Options

Anti Zionism is Anti Semitism

2»

Comments

• Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    brianjd wrote:
    is actually correct on this sliver of history. the palestinians were to have state but when they and united arab countires decided they were entitled to more than the UN gratned them, they violated international decree for the first time and invaded newly independent Israel and were roundly defeated by a rag tag group of jews. So, in short, they fucked it up for themselves

The UN didn't get involved until after 1948. You jumped ahead like 20 years in history. Look at the above dates again 1917/1922.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    brianjdbrianjd Posts: 201
    WIKIPEDIA -UN Partition Plan
    Main article: 1947 UN Partition Plan
    On 29 November 1947 the United Nations General Assembly approved a plan, UN General Assembly Resolution 181, to resolve the Arab-Jewish conflict by partitioning the British Mandate of Palestine into two states, one Jewish and one Arab. Each state would comprise three major sections, linked by extraterritorial crossroads; the Arab state would also have an enclave at Jaffa. In consideration of their religious significance, the Jerusalem area, including Bethlehem, was assigned to an international zone to be administered by the UN. Although both Jews and Arabs criticized aspects of the plan, the resolution was welcomed by most of the Jewish population, including the Jewish Agency, but was considered unacceptable by the Arab population in Palestine and by the surrounding Arab states.
    [edit]
    Political objectives of the protagonists

[edit]
    The Arab Higher Committee of Amin al-Husayni
    Main article: Amin al-Husayni
    The Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Amin al-Husayni, the Chairman of the Arab Higher Committee collaborated with Nazi Germany during the Second World War. In 1940, he asked the Axis powers to acknowledge the Arab right, "to settle the question of Jewish elements in Palestine and other Arab countries in accordance with the national and racial interests of the Arabs and along the lines similar to those used to solve the Jewish question in Germany and Italy."[citation needed] He spent the second half of WWII in Germany making radio broadcasts exhorting Muslims to ally with the Nazis in war against their common enemies. In one of these broadcasts, he said, "Arabs, arise as one man and fight for your sacred rights. Kill Jews wherever you find them. This pleases God, history, and religion. This saves your honor. God is with you."[19] [20] In the immediate aftermath of the Holocaust, such statements by Arab leaders (along with the Mufti's violently antisemitic history) led to a widespread belief that the Israelis were facing a new “warrant for genocide.”[citation needed]
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    The arabs are semites too. :)
  • Options
    enharmonic wrote:
    The arabs are semites too. :)

True ... In fact, Arabs are Caucasians!

However, the term "anti-Semite" has come to refer to Jewish people specifically. Its not correct, but that's the common usage.
  • Options
    brianjd wrote:
    Thats for you to decide. I think MLK was simply saying that after the Holocaust it is no longer ok to hate jews for being jews.
    He was saying a quite lot more than that in that quote. I am rubbed completely the wrong way by the overt nationalism expressed there-in. I am myself quite anti-nationalistic. (Mind you, nationalism is something completely different than mere local patriotism.)
    Some people, and some found on this board, have used the word Zionist or their purported hate for Zionistis as a way of expressing what is truly anti semitism disguised as anti Zionism.
    I cannot speak for those others, but it is possible to fiercly oppose a lot of what Israel (the state) does without being an indirect or direct anti-semite. Some of them may be anti-semites, I wouldn't know. But I dont think it fair to imply that people being critical is automatically anti-semite. That's like questioning the Iraq war is being anti- or unamerican. However, I can agree to things here often being very one-sided one way or the other, while I think responsibility should be handed out generously to many factions on all sides.
    I think that is what the speech meant and that is why I posted it. Whether it applies to you is up to you. Based on your comments I dont think so but cant say the same for some others on this board.
    Well thanks for that. I don't consider myself an anti-semite. My favorite sociologist is a polish jew after all (Zygmunt Bauman).

But that MLK-quote made me pretty uncomfortable with it's blatant nationalism and one-sided representation. MLK is allowed to say and believe what he wants of course, but I dont have to applaud it.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965