Options

I'm Going To Stop You There, Mr. Galloway

13»

Comments

• Options
    dg1979usdg1979us Posts: 568
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Of course. Hizbollah should stop firing rockets into Israel. On the other hand, we ourselves need to stop fuelling the flames of terrorism by engaging in state terrorism ourselves and provoking these people.

Controversially, it could be said Israel is more or less a group funded by the U.S and operating out of Palestine.

But Israel is a nation. I am with you on some points here. I dont like the US funding Israel, especially not to the degree to which we do it. And I would also like to see a Palestinian state. But I wouldnt consider Israel a "group". They are country that is recognized by the UN. Hezbollah is an organization funded by several nations, and not recognized as a legitimate govt or military by the UN. Hezbollah is more like a well organized mob unit that has state backing. State backing by states other than the primary one in which they operate I might add.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    dg1979us wrote:
    But Israel is a nation. I am with you on some points here. I dont like the US funding Israel, especially not to the degree to which we do it. And I would also like to see a Palestinian state. But I wouldnt consider Israel a "group". They are country that is recognized by the UN. Hezbollah is an organization funded by several nations, and not recognized as a legitimate govt or military by the UN. Hezbollah is more like a well organized mob unit that has state backing. State backing by states other than the primary one in which they operate I might add.

I just cut and pasted your sentence. I should have changed the word 'group' when doing so.

Israel is a country that is recognized by the UN, and which is currently in breach of over 60 U.N Security council resolutions - those resolutions which, miraculously, weren't vetoed by the U.S.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I just cut and pasted your sentence. I should have changed the word 'group' when doing so.

Israel is a country that is recognized by the UN, and which is currently in breach of over 60 U.N Security council resolutions - those resolutions which, miraculously, weren't vetoed by the U.S.

I realize that. So, this somehow justifies Iran backing a terrorist group to the point where that group is now stronger than the legimate government in Lebanon. Im not excusing Israel, and I havent this entire thread. But I fail to see, how when I condemn Hezbollah, your response is to bring up points about Israel, which I have repeatedly already agreed with you on. You seem a little reluctant to discuss the nature of Hezbollah.
  • Options
    dg1979us wrote:
    I realize that. So, this somehow justifies Iran backing a terrorist group to the point where that group is now stronger than the legimate government in Lebanon. Im not excusing Israel, and I havent this entire thread. But I fail to see, how when I condemn Hezbollah, your response is to bring up points about Israel, which I have repeatedly already agreed with you on. You seem a little reluctant to discuss the nature of Hezbollah.

The nature of Hizbollah? I'm not sure what you want me to say. I believe that as a defence against Israel they are a legitimate force. I'm not sure what the Lebanese army are doing at the moment. They seem to be pretty ineffectual. I suppose the strength of Hizbollah in Lebanon, both politically and militarily stems from the weakness of any alternative. The reason they have remained as a force in Lebanon after Israels withdrawal in 1982 is because of the Shebaa farms dispute, the prisoner issue, and repeated Israeli incursions, along with the ongoing volatile situation in the West Bank.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    The nature of Hizbollah? I'm not sure what you want me to say. I believe that as a defence against Israel they are a legitimate force. I'm not sure what the Lebanese army are doing at the moment. They seem to be pretty ineffectual. I suppose the strength of Hizbollah in Lebanon, both politically and militarily stems from the weakness of any alternative. The reason they have remained as a force in Lebanon after Israels withdrawal in 1982 is because of the Shebaa farms dispute, the prisoner issue, and repeated Israeli incursions, along with the ongoing volatile situation in the West Bank.

The Lebanese army would be crushed by either Israel, or Hezbollah for one. For two, if the Lebanese army would engage in battle, it would be against Hezbollah, not Israel. The Lebanese govt has a great interest in Hezbollah not operating within their borders, because now they are nothing more than a figurehead with no real power. The country of Lebanon is more or less controlled by a group supplied arms and funding by Iran.

And the weakness doesnt stem from no alternative. It stems from a large group being funded by at least 2 other nations operating within your borders. The weakness more or less stems from IRan and Syria.
  • Options
    dg1979us wrote:
    The Lebanese army would be crushed by either Israel, or Hezbollah for one. For two, if the Lebanese army would engage in battle, it would be against Hezbollah, not Israel. The Lebanese govt has a great interest in Hezbollah not operating within their borders, because now they are nothing more than a figurehead with no real power. The country of Lebanon is more or less controlled by a group supplied arms and funding by Iran.

And the weakness doesnt stem from no alternative. It stems from a large group being funded by at least 2 other nations operating within your borders. The weakness more or less stems from Iran and Syria.

Hizbollah certainly couldn't exist as they do without large popluar support from the Lebanese population.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Hizbollah certainly couldn't exist as they do without large popluar support from the Lebanese population.

I dont know if it is support or just turning a blind eye to them, or just intimidated by them. But, at this point it doesnt matter, there is no logical reason in the world the lebanese government, or its people, would benefit from Hezbollah staying around.