myspace: video of Koran shot up, then left in front of mosque...FBI called in

truroutetruroute Posts: 251
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
http://www.local6.com/news/9498371/detail.html

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- The FBI will investigate an online video that showed two men shooting a Quran with a military-style rifle and then leaving the bullet-riddled holy book outside a Chattanooga mosque, an agent said.

The Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations asked the Justice Department to investigate, FBI agent Tim Burke said Monday.

The video, titled "kill the koran," was posted on the MySpace.com social networking Web service last month, said Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Islamic group. He said it may be as much as a year old. The video had been removed Tuesday.

A man on the Web site identified himself as "mully88" and claimed to live in Chattanooga. His profile listed as heroes "anybody that has killed a muslim or at least tried to kill a muslim." His Web page also contains slurs against Hispanics and blacks.

The video shows the man purchasing a Quran at a bookstore, taking it to a wooded area and shooting the book, then throwing it on the ground outside the door of the Chattanooga Islamic center.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations called it a possible civil rights violation. Legal Director Arsalan Iftikhar compared it to burning a cross.

"By throwing the bullet-riddled Quran at the mosque, we believe the perpetrators went beyond the limits of free speech by taking part in an overt act of religious intimidation," Iftikhar said.

Abdul Raheem Kabah, identified by Hooper as the imam of the Chattanooga mosque, did not immediately respond to calls seeking comment.

The council has also asked for an investigation into vandalism at an Indiana mosque as a possible hate crime and cited other incidents of vandalism in recent months against mosques in Maine, Arizona and Maryland.

OK, the redneck that did this and has his own myspace page bragging about it is a moron IMO. But is it really necessary for the FBI to get involved? Seriously, arent there better things for the Federal Bureau of Investigation to be...investigating?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    I think the FBI should check this guy out. At the very least I would take someone tossing a bullet ridden book at my house as a threat. If he gets away with doing this then who knows if the guy might feel the need to escalate and do something worse until law enforcement checks him.
  • rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    The guy is a certified kook no doubt. Funny thing is, by buying a copy of the quran he just financed the production of ten more...
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    truroute wrote:
    http://www.local6.com/news/9498371/detail.html

His profile listed as heroes "anybody that has killed a muslim or at least tried to kill a muslim." His Web page also contains slurs against Hispanics and blacks.

i am guessing that this might have been the reason the fbi has been called in. its abnormal at best, probably antisocial for anyone to publicly state that their heroes are murderers and attempted murderers.

videotaping yourself shooting holes in a quran. that'll show em buddy....what a moron.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • The guy is a certified kook no doubt. Funny thing is, by buying a copy of the quran he just financed the production of ten more...
    funniest thing is that he demonstrated his ignorance by misspelling the QURAN. :p
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    funniest thing is that he demonstrated his ignorance by misspelling the QURAN. :p

well c'mon...what do you expect? i think that demonstrates the least of his 'ignorance'...and his obvious intolerance for any beliefs outside his own, etc. pathetic really.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Freedom of speech is a bitch isnt it? :)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • well c'mon...what do you expect? i think that demonstrates the least of his 'ignorance'...and his obvious intolerance for any beliefs outside his own, etc. pathetic really.
    well yeah, but little things like that bring out the humor in these kinds of situations ;)

"Make our day"
  • Freedom of speech is a bitch isnt it? :)
    Sometimes.

But what that guy did was a threat, and a very violent one at that. This goes far beyond the first amendment.

"Make our day"
  • This guy probably felt threatened by the huge Muslim population in Tennessee.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
    Freedom of speech is a bitch isnt it? :)

Not as much as the people who abuse it to urinate their beliefs all over their fellow man.

Hmm...wait a sec :D but that's what we all came here for in the first place right?

Getting a little spit on you when you're talking to someone is ok as long as it doesn't land in your eye or mouth (family or religion)

right?
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Sometimes.

But what that guy did was a threat, and a very violent one at that. This goes far beyond the first amendment.

I agree that it can be a threat. What about if the guy had burned a Koran instead?
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • jeffbr wrote:
    I agree that it can be a threat. What about if the guy had burned a Koran instead?
    almost as bad.

he crossed the line when he laid it on the mosque's steps..

it's free speech to buy a book and shoot it, but that guy made a clear threat.

"Make our day"
    almost as bad.

he crossed the line when he laid it on the mosque's steps..

it's free speech to buy a book and shoot it, but that guy made a clear threat.

Would burning a flag be equal or less of an issue than burning a Koran? I'm trying to understand the line people see. I've already agreed that a bullet-riddled Koran crosses the line. But since most here support flag burning as a form of speech I was trying to determine if Koran burning was also a form of speech. Both are symbolic of other things, but in the end both are just cloth and paper respectively. Yet I fear some here would advocate Koran burning be labeled a hate crime (whatever that is).
  • jeffbr wrote:
    Would burning a flag be equal or less of an issue than burning a Koran? I'm trying to understand the line people see. I've already agreed that a bullet-riddled Koran crosses the line. But since most here support flag burning as a form of speech I was trying to determine if Koran burning was also a form of speech. Both are symbolic of other things, but in the end both are just cloth and paper respectively. Yet I fear some here would advocate Koran burning be labeled a hate crime (whatever that is).

I'd be more concerned with the Koran incident than I would be with a flag burning, especially considering the remarks that this person made online about "killing muslims".
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • The Koran being burned by (and in this case, i hope you'll pardon the term) redneck and laid on the steps of a mosque is racist. blatently. that's why it's a "hate crime".

If an American wants to burn his/her own flag it's their right to do that. It's a statement that shows disapprovement of the government in a powerful way. It should be legal. No question.

I can't understand why people care about that... congress tries to push amendments stopping people who aren't happy with what it's doing from doing something harmless instead of trying to so something useful..

It's frivilous.

"Make our day"
  • What an ass. He's probably one of those damn white supremist hillbillies that thinks they are the best... Anyways... that man is a fucking retard.
    "I believe everybody should have a room where they get rid of all their releases. So my room was a stage."
    - Jimi Hendrix

"I thought I'd do something nice for the band... I'll hang myself."
    - Jason Newsted, Metallica
    The Koran being burned by (and in this case, i hope you'll pardon the term) redneck and laid on the steps of a mosque is racist. blatently. that's why it's a "hate crime".

If an American wants to burn his/her own flag it's their right to do that. It's a statement that shows disapprovement of the government in a powerful way. It should be legal. No question.

I can't understand why people care about that... congress tries to push amendments stopping people who aren't happy with what it's doing from doing something harmless instead of trying to so something useful..

It's frivilous.

What about a Mexican national in this country burning a flag at a US courthouse?

I don't understand hate crimes anyway. If it is a crime in its own right, charge and prosecute.

Both acts are destruction of inanimate objects. Both are desecration of symbols people hold dear. Both are done for shock value. They should be treated equally.
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    There's hate in you're heart brothers...let it out...White power! -Dave Chapelle.
  • Commy wrote:
    There's hate in you're heart brothers...let it out...White power! -Dave Chapelle.

fif!
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    jeffbr wrote:
    What about a Mexican national in this country burning a flag at a US courthouse?

I don't understand hate crimes anyway. If it is a crime in its own right, charge and prosecute.

Both acts are destruction of inanimate objects. Both are desecration of symbols people hold dear. Both are done for shock value. They should be treated equally.

What if a guy wants to roast marshmellows, and all he has to make a fire is a copy of the koran? Is that okay?
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    well yeah, but little things like that bring out the humor in these kinds of situations ;)

sure. but if we want to get really technical about it, isn't it actually Qu'ran? :)
    oh wait, or Qur'an? i think the latter. yikes, now i am unsure.

btw - side note i saw one of the most beautiful handwritten/illuminated Qur'ans at the brooklyn museum.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• jeffbr wrote:
    Both acts are destruction of inanimate objects. Both are desecration of symbols people hold dear. Both are done for shock value.

That's true, but the two acts are not the same thing. The shooting (or burning, whatever) of the Qur'an (;)) was dangerous. It was used as a threat (and on top of that, a racially/religiously motivated threat).

I understand that burning the flag can be a threat too, but as long as your in this country it's your right to do so.

If someone burns a flag you don't punish the burning, you punish them for threatening someone if they put it outside a judge's house or something.

Simply burning the flag is non threatening, and to make a crime against it isn't going to accomplish anything. It's just going to further make our government seem like a bunch of McCarthyist nuts.

"Make our day"
  • truroutetruroute Posts: 251
    I personally only think that the only threat this billybob of a honkie possibly made what the "anyone that kills a muslim" bit on his site. Even then, its only talk.

His shootin' a KOORAN (sp) and tossin' in a mosque isn't really a theat, but more of a provocation. More like saying, "Fuck you I dont like you." But that IMO of course. And just to clarify, I'm not taking this retard's side by anymeans. Should the moron get charged w/ something? Yup. What? IDK, im not a cop or prosecutor, but for the FBI to get called in is stupid IMO.
  • Jam-fanJam-fan Posts: 70
    what the guy did is unforgivable, and the fbi has every right to intervene and investigate. throwing the bullet riddled quran against the mosque is a blatant act of violence and agression. people like this only want attention though, and the media being what whores they are are always obliged to give it to them. i just still can't believe that there are still people in this world so devoid of compassion that they feel the best way to express themselves is to shoot a holy book. it's sad and repulsive.
  • truroute wrote:
    I personally only think that the only threat this billybob of a honkie possibly made what the "anyone that kills a muslim" bit on his site. Even then, its only talk.

His shootin' a KOORAN (sp) and tossin' in a mosque isn't really a theat, but more of a provocation. More like saying, "Fuck you I dont like you." But that IMO of course. And just to clarify, I'm not taking this retard's side by anymeans. Should the moron get charged w/ something? Yup. What? IDK, im not a cop or prosecutor, but for the FBI to get called in is stupid IMO.
    He shot the holy book of a religion and stuck it on their doorstep.

that's a threat. It's not as bad as the website, but it's definetly a threat.

"Make our day"
    What if a guy wants to roast marshmellows, and all he has to make a fire is a copy of the koran? Is that okay?

you have to bless and offer the marshmellows to allah first I think. Kinda like it's ok to fart in your own car. :D
  • you have to bless and offer the marshmellows to allah first I think.
    what about the grahm and chocolate bar that come into contact with the holy mallow?

"Make our day"
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    Jam-fan wrote:
    i just still can't believe that there are still people in this world so devoid of compassion that they feel the best way to express themselves is to shoot a holy book. it's sad and repulsive.

how do you feel about "art exhibits" showing a crucifix in a jar of piss?
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • moeaholic wrote:
    how do you feel about "art exhibits" showing a crucifix in a jar of piss?
    As long as the jar's air tight so i can't smell it, whatever.

"Make our day"
    what about the grahm and chocolate bar that come into contact with the holy mallow?

hehe...those are the real sins :D

the holy mallow...oh man rofl...