Options

Church Minister jailed for life - 35 counts of abuse including rape

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/5223624.stm

A church minister who pleaded guilty to 35 counts of child abuse, including two charges of raping an 11-year-old boy, has been sentenced to life in prison.
The Reverend Simon Thomas, 44, of Hythe, Hampshire, admitted the charges at Southampton Crown Court.

The court heard he had used internet chatrooms to groom his victims.

A judge said Thomas, a former minister at United Reformed Church, must serve a minimum of seven and a half years before he is eligible for parole.

Thomas, who had worked in Hythe for 10 years and was married, was suspended by the United Reformed Church pending disciplinary proceedings.

Most of the offences took place during the last three years, the court heard.

The charges against him included inciting children to engage in sexual activity, meeting children following sexual grooming, indecency with a child, sexual activity with an 11-year-old and making indecent photographs of children

According to some on here.... he'll still get into heaven, yet some of the abused kids wont... hmmmmmm thats great :)
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Just makes the arguement for the "all gay club" that much more truthful. I mean the story of Mary Magdalene is just in the bible to get your mind off of the fact twelve guys just hung around with this one guy being gay and hanging on his every story. Why get persecuted when you can have your own club.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    According to some on here.... he'll still get into heaven, yet some of the abused kids wont... hmmmmmm thats great :)[/b]

And your point is?

Christians believe he can be forgiven and therefore can go to heaven.

Christians do not believe that being abused will keep the victims out of heaven.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    robbierobbie Posts: 882
    how could it be heaven for the kids this christian raped if they have to live with their rapist for eternity?
  • Options
    robbie wrote:
    how could it be heaven for the kids this christian raped if they have to live with their rapist for eternity?

You can't think of heaven in terms of earthly experience...

• Options
    dkst0426dkst0426 Posts: 523
    robbie wrote:
    It's not about your past. It's about your mindset when your time comes. If this guy remains unrepentant, then he will get his just desserts. People ARE capable of realizing where they have fallen well short, you know? And it's not just a matter of "Oh my gosh, I'm about to die, I'd better repent." That is an altogether far too simplistic view of things. God knows your heart.
  • Options
    VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,218
    even flow? wrote:
    Just makes the arguement for the "all gay club" that much more truthful. I mean the story of Mary Magdalene is just in the bible to get your mind off of the fact twelve guys just hung around with this one guy being gay and hanging on his every story. Why get persecuted when you can have your own club.

Don't you mean 13 guys--what about Rufus? :)
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    It's not about your past. It's about your mindset when your time comes. If this guy remains unrepentant, then he will get his just desserts. People ARE capable of realizing where they have fallen well short, you know? And it's not just a matter of "Oh my gosh, I'm about to die, I'd better repent." That is an altogether far too simplistic view of things. God knows your heart.

So then god knows that this jerkoff just ruined some young innocent boys lives. Good to know that religion has been warped enough that you actually break a commandment and you are welcomed into the arms of god when you repent. Makes great sense. A good way to keep on doing wrong and then just dismissing it because you will get in on saying sorry. And no I don't buy the BS about it all coming from the heart when you repent. You have a brain to know right and wrong while commiting the act. Does it just get smart because your time is near and you really, really, want to get into heaven now? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    VictoryGin wrote:
    Don't you mean 13 guys--what about Rufus? :)

Wasn't Rufus the guy that you would only see his sandals from under the table in all the paintings? ;)
  • Options
    VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,218
    even flow? wrote:
    Wasn't Rufus the guy that you would only see his sandals from under the table in all the paintings? ;)

Of course! He was the black one and so was naturally subjugated.
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
  • Options
    robbierobbie Posts: 882
    know1 wrote:
    You can't think of heaven in terms of earthly experience...

or with any kind of logic...or reality.....or sanity.
  • Options
    VictoryGin wrote:

Is that why the book of Rufus was the last one in the bible?
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    So then god knows that this jerkoff just ruined some young innocent boys lives. Good to know that religion has been warped enough that you actually break a commandment and you are welcomed into the arms of god when you repent. Makes great sense. A good way to keep on doing wrong and then just dismissing it because you will get in on saying sorry. And no I don't buy the BS about it all coming from the heart when you repent. You have a brain to know right and wrong while commiting the act. Does it just get smart because your time is near and you really, really, want to get into heaven now? :rolleyes:
    The question was asked, and an answer was offered. I'm sorry if that appears to be insufficient for you.
  • Options
    robbie wrote:
    That's right. Heaven and all things Christian are just set up as concepts for others to ridicule. Silly me.

Where is this "tolerance" people (religious and non-religious) speak so highly of?
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:

You're clueless about Christianity, huh?

I'm thankful that there is a God who can forgive all my imperfections. I'm also thankful there are people who try to pass along that forgiveness as well.

I'm sorry that you don't believe in forgiveness.

• Options
    robbie wrote:

So you think if there was a God, this God wouldn't be just a bit more intelligent or see things and understand things different than humans?

• Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    dkst0426 wrote:
    That's right. Heaven and all things Christian are just set up as concepts for others to ridicule. Silly me.

Where is this "tolerance" people (religious and non-religious) speak so highly of?

I wonder the SAME THING!! I've never seen more blasphemy than I do here on the train by the same ppl that claim they are tolerant and respectful of everyones religious beliefs!

But then again, it does say in the end times, all Christians will be persecuted, so it looks like the time is drawing near!

Thank God!
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Which is why I am worried about going to this Christian Heaven... I mean, just about every convicted murderer in prison seems to find Jesus... I picture Heaven as the Rikers Island or San Quintin exercise yard, except there are clouds and shit all around. It just don't seem fair to me... if the person they raped and murdered had not repented yet... they end up in the lake of fire.
    And by this logic... Adolph Hitler is up in Heaven because he was Christian (Catholic) and who knows if he repented?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    You're clueless about Christianity, huh?

I'm thankful that there is a God who can forgive all my imperfections. I'm also thankful there are people who try to pass along that forgiveness as well.

I'm sorry that you don't believe in forgiveness.

Must have been a glitch in the perfection of god that it allows such mistakes to just go unpunished.
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Which is why I am worried about going to this Christian Heaven... I mean, just about every convicted murderer in prison seems to find Jesus... I picture Heaven as the Rikers Island or San Quintin exercise yard, except there are clouds and shit all around. It just don't seem fair to me... if the person they raped and murdered had not repented yet... they end up in the lake of fire.
    If a convicted murderer or rapist, in his or her time while in prison, devotes their life to accepting Christ and turning over a new leaf and studying the Bible and putting into practice what he's learned, he's doing a lot more than a lot of people who sit in church pews on any given Sunday.
    And by this logic... Adolph Hitler is up in Heaven because he was Christian (Catholic) and who knows if he repented?
    Yes, he was a member of the Catholic church, but his actions certainly spoke far louder than his words and actions. On the flip side, it IS scary to me as well that for all I know, there's a chance he's in heaven. Extremely scary.

But if he did truly and earnestly repent out of contrition and love rather than guilt and fear of his fate, well..........that's why I'm not God.
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Must have been a glitch in the perfection of god that it allows such mistakes to just go unpunished.

Or maybe a glitch to allow people the free will to not believe in God at all...

• Options
    even flow? wrote:
    How did it go unpunished? Is this topic not ABOUT the punishment? Anybody who would commit such acts has to live with their own tormented soul. That is punishment as well.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    Or maybe a glitch to allow people the free will to not believe in God at all...
    Nope--more like an act of love from a God who could easily be a puppetmaster.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    VictoryGin wrote:

was he in the Madonna video... :cool:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    If a convicted murderer or rapist, in his or her time while in prison, devotes their life to accepting Christ and turning over a new leaf and studying the Bible and putting into practice what he's learned, he's doing a lot more than a lot of people who sit in church pews on any given Sunday.

Yes, he was a member of the Catholic church, but his actions certainly spoke far louder than his words and actions. On the flip side, it IS scary to me as well that for all I know, there's a chance he's in heaven. Extremely scary.

But if he did truly and earnestly repent out of contrition and love rather than guilt and fear of his fate, well..........that's why I'm not God.
    Still... you see my point, right?
    I mean if the victim of this murderer doesn't fit the criteria set by the church... they end up in Hell. Is that what God deems as 'Just or Fair'? Like, if you think about it... O.J.Simpson has time to repent and get in, but Nicole and Ron do not. Why should O.J. get the chance and not the persons he murdered (and we all know he did it... he was aquitted, not innocent)?
    And as for Hitler... he never technically killed anyone... his soldiers did. He actually believed he was helping rid the God Fearing Europeans of the Jewish scourge that had killed his Savior.
    This is why i have all of these questions. I don't want my God to be held to the restrictions of Man's religions. I am hoping that He will judge me on the character of my being and my acts, rather than the doctrine of an organized tax-exempt institution.
    And don't get me wrong... I believe in the whole forgiveness thing. But, I also believe in personal accountability for your actions. We all know it is wrong to kill... religious beliefs aside... yet, we do it all the time. I believe we should be held accountable for our decisions and our actions. Certain religions let you get away with it, as long as you follow the right procedures and believe in them.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Nope--more like an act of love from a God who could easily be a puppetmaster.

I know - that was my point.

• Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    How did it go unpunished? Is this topic not ABOUT the punishment? Anybody who would commit such acts has to live with their own tormented soul. That is punishment as well.

Glad you believe that. Wouldn't his soul (since he was a priest) be filled with goodness that he should have known what he was doing was only good for the internet. Maybe that is what god really wanted him to do and you and I are not in tune with that crazy thing some refer to as god.

If the guy strings himself up. He may be tormented by his soul. If not. He must have enjoyed destroying some young lives.

Who would want to be in a heaven with that. If I was one of those kids fathers and got to heaven. I would search that prick out and kill his soul. Just to add more punishment to his life in paradise.
  • Options
    How sad to only think in terms of punishment, revenge and a human's perception of fairness....

• Options
    Cosmo, I want to go on record as saying that I really appreciate how you are framing your posts. I can take criticism/debunking of Christianity, it just gets old when it's worded the way it tends to be worded. In your case, you are asking some very pointed questions, and these are questions all Christians wrestle with as part of their relationship with Christ. So, again, thank you and God bless you.

Now, on to your post........
    Cosmo wrote:
    Still... you see my point, right?
    I mean if the victim of this murderer doesn't fit the criteria set by the church... they end up in Hell. Is that what God deems as 'Just or Fair'? Like, if you think about it... O.J.Simpson has time to repent and get in, but Nicole and Ron do not. Why should O.J. get the chance and not the persons he murdered (and we all know he did it... he was aquitted, not innocent)?
    And as for Hitler... he never technically killed anyone... his soldiers did. He actually believed he was helping rid the God Fearing Europeans of the Jewish scourge that had killed his Savior.
    I do see your point(s). As I said (and by no means is this meant as a cop-out from trying to come up with some deep theological answer), these are points/questions many Christians struggle with. Besides the examples you bring up, there are questions about infant deaths, people who never had the chance to hear about God (as opposed to people who have and reject Him), etc. The best answer I can give you right now (I just woke up after a really late night) is that we are all part of a fallen race, and mankind as a whole lives in a state of sin, no matter how hard we try to do good things to make it right--hence my (and a lot of other Christians') opposition to a works-based model of salvation. I will gladly revisit this later when I have more time to think about it if you'd like.
    This is why i have all of these questions. I don't want my God to be held to the restrictions of Man's religions. I am hoping that He will judge me on the character of my being and my acts, rather than the doctrine of an organized tax-exempt institution.
    And don't get me wrong... I believe in the whole forgiveness thing. But, I also believe in personal accountability for your actions. We all know it is wrong to kill... religious beliefs aside... yet, we do it all the time. I believe we should be held accountable for our decisions and our actions. Certain religions let you get away with it, as long as you follow the right procedures and believe in them.
    God isn't limited to the restrictions of man. That's not His nature. However, it is very much in our own human nature to try and put "God in a box" (so to say).

We believe in accountability for our actions, too. Saying "Jesus, please save me" one time and accepting the gift of salvation comes with the caveat that our lives from that point on are meant to be changed lives hopefully changing others. There is a verse in Scripture that reads "faith without works" is dead, and yes, that is in opposition to a works-based salvation. Those "certain religions" you speak of are elements that have begun to creep into "postmodern" Christianity, and it's yet another thing for Christians to struggle with today.

Bottom line: we WILL be judged for the character of our being and our actions. And how we respond to Christ's sacrifice for our salvation.

I'm sorry if that was too preachy for some of you. That was a direct (albeit public) response to Cosmo, and if anyone would like to break down that response, you're of course free to do so. All I can ask is that you do so with a spirit of respect, as I have tried to be gracious.
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    This "born again" type of Christians scare the shit out of me. I think the there should be a limit to forgiveness. Yeah using the lord names in vien and what not should be forgiven, but the murderers and rapists should be doomed to hell.

Another example is Bush. I sure as hell dont want to go to heaven if hes going to be there. People hide behind religion far too often which is why so many people have a negative view of it.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    How sad to only think in terms of punishment, revenge and a human's perception of fairness....
    Ummm... I can't speak for everyone... but, the reason is... because I am human. I am not God, so i don't have God's perspective... I'm hoping He'll set me straight when i finally get to meet Him.
    Hail, Hail!!!