Options

Lebanese and Jewish food

MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,126
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
I like Lebanese food much more than Jewish food. So, I guess I'm pulling for Lebanon.
11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i man, i could really go for a shwarma right now...
    "Science has proof without certainty... Religion has certainty without proof"
    -Ashley Montagu
  • Options
    i can't get enough of the falafel at the local lebanese restaruant.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    What kinds of foods are traditional Lebonese?
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Milestone wrote:
    i can't get enough of the falafel at the local lebanese restaruant.
    I went to a Lebanese food festival recently, oh man, the food was all soo good. I wish i was eating it right now...
    "Science has proof without certainty... Religion has certainty without proof"
    -Ashley Montagu
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    What kinds of foods are traditional Lebonese?

here is a link to some of the basics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanese_cuisine
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    Finally, one logical argument.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Shwarma is nasty. Not my bag, baby.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Milestone wrote:
    here is a link to some of the basics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanese_cuisine

It all looks pretty normal to me Schwarma looks just like Gyro when it's being made.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Shwarma is nasty. Not my bag, baby.

You do eat chicken and beef? Same thing ain't it? It just spins on a spit.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    even flow? wrote:

they are essentially the same food ... i went to a jewish restaurant the other day and like 75% of the menu is the same as a lebanese restaurant ... although i do find the lebanese versions more flavourful ...
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    where do bagels fit in?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    are you talking about Lebanese and Jewish food or American Lebanese and American Jewish food?
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • Options
    good idea, thanks i'll pick up some Lebanese food tonight... Jewish food is really not bad either, do not count smoked meat out, although there's no good smoke meat joint in my area, but this Chateau du Liban restaurant will do it for me tonight...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Puck78 wrote:
    are you talking about Lebanese and Jewish food or American Lebanese and American Jewish food?

probably american jewish food, but still if a bagel joint is own by jewish, it's jewish food, no? Unless there is an Israel food, i don't know. I don't care, i love these smoked meat, jewish or not...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:

I think its a conditioned taste aversion to anything with that name, because I recently got sick after some cheap shwarma. Not cool. I will probably get over it eventually.
  • Options
    and Jewish deli food rules. Koster pastrami is to die for.
  • Options
    I think its a conditioned taste aversion to anything with that name, because I recently got sick after some cheap shwarma. Not cool. I will probably get over it eventually.

there's one with chicken instead, can't tell the name, can't even tell if it's Lebanese, but it's damn good...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    CaterinaACaterinaA Posts: 572
    polaris wrote:
    they are essentially the same food ... i went to a jewish restaurant the other day and like 75% of the menu is the same as a lebanese restaurant ... although i do find the lebanese versions more flavourful ...

Well , not all jewish food is similar to the Lebanese.

Sefardi jewish food is very similar to Lebanese and other countries from the Middle East, and also to Armenian food. Sefardi Jews are those descendants of the Jewish people who emigrated to the Iberic Peninsula and those whose background was from the Middle East.

Ashkenazi jewish food is nothing like Lebanese food. Askenasi Jews are the ones who make bagels, knishes, barenikes, kneidalaj guefiltefish and etc. Ashkenazi Jews are the "european jews", namely those with Russian, Polish, Czcech, German, etc, background.

Just to add some culinary data.
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    I must go tasting tonight and decide once and for all who is right and who is wrong. No matter what its called or who makes it, I think its impossible for any roasting/spinning meat to taste bad. mmm.... spinning....
  • Options
    I had falafel last night. Mmmmmmmmmm. Side of humus to dip some pita bread into. Mmmmmmmmm.
  • Options
    shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    CaterinaA wrote:
    Well , not all jewish food is similar to the Lebanese.

Sefardi jewish food is very similar to Lebanese and other countries from the Middle East, and also to Armenian food. Sefardi Jews are those descendants of the Jewish people who emigrated to the Iberic Peninsula and those whose background was from the Middle East.

Ashkenazi jewish food is nothing like Lebanese food. Askenasi Jews are the ones who make bagels, knishes, barenikes, kneidalaj guefiltefish and etc. Ashkenazi Jews are the "european jews", namely those with Russian, Polish, Czcech, German, etc, background.

Just to add some culinary data.

Well said. Most Israeli traditional food is derived from "Sefaradi" jewish food. Israeli food and Lebanese food are very much alike. Lebanese cuisine really pays attention for decorative dishes, especially when it comes to sweets. they use a lot of "rose-water" or "citrus flower-water" for the sweets, a special flaky pastry, pine nuts & pistachios. Pistachios are also used in cooked meat dishes (sheep-meat, chicken & all kinds of fishes), along side with spices like cumin coriander, parsley and some grains called 'burgul', which are also found in salads ('tabulla') and in oval meat-filled patties. There is also a great use in mazzetes (pre-main meal), such as humus (dish based on chick-peas).

Israeli cuisine is much more spicy hot, LOTS of spices, hot pepers, OLIVE OIL etc' - We use them in almost every main dish (rice, pasta ...). You all know our falafel & tehina, so there's nothing I should add about it. We also have an enormous variety of dairy products (main part of Israeli breakfast) and breads. I gotta say Israel is a quite agricultural power. We are inventing & improving all kinds of natural spices fruits & vegetables. Did you know we invented cherry-tomatos (thats how we call it here, I'm talking about the little small tomatos)? There's much more to tell, but I think its enough for now (:
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    Israeli cuisine is much more spicy hot, LOTS of spices, hot pepers, OLIVE OIL etc' - We use them in almost every main dish (rice, pasta ...). You all know our falafel & tehina, so there's nothing I should add about it. We also have an enormous variety of dairy products (main part of Israeli breakfast) and breads. I gotta say Israel is a quite agricultural power. We are inventing & improving all kinds of natural spices fruits & vegetables. Did you know we invented cherry-tomatos (thats how we call it here, I'm talking about the little small tomatos)? There's much more to tell, but I think its enough for now (:

No honey, falafel and tehina is not israeli, never was, never will be. This is what is called cultural imperialism, first you take the their land and then their culture. Thieves till the end.
  • Options
    purrmo wrote:
    No honey, falafel and tehina is not israeli, never was, never will be. This is what is called cultural imperialism, first you take the their land and then their culture. Thieves till the end.

Quit being so damn rude ... Its possible that two or more cultures can share a cuisine!
  • Options
    jsandjsand Posts: 646
    purrmo wrote:

What a fucking baby.
  • Options
    shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    purrmo wrote:

our falafel & tehina = our version.

aggressive-impulsive all the way.
  • Options
    Well excuse me, my fucking apologies, for not handing over every single damn thing to the israelis, is there fucking anything I get to keep for myself? They have to fucking take everything big and small, Fuck man, I am fed up of all of it.
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    our falafel & tehina = our version.

aggressive-impulsive all the way.

Add virulent and repugnant to that.
  • Options
    purrmo wrote:
    Well excuse me, my fucking apologies, for not handing over every single damn thing to the israelis, is there fucking anything I get to keep for myself? They have to fucking take everything big and small, Fuck man, I am fed up of all of it.

Uh oh. Did I just hear a bomb belt being strapped on?
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    Well said. Most Israeli traditional food is derived from "Sefaradi" jewish food. Israeli food and Lebanese food are very much alike. Lebanese cuisine really pays attention for decorative dishes, especially when it comes to sweets. they use a lot of "rose-water" or "citrus flower-water" for the sweets, a special flaky pastry, pine nuts & pistachios. Pistachios are also used in cooked meat dishes (sheep-meat, chicken & all kinds of fishes), along side with spices like cumin coriander, parsley and some grains called 'burgul', which are also found in salads ('tabulla') and in oval meat-filled patties. There is also a great use in mazzetes (pre-main meal), such as humus (dish based on chick-peas).

wowowowowow, now i'm hungry... i can almost taste it...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Quit being so damn rude ... Its possible that two or more cultures can share a cuisine!

like Canada stealing Maple Syrup from Québec!!!!!!!! leave our poutine alone!!!! :)
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau