Options

why would anyone not like pearl jam?

john dakerjohn daker Posts: 18
edited July 2008 in The Porch
seriously, i don't get it... i understand that not everyone is a freak like most of us on here but how could you not like anything about pearl jam?

see... i got this older brother who is the whole reason i even heard pearl jam in the first place... he bought ten way back when the jeremy video was in heavy rotation and listened to it steadily... i was intrigued... then he bought vs. when it came out and so did i (it was my first cd ever), and he kinda shelved it after a few months... for xmas the next year i bought him vitalogy and he probably listened to it once... soon after he sold all 3 at a used cd store and has since HATED pearl jam and mocked me for liking them through all these years...

i don't get it. i mean i love the guy cuz i have to... but c'mon... i remember the real last straw for him was when i excitedly showed him given to fly and he told me they stole it from led zeppelin... are you kiddin' me?

also one time i offered him a ticket to see them with me in LA at the forum to prove how good they are and he laughed at me and said "are they still together? man, they're all washed up." what a jerk.

even my mom likes wishlist, and she doesn't even like rock. anyway... i'm sorry if you wasted your time on this thread but i needed to vent a decade-plus of frustration.
07/08/1998 - phoenix ... 06/03/2003 - irvine 2 ... 06/07/2003 - phoenix ... 07/06/2006 - vegas ... 07/10/2006 - l.a.

http://www.myspace.com/willhambfg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    edited March 2009
    Post edited by Surf Rider on
  • Options
    mertmert Posts: 167
    To me, Pearl Jam is one of those bands that you have to listen to several times to "get it". I learned this with No Code - I bought it at the same time as Nirvana's Wishkah, and I didn't care for it much, but then I forced myself to listen to it, and it quickly became one of my favourite albums ever... There is a quality of the music/lyrics with PJ that can't be fully appreciated with one listen, imo, and many (most?) people don't or can't put the effort into it. Music geeks, however, tend to like bands like this.... ;)
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Many people (at least here in Belgium) don't know pearl jam. They heard Jermy and alive 15 years ago, then they didn't hear PJ anymore...

Everytime I went to a PJ show (only 4, but...), I have invited someone who didn't know them (or not well): my girlfriend, my cousin, a colleague.
    All are now "fan" of pearl jam.
    My girlfriend, who's not much into "rock" music, now sings every time I put a PJ song...
    My cousin bought all of their studio albums the day after the show he attended. Idem for my colleague.

Another colleague kind of discovered PJ with Ed's ITW soundtrack. He has now 4 or 5 of PJ albums and really gets into them...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    Ian_LIan_L Posts: 101
    john daker wrote:
    i mean i love the guy cuz i have to...

Don't be that guy. You don't have to love anyone.
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Ian_L wrote:
    Nobody wants to be "that" guy.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    Nobody wants to be "that" guy.

I never knew that I was "that" guy until somebody told me. :(
  • Options
    I was taking a train with some friends a couple of years back when one of them said something that still angers me to this day.

We got onto the subject of music and i mentioned my obsession with Pearl Jam. All of a sudden, one of them piped up and said 'Pearl Jam, i thought they were all dead'. Everybody laughed and i felt utterly stupid and dam right pissed off.

Five minutes later, the same guy claimed his favourite band was Orson.

I never often presume i'm better than anybody. But i very much did that day.
    ***Astoria, UK - 2006***
    ***Reading, UK - 2006***
    ***Wembley, UK - 2007***
    ***Nijmegen, Holland - 2007***

http://www.myspace.com/theeasymorningrebel
  • Options
    you can never make one single song, genre or band that every single person is going to like...it's just how it is.
    "I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1977
  • Options
    you can never make one single song, genre or band that every single person is going to like...it's just how it is.

Ohhh Yea, how do explain Limp Bizkit then
  • Options
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    Ohhh Yea, how do explain Limp Bizkit then
    Well there are just some groups that can piss of everyone....perfect example.
    "I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1977
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    john daker wrote:
    seriously, i don't get it... i understand that not everyone is a freak like most of us on here but how could you not like anything about pearl jam?

see... i got this older brother who is the whole reason i even heard pearl jam in the first place... he bought ten way back when the jeremy video was in heavy rotation and listened to it steadily... i was intrigued... then he bought vs. when it came out and so did i (it was my first cd ever), and he kinda shelved it after a few months... for xmas the next year i bought him vitalogy and he probably listened to it once... soon after he sold all 3 at a used cd store and has since HATED pearl jam and mocked me for liking them through all these years...

i don't get it. i mean i love the guy cuz i have to... but c'mon... i remember the real last straw for him was when i excitedly showed him given to fly and he told me they stole it from led zeppelin... are you kiddin' me?

also one time i offered him a ticket to see them with me in LA at the forum to prove how good they are and he laughed at me and said "are they still together? man, they're all washed up." what a jerk.

even my mom likes wishlist, and she doesn't even like rock. anyway... i'm sorry if you wasted your time on this thread but i needed to vent a decade-plus of frustration.
    I have a cuzin that really got me into pearl jam and i used to WISH i could be a fan like him. He hadd every crazy bootleg back in the day and every magazine and knew EVERYTHING about them and all their lyrics. We snuck out of the house to go see our first show together in 95. After a while, he got married, we lost touch. I saw him a couple years back and was EXXXCITED to see him & show him my pearl jam tattoos and talk to him about shows. ten minutes into our conversation he said he quit listening to them & that they are way too commercial & Ed sounds like EVERYONE now. The icing on the cake? He said "i just dont like pearl jam anymore & i think the REd Hot Chili Peppers are 100 times better." :eek: I looked at him in disgust and said " please go away. I can never speak to you again." :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Post edited by Surf Rider on
  • Options
    Whenever I talk to people about Pearl Jam, I often hear that many gave up on them after Yield. I always try and do my part by taking a different friend each time I go to a PJ concert. The response is always the same, they love it! After the shows they understand my level of excitement about the band, and are ready for another show!
    "its like his thoughts are too big for his size"
  • Options
    Whenever I talk to people about Pearl Jam, I often hear that many gave up on them after Yield. I always try and do my part by taking a different friend each time I go to a PJ concert. The response is always the same, they love it! After the shows they understand my level of excitement about the band, and are ready for another show!
    how could they have given up after yield? Yield was a fucking amazing album!!
  • Options
    how could they have given up after yield? Yield was a fucking amazing album!!

I ask myself the same question manipulatedliving, but a lot feel they lost steam after Yield. Good thing we didn't yield after Yield
    "its like his thoughts are too big for his size"
  • Options
    I ask myself the same question manipulatedliving, but a lot feel they lost steam after Yield. Good thing we didn't yield after Yield
    exactly..i still have a deep love for that album...and especially for the svt. I found that a few weeks ago, and fell in love with it all over again (after it had been sitting in my garage for two or three years) :D
  • Options
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    lol, those bums were big for like 7 weeks and then were gone.

try more like 2-4 years and three dollars bills y'all was the shit(good)

john daker wrote:

actually thats true pj has said so and if you listen to the HOB 05 boot they play them back to back and sound the same
    PLAY THE GORGE IN 08 YOU PUSSIES

On the dry and dusty road
    The nights we spent apart alone
    I need to get back home
    To cool cool rain

LONG LIVE THE WHO! BE DEAD OR ALIVE

i'll ride the wave where it take me, i'll hold the pain release meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Options
    try more like 2-4 years and three dollars bills y'all was the shit(good)

actually thats true pj has said so and if you listen to the HOB 05 boot they play them back to back and sound the same

unbelievable.

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    unbelievable.
    :confused:

I need to get back home
    To cool cool rain

i'll ride the wave where it take me, i'll hold the pain release meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Options
    :confused:

haha

• Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    haha
    :)

I need to get back home
    To cool cool rain

• Options
    A great question asked in this thread, although not surprisingly... I mean, come on, in a day-in-age of 24/7 material & technoligical consumption at the expense of personal social contact and original thought, when a truly arrogant fuck-up like Bush can be elected President of this country (twice), is it really a surprise that mediocrity is the norm with regards to musical choice of the majority of our population?? No. It's unfortunately the fucking status quo now.

It's even easy to see this while at Pearl Jam shows. Take the infamous Uniondale gig back in 2003 (I think), when Ed takes all that shit from the morons in the crowd after playing Bushleaguer... as they resort to the brainless, completely irrelevant chant of "USA USA". I cringe every time I hear that. Ed's response is brilliant, of course. Then the band's explosion into their best version of Know Your Rights give a swift kick in the teeth to those morally-blind assholes. (Though, they probably didn't get that, either).

Any band that can almost bring me to tears with the passion of their playing and words will never be socially-accepted by the factory-line(like) masses our society has produced. Neither will true humanists like the great, Howard Zinn.

Pearl Jam is the fucking truth. Period. Those who don't get it never will. Don't waste your time trying to understand it. You will always end up disappointed.

Listening to Binaural now... Yes.

Thanks for enduring my rant,

Michael
  • Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    Yeah..my daughter (age 11) can't stand the band, but I think that has more to do with being strapped in her car seat since age 1 and forced to listen to them & nothing else?
    In her defense she might have gotten sick of them over time. Wasn't really her choice.

To her credit she is fully on board with all of their causes, so in that regard she's a fan, but the thought of a whole concert gave her the shivers this summer.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    trammeustrammeus Posts: 124
    friends of mine don't like so much their being "classical" in some way: but it's because these persons like to listen bands that sold at maximum 500 copies

some other told me: i like the singer, but i don't like so much all that guitars (funny: the same things I read from Thurston Moore of SY)

some other told me: vedder is too...good. they mean he didn't have the so-bad profile and the dark side like other artists (Cave, Cure, Gahan and so on): I think they miss the 90's when vedder was really different

some other told me: they did not repeate the first 3 masterpieces. Well, maybe true. But I'd give a chance to No Code (my fav) and Yield. At least.

the ones who were at one show were impressed (except one, at Werchter, last year. But frankly it wasn't a great show)
    Verona 93 - Milan 96 - Barcelona 96 - Verona 00 - Milan 00 - Turin 06 - Berlin 06 - Lisbon 07 - Madrid 07 - Katowice 07 - London 07 - Werchter 07
  • Options
    jasonwjasonw Posts: 390
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    to answer your thread title question. Because Pearl Jam won't sell out, they make incredible music with meaning. They tell stories unlike most other music of today, where it's 99.9% about screwing.

Not to be a jerk, but i feel confident in saying that your response is 100% wrong. No one hates pearl jam because they didn't "sell out", people dislike pearl jam for many reasons.....don't like eddie's voice, don't the style of music, don't like albums like riot act, etc...
  • Options
    jasonwjasonw Posts: 390
    Ian_L wrote:

Don't be THAT guy. Don't stop loving your brother because he doesn't like pearl jam. who cares?
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Because music and art are subjective.

For my money...There is no better band than Pearl Jam.

Others...Well...

They pay sky high ticket prices to go see New Kids on The Block reunite???
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    er, well given to fly was kinda stolen from led zep...

not that there's anything wrong with that :).

but yeah I don't know why people don't like pearl jam. as for your brother, around that time it was probably about seeming "cool." A lot of people went against them because they thought they were too mainstream, etc. whenever something is popular, there's a backlash. I think a lot of people who were teenagers or whatever back then still remember not liking them and they just stick to that, but they forget that is was because it wasn't "cool" and not about the music.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Because music and art are subjective.

For my money...There is no better band than Pearl Jam.

Others...Well...

They pay sky high ticket prices to go see New Kids on The Block reunite???

There is no better band than Pearl Jam AND i paid entirely too much for a New Kids On The Black ticket. :D;)
  • Options
    jasonw wrote:
    Don't be THAT guy. Don't stop loving your brother because he doesn't like pearl jam. who cares?

Not loving someone because they don't like a band is ridiculous.

Loving someone because you think you have to is as well.