Wal-Mart Fights Maryland Law Mandating Minimus Level of Health Benefit Spending

Comments

• It will come down on the taxpayers. Walmart's wage and benefit packages are so low, the public welfare system gets stuck with providing basic essentials to many Walmart employees, such as food stamps, housing and health care.
  • surferdude wrote:
    Sorry but everyone can afford to not shop at Wal-Mart. My morals and principals are not for sale. Shopping at Wal-Mart only buys misery for others.

I agree, they can but so many aren't even aware of what walmart does and how they operate. I've surprised more people than I can count with facts about walmarts policy towards employees. that is real...these people didn't have a clue about it.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • i'm not going to bother answering ridiculous questions.

What's ridiculous about it?
  • It will come down on the taxpayers. Walmart's wage and benefit packages are so low, the public welfare system gets stuck with providing basic essentials to many Walmart employees, such as food stamps, housing and health care.

BINGO!!! We have a winner. That is the sole motivation behind this law, what it's made to prevent.
  • Ah...more opportunities for employment you mean? How many companies do you think will beating down Maryland's door to get in with laws like this in place?

the problem lies in the fact that these companies are allowed to get by with this shit elsewhere not in the fact that maryland is trying to help it's citizens out.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025
    I'm not lucky. I earned what I have.

Perhaps, though I think many African Americans and many women would certainly disagree with you.

You cannot break down something by resorting to its tactics. You can't make peace with bombs.

1. You're not at all lucky? Please consider your subject-position for one moment: are you male or female (having a penis gives you an advatage)/are you caucasian or not caucasian (in this country being white gives you an advantage)/where were you born (not living in the inner city and having to go to urban public schools gives you an advantage)/what class did you come from as a kid?/are you hetero- or homo- sexual (being straight and married certainly gives you advantages ... particularly in taxation, etc.)

You may not have all advantages, but to imply that you earned everything you had only serves to overlook historical inequities that still take place in this country.

2. African-Americans may disagree, but, then again, Mexican's and other illegal immigrants are taking there place...worse African-American's have turned their backs on the new poor.

3. That's what we've been told our whole life, but has anything changed?
  • the problem lies in the fact that these companies are allowed to get by with this shit elsewhere not in the fact that maryland is trying to help it's citizens out.

Hahahaha......there it is. That's what I was waiting for. And then what happens when this becomes a federal law?
  • Maryland's unemployment has dropped to 4.2% from 5.2 in Jan.

-Oscar Wilde
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    BINGO!!! We have a winner. That is the sole motivation behind this law, what it's made to prevent.

so, by 'fuck this law' you mean to hold your gun to the maryland taxpayers heads to pay for health care instead of Wal-Mart, a multi-billion $ company (whose profit comes from their cheap labor costs)??
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    You know what will really make me laugh. When Wal-Mart figures out that it can hit the 8% mark just by providing a very lavish plan to a select group of management employees.

Wal-Mart wants to keep it's employees being it's customer base. Providing healthcare benefits only helps these employees shop elsewhere. Wal-Mart will find a way arond this. Wal-Mart will find a way to protect it's customer base. They are very good at playing on the edges of the rule and winning in business. I'm sure they'll succeed again, it's what they do.

Wal-Mart is not the problem, only the symptom. Spending time and money attacking the symptom and not the problem is a waste of resources and neither time nor money well spent. But it does alleviate a lot of people's guilt by the sounds of this board.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • ryan198 wrote:
    1. You're not at all lucky? Please consider your subject-position for one moment: are you male or female (having a penis gives you an advatage)

I do have a penis...thanks for asking. Can you tell me what my penis has done for me in this context?
    are you caucasian or not caucasian (in this country being white gives you an advantage)

I am caucasion. Can you tell me what my whiteness has done for me in this context?
    where were you born (not living in the inner city and having to go to urban public schools gives you an advantage)

I was born in a small town. I went to private school. The first is luck. The second was earned, but not by me.
    what class did you come from as a kid?

Poor. Not abject poor, but poor. Single mother who worked her ass off.
    are you hetero- or homo- sexual (being straight and married certainly gives you advantages ... particularly in taxation, etc.)

Hetero, unmarried.
    You may not have all advantages, but to imply that you earned everything you had only serves to overlook historical inequities that still take place in this country.

And to imply that an average has any bearing on my direct singular experience is a little insulting, thanks.
    2. African-Americans may disagree, but, then again, Mexican's and other illegal immigrants are taking there place...worse African-American's have turned their backs on the new poor.

That's fair.
    3. That's what we've been told our whole life, but has anything changed?

Not as long as people keep supporting it, no.
    surferdude wrote:
    You know what will really make me laugh. When Wal-Mart figures out that it can hit the 8% mark just by providing a very lavish plan to a select group of management employees.

Wal-Mart wants to keep it's employees being it's customer base. Providing healthcare benefits only helps these employees shop elsewhere. Wal-Mart will find a way arond this. Wal-Mart will find a way to protect it's customer base. They are very good at playing on the edges of the rule and winning in business. I'm sure they'll succeed again, it's what they do.

Wal-Mart is not the problem, only the symptom. Spending time and money attacking the symptom and not the problem is a waste of resources and neither time nor money well spent. But it does alleviate a lot of people's guilt by the sounds of this board.

it doesn't alleviate shit...it's just a step.
    I agree, they can but so many aren't even aware of what walmart does and how they operate. I've surprised more people than I can count with facts about walmarts policy towards employees. that is real...these people didn't have a clue about it.
    And this law does nothing to educate the consumer. In fact it allows the taxpayer to feel no guilt in shopping at Wal-Mart in the future. It only makes the actual problem worse.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Hahahaha......there it is. That's what I was waiting for. And then what happens when this becomes a federal law?

when the citizens start becoming the first priority over corporations, I see a lot of good happening. you don't agree...I already know.

-Oscar Wilde
  • El_Kabong wrote:
    so, by 'fuck this law' you mean to hold your gun to the maryland taxpayers heads to pay for health care instead of Wal-Mart, a multi-billion $ company (whose profit comes from their cheap labor costs)??

Certainly not. I just want the state of Maryland to admit that its "right to healthcare" doesn't in fact grow on trees, and they're very afraid to admit it.
  • when the citizens start becoming the first priority over corporations, I see a lot of good happening. you don't agree...I already know.

I do agree! Citizens are far more important than corporations.
  • surferdude wrote:
    And this law does nothing to educate the consumer. In fact it allows the taxpayer to feel no guilt in shopping at Wal-Mart in the future. It only makes the actual problem worse.

how do you suggest we go about educating people about walmart apart form what we are already doing? i mean something that will actually work on a large scale.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Maryland's unemployment has dropped to 4.2% from 5.2 in Jan.

Ever hear of summer time?
  • I do agree! Citizens are far more important than corporations.

cool beans!

-Oscar Wilde
  • Ever hear of summer time?

it's already a low stat.

-Oscar Wilde
    when the citizens start becoming the first priority over corporations, I see a lot of good happening. you don't agree...I already know.
    I agree with you. But the government's role should be in taxation and wealth distribution via social programs. Implimenting this law at the federal level will raise prices hurting the poor more so the rich. And I thought it was the poor you were trying to protect!!!
    It will also chase jobs out of the country and deter new investment. In general both these have a larger negative impact on the poor than the rich. And I thought it was the poor you were trying to protect!!!
    ~ Bob Marley
    I do have a penis...thanks for asking. Can you tell me what my penis has done for me in this context?

I am caucasion. Can you tell me what my whiteness has done for me in this context?

I was born in a small town. I went to private school. The first is luck. The second was earned, but not by me.

Poor. Not abject poor, but poor. Single mother who worked her ass off.

Hetero, unmarried.

And to imply that an average has any bearing on my direct singular experience is a little insulting, thanks.

That's fair.

Not as long as people keep supporting it, no.

Having a penis gives you an advantage given that historically men have ruled this world, as such, given this past people CERTAINLY make unspoken assumptions about others based on if they are male and/or female.

Whiteness gives you the advantage of not being looked at as an
    automatic suspect by the cops, , it allows you to be every race and no race at once (ever seen a black band-aid or ace bandage?...how many black business-owners did you know growing up vs. black athletes? that's just the start of it) it allows you to walk into a room and (because of averages) gain the respect of people who don't even know you because of assumptions they make.

Private school vs. Public school - you earned that? that's an advantage.

hetero vs. homo- if you were openly gay would other people just work for you, and or do business with you? you can flip it around, but being straight is definitely an advantage.

You may not think averages affect you, but they certainly do b/c people make assumptions based on these averages. Given that the averages tilt in your favor you definitely had advantages over "other" people in this world just based on having an xy chromosome, white skin, and being straight...sorry to break it to you but you didn't earn EVERYTHING.
    how do you suggest we go about educating people about walmart apart form what we are already doing? i mean something that will actually work on a large scale.
    Well the number one place where "love thy neighbour" is taught seems to be heavily frowned upon on this board, and school is certainly no place for this idea or so it seems.
    That leaves you the same method as everyone else has to get ideas out. Advertise, inform consumers through the very mediums that Wal-Mart uses.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • surferdude wrote:
    That leaves you the same method as everyone else has to get ideas out. Advertise, inform consumers through the very mediums that Wal-Mart uses.

We have local protests at our Wal-Mart as well every week.
  • surferdude wrote:

People trying to do what they can to fix this horrible problem is a good thing. It would of course help more if companies like walmart didn't get unneeded tax breaks but of course no bitching from you guys where that is concerned. Enjoying your laugh about walmart continuing to find way to screw the working class...the backbone of our country or at least used to be now they are nothing more than expendable semi slaves who deserve nothing but the scrap walmart might toss them....we've got our use out of them.

-Oscar Wilde
    surferdude wrote:
    and school is certainly no place for this idea or so it seems.
    not when places like Wal-Mart and Fed Ex donate loads of money to schools and decide who sits as chair in departments.
  • We have local protests at our Wal-Mart as well every week.

haven't been hearing about too many of those

-Oscar Wilde
    ryan198 wrote:
    Having a penis gives you an advantage given that historically men have ruled this world, as such, given this past people CERTAINLY make unspoken assumptions about others based on if they are male and/or female.

Whiteness gives you the advantage of not being looked at as an
    automatic suspect by the cops, , it allows you to be every race and no race at once (ever seen a black band-aid or ace bandage?...how many black business-owners did you know growing up vs. black athletes? that's just the start of it) it allows you to walk into a room and (because of averages) gain the respect of people who don't even know you because of assumptions they make.

Private school vs. Public school - you earned that? that's an advantage.

hetero vs. homo- if you were openly gay would other people just work for you, and or do business with you? you can flip it around, but being straight is definitely an advantage.

You may not think averages affect you, but they certainly do b/c people make assumptions based on these averages. Given that the averages tilt in your favor you definitely had advantages over "other" people in this world just based on having an xy chromosome, white skin, and being straight...sorry to break it to you but you didn't earn EVERYTHING.
    Why show farfromglorified or anyone be held accountable for the ignorance of others????
    farfromglorified probably promotes a level of respect for the individual that is higher than anyone else's on this board. He is all about freedom of the individual.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • surferdude wrote:
    Well the number one place where "love thy neighbour" is taught seems to be heavily frowned upon on this board, and school is certainly no place for this idea or so it seems.

loving and caring for your neighbors is a grand thing to teach at school and doesn't have to have a damn thing to do with religon.

advertising costs money we don't have

-Oscar Wilde
    surferdude wrote:
    Why show farfromglorified or anyone be held accountable for the ignorance of others????
    farfromglorified probably promotes a level of respect for the individual that is higher than anyone else's on this board. He is all about freedom of the individual.
    Part of fighting for freedom of the individual is understanding the advantages and disadvanteges each individual has because of ignorance. Plus he implied that he had EARNED everything he got in life, and that's not the case given the ignorance of others.