'm rambling. You either "get" them, or you don't. I don't care who doesn't like them. I do. And...I always will.

***my son was joking that his dad should have, "My baby's in love with Eddie Vedder" by Weird Al as his ring tone when I call him! (That would be very appropriate in my case! ***
    "If you hate something, don't you do it too"~Pearl Jam
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    john daker wrote:
    seriously, i don't get it... i understand that not everyone is a freak like most of us on here but how could you not like anything about pearl jam?

see... i got this older brother who is the whole reason i even heard pearl jam in the first place... he bought ten way back when the jeremy video was in heavy rotation and listened to it steadily... i was intrigued... then he bought vs. when it came out and so did i (it was my first cd ever), and he kinda shelved it after a few months... for xmas the next year i bought him vitalogy and he probably listened to it once... soon after he sold all 3 at a used cd store and has since HATED pearl jam and mocked me for liking them through all these years...

i don't get it. i mean i love the guy cuz i have to... but c'mon... i remember the real last straw for him was when i excitedly showed him given to fly and he told me they stole it from led zeppelin... are you kiddin' me

also one time i offered him a ticket to see them with me in LA at the forum to prove how good they are and he laughed at me and said "are they still together? man, they're all washed up." what a jerk.

even my mom likes wishlist, and she doesn't even like rock. anyway... i'm sorry if you wasted your time on this thread but i needed to vent a decade-plus of frustration.

god knows!!!!!
    danny d
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    their loss, our gain!
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    to answer your thread title question. Because Pearl Jam won't sell out,

They dont need to "sell out"...they make tons touring and selling live boots...dont be gullible, Pearl Jam is making it straight from the fans so theres no need for McDonalds, Sony or Budweiser.
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    i dont know why but i know if i ever stop liking pearl jam i will have nothing to listen to!
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010