Options

"Shut up, just shut up"

Comments

• Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    NMyTree wrote:
    To discourage freedom of speech and criticism of the powers that be, is anti-american. Regardless of what side your on or what side you criticize.

The minute you tell someone to shut up and keep their opinions to themselves (discourage speaking out), you've violated what being an american is all about.

The minute you attempt to silence, suppress, marginalize or eliminate oppositional opinions; you are in violation of other individual's freedoms and rights. You are in violation of America.

Well said.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    Very well said indeed.
  • Options
    Video: Freak Out!

Good stuff, Ann vs Fox
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Video: Franken vs Oreilly

This is good. It's not the one where Oreilly yells at Franken "Shut up, you had your 35 minutes"
  • Options
    Video: O'reilly on Lebanon

Spin... spin.

First of all, the concept of who fired the first shot is irrelevant. We are dealing with a force (Hezbollah) that has a purpose. That purpose was initially to drive Israel out of the Sheeba Farms. They succeeded in doing that. However, Hezbollah still exists, there must be another reason for their existance. Judging by the history of this group being a liberation force, we should look to a possible humanitarian cause. We know that there is a long history of stress in the Middle-East, a long history of conflict with Israel and the United States.

Therefore a (self-proclaimed) "Journalist" should give scrutiny to the motives of Hezbollah. Echoing the view of the United States administration without scrutiny is a direct display of partisanship. O'reilly claims that Hezbollah acted first, omitting the fact that Hezbollah and Israel have been at conflict for 6 years over captured Lebonese citizens. They have made several exchanges since Hezbollah was created in 2000. So the military operation was not unprecedented. He then spins the story to affect his viewers emotionaly, while demonizing Hezbollah. Again omitting the fact that every militarized nation in the world has rockets and nuclear bombs targetting each other. It's not an isolated incident. The cold war never ended, a "cease-fire" was called that was eventually forgotten about. The threat still exists. With intercontinental balistic missles in various nations around the world. A nuclear bomb could be launched (or planted) anywhere in the world, any time.

Bill uses an analogy that mexicans capture american soldiers. Then the "mexican government" - not a "terror group" or resistance faction - claims to have missiles aimed at the United States. This is a total falsification of facts, a media spin to the bennefit of the administration's perspective and the continued slaughter of Lebonese civilians, attacks on the Lebonese government and another decade or more of Israeli occupation. Completely disgusting and I can't believe anyone agrees with O'reilly. I am amazed this guy is allowed to speak on national television and spread his ignorant and sensational lies and garbage.
  • Options
    EvilToasterElfEvilToasterElf Posts: 1,119
    Ahnimus wrote:
    http://www.giveupblog.com/hitlercoulterquiz.html

Ann Coulter or Hitler, guess who made the statment

I only got 3 wrong - dunno if that's good or not
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Ahnimus wrote:
    http://www.giveupblog.com/hitlercoulterquiz.html

Ann Coulter or Hitler, guess who made the statment
    I got them all right, it was easy. The literate sounding responses are Hitler's. The mind-bendingly dumb sounding quotes are Coulter.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    surferdude wrote:
    If you want to turn it into a pissing match I can spend the time to look up and quote the blow hards on the left. But I don't see the point. More than enough info is out there about how untruthful Michael Moore is, and if forced I could find some truly ignorant quotes by Eddie. In fact you could do a search in this forum and find some.

So you're a fan of Ann Coulter then? And feel personally insulted when people criticize her. You aren't related to her are you?
    By the way, I read some of the so-called "...enough info is out there about how untruthful Michael Moore is.." and found it to be complete tosh which evades the facts and simply harps on about how the "central themes" of his work are "misleading" and other such wishy washy crap. Please feel free to provide some concrete examples.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Michael Moore deserves no respect I agree with you and I personally don't care what Eddie Vedder's political opinions are. What I am talking about here is journalists, people that have a moral requirement to remain objective and not opinionated.
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Man, the US media is direct improvement on Hitler's propaganda machine. What makes me sick is people actually believe this crap.

Have you not just contradicted yourself?
    So Michael Moore deserves no respect eh? Someone who has brought important issues into the limelight and who shone a critical light upon the clown that is George Dubya - something that most Americans haven't had the balls to do! Would you have preferred it if Fareheit 9/11 hadn't been made? What exactly is your issue with the movie? Please elaborate.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Have you not just contradicted yourself?

I don't see how, please elaborate.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I don't see how, please elaborate.

Apologies! I've just noted that you claimed that Ann Coulter and Bill O'reilly were/are journalists.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    I got them all right, it was easy. The literate sounding responses are Hitler's. The mind-bendingly dumb sounding quotes are Coulter.
    lmao.

okay, having seen that site alone i'm ready to leave the forum.

thank you :p
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Apologies! I've just noted that you claimed that Ann Coulter and Bill O'reilly were/are journalists.
    ^^ i'd like to add this to my last post too.

i love you guys sometimes..

some of you.. ;)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Byrnzie wrote:
    So you're a fan of Ann Coulter then? And feel personally insulted when people criticize her. You aren't related to her are you?
    By the way, I read some of the so-called "...enough info is out there about how untruthful Michael Moore is.." and found it to be complete tosh which evades the facts and simply harps on about how the "central themes" of his work are "misleading" and other such wishy washy crap. Please feel free to provide some concrete examples.
    Actually I think Coulter is just about everything people on this board think she is. I just have my eyes open enough (took them blinders off) to notice that Michael Moore is her equivalant on the other side of the fence. Watch Bowling For Columbine. Just about eveything Moore has to say about the Canadian healthcare system is a complete fabrication. He either didn't look into the facts, after all he has never been one to let the facts get in the way of a good documentary. Or he purposefully lied.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    Actually I think Coulter is just about everything people on this board think she is. I just have my eyes open enough (took them blinders off) to notice that Michael Moore is her equivalant on the other side of the fence. Watch Bowling For Columbine. Just about eveything Moore has to say about the Canadian healthcare system is a complete fabrication. He either didn't look into the facts, after all he has never been one to let the facts get in the way of a good documentary. Or he purposefully lied.

No blinders...He can be quite counter productive very often but Moore is nowhere even close to being as vile as Coulter. Show me one quote just one where he spouts the same kind of over the top, repulsive bs.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    No blinders...He can be quite counter productive very often but Moore is nowhere even close to being as vile as Coulter. Show me one quote just one where he spouts the same kind of over the top, repulsive bs.
    So porpusefully lieing doesn't count as "over the top, repulsive bs." In my books telling lies about another country to make a point is exactly what Coulter and O'Rielly do, so does Michael Moore. In all cases it is "over the top, repulsive bs." The difference being is that I don't try to excuse it when it's done by Coulter and O'Rielly. Why do some feel a need to defend Moore when he does the same thing. Same goes for those that defend Coulter and O'Rielly at their idiotic moments.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    So porpusefully lieing doesn't count as "over the top, repulsive bs." In my books telling lies about another country to make a point is exactly what Coulter and O'Rielly do, so does Michael Moore. In all cases it is "over the top, repulsive bs." The difference being is that I don't try to excuse it when it's done by Coulter and O'Rielly. Why do some feel a need to defend Moore when he does the same thing. Same goes for those that defend Coulter and O'Rielly at their idiotic moments.

I'm not excusing him by any means. I just don't see him as vile as Coulter. That is all.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    I'm not excusing him by any means. I just don't see him as vile as Coulter. That is all.

I've seen some quotes from Coulter that basically says that women's rights are bullshit and shouldn't have happened. If that's not vile what is?
  • Options
    I've seen some quotes from Coulter that basically says that women's rights are bullshit and shouldn't have happened. If that's not vile what is?

Yep, pretty vile.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    surferdude wrote:

I don't think anyone disagrees that people of both sides of the political spectrum say misinformed, stupid things. It's just that Coulter takes it to a whole other level. To me, this woman makes O'Reily & Limbaugh look tame.

I also think that we give this woman power. I think liberals and conservatives alike tune in to any program she is on just to hear what outrageous comment will spew from her mouth next.
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016

Yeah I don't know how anyone can compare Coulter to Moore...like you say one spews venom from their mouth everytime they talk...they speak of death the justifiacation of killing innocent civilians...the other may bend the truth to get a point across but he sure does not condone violence...big difference in my book.....
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    There are degrees of obscenities and offensiveness aren't there? yes, lies are lies and therefore bad, but being a liar is different from being explicitly offensive. I honestly don't believe that O'Reilly, Coulter and company really believe everything they say and that is what makes me even angrier. As much as I dislike them, they are not stupid people, and to say the things that they say,they would have to be very stupid. Its all about ratings, and this happens to be their gimmik. They've been very successful at it, and they've made lots of money selling this gimmick, but that is all it is. But it preys on stupid people who do gobble this shit up.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917

So she'd fit right in with the male population of most countries in the Middle East? Ironic.
    :)
  • Options
    I'd like to know, as well.

This, coming from the person who freaked out on me for complaining about all of El Kabong's posts? Where do you think he gets his material from, if not the media?
  • Options
    This, coming from the person who freaked out on me for complaining about all of El Kabong's posts? Where do you think he gets his material from, if not the media?

huh? I was simply asking where to find this criticism in the mainstream media.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    huh? I was simply asking where to find this criticism in the mainstream media.

Did you say that? I know Ahrimus didn't, at least at first. If so, my apologies. To move the focus to the "mainstream" media, I can say that it my country, the coverage of the current crisis isn't notably biased in either direction. Most of it is pretty fact-focused, reporting casualty rates for Lebanese civilians, Hezbollah, and Isrealis alike. Right now, the evacuation of Canadian citizens from Lebanon is getting a lot of press, and much of these press is pretty negative.
  • Options
    I find the canadian press to be a bit MORE balanced than American news coverage, but I still see a definite Israeli bias. I think its a lot of what we don't see that makes their bias most transparent.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    I find the canadian press to be a bit MORE balanced than American news coverage, but I still see a definite Israeli bias. I think its a lot of what we don't see that makes their bias most transparent.

I don't really agree, though. Much of what I have read has focused on civilian casualties in Lebanon, and I don't know how this would reflect a pro-Israel bias; if anything, you could argue the opposite.
  • Options
    Maybe she just believes in equality and human rights.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    I don't really agree, though. Much of what I have read has focused on civilian casualties in Lebanon, and I don't know how this would reflect a pro-Israel bias; if anything, you could argue the opposite.

I guess it depends on what news you are getting (I don't have cable so perhaps TV news is better), but from what I am reading, it tends to emphasize the couple of Israeli deaths from that night with a small mention further in the paper about the 60 Lebonese civilians. Furthermore, its omitting the fact that Non-Islamic communities have also been hit. My best friend's parents are in Lebanon right now and they lived in a christian neighbourhood. It was generally accepted that so long as you didn't live or venture to certain areas you'd be ok, but now its open season.