Options

Iran: Before

2»

Comments

• Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Shame the U.S government can't set an example by also standing for progress and tolerance, instead of barbarism - unilateral unlawful aggression - and intolerance.

You forgot the "OH, SNAPP!!!!"
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    icarus wrote:
    i loved mr. bean as a kid.

:D I can't imagine how he would go down in the States. I was always surprised to hear that Benny Hill was a big hit over there too. I suppose they're both quite similar.
  • Options
    I do like the idea of Iran's people rising up and rejecting extremism ... Building a real democracy. Will it ever happen without foreign intervention? I don't know. Foreign intervention did not work in Iraq.

You gotta remember that the last president was somewhat of a moderate and wanted reforms, that he couldn't run by the religious council, who has the real power. Before the last election, any candidate with progressive or moderate leaning with any chance of gathering votes were disallowed, hence, Ahmadinejad got elected. If elections in Iran were truly free, I think much more moderate and progressive candidates would get elected. I believe in the Iranian people, which from all accounts I've read are a lot more progressive and reasonable than their government.

What to do? I dunno. But a military attack isn't the way to go I think. Rather support the civil society in Iran. Strengthen their hand against the regime. Support candidates calling for reform, pressure Irani government to hold free elections. And stop threatening with war, as all examples in history shows that a country threatened with war unite unanimously behind whatever leader(s) they have.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965