Options

Lebanese and Jewish food

2»

Comments

• Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    Quit being so damn rude ... Its possible that two or more cultures can share a cuisine!

Never!!! The Chinese invented noodles. Take that Italy!
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    our falafel & tehina = our version.

aggressive-impulsive all the way.

Still cultural imperialism. Thieves in every way possible.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    purrmo wrote:
    Still cultural imperialism. Thieves in every way possible.

So how's this attitude working for you?
    That's a serious question ...
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,774
    The Posting Guidelines are important...maybe a review would be helpful?

[problem posts were removed]

Admin
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    CaterinaA wrote:
    Well , not all jewish food is similar to the Lebanese.

Sefardi jewish food is very similar to Lebanese and other countries from the Middle East, and also to Armenian food. Sefardi Jews are those descendants of the Jewish people who emigrated to the Iberic Peninsula and those whose background was from the Middle East.

Ashkenazi jewish food is nothing like Lebanese food. Askenasi Jews are the ones who make bagels, knishes, barenikes, kneidalaj guefiltefish and etc. Ashkenazi Jews are the "european jews", namely those with Russian, Polish, Czcech, German, etc, background.

Just to add some culinary data.

damm ... i want a potato latka RIGHT NOW! ... i think this bloody thread played on me in the subconscious ... had a smoked meat sandwich on rye for lunch! ...
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    Israeli cuisine is much more spicy hot, LOTS of spices, hot pepers, OLIVE OIL etc' - We use them in almost every main dish (rice, pasta ...). You all know our falafel & tehina, so there's nothing I should add about it. We also have an enormous variety of dairy products (main part of Israeli breakfast) and breads. I gotta say Israel is a quite agricultural power. We are inventing & improving all kinds of natural spices fruits & vegetables. Did you know we invented cherry-tomatos (thats how we call it here, I'm talking about the little small tomatos)? There's much more to tell, but I think its enough for now (:

There really isn't such a thing as israeli cuisine. Pick up an israeli cookbook and mostly all of the food is Arab. Falafel and tehina are not israeli, it doesn't matter what version. It is cultural imperialism pure and simple. After the usurpation of land, then comes the usurpation of culture.
  • Options
    purrmo wrote:
    There really isn't such a thing as israeli cuisine. Pick up an israeli cookbook and mostly all of the food is Arab. Falafel and tehina are not israeli, it doesn't matter what version. It is cultural imperialism pure and simple. After the usurpation of land, then comes the usurpation of culture.

not at all, but it's off topic here, can't you see? Don't get this wonderful thread get close... i want to read more of these spice thing and i don't care if they're from Lebanon or Israel, or South Africa... mmmmmmmm

smoked meat....
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Kat wrote:
    The Posting Guidelines are important...maybe a review would be helpful?

[problem posts were removed]

Admin

There weren't any personal attacks in my posts, Kat. Maybe I DO need to review the guidelines again after all, because I am confused.
  • Options
    jsandjsand Posts: 646
    purrmo wrote:

Awww..does little baby want his toy back?
  • Options
    shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    not at all, but it's off topic here, can't you see? Don't get this wonderful thread get close... i want to read more of these spice thing and i don't care if they're from Lebanon or Israel, or South Africa... mmmmmmmm

smoked meat....

I live in Israel, so I found it VERY hilarious to "realize" we don't have a cuisine (:

Anyway, we actually have spices industry - inventing & improving spice / aromatic plants. For example, I think we got at least 7 types of basil (all with different taste) which we are marketing all around the world.

Well, since the missiles are coming back tomorrow (well, they already have, but not to Hafia), I "pumped" myself with one sumptuous meal and lots of good music. All I need now is a good wine. Any recommendations?

p.s: my name has nothing to do with that wine, It means a 'secret song' in Hebrew.
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    I live in Israel, so I found it VERY hilarious to "realize" we don't have a cuisine (:

Anyway, we actually have spices industry - inventing & improving spice / aromatic plants. For example, I think we got at least 7 types of basil (all with different taste) which we are marketing all around the world.

Well, since the missiles are coming back tomorrow (well, they already have, but not to Hafia), I "pumped" myself with one sumptuous meal and lots of good music. All I need now is a good wine. Any recommendations?

p.s: my name has nothing to do with that wine, It means a 'secret song' in Hebrew.

Isreali cilantro is some of the best I've had ... I got it in these frozen little squares, thinking it wouldn't be very great (because, you know, its frozen). I was wrong. Good stuff.
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    My lebonese friend won't shut up about the nuts in Lebanon. Not sure what kind exactly though.
  • Options
    jsandjsand Posts: 646
    sourdough wrote:
    My lebonese friend won't shut up about the nuts in Lebanon. Not sure what kind exactly though.

Is he referring to Hezbollah?
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    sourdough wrote:

IDF testicles?
    You've changed your place in this world!