Options

The Jesus Economy

2»

Comments

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    danmac wrote:
    So why don't all christians go kill themselves?

What an awfully sad way to live one's life. I feel for you. Good luck.

I feel much more for you.

Perhaps I wasn't very clear. What I was saying was that the purpose of Christianity is not to have prosperity on earth. I've never seen anything that supported that. The purpose is to have prosperity in the afterlife.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    know1 wrote:
    Perhaps I wasn't very clear. What I was saying was that the purpose of Christianity is not to have prosperity on earth. I've never seen anything that supported that. The purpose is to have prosperity in the afterlife.

I have. It's called tele-evangelism and a centre piece of many modern "mega churches" where your belief will equate economic prosperity in this life. Pretty big in the slums in Brazil among others.

It's stuff like that that gives the rabid anti-christian ammunition for their attacks.

I'm not accusing you here, you seem like rather a sensible sort of christian, and I mean that as a compliment. :)

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Options
    I have. It's called tele-evangelism and a centre piece of many modern "mega churches" where your belief will equate economic prosperity in this life. Pretty big in the slums in Brazil among others.

It's stuff like that that gives the rabid anti-christian ammunition for their attacks.

I'm not accusing you here, you seem like rather a sensible sort of christian, and I mean that as a compliment. :)

Peace
    Dan

Then I submit to you that is not Christianity.

Thanks for the compliment.

• Options
    danmacdanmac Posts: 387
    know1 wrote:
    I feel much more for you.

Why feel for me? I'm not sitting around earning brownie points in this life waiting for the next one to be better. Unless someone proves otherwsie, this is all we have, and this is the only shot at this thing we call living we are ever going to get.

'No time to be void, or save upon life, you gotta spend it all...'
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options
    danmac wrote:
    Why feel for me? I'm not sitting around earning brownie points in this life waiting for the next one to be better. Unless someone proves otherwsie, this is all we have, and this is the only shot at this thing we call living we are ever going to get.

'No time to be void, or save upon life, you gotta spend it all...'

...and you're living your one shot on a message board...

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    why does anyone feel the need to insult another's religious beliefs while in debate over religion? it's all fine and good to think something is bunk....but where is any decency towards another's beliefs? and then we wonder, why none of this respect exists elsewhere? just a thought...
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    Rushlimbo wrote:
    I've heard that some people believe that the prosperity of the United States is directly corelated to their belief in Jesus Christ. I'm wondering if anyone has ever broken this down state by state. Do states with the highest Christian church attendance fair better than states with poor church attendance? Are states' prosperity affected negatively if they have a higher than normal Islamic or Budhist worshiping? perhaps it depends on the number of Bibles vs Koran copies that exist within state boundaries (states with more hotel rooms have a definite advantage here). I'm RAPTURED by this theory.

JC loves making money. That's why he expelled the money lenders from the Temple.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
  • Options
    miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,452
    angelica wrote:
    You might want to credit wikipedia for that.

This does not take into account the many Godly people who work very hard and yet suffer hardship after hardship. Or the Godly people who are very poor. Or the Godly people who suffer from illnesses.

It is my understanding that God's will is about a power far greater than us. I think to judge God's will shows where we are at, not where God is at.

I didnt know i was writing a term paper professor...ill make sure to quote everything next time as i hope you do also
    America...the greatest Country in the world.
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    miller8966 wrote:
    I didnt know i was writing a term paper professor...ill make sure to quote everything next time as i hope you do also

When we post anything, it shows up with our name on it. If we directly quote another source and don't credit it, it comes off as though we, ourselves, wrote it.

plariarise: 1. To use and pass off (the ideas or writings of another) as one's own.
    2. To appropriate for use as one's own passages or ideas from (another).

Whether it's handing it in to a professor or posting it under your username on a message board, it's the same act of passing it off as your own.

(edit: and I so get the irony of this edit: dictionary source: dictionary.com. :o )
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    hailhailkchailhailkc Posts: 582
    know1 wrote:
    Christianity as I know it has nothing to do with earthly prosperity. It's about heaven and prosperity in the afterlife. This life means very little.

And I agree. I never said that it was all about earthly prosperity.
    MOSSAD NATO Alphabet Stations (E10)
    High Traffic ART EZI FTJ JSR KPA PCD SYN ULX VLB YHF
    Low Traffic CIO MIW
    Non Traffic ABC BAY FDU GBZ HNC NDP OEM ROV TMS ZWL
  • Options
    RushlimboRushlimbo Posts: 832
    hailhailkc wrote:
    And I agree. I never said that it was all about earthly prosperity.

Goodness. I'm pretty sure you said that nations with Christianity have prospered economically including food and shelter over those nations that are primarily Muslim. Perhaps we should reread your argument from earlier? If you want to rehash your statement then that would be more than acceptable to admit you are wrong. No shame in that as long as you mean it.
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength