Options

Iran: Before

OpenOpen Posts: 792
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
Hopefully there wont be an "After" thread; if so we'll be able to see what the city was like before the US/Isreal strikes. The Iranian gov is a piece of shit, the people are not. That's why this axis of evil crap and letting the gov use the nuclear issue to unit the people behind the gov is such a mistake. There have been so many near uprisings by students against the goverment that doesnt get reported here in the US. Given time the people will rise up and overthrow the goverment; given of course, that f'd up cowboy that we call president doesnt f it up.

You can find the pictures here: http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=351718
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    odd.. they look alot like us.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    and why wouldn't they. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Btw..on page 2 you can see the Xmas pictures; the savages.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Is it true that 80% of Americans don't own a passport and a similar percentage aren't able to find Italy on a map?
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Is it true that 80% of Americans don't own a passport and a similar percentage aren't able to find Italy on a map?

Why own a passport, when almost everything you could ever want to see or do is right here in our home country? As far as Italy goes, I'd think alot more than 80% of people here know where the boot is.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Why own a passport, when almost everything you could ever want to see or do is right here in our home country? As far as Italy goes, I'd think alot more than 80% of people here know where the boot is.

Ahhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha. Beautifully said. If you can equate taking a vaction from NYC to Florida as a cultural enlightment well then maybe you could be correct. I tend to disagree.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931

If you think almost everything you could ever want to see or do is right there in the US, than I think you should definitely get a passport and travel and discover how wrong you are.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    1970RR1970RR Posts: 281
    Open wrote:
    Hopefully there wont be an "After" thread; if so we'll be able to see what the city was like before the US/Isreal strikes. The Iranian gov is a piece of shit, the people are not. That's why this axis of evil crap and letting the gov use the nuclear issue to unit the people behind the gov is such a mistake. There have been so many near uprisings by students against the goverment that doesnt get reported here in the US. Given time the people will rise up and overthrow the goverment; given of course, that f'd up cowboy that we call president doesnt f it up.

You can find the pictures here: http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=351718
    Nice pictures. Its refreshing to see pictures of what normal life is like in Tehran, instead of the typical media shots showing flag-burning radicals. I had the opportunity to live there in 1977 & 78 and have good memories of the people that I met and the city in general. Its unfortunate that things are moving in the wrong direction and, as usual, it will be the people in those pictures who will suffer the most.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    i say this right wing hard liiner doesn't get elected in the last election if the people don't see the cluster fuck that is afghanistan and iraq (their neighbours) ... and this whole axis of evil marketing campaign ...
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,374
    Byrnzie wrote:

I love it when geniuses get sucked in by stereotypes, spit out at them by mindless morons with an agenda.

Is it true all Brits are toothless, pompus drunks who spend all their time at the pubs and staggering aimlessly for hours on end, trying to find their way home? :D
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    NMyTree wrote:
    Is it true all Brits are toothless, pompus drunks who spend all their time at the pubs and staggering aimlessly for hours on end, trying to find their way home? :D

Yes, see if you travel you can see it for yourself:D
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Why own a passport, when almost everything you could ever want to see or do is right here in our home country?

This speaks volumes - worryingly.
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:

No. We sometimes take taxi's home. ;)
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    Yes, see if you travel you can see it for yourself:D

:D

Oh I've traveled.

Truth is, there is British blood in my veins and in my DNA. Not 100%, but just enough to know better:D
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    No. We sometimes take taxi's home. ;)

Are you sure you Brits can see straight enough, to find those cabbies?

:D
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    i say this right wing hard liiner doesn't get elected in the last election if the people don't see the cluster fuck that is afghanistan and iraq (their neighbours) ... and this whole axis of evil marketing campaign ...

polaris - The only reason he got is elected is b/c the supreme council (neo-cons) kicked all the progressives/moderates off the ballot. The majority of the people protested by not showing up and voting. This the kind of stuff that is just a blip in the news here, but totally changes the picture.

1970RR - Very cool, we moved from their in 1978, im sure we both got out for the same reason (the revolution) but it is a beautiful country; it is sad that it is the people suffering.
  • Options
    1970RR wrote:
    Its unfortunate that things are moving in the wrong direction and, as usual, it will be the people in those pictures who will suffer the most.

another way they are just like us.
  • Options
    bmc31bmc31 Posts: 1
    Byrnzie wrote:
    This speaks volumes - worryingly.

Its not really worrying. Yes, everyone everywhere should travel abroad to enlighten themselves culturally. The fact is they don't. Not in America or anywhere else. Why does a higher percentage of Brits have passports? Because they need them to go on a beach holiday in Spain, or a Booze Cruise to France. Don't be fooled into thinking the majority of them are travelling the globe for spiritual enlightenment. America has as much geographic and climate variation as most Brits (or other people) are looking for for their holidays. Culture is a bit different, though it does vary massively as well. My point is just don't assume that owning a passport makes you 'well travelled'. It could just mean there're no sunny beaches in your own country...
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    bmc31 wrote:
    Its not really worrying. Yes, everyone everywhere should travel abroad to enlighten themselves culturally. The fact is they don't. Not in America or anywhere else. Why does a higher percentage of Brits have passports? Because they need them to go on a beach holiday in Spain, or a Booze Cruise to France. Don't be fooled into thinking the majority of them are travelling the globe for spiritual enlightenment. America has as much geographic and climate variation as most Brits (or other people) are looking for for their holidays. Culture is a bit different, though it does vary massively as well. My point is just don't assume that owning a passport makes you 'well travelled'. It could just mean there're no sunny beaches in your own country...

Running into Spanish speaking people in Little Havana dosen't make it the same as Spain. Nor running into French people in LA dosen't make it France. I think you are smart enough to realize that.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    bmc31 wrote:

I agree, the more you travel, the more you understand that the differences are mostly cosmetic. We are all very similar in our habits and beliefs, and in our misconceptions about each other.
  • Options
    bmc31 wrote:

I said nothing about spiritual enlightenment. And I said nothing about Brits having passports. I mentioned the fact that the majority of Americans never leave America. As far as Brits needing passports to visit beaches, why do so many Spanish, French, Italians, Australians, South Africans and New Zealanders also have passports and frequently travel the world? Doesn't that put paid to your argument?
  • Options
    Abuskedti wrote:
    I agree, the more you travel, the more you understand that the differences are mostly cosmetic. We are all very similar in our habits and beliefs, and in our misconceptions about each other.

May aswell stay at home and watch t.v then.

Edit: But yes, you're right. Most people are very similar in more ways than we imagine. I think it helps to travel to realise that and shake off our prejudices and misconceptions.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    I do like the idea of Iran's people rising up and rejecting extremism ... Building a real democracy. Will it ever happen without foreign intervention? I don't know. Foreign intervention did not work in Iraq.
  • Options
    I posted this link yesterday, and it got blown off ... Maybe this is a better venue.

http://www.iran.org/
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I do like the idea of Iran's people rising up and rejecting extremism ... Building a real democracy. Will it ever happen without foreign intervention? I don't know. Foreign intervention did not work in Iraq.
    Why not? They got rid of the shah, after all. As for building a real democracy ... what they choose to build is up to them.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    Why not? They got rid of the shah, after all. As for building a real democracy ... what they choose to build is up to them.

Getting rid of the Shah was a step backward, actually. But whatever. I agree that they have to make the choice. The good news is, there are many organizations formed by Iranians that stand for progress and tolerance.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Getting rid of the Shah was a step backward, actually. But whatever. I agree that they have to make the choice. The good news is, there are many organizations formed by Iranians that stand for progress and tolerance.
    I agree that uniting behind Ayatollah Khomeini was hardly what you'd call progressive, but the point was that they've overthrown their leaders in the past, they can do it again.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    The good news is, there are many organizations formed by Iranians that stand for progress and tolerance.

Shame the U.S government can't set an example by also standing for progress and tolerance, instead of barbarism - unilateral unlawful aggression - and intolerance.
  • Options
    icarus wrote:
    most of the younger brits i know do most of their travelling to places like malia and ibiza to party, not to visit the acropolis in athens. i know plenty of brits that go to places like morocco, tunisia, turkey, and spain and all they do is stay on a tourist vacation resort and they think they're seeing and experiencing other cultures, when theyre realy just lounging by the pool with other brits/europeans. when they go to visit florida they're not there to view american culture, they're there to see disneyland.

on the subject of americans being ignorant of other cultures, i spent the last year in britain and visited a total of 5 european countries and i found that a lot of the people i met and knew were just as ignorant as americans, if not even more so. most people barely knew any states, thought some american cities were actually states, thought hawaii was a country, and made wide-ranging statements on americans when they actually knew very little about them. these same people also generally held the belief that americans were ignorant, probably because they were told so.

Obviously I was generalising. But if you live in America - where's Umass-Amhurst? - then you'll know that very few Americans travel abroad, which is unfortunate. Of course there are ignorant people everywhere, and I should know that England is largely made up of morons as -as are most places in the world as far as I can see - I speak to them all day at work and listen to them chatting shit on the commute to work 5 days a week. However, I think what I was getting at was that a far larger proportion of Europeans, and Antipodean's, appear to be more inclined to travel to foreign countries. As far as Europeans as a whole are concerned then the Brits probably stand out as being more insular than most other countries, and are guilty of all that you say above, and the fact that most Brits can only speak one language compared to most Europeans is another example of this. I'm not defending Brits because i'm more than aware of all of their/our faults. I was speaking of Americans because it is widely known that a tiny percentage ever get to see Europe and the wider world.
    Maybe the Atlantic divide has something to do with it? Maybe there's not enough education or exposure in the U.S relating to the wider world. Perhaps you can tell me??
  • Options
    icarus wrote:
    Umass-Amherst is in western Massachusetts. So its rougly halfway between New York City and Boston, but in a very rural area.

I think the main reason why Americans don't seem to venture abroad or to Europe as much boils down to cost. Brits can usually get cheap flights for around 50 pounds or so to anywhere in Europe. Americans on the other hand usually have to pay 500 dollars or more to travel to Europe. Because of this, many Americans are more inclined to travel within the US or to Mexico or Canada. For example, many British students travel to 'holiday' destinations in Greece and Spain, while many American students travel to holiday destinations in Mexico, like Cancun, or Montreal. I think its just a cultural thing, most Americans have never heard of Malia or Ibiza while every 15-23 year old Brit would know of them.

I think many more Americans are beginning to take holidays abroad, like to places in the Caribbean. Its still traditional for many families to vacation where their families have for decades. For example, in New England, a lot of families vacation in places like Cape Cod, Nantucket, Marthas Vineyard, or in Maine.

Travelling inside of Europe for Europeans is probably equivalent to Americans travelling within the US. Going to Europe or other places is sort of a big ordeal, whereas its a little trip for Brits to take a one hour plane trip to Paris.

I think I was very lucky to have taken a few holidays around America at an early age - paid for by my single mum who was by no means wealthy - and I got to see a lot of places - 14 cities the first time. It may also have something to do with the t.v over here that a lot of Europeans know quite a bit about American geography.
    I can understand what you say about the cost factor, although you'd be amazed if you came to london at the amount of Australians here - seriously, there are thousands of the buggers! They practically own London pubs now. And the Australian dollar is worth less than the U.S dollar - I think the £'s worth about 4 times the Aussie dollar, compared to the £ being worth just under twice the U.S dollar.
    As far as Americans knowing about, being exposed to the wider world on t.v, and in school e.t.c, what's the deal? A lot of people are of the impression that the majority of Americans take little interest in the rest of the world. Is that a fair assumption?