Options

Moratorium: To be or not to be - Offshore Drilling

SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,646
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
Should Canadian provincial and federal governments lift the moratoria and permit offshore drilling? Why or Why not?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    i'm sorry this isn't about israel or hezbollah...it's not allowed ;)
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    Are you speaking of drilling off of the BC coast? Actually in either case no.

They've been talking about drilling off of BC for years and its a horrible idea. Firstly, we live along an active earthquake zone. We're expecting an earthquake along the lines of at least an 8 on the richter scale at any time. This makes us very vulnerable to spills and we should learn from teh Exxon Valdez disaster.

Secondly, it would kill a lot of our tourism industry and destroy much of our marine life. The noise would disrupt many of the migrating whales through that area as well as other mammals that inhabit the straight.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    absolutely not ... its time we face the truth about our need for oil ... and the consequences of those who profit off of it ...
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I'm all for it. I'd set new and extremely strict environmental conditions and make it contingent on reducing pollution heavy oil drilling in Alberta. If the oil companies still thought they could make a go of it then so be it. Making expensive oil available will only help the move to find alternative and hopefully greener energy choices.
    Our oil exploration and drilling does not make Canada more dependant on oil. As any oil found is sold on the world market. We do not artificially price our oil for internal consumption like countries such as Venezuala do.
    If people want to make Canada less dependant on oil they could do things like as for oil heating to be outlawed, push governments for a switch to nuclear energy to provide more hydro, outlaw homes over 2,000 square feet. Outlaw trucks that run on anything other than natural gas. As polaris has pointed out many times it's not Canada's use of gas to drive that is driving our rising greenhouse gas emissions, but rather the oil drilling in Alberta.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    even with a liberal gov't enviro regulations being upheld were a farce - with a conservative gov't - we can forget about it all together ...

i'm all for changing the laws except the push for nuclear cuz that is a waste as well ...
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    even with a liberal gov't enviro regulations being upheld were a farce - with a conservative gov't - we can forget about it all together ...

i'm all for changing the laws except the push for nuclear cuz that is a waste as well ...
    What do you propose as a quick change from greenhouse gas emitting sources of energy? Especially for use on our hydro grids.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    What do you propose as a quick change from greenhouse gas emitting sources of energy? Especially for use on our hydro grids.

an aggressive conservation strategy - our waste of energy is moronic ... closure of all coal fired plants ... carbon sequestering ... and an investment in renewables like wind ... and stop subsidizing oil and gas ...
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    an aggressive conservation strategy - our waste of energy is moronic ... closure of all coal fired plants ... carbon sequestering ... and an investment in renewables like wind ... and stop subsidizing oil and gas ...
    I'm all for closure of all coal fired plants. I'm all for outlawing anything but electric heating in new homes. I think on a personal level that home electricity prices should skyrocket after a bare minimum allotment per person. Conservation in a monster home is appreciated but there is still just so much wasted energy. I want to see people who's carbon imprint is too big to really pay a heavy price. I'd like there to be a tax applied at the time of insurance renewal or car sale based on kilometres driven.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    I'm all for closure of all coal fired plants. I'm all for outlawing anything but electric heating in new homes. I think on a personal level that home electricity prices should skyrocket after a bare minimum allotment per person. Conservation in a monster home is appreciated but there is still just so much wasted energy. I want to see people who's carbon imprint is too big to really pay a heavy price. I'd like there to be a tax applied at the time of insurance renewal or car sale based on kilometres driven.

this is the thing with the drilling in alberta - they are using COAL to power all their extraction processes ... 3 times the amount of greenhouse gases than conventional oil drilling ...

anyways - i'm all for your carbon tax ... and let's bring back the ELECTRIC CAR!!!!! ...
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    anyways - i'm all for your carbon tax ... and let's bring back the ELECTRIC CAR!!!!! ...
    I'd be okay with the electric car. But we are going to need more sources of electricity than wind, solar and hydro power can give. Other than nuclear I can't think of another non greenhouse gas emitting source.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    I'd be okay with the electric car. But we are going to need more sources of electricity than wind, solar and hydro power can give. Other than nuclear I can't think of another non greenhouse gas emitting source.

tidal power, thermal, ocean thermal, biomass (although it releases CO2 but on a balanced scale) ...
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    I'm all for it. I'd set new and extremely strict environmental conditions and make it contingent on reducing pollution heavy oil drilling in Alberta. If the oil companies still thought they could make a go of it then so be it. Making expensive oil available will only help the move to find alternative and hopefully greener energy choices.
    Our oil exploration and drilling does not make Canada more dependant on oil. As any oil found is sold on the world market. We do not artificially price our oil for internal consumption like countries such as Venezuala do.
    If people want to make Canada less dependant on oil they could do things like as for oil heating to be outlawed, push governments for a switch to nuclear energy to provide more hydro, outlaw homes over 2,000 square feet. Outlaw trucks that run on anything other than natural gas. As polaris has pointed out many times it's not Canada's use of gas to drive that is driving our rising greenhouse gas emissions, but rather the oil drilling in Alberta.

What about the risk of spills and the fact that we live in a very earthquake sensitive place? What about the marine life which also is vital to not only the tourism sector, but also fisheries? I'm not sure there is any way to drill without emmitting massive amounts underwater noise which has been shown to be devastating for whales and other marine life.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    What about the risk of spills and the fact that we live in a very earthquake sensitive place? What about the marine life which also is vital to not only the tourism sector, but also fisheries? I'm not sure there is any way to drill without emmitting massive amounts underwater noise which has been shown to be devastating for whales and other marine life.
    From what I've read the offshore oil exploration and drilling would be so far offshore that it would not disrupt the tourism sector. And if I had a choice between are fairly low paying tourism sector job and a much higher paying oil industry job I know which I'd be taking to support my family.

It is blatantly unfair to allow drilling off of Newfoundland but not off of B.C.

If and when a big earthquake hits the westcoast the least of my worries will be oil leaks.

And about the marine life. Where you live most likely killed and or displaced wildlife to be developped. Maybe you should raze your abode and let the wildlife back. Same goes for where you work and travel to. Human activity displaces nature, I find it pretty hypocritical to just go after one sector while giving most other sectors a free ride.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    There already exists off-shore drilling in Canada....look at the east coast....
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    surferdude wrote:

I say give "conditional" and progressive tax breaks to companies that implement technologies that reduce harmful emissions.....
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    From what I've read the offshore oil exploration and drilling would be so far offshore that it would not disrupt the tourism sector. And if I had a choice between are fairly low paying tourism sector job and a much higher paying oil industry job I know which I'd be taking to support my family.

It is blatantly unfair to allow drilling off of Newfoundland but not off of B.C.

If and when a big earthquake hits the westcoast the least of my worries will be oil leaks.

And about the marine life. Where you live most likely killed and or displaced wildlife to be developped. Maybe you should raze your abode and let the wildlife back. Same goes for where you work and travel to. Human activity displaces nature, I find it pretty hypocritical to just go after one sector while giving most other sectors a free ride.

From what I've heard, the proposed area is between Vancouver Island and the Queen Charlottes right? That is not very far off-shore. It will hurt tourism because it is a very sensitive ecosystem which has the potential to virtually eliminate any whales and other species which is what BC tourism feeds off of and is known for. Secondly, cruise ships to Alaska go through there and there is nothing sexier than a dead body of water with those good lookin' rigs.

The debate is not only about jobs. Yes, oil jobs are more lucrative, but not everything should be measured only on dollars and cents should they?

As for earthquakes, we are most likely to survive, however a major oil spill may ensure that any coastal wildlife will not. Do we only care about ourselves an humans?

Yes, my house does sit upon an area that was an old growth forest at one time, however, I believe it is our responsibility to limit our footprint as best we can. This is why I take very careful measures at the expense of price and convenience to do my best. All things, human or otherwise exist at the expense of another, but we should TRY and be as least destructive as possible don't you think?

Lastly I think you cannot justify doing something merely because it is done somewhere else as well. They fucked over their fisheries, therefore we should do the same with BC salmon? Newfoundland has a completely different environment with different geographies, wildlife, and challenges. I haven't completely decided whether I agree with Newfoundland drilling to begin with. I'll think it over.

I just think the cons outweigh the pros here in BC.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    From what I've heard, the proposed area is between Vancouver Island and the Queen Charlottes right? That is not very far off-shore. It will hurt tourism because it is a very sensitive ecosystem which has the potential to virtually eliminate any whales and other species which is what BC tourism feeds off of and is known for. Secondly, cruise ships to Alaska go through there and there is nothing sexier than a dead body of water with those good lookin' rigs.

The debate is not only about jobs. Yes, oil jobs are more lucrative, but not everything should be measured only on dollars and cents should they?

As for earthquakes, we are most likely to survive, however a major oil spill may ensure that any coastal wildlife will not. Do we only care about ourselves an humans?

Yes, my house does sit upon an area that was an old growth forest at one time, however, I believe it is our responsibility to limit our footprint as best we can. This is why I take very careful measures at the expense of price and convenience to do my best. All things, human or otherwise exist at the expense of another, but we should TRY and be as least destructive as possible don't you think?

Lastly I think you cannot justify doing something merely because it is done somewhere else as well. They fucked over their fisheries, therefore we should do the same with BC salmon? Newfoundland has a completely different environment with different geographies, wildlife, and challenges. I haven't completely decided whether I agree with Newfoundland drilling to begin with. I'll think it over.

I just think the cons outweigh the pros here in BC.
    Personally I think it should be allowed by the federal gvernment and the provincial government hold off drilling for an economic rainy day. There is a lot of potential downside so I'm happy to hold off on it. But I'd never rule it out due to the economic opportunities.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    Firstly, we don't even know for certain whether there is oil so this all is a bit premature. They THINK there is but haven't actually surveyed. I think we need to diversify our economy away from our dependence on resources, but considering the probablity for spillage is higher due to earthquakes and the environmental sensitivity of the area apart from the intrinsic value of untainted wildlife, it may also crush fisheries and other aforementioned sectors which are vital to the economic well being of the province as well.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,646
    I think the drilling would be near the Georgia Strait affecting the salmon run-off from the Fraser River. Today's press release from a local environmental group (Suzuki) stated that 70% off the spawned salmon are not surviving due to increase of river temperature.
  • Options
    tish wrote:
    I think the drilling would be near the Georgia Strait affecting the salmon run-off from the Fraser River. Today's press release from a local environmental group (Suzuki) stated that 70% off the spawned salmon are not surviving due to increase of river temperature.

more effects of climate change
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    more effects of climate change
    I'd like to see Suzuki's science on this. When was the last time he did any real science? I don't doubt that a large part of the decrease in salmon run is caused by man. But I'd love to see where he pulls the 70% from.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    I'd like to see Suzuki's science on this. When was the last time he did any real science? I don't doubt that a large part of the decrease in salmon run is caused by man. But I'd love to see where he pulls the 70% from.

his foundation is huge ... i would think that most of his figures comes from whatever scientific body is doing research in the area ...

and just to be clear - according to tish's post - they claim the 70% impact is due to increased river temperature ...
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    his foundation is huge ... i would think that most of his figures comes from whatever scientific body is doing research in the area ...

and just to be clear - according to tish's post - they claim the 70% impact is due to increased river temperature ...
    And the increased river temperature is drivien by global warming that is driven by man made greenhouse gas emissions. I get all that and agree with it in principal.

Maybe it's that I'm so used to anything Suzuki says being full of shit, hyperbola and not based on science that I have a really hard time acceptig the 70% figure given. Based on what I've seen and read by Suzuki if DDT in the water was the hot topic he'd be blaming 70% of the decrease on DDT being in the water. I think Suzuki does more harm than good.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    And the increased river temperature is drivien by global warming that is driven by man made greenhouse gas emissions. I get all that and agree with it in principal.

Maybe it's that I'm so used to anything Suzuki says being full of shit, hyperbola and not based on science that I have a really hard time acceptig the 70% figure given. Based on what I've seen and read by Suzuki if DDT in the water was the hot topic he'd be blaming 70% of the decrease on DDT being in the water. I think Suzuki does more harm than good.

I personally think Suzuki's a dick, but I do respect his science. I'm don't agree with him 100% of the time, but his contributions and his foundation does a lot of good work. I don't think he personally does a lot of science himself anymore, but his foundation funds a lot of science and he is basically the spokesman for it now. He does understand the science and the issues, so I think he does deserve some credibility. He's even backed off of some of the doom and gloom stuff and has recently begun writing about some more positive steps we're taking.

Re: water temperture rising, this has some to do with climate change and also to do with projects such as the Kamano completion project which diverted the Nechako River away from the Fraser (reversed its current). Glacial water being led away rather to the river has caused river temperatures to rise in important spawning sites.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    I personally think Suzuki's a dick, but I do respect his science. I'm don't agree with him 100% of the time, but his contributions and his foundation does a lot of good work. I don't think he personally does a lot of science himself anymore, but his foundation funds a lot of science and he is basically the spokesman for it now. He does understand the science and the issues, so I think he does deserve some credibility. He's even backed off of some of the doom and gloom stuff and has recently begun writing about some more positive steps we're taking.

Re: water temperture rising, this has some to do with climate change and also to do with projects such as the Kamano completion project which diverted the Nechako River away from the Fraser (reversed its current). Glacial water being led away rather to the river has caused river temperatures to rise in important spawning sites.
    You're right. I respect the work of his foundation, but I don't respect him.
    ~ Bob Marley