Options

Stop calling it WORLD WAR 3, you morons in the media

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
Is anyone else seriously pissed about this? What's happening over in Lebanon and Israel is a CRISIS, not WORLD WAR fucking THREE. It's just more of the media trying to gather ratings over a tragic situation. It makes me sick. This is not World War 3. I'm not being unrealistic... by all means, it could turn into a third world war, but for God's sake, we're not there yet.

This media of ours makes me sick. End rant.
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    robbierobbie Posts: 882
    youll notice lunatics like bill o'riley, sean hannity, and newt g. are the ones pressing the ww3 lingo. i suppose they figure if we actually believe we are in ww3 we will be more inclined to panic and vote for war mongers in 2006-2008. mabey they figure that in the extreme circumstance of this "world war" that W, can sidestep the constitution again and keep his post well past his 8 year term. it works to scare people, if they just toss in the fact that god wants him to still be president we might have a leader for life. thats how sith lord palpatine did it anyways........
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    DOSW wrote:
    Is anyone else seriously pissed about this? What's happening over in Lebanon and Israel is a CRISIS, not WORLD WAR fucking THREE. It's just more of the media trying to gather ratings over a tragic situation. It makes me sick. This is not World War 3. I'm not being unrealistic... by all means, it could turn into a third world war, but for God's sake, we're not there yet.

Only WW3 when two super-powers (ie USA, Russia, China, etc.) go head to head; I would then call that WW3.....
  • Options
    robbie wrote:
    youll notice lunatics like bill o'riley, sean hannity, and newt g. are the ones pressing the ww3 lingo. i suppose they figure if we actually believe we are in ww3 we will be more inclined to panic and vote for war mongers in 2006-2008. mabey they figure that in the extreme circumstance of this "world war" that W, can sidestep the constitution again and keep his post well past his 8 year term. it works to scare people, if they just toss in the fact that god wants him to still be president we might have a leader for life. thats how sith lord palpatine did it anyways........

Whats worse is the nuts that are happy with this situation because its a sign the rapture is coming....seen this from an example of a Raptrue message board...now that is crazy...
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Only WW3 when two super-powers (ie USA, Russia, China, etc.) go head to head; I would then call that WW3.....

Exactly, because this type of thing happens all the time, we would be on World War 25 by now if this was a World War. A World War is defined as a war involving two super powers. If Russia gets involved in this, as they might do, then we will have WW3.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    How many countries need to be involved before it is rightfully deemed WWIII?

2 superpowers is the wrong answer.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    robbie wrote:
    i suppose they figure if we actually believe we are in ww3 we will be more inclined to panic and vote for war mongers in 2006-2008. mabey they figure that in the extreme circumstance of this "world war" that W, can sidestep the constitution again and keep his post well past his 8 year term.

I think that's a little extreme. I still say it's just for ratings.
  • Options
    Milestone wrote:

I would say a world war is a war involving a large number of nations. If the US went to war with Russia, then two sides fighting isn't exactly a world war.
  • Options
    Milestone wrote:

WW1 Germany vs Britain/USA
    WW2 Germany vs Britain/Russia/USA

No, explain to me how the logic of two superpowers is wrong....you need at least 2 superpowers going head 2 head before it would be called a WW....
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    So we all saw the Colbert Report last night? Who was that guy who said "World War 4"? ... It provided the only good laugh I had all day!!!
  • Options
    If the Arabic countries put aside their differences and attacked a common enemy (Israel) then it would esculate into WW3 as U.S/Britian and co would defend Israel. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Israel took them all on and won.....
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    So we all saw the Colbert Report last night? Who was that guy who said "World War 4"? ... It provided the only good laugh I had all day!!!

They replayed that tonight, and I don't know.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    DOSW wrote:

Yeah! Stupid media.. World War 3 is supposed to be between the humans and cyborgs!!!
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Kenny Olav wrote:

Haha ... Truly? That's awesome, in a "WTF is wrong with this guy's head" sort of way ...
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Haha ... Truly? That's awesome, in a "WTF is wrong with this guy's head" sort of way ...

I love Colbert.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    hailhailkchailhailkc Posts: 582
    Whats worse is the nuts that are happy with this situation because its a sign the rapture is coming....seen this from an example of a Raptrue message board...now that is crazy...

What's worse is the nuts that are happy with this situation because they THINK that people who believe in the rapture are actually happy that this situation is happening…thus giving said nuts permission to bash on people who believe in the rapture and the second coming of Christ.

No one is applauding war, or hoping for WWIII in order for the rapture to happen. That's YOUR assesment of what OTHER people like myself think, and…you're wrong.
    MOSSAD NATO Alphabet Stations (E10)
    High Traffic ART EZI FTJ JSR KPA PCD SYN ULX VLB YHF
    Low Traffic CIO MIW
    Non Traffic ABC BAY FDU GBZ HNC NDP OEM ROV TMS ZWL
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    hailhailkc wrote:
    What's worse is the nuts that are happy with this situation because they THINK that people who believe in the rapture are actually happy that this situation is happening…thus giving said nuts permission to bash on people who believe in the rapture and the second coming of Christ.

No one is applauding war, or hoping for WWIII in order for the rapture to happen. That's YOUR assesment of what OTHER people like myself think, and…you're wrong.
    Sorry hhkc ... I know that YOU are not applauding this war, but don't say that no one is. Rockin'InCanada is right, the NUTS are quite happy.

http://blogs.salon.com/0003494/2006/07/15.html

From a "nut" message board:

"Is it time to get excited? I can't help the way I feel. For the first time in my Christian walk, I have no doubts that the day of the Lords appearing is upon us. I have never felt this way before, I have a joy that bubbles up every-time I think of him, for I know this is truly the time I have waited for so long. Am I alone in feeling guilty about the human suffering like my joy at his appearing some how fuels the evil I see everywhere. If it were not for the souls that hang in the balance and the horror that stalks man daily on this earth, my joy would be complete. For those of us who await his arrival know, somehow we just know it won't be long now, the Bridegroom cometh rather man is ready are not."

"How can we not be excited, our redeemer cometh. We should pray always for the lost. But he is coming. Amen Amen ever so come lord Jesus."

"Ready, waiting and excited here! Still telling others whenever possible that the rapture could take place at any time because this world is in such a big MESS and evidently it goes through one ear and right out the other."

"I am excited beyond words that the struggle of this life may be over soon and I can finally be FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!"

"too am soooo excited!! I get goose bumps, literally, when I watch what's going on in the M.E.!! And Watcherboy, you were so right when saying it was quite a day yesterday, in the world news, and I add in local news here in the Boston area!! Tunnel ceiling collapsed on a car and killed a woman of faith, and we had the most terrifying storms I have ever seen here!! But, yes, Ohappyday, like in your screen name , it is most indeed a time to be happy and excited, right there with ya!!"

Yay! There's a big war, AND a woman of faith got crushed by a collapsed tunnel! Terrifying storms too! Does it even get any better than this? :rolleyes:

It goes on and on like this, post after post. These people are sick.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    WastedteenWastedteen Posts: 17
    The necons like to insist that this war we are in now, the "War on Terror" for our survival, is World War 4. They believe the Cold War (which they had hoped would become a "hot" one) was in fact a global conflict that escalated nuclear proliferation and that it's a shame that we never got to use 'em.

Does anyone else agree with me on these neocon bastards? If you're wondering what I'm talking about just look at Fox News, the Weekly Standard, the Washington Times, World Net Daily, National Review and the Wall Street Journal (all part of that big "liberal media" conglomerate I know). Guys and girls like Krauthammer, Kristol, Coulter, Barnes
  • Options
    Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    It started long before this past weeks events.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    caifan82caifan82 Mexico City Posts: 321

No, explain to me how the logic of two superpowers is wrong....you need at least 2 superpowers going head 2 head before it would be called a WW....

Wasn't it more like:
    WW1 Germany/Austria/Hungary/Ottoman empire vs France/Britain/USA/Italy
    WW2: Germany/Japan/Italy vs France/Britain/Soviet Union/USA + some other little countries mixed in there?
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787

I think you could also call two superpowers going head 2 head a "Smackdown". By definition, a world war would involve "the world", or a good proportion of it, I would say. Israel vs. Lebanon is certaintly not worthy of "World War" status. Those crazy Fox News people. Always trying to stir up trouble. I liked the Daily Show take on it. They called it something like "Crisis in the Middle East - Day # 3,892".
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    It sure has taken the heat off of the US in Iraq. Are you still there????? If it gets the public thinking the right way. Which of course is the wrong way. The media are doing their part in getting the public ready for whatever a government may do. And as we see in the past, no recourse from the public shall be heeded or tolerated in any decision that is taken.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    i'm sorry i missed this one yesterday. in the classic "partial facts used" theme of the board; many facts were not mentioned. like china; the us; and russia drawing lines in the sand with north korea. iran is pushing the us's buttons too.
    so at this time we have 9 countries actively involved in war like activities.
    you don't need bombs and guns to start a war; only to finish one.
  • Options

Oh. My. God. Did they forget to teach history at your school? Japan had nothing to do with WW2...neither did Canada or Australia or many many other countries around the world. Yeah, I'm a history teacher but this is pretty common knowledge stuff.

List of countries involved in WW1: http://uk.encarta.msn.com/media_461531572_761569981_-1_1/Nations_Involved_in_World_War_I.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:WWI-re.png

List of countries involved in WW2; you'll see that nearly every country in the world was involved (the larger countries obviously doing the majority of the fighting--the smaller countries providing what they could to their allies.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:WWII.png

A World War is defined as a war involving many or major nations in the world.
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 818
    DOSW wrote:
    Is anyone else seriously pissed about this? What's happening over in Lebanon and Israel is a CRISIS, not WORLD WAR fucking THREE. It's just more of the media trying to gather ratings over a tragic situation. It makes me sick. This is not World War 3. I'm not being unrealistic... by all means, it could turn into a third world war, but for God's sake, we're not there yet. This media of ours makes me sick. End rant.

I think it's more along the lines of wishful thinking.

I for one have a "sick" (some of you may call it) "storm chaser" type mentality, and I get excited by deadly natural and man made disasters, including storms, epidemics, and wars.

I was born in 1972, so I missed out on Vietnam, and I've never experienced anything of the above, but I just think there are too many people on this Earth already. I fear the day when our population explosion of tens of billions of people really starts accelerating the destruction of the atmosphere and speeds up the end of human life as we know it.

Granted, I feel for the innocent victims, and even shed some tears after 9/11, so if a nuke went off in Indy, it would suck...BUT...it would sure be exciting!

And if they draft my 33 year "old" ass, it will give me an excuse to move to Canada! I'd have no problem fighting, but I wouldn't want to leave my babies if I had the choice.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182

A World War is defined as a war involving many or major nations in the world.

i agree with this, not just two superpower, but usually the superpower start it or declare it, then their allies follow... in the current middle east i guess it would mean Lebanon answering to Israel, then each countries allies would step into it.

But right now, Israel are bombing Lebanon and are chasing terrorist, it's not even a WAR...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    i agree with this, not just two superpower, but usually the superpower start it or declare it, then their allies follow... in the current middle east i guess it would mean Lebanon answering to Israel, then each countries allies would step into it.

But right now, Israel are bombing Lebanon and are chasing terrorist, it's not even a WAR...

I meant at least two super-powers would need to meet head to head...my comment was meant to be understood that many nations would also have to become involved....but to make it truely global two superpowers would need to play a role....as they will force the fight to include other nations borders....
  • Options
    I meant at least two super-powers would need to meet head to head...my comment was meant to be understood that many nations would also have to become involved....but to make it truely global two superpowers would need to play a role....as they will force the fight to include other nations borders....

I see what you mean, but the "super-powers" idea doesn't need to be there. I would argue that there were no true global superpowers as we know them today at the start of WW2 for example. The U.S. was definitely wasn't. Japan was trying to become one. Germany was trying to become one. They didn't have the resources to be superpowers hence the invasions of other countries. What WW2 did was mobilize two sleeping giants-- The U.S. and the U.S.S.R.--both of which would become superpowers by the end of the war.
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    I see what you mean, but the "super-powers" idea doesn't need to be there. I would argue that there were no true global superpowers as we know them today at the start of WW2 for example. The U.S. was definitely wasn't. Japan was trying to become one. Germany was trying to become one. They didn't have the resources to be superpowers hence the invasions of other countries. What WW2 did was mobilize two sleeping giants-- The U.S. and the U.S.S.R.--both of which would become superpowers by the end of the war.

that's the way i see it too. in addition; anyone can become a super power by owning a few nukes.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    Yay! There's a big war, AND a woman of faith got crushed by a collapsed tunnel! Terrifying storms too! Does it even get any better than this? :rolleyes:

It goes on and on like this, post after post. These people are sick.

...as they furiously masturbate to their Left Behind movies.

From my experience, most of these people lead really sad little lives and are filled with bitterness that things didn't work out for them in whatever way. They spend 1/2 their time cursing everything around them and the other 1/2 wishing for the Rapture.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 818
    ...as they furiously masturbate to their Left Behind movies.

From my experience, most of these people lead really sad little lives and are filled with bitterness that things didn't work out for them in whatever way. They spend 1/2 their time cursing everything around them and the other 1/2 wishing for the Rapture.

I agree. I think religion does more harm than good, especially on an international scale. They're foolish, weak minded, and generally unsuccessful, so they turn their attention to "The Great Almighty In The Sky" to make their lives whole. Religion should be banned...God or no God.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!