Options

Eddie on the phone

Corey LynnCorey Lynn Posts: 681
edited July 2008 in The Porch
This is odd, but I have always thought about it after it happened. It was October 18, 1993 (I was 13 years old) and Eddie was on rockline. I sat up all night and listened to it. At the end he gave out his phone number to talk to fans that could not get through on the show.(same show he played Bee Girl for the first time) Well, I wrote down this number that night. I told my sister and her friend about it the next day, never thinking that he would answer, and after trying just a few times they called out to me that he was on the phone. She told him "my sister wants to talk to you". For some reason I froze...I freaked out. I have never wanted to be "that fan", the one who laughs uncomfortably and says "I love you Eddie"....I did not know what to say...so I said nothing at all...I didn't even get on the phone. Then the moment was over. I guess in some way , I may have never wanted him to be real. Even then he was so iconic in my mind, that I did not know where to start... how to tell him that his band had changed my life...that I was allowed a sense of belonging just from listening to his bands music. It was the height of grunge...and I was fully immersed...and I could not find a way to tell my hero what his music meant to me. So, it is 15 years later and they remain one of the dearest things in my life...and given that chance over....I still do not know what the hell I would say....I would not know where to begin. I am not sure that I would pick up the phone and speak, if it happened again tomorrow.

If I knew where it was I would take you there. There's much more than this
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    I am the same way. How do you express to someone, not only that the music they created was enjoyable, but that the music is a soundtrack to your life. That the music helped you through life. That the music is essential to you as breathing or eating.

I remember how I felt in 1991-1994. Even as a youngster I felt the absolute power and certainty that grunge music inside me. I felt like these people were speaking to and about me. It was a special feeling.

I think its hard to in words convey to those jammers who werent born yet, about the grunge heydey. What it meant. What it felt like. How unreal and disturbing Kurt's death was to the whole scene.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    don't feel bad :)

When i had the chance to meet him i didnt really say much either.. I think i said something about baseball and his hat (dork face! :D ) .. Told him i didnt know how the band was gonna put on a better show than the one i had just been to. Ugh, to go back again :D then again im sure if presented in the same situation 100 times over i'd react the same way.. Say something completely off subject and give him a compliment :D

Its just like, oh okay.. eddie vedder is standing right in front of me.. and he is looking at me, to say something... ok ... ok umm, hmmmmmm...

*reality fades*

Too bad he cant give you a ring, i bet you could do it this time :D Could just read off that post and i think that would do the trick
  • Options
    totally unrelated, and sorry if i veer too far off course:

when Mariah Carey first came out, i thought she was the hottest girl ever. And she is from about 5 miles from where I grew up. So i looked her up in the phonebook, thinking she would be in it, because she wasn't famous when the phone book came out. Nothing under Mariah Carey, but there was an M Carey listed for her hometown. So I called it. And she answered. It was definately her, she has a pretty distinctive voice. I asked if mariah was home, she said no, she's not available. I knew it was her, but didn't want to call her out on it. So I just asked "her" to tell mariah that Sean called. She said she would be sure to get her the message, and that was that.
  • Options
    I am the same way. How do you express to someone, not only that the music they created was enjoyable, but that the music is a soundtrack to your life. That the music helped you through life. That the music is essential to you as breathing or eating.

I remember how I felt in 1991-1994. Even as a youngster I felt the absolute power and certainty that grunge music inside me. I felt like these people were speaking to and about me. It was a special feeling.

I think its hard to in words convey to those jammers who werent born yet, about the grunge heydey. What it meant. What it felt like. How unreal and disturbing Kurt's death was to the whole scene.

Well said. Where were you people when my best friend and I were the only girls in my 7th grade class sporting flannel shirts and concert t-shirts? I actually got called to the principals office one day and forced to turn my Led zeppelin Stairway shirt inside out, because it "may be considered satanic." We felt quite alone at times. But, we also knew that we belonged somewhere and did not care that it was not where we were.

• Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    Corey Lynn wrote:
    Well said. Where were you people when my best friend and I were the only girls in my 7th grade class sporting flannel shirts and concert t-shirts? I actually got called to the principals office one day and forced to turn my led zeppelin Stairway shirt inside out, because it "may be considered satanic." We felt quite alone. But, we also knew that we belonged somewhere and did not care that it was not where we were.

I know what you mean. Music gives me that sense of purpose too. It feels like I belong somewhere when I listen to it.

By the way, as an aside, I got to bag groceries for Frank Black twice and saw him on the public bus, as well as just in the grocery store in general. I got to say to him "I enjoy your music". Even saying that I felt like an idiot. But still, I know what you mean about ed. I freeze up, and I did freeze up with Frank Black.
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    1 or 2 years ago i actually practiced what i'd say if i met him. during class i got bored and actually wrote out what i'd say! i wish i had that piece of paper now, i wonder what it said and if i still feel the same.. now i need to go off and make a new one so that i'd have something to say when i meet him because i KNOW i'd just giggle nervously, tremble, then collapse, all the while trying to spout the words "i love you!" out of my mouth.

come to think of it i also have an unsent father's day card for him......
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    totally unrelated, and sorry if i veer too far off course:

when Mariah Carey first came out, i thought she was the hottest girl ever. And she is from about 5 miles from where I grew up. So i looked her up in the phonebook, thinking she would be in it, because she wasn't famous when the phone book came out. Nothing under Mariah Carey, but there was an M Carey listed for her hometown. So I called it. And she answered. It was definately her, she has a pretty distinctive voice. I asked if mariah was home, she said no, she's not available. I knew it was her, but didn't want to call her out on it. So I just asked "her" to tell mariah that Sean called. She said she would be sure to get her the message, and that was that.

i cant quit laughing at this story, the more i think about it the funnier it is
  • Options
    Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    Corey Lynn wrote:
    Well said. Where were you people when my best friend and I were the only girls in my 7th grade class sporting flannel shirts and concert t-shirts? I actually got called to the principals office one day and forced to turn my Led zeppelin Stairway shirt inside out, because it "may be considered satanic." We felt quite alone at times. But, we also knew that we belonged somewhere and did not care that it was not where we were.

I hope you told the principal to F*** off :)
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    This thread is a tad frightening.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    i KNOW i'd just giggle nervously, tremble, then collapse, all the while trying to spout the words "i love you!" out of my mouth.
    :D Hahhaaha... me too.

This is a funny thread... Love the mariah story :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    tie-dye ladytie-dye lady Posts: 305
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    Agreed. You worn your flannels to your 7th grade class. I wore mine to the office. Let me tell you, not the smartest move one could ever make. Especially if one is trying to score that coveted management position ;-P

Call me old-fashioned if you will but i have one specific day every week where I wear my flannel shirt and doc martens to the office. Thankfully, my new company doesn't give a fuck about what you wear to work as long as it's not a mid-riff bearing, tiny ass shirt.

I wore out my flannel and I've moved onto the zip hoodie. I can wear it everyday to work, along with my boots and my tie-dye PJ shirts of course...I'm the grocery manager at a granola store, I can wear what I want and it's really, really nice - one of the many things I love about my job!!!! It's much easier to take on the world when you feel comfortable being you.
    Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation. ~ Nature, Emerson
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585

I don't think so....

Calling Ed (when he gave his actual phone number on the radio) at age 13 not frightening or weird at all.... actually very much 13 year old-ish thing to do...

now... calling Ed at age 30 ...hmmmm that would be frightening! :eek:

To the OP, I think I would have reacted the same way, when I met Mike on 03 I was was speechless... literally :( and I can't imagine what would happen if I meet Ed, probably blush and giggle like a school girl? Who knows?
    I guess no one can plan what you would do at that second in time, for all I know I might the most eloquent person the day I meet Ed - LOL! :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options

Agreed. Remind me to go unlisted if I ever remotely approach fame. :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Agreed. Remind me to go unlisted if I ever remotely approach fame. :p

You really think so?

We are talking about this girl calling when Ed himself gave out his phone number 15 years ago and she was 13!

I dont see that so frightening... like I said if the girl was telling us she wondered upon Ed's phone number yesterday and she gave him a call at age 28 that would be freaky.... :D
  • Options
    You really think so?

We are talking about this girl calling when Ed himself gave out his phone number 15 years ago and she was 13!

I dont see that so frightening... like I said if the girl was telling us she wondered upon Ed's phone number yesterday and she gave him a call at age 28 that would be freaky....

I was really just joking. :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    I was really just joking. :)

my sarcasm radar has been broken for a few days now :o and let me add a smiley to my previous post as I didn't mean for it to be so serious either ...
  • Options
    jnikojniko Posts: 292
    I talked to Edddie on the phone once. A friend of mine was out with him and had him call me at home. It was midnite and the phone rang. I picked up and it was fucking Eddie Vedder. I totally flipped out. I talked to him for about 15 minutes. I told him I was out in Italy and caught the show in Pistoia. I asked him some questions and than my wife talked to him for a while. The next day my friend called me and said Eddie was going to sign a guitar for me. He did and he personally signed it and drew a picture of the tower in Pistoia that's in the DVD. Eddie is a totally cool guy.
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    jniko wrote:
    I talked to Edddie on the phone once. A friend of mine was out with him and had him call me at home. It was midnite and the phone rang. I picked up and it was fucking Eddie Vedder. I totally flipped out. I talked to him for about 15 minutes. I told him I was out in Italy and caught the show in Pistoia. I asked him some questions and than my wife talked to him for a while. The next day my friend called me and said Eddie was going to sign a guitar for me. He did and he personally signed it and drew a picture of the tower in Pistoia that's in the DVD. Eddie is a totally cool guy.
    Really????
    Really???
    Seriously?
    I can't believe it
    I can't believe that He is so cool... Sure, I want too:)
    What to say, what to say;)
    I wonder what Eddie was thinking when all of You and other called Him and tried to say something what would had sense. Did He have fun?Or maybe He understood completly what the person meant?
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    ok, ok
    still try to think He is just a man, like we all...
    And it's still hard. Sorry Ed, You know how it feels. Probably. When You met Pete Townshend. Maybe it was similar?
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    anything i could say to him would be a complete cliche at this point in his career... i hope he could feel my appreciation for him and the band when we made eye contact at the vic show... i think seeing my enthusiasm in his element means more than anything i could say running into him on the street or over the phone... i would be upset if we didnt strike up a great conversation and exchange phone numbers and be friends forever... so my expectations would be WAY too high if we were to meet :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    edited March 2009
    Post edited by Surf Rider on
  • Options
    BMoore09BMoore09 Posts: 177
    keep the #?
    West Palm Beach I, WPB II, Tampa, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville 2000
    West Palm Beach 2003
    Tampa 2003
    The VIC - Chicago 2007
    West Palm Beach 2008
    Tampa 2008
    Ed Solo 2008 NYC
    Philly 10/30/2009
    Columbus 2010
  • Options
    vic in T.O.vic in T.O. Posts: 385
    pretty funny because i tried calling in that night as well....it was the night before VS was released and Ed gave out his number and encouraged people to call and chat...i tried the number because i really didnt think it would have been his number,i never got through but apparently it was his real number from stories ive read on this board.I still have that whole show on cassette
    8/18/93-Toronto
    9/21/96-T.O
    10/1/96- Buff.
    8/22/98-Barrie
    10/5/00-T.O
    5/2/03-Buff.
    6/28/03-T.O.
    6/29/03-MTL.
    9/28/04-Bos.
    9/11/05-Kitchener
    9/12/05-London
    9/13/05-Hamilton
    9/19/05-T.O.
    5/9/06-T.O.
    5/10/06-T.O.
    E.V 08/12&13-MASSEY!!
  • Options
    Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    I dont see that so frightening...

The phone, I can understand... the unsent Father's Day card... uhhhhhhhhhh. :D
  • Options
    FrankieJFrankieJ Posts: 602
    Hey, I have a similar story to jniko. I came home one night and Ed called my house. I was so surprised. We talked for awhile, aked questions, it was so surreal. He called back the next week, and hes a really cool guy. But i didn't get anything signed :(, But that is ok cause I talked to him. :D
    BMoore09 wrote:
    keep the #?

Hell Yeah!!! :D

But I heard he got a new number. :( But I'n not sure.:)
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS
    7/14/03-PNC NJ ~ 6/1/06-CAA1 NJ ~ 6/3/06-CAA2 NJ ~ 8/5/07-Lolla IL ~ 6/24/08-MSG1 ~ 6/25/08-MSG2 ~ 8/7/08-NJPAC (eV Solo)

"I'm feeling kinda righteous right now...with my Bad@$$-M0therf*ck!n'-Ukulele!"
    -eV 8/7
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    Corey Lynn wrote:
    This is odd, but I have always thought about it after it happened. It was October 18, 1993 (I was 13 years old) and Eddie was on rockline. I sat up all night and listened to it. At the end he gave out his phone number to talk to fans that could not get through on the show.(same show he played Bee Girl for the first time) Well, I wrote down this number that night. I told my sister and her friend about it the next day, never thinking that he would answer, and after trying just a few times they called out to me that he was on the phone. She told him "my sister wants to talk to you". For some reason I froze...I freaked out. I have never wanted to be "that fan", the one who laughs uncomfortably and says "I love you Eddie"....I did not know what to say...so I said nothing at all...I didn't even get on the phone. Then the moment was over. I guess in some way , I may have never wanted him to be real. Even then he was so iconic in my mind, that I did not know where to start... how to tell him that his band had changed my life...that I was allowed a sense of belonging just from listening to his bands music. It was the height of grunge...and I was fully immersed...and I could not find a way to tell my hero what his music meant to me. So, it is 15 years later and they remain one of the dearest things in my life...and given that chance over....I still do not know what the hell I would say....I would not know where to begin. I am not sure that I would pick up the phone and speak, if it happened again tomorrow.

I agree and would be tongue tied as well I think. I think for me though it is more about not wanting to sound like I was just a crazy fan (because I love him --his music is what I really do mean---doesn't make me crazy......???? see what I mean, I am, sounding crazy) and also I would be afraid that I would sound like such an ass that I would totally be making an ass out of myself just because I was so nervous.
    Now if I met him just as a regular person then I think it would be totally cool because there are certain things that I find cool about him as a person; just like any other people that I might meet or want to meet.
    But in your situation I would be totally choked up.
    Ok, though come clean.....how many times did you want to dial that number after that just for the hell of it?
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options

may I ask, are you 33? Then you dear are my youngster........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    i cant quit laughing at this story, the more i think about it the funnier it is

ok, then I have another one.

In 1994 PJ was in Chicago. I heard Eddie was recording at a studio on Halsted Street, way the other way from Greek Town (ok so even local geography is not my strength). So, I took my two combat boot wearing sons, then 4 and 2 and my baby boy Jeremy with me downtown, past some recording studio and asked if Eddie Vedder was there to some window washer. He said, "I am not at liberty to say", which was most likely fucking with me, but I took it as "he is here!".

Long time ago. I was a lot younger. Now I would feel weird. But I think of it and laugh still.

• Options
    writersu wrote:
    I agree and would be tongue tied as well I think. I think for me though it is more about not wanting to sound like I was just a crazy fan (because I love him --his music is what I really do mean---doesn't make me crazy......???? see what I mean, I am, sounding crazy) and also I would be afraid that I would sound like such an ass that I would totally be making an ass out of myself just because I was so nervous.
    Now if I met him just as a regular person then I think it would be totally cool because there are certain things that I find cool about him as a person; just like any other people that I might meet or want to meet.
    But in your situation I would be totally choked up.
    Ok, though come clean.....how many times did you want to dial that number after that just for the hell of it?

Lol. I guess I did want to dial the number again...but, I did not.

• Options
    jniko wrote:

ok, so on the "one away from" ,mindset, can I hang around with you and your wife and that friend who hangs out with Eddie?