Options

If you're a Muslim, it's your problem

Comments

• Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    Why is it that, White Americans (and Christians) were held responsible and accountable for discouraging and eliminating the actions of a violent and murderous KKK, at the height of their violence and murder (and to some degree, are still scolded and denigrated for it ever happening); but Muslims are taken off the hook? Why?

When astutely highlighting a hypocrisy, it is good practice not to adopt it:
    NMyTree wrote:
    ...and it is their responsibility (as it is that of everyone else) to discourage and eliminate a radical, unreasonable and ultimately deadly variation of their beloved ideology. If in fact it is a misrepresenting, in a highly distorted, demented and unacceptable manner...their beloved "religion".
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    I disagree. I find it extremely true.

...and it is their responsibility (as it is that of everyone else) to discourage and eliminate a radical, unreasonable and ultimately deadly variation of their beloved ideology. if in fact it is a misrepresenting, in a highly distorted, demented and unacceptable manner...their beloved "religion".

Why is it that, White Americans (and Christians) were held responsible and accountable for discouraging and eliminating the actions of a violent and murderous KKK, at the height of their violence and murder (and to some degree, are still scolded and denigrated for it ever happening); but Muslims are taken off the hook? Why?

As far as i know, it's the Pakistan who helped to solve those last terrorist plot, are they known as christians? So no, it's not true, muslims are not silent about this, and you can't held them responsible for others act more than me and you. When they can, they do something, but peoples are paid to solve these problems, clerics have spoke out against radical islam, you probably just haven't heard about them.

Are you responsible for the KKK? I don't feel responsible at all for them, if generalizations lead you to believe that, it's sad...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    That's simply untrue. Many clerics publicly decry terrorism throughout this world, including the Middle East. Many also do not. You cannot impugn an entire population based on the actions of a sub-set of that population.

Religion doesn't belong to one man. Did David Koresh "hijack" Christianity? Is your local priest or bishop somehow partly responsible?

Look, a religion is not an airplane. It does not have a pilot. It is a set of ideas and concepts that any number of people can use for good or for evil. And when religious ideas are used the accountability lies with the men and women who are doing the using.

Comparing an isolated David Koresh and his followers (who by the way never broke any federal laws), to a raging and sweeping worldwide rampage of physical violence and political/social manipulation by extremist Muslims; seems hardly a valid comparison.
  • Options
    When astutely highlighting a hypocrisy, it is good practice not to adopt it:

That's the point.

Are we not, the citizens ( "The Westerners" ) not to blame and responsible for all the ills and problems of the Muslim global community; thus the reason they are killing innocent people all the time- here in the US, Britian and in many other places?

They kill people based on a religious and social generalization and they expect us to do something about what our government does. "We allow it" to happen, according to them. So we are all just as guilty. Many non-violent (in practice ) Muslims believe that.

So why is it different when the crap lands in their back yard?
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Here's something a bit more interesting to read than Stevens's spew, but it's relative to the theme of the thread anyway:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4791847.stm
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    Comparing an isolated David Koresh and his followers (who by the way never broke any federal laws), to a raging and sweeping worldwide rampage of physical violence and political/social manipulation by extremist Muslims; seems hardly a valid comparison.

Your entire argument hinges on a view that a religion is a single coherent body with a set of drivers who all hold responsibility for the direction of that vehicle. Therefore, scale is completely irrelevant. However, you may apply my question to the Crusades, the Inquisition, the corrupt acts of countless missionary systems and numerous other nefarious actions with a Western religion as an underlying motive.

Islamic terrorism is an affront to anyone who values life and freedom and rejects violent aggression. If you meet that standard, the problem belongs to you just as much as it belongs to a Muslim who also meets that standard. In the event that a Muslim fails in a defense, his failure cannot negate your own.
  • Options
    Here's something a bit more interesting to read than Stevens's spew, but it's relative to the theme of the thread anyway:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4791847.stm

Many good points in that article including the last few paragraphs on foreign policy and this quote:

" The first thing that we need to do as a community is admit there is a problem - It is like being an alcoholic - we need to stand up and say these things and have an open and honest debate

Haras Rafiq, Sufi Muslim Council "
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    Many good points in that article including the last few paragraphs on foreign policy and this quote:

" The first thing that we need to do as a community is admit there is a problem - It is like being an alcoholic - we need to stand up and say these things and have an open and honest debate

Haras Rafiq, Sufi Muslim Council "

oh, a muslim who spoke out... interesting...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Your entire argument hinges on a view that a religion is a single coherent body with a set of drivers who all hold responsibility for the direction of that vehicle. .

No, my argument doesn't hinge on it. They're argument has always hinged on it. I'm simply giving examples and illustrations of it. And that, is my point.

It is the hypocrisy I speak of.
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    That's the point.

You reject the argument that white Christians are responsible for the KKK, right? Why accept the corollary that all arab Muslims are responsible for terrorism?
    Are we not, the citizens ( "The Westerners" ) not to blame and responsible for all the ills and problems of the Muslim global community;

Of course not.
    thus the reason they are killing innocent people all the time- here in the US, Britian and in many other places?

That "thus" is faulty and you know it is.
    They kill people based on a religious and social generalization and they expect us to do something about what our government does. "We allow it" to happen, according to them. So we are all just as guilty. Many non-violent (in practice ) Muslims believe that.

We are partly guilty. Guilt is not always an either/or proposition. In an event of violent aggression, the aggressor is always the primary guilt holder. But a prenouncement of guilt requires a standard of justice. And in the context of Islamic terrorism vs people who desire peace and security, there are many different standards of justice that carry complex systems of guilt.
    So why is it different when the crap lands in their back yard?

It isn't different at all.
  • Options
    You reject the argument that white Christians are responsible for the KKK, right? Why accept the corollary that all arab Muslims are responsible for terrorism?

I don't. Never believed or thought such a thing.

Obviously I am not conveying my thoughts correctly.

My point is they in many ways, operate from a standpoint which generalizes billions of non-Islam believers and "westerners".

So I submit that there is a shitload of work to be done by everyone (including Muslims and non-believers); before any kind of progress can be accomplished.

But all generalizations must be dropped and eliminated by all sides (including Muslims dropping theirs).

I'm tired of people (both Muslims and non-Muslims) characterizing Muslims as innocent victims in all of this. If we are partly guilty, then they are also partly guilty. Muslims have contributed greatly to all of this. They never were innocent victims, who were minding their own business. Neither was the USA, Christians or anyone else. No one on this planet is capable of minding their own business and refraining from starting shit with others who disagree with them or are different from them in terms of ideology and social/political structure.

When one uses generalizations, whether out of ignorance or hate; those who are at the center of that focus will tend to respond exactly in the same manner. At least a certain percentage of them will.

Speaking from an idealistic standpoint, it would be wonderful if all generalizations were eliminated and disappeared. But we live in the real world and despite the fact that many of us don't subscribe to these kinds of generalizations; there are many on this planet who operate from such perceptions, every single day. And it is from all sides.

There's a lot of work to be done. But all sides must be willing to move forward and progress.

Realistically speaking, can this be accomplished? Can non-muslims move ahead on this? Can Muslims move ahead on this?
  • Options
    It is funny but take no offence America...but it seems the only people here disbelieving that there is ACTUALLY Islam Cleric outcry are those in America....I find that...how do I say it...typical considering the slamming Arabs get in the national media...being serious here....looking at those that say there is outcry...most of us our from other countries...once again going against the popular held opinion in America....like I said not trying to be insulting but it does seem to be the case.....
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    I don't. Never believed or thought such a thing.

Obviously I am not conveying my thoughts correctly.

My point is they in many ways, operate from a standpoint which generalizes billions of non-Islam believers and "westerners".

So I submit that there is a shitload of work to be done by everyone (including Muslims and non-believers); before any kind of progress can be accomplished.

But all generalizations must be dropped and eliminated by all sides (including Muslims dropping theirs).

I'm tired of people (both Muslims and non-Muslims) characterizing Muslims as innocent victims in all of this. If we are partly guilty, then they are also partly guilty. Muslims have contributed greatly to all of this. They never were innocent victims, who were minding their own business. Neither was the USA, Christians or anyone else. No one on this planet is capable of minding their own business and refraining from starting shit with others who disagree with them or are different from them in terms of ideology and social/political structure.

When one uses generalizations, whether out of ignorance or hate; those who are at the center of that focus will tend to respond exactly in the same manner. At least a certain percentage of them will.

Speaking from an idealistic standpoint, it would be wonderful if all generalizations were eliminated and disappeared. But we live in the real world and despite the fact that many of us don't subscribe to these kinds of generalizations; there are many on this planet who operate from such perceptions, every single day. And it is from all sides.

There's a lot of work to be done. But all sides must be willing to move forward and progress.

Excellent.
    Realistically speaking, can this be accomplished? Can non-muslims move ahead on this? Can Muslims move ahead on this?

Of course! It's a matter of principle. Too many people hold no or faulty principles on these issues. They denounce one side for actions that they defend from the other. That is an action of someone without any principle other than hatred for one side. Erase hate as a principle and you'll erase the generalizations and violence that stem from it. It is not easy, but it is realistic.
  • Options
    It is funny but take no offence America...but it seems the only people here disbelieving that there is ACTUALLY Islam Cleric outcry are those in America....I find that...how do I say it...typical considering the slamming Arabs get in the national media...being serious here....looking at those that say there is outcry...most of us our from other countries...once again going against the popular held opinion in America....like I said not trying to be insulting but it does seem to be the case.....

I understand you're not trying to be insulting. You're also probably not trying to be wrong.

Plenty of Americans understand that there are clerics condemning terrorism. Take the international jingoism elsewhere.
  • Options
    I understand you're not trying to be insulting. You're also probably not trying to be wrong.

Plenty of Americans understand that there are clerics condemning terrorism. Take the international jingoism elsewhere.

I have failed to see it in this thread.....you have people who will not even believe that there is those condeming...

BTW I'll take my jingoism anywhere I please.....
  • Options
    I have failed to see it in this thread.....

Look again. I'm in America. I make posts saying that there are clerics condemning the actions. I'm not alone. Do not blame your failure to read on my nation's failure to see.
    you have people who will not even believe that there is those condeming...

You have that everywhere. America holds no monopoly on stupidity.

Fair enough.
  • Options
    Look again. I'm in America. I make posts saying that there are clerics condemning the actions. I'm not alone. Do not blame your failure to read on my nation's failure to see.

You have that everywhere. America holds no monopoly on stupidity.

Fair enough.

I speak that the majority do not know this....just as there is some Canadians that also not know...my point is that the nation where it should matter is America considering its dealings with Fundanutlism...it is the nation where the majority need to know things are being done...because all I have to do is turn to FOx News (which gets the majority of the viewers and which I routinely subject myself to see the other side) to see Arabs getting sterotyped all over the place....and you do not hear this about the condeming being spoken....I take it then that the majority do not have a clue...and of all the countries in the world America is one where I would like to see Arab relations improved the most....that is the reasoning for my statement.....
  • Options
    I speak that the majority do not know this....just as there is some Canadians that also not know...my point is that the nation where it should matter is America considering its dealings with Fundanutlism...it is the nation where the majority need to know things are being done...because all I have to do is turn to FOx News (which gets the majority of the viewers and which I routinely subject myself to see the other side) to see Arabs getting sterotyped all over the place....and you do not hear this about the condeming being spoken....I take it then that the majority do not have a clue...and of all the countries in the world America is one where I would like to see Arab relations improved the most....that is the reasoning for my statement.....

Ok. This is a much more cogent statement.
  • Options
    I have failed to see it in this thread.....you have people who will not even believe that there is those condeming...

Speaking for myself only, I don't see much of it at all.

I know some do, but in my opinion it seems a very rare occurance. Certainly not even close to being enough.

Obviously I can't possibily monitor every worldwide news/media source, every minute of the day. Believe it or not, I have a job, a family and things to do.....lol :D

But I really don't see enough of it happening.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm missing most of it and that's why it seems like it barely ever occurs.
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    Speaking for myself only, I don't see much of it at all.

I know some do, but in my opinion it seems a very rare occurance. Certainly not even close to being enough.

Obviously I can't possibily monitor every worldwide news/media source, every minute of the day. Believe it or not, I have a job, a family and things to do.....lol :D

But I really don't see enough of it happening.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm missing most of it and that's why it seems like it barely ever occurs.

Which is fair enough...but I am becoming adamant in this thread b/c it is out there across the globe and that message needs to be properly delivered so that people know that there is Islam and then there is Islamic Fundanutalism...two very different gospels being spoken...yet in more circumstance being lumped together as one...which is very bad and very wrong....
  • Options
    Which is fair enough...but I am becoming adamant in this thread b/c it is out there across the globe and that message needs to be properly delivered so that people know that there is Islam and then there is Islamic Fundanutalism...two very different gospels being spoken...yet in more circumstance being lumped together as one...which is very bad and very wrong....

You know RIC, I understand your point. But I really think most people know there's a difference between the two. Or else you would have seen a plethora of anti-Muslim assualts/hate-crimes. I believe it is a very small percentage which lumps the two as one.

On the other hand, they are not doing much to help themselves, here.

When they show up for a protest rally, at the White House and demonstrate seperatism, by expelling hate, venom and defiance; they are not helping their cause.

They did not think and plan very well.

Here was an opportunity for them to illustrate unity, solidarity, respect and gratitude to this country (within the parameters of their protest), which has provided them with a safe home and comfortable life; that they may not have had in their own country. Instead, much like the illegal mexicans and their parade/protests-they came with their anger and hate on full display.

They seperated themselves by carrying and waving Hizbullah, Hammas and other Middle Eastern flags. They seperated themselves by spitting venom and hate.

They were not thinking.

Why couldn't they wave both flags, in a sign of solidarity, gratitude and respect?

You know as well as I do, that most people will form an opinion based on first impressions. When you plan a protest like this one .....at the White House.....in these times; you have to know it will get some national and international coverage.

Some of their signs and banners were absurd and downright child-like.

They succeeded in doing further damage to their percieved image and character.

If they took the time and had the desire you demonstrate their solidarity and unity as Americans, and show some respect as well as outrage; they would have taken some steps in educating and informing a lot of non-muslim Americans of their plight.

Instead, every friend and family member I have spoken to, in the last two days, is disgusted by their demonstrative venom and disrespect. As most were with the Mexicans.

Keep in mind, that many in my family and my friends are quite empathetic to the safety and peace of non-violent, non-radical Muslims. But not this time. All were disgusted.

I will also tell you that I have known and continue to know several Muslim people and their families. Sadly, two of the friends I spoke to, were not proud or happy with what occured at the White House. They were visably embarrassed. My other friend I have not spoken to him or his wife, since the protest. So I don't know where they stand on it.

It's all in how one presents himself/herself.
  • Options
    bigdvsbigdvs Posts: 235
    The Islamic/Arab culture is so different from that found in Western Europe and the Americas that it is difficult if not impossible to understand for most. And it is easy for the media to play off these ignorances to breed fear and false pretense (like there are no muslim clerics decrying Suicide bombers and terrorism). I am admittedly Roman Catholic and of Italian, German and Irish heritage. I do not consider myself Irish/German/Italian/Catholic first. The first thing is American all of that other stuff is secondary. In Islamic culture (even peaceful Islam) you are a Muslim first and live in a country and you are bound to your religion and its strictures not the government of the land you live in. This is where the culture of Islam is having issue living in Western Civilization. If you do not think this is the case go to Europe and visit the communities that are predominately Muslim, no attempt to assimilate to the country they have taken refuge in, just a defiante stance taken to force their culture into another country. Until that culture begins to change itself no amount of force or policing or understanding or cease fires will stop it.
    "The really important thing is not to live, but to live well. And to live well meant, along with more enjoyable things in life, to live according to your principles."
    — Socrates

• Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Speaking of ways in which Muslims can be stupid, check this out:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060814/wl_mideast_afp/iranmediaholocaust

Iran, in the middle as usual.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    let me preface this post by saying I'm surely not getting the full picture of Muslims...as I do acquire information from the American press...and some international news (BBC & the Internet)...but not much. But from the info I do have I don't see the response from Islamic leaders that needs to happen to help stem the conversion of sooo many young muslims becomming extremists..and violent. They know the view westerners have of Muslims..they see the killing....and not much other than some clerics making some statements. From what I know,..again, I admit not much..seems that Islam is intollerant (even more than Christianity) and this intollerace accepts a certain amount of fight against western society.
    I just hope one day people of faiths will just chill the fk out. I'm just afraid there is a larger and larger % of Muslims that feel their religion/culture will be lost and will do anything to fight it.....
    Course W's invasion of Iraq did not help.....big time hurt...if there were one thing that inflamed moderate Muslims (my opinion) was the invasion/occupation. Dumb Dumb move.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Speaking of ways in which Muslims can be stupid, check this out:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060814/wl_mideast_afp/iranmediaholocaust

Iran, in the middle as usual.

This is absolute bullshit and propaganda. There's not a shred of truth to their lame-ass justifications.

They, Muslims, are and have always been the one's who have complete disrespect and contempt for every other religion and it's icons.

But the very second Prophet Mohammed or a Muslim is parodized, they go nuts with physical violence and murder.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't give a shit about the caricurtures and illustrations of the Holocaust. If they want to do that, fine by me.

But they are downright lying out of their ass, regarding their motivations. Hypocritical lies. The double-standards are dispicable.
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    This is absolute bullshit and propaganda. There's not a shred of truth to their lame-ass justifications.

They, Muslims, are and have always been the one's who have complete disrespect and contempt for every other religion and it's icons.

But the very second Prophet Mohammed or a Muslim is parodized, they go nuts with physical violence and murder.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't give a shit about the caricurtures and illustrations of the Holocaust. If they want to do that, fine by me.

But they are downright lying out of their ass, regarding their motivations. Hypocritical lies. The double-standards are dispicable.

Their faith is obviously weak if it cannot bear a few cartoons. Sad-sack weak-ass faith. A real Muslim is someone who doesn't flip out and scream (not to mention commit!) bloody murder when someone disagrees.
  • Options
    Their faith is obviously weak if it cannot bear a few cartoons. Sad-sack weak-ass faith. A real Muslim is someone who doesn't flip out and scream (not to mention commit!) bloody murder when someone disagrees.

No one of any true faith should commit murder....
  • Options
    I also perceive a ton of irony in Iran's response to cartoons depicting the Prophet with explosives ... While at the same time they arm Hizbollah. WTF?!!!
    Maybe I'd understand the anger a bit more if the cartoon wasn't hinting at least a little bit at the fucking truth!
  • Options
    Just take a look at the headlines, today. Talk about classless, disrespectful and arrogant?

Hezbollah is " Declaring Victory " .

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/hezbollah-claims-historic-victory/2006/08/15/1155407772106.html

If this doesn't just scream at you, regarding the character and intentions of these pieces of crap; then nothing will ever get through your skulls.

Then of course, our very own moronic-mutant, has to get duped into this mindless, childish game of stupidity:rolleyes: ...and respond to the rantings of a maniacal-mental-midget.

http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/ap/2006/08/14/ap2948928.html

I am never surprised by how stupid our President is, to allow himself to be baited and duped into transparent, manipulative bullshit.
  • Options
    OpenOpen Posts: 792
    jsand wrote:

If you're a blind mindless poster, it's your problem.