Options

Looking at my order history in 10C Profile

2»

Comments

• Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    i wish prices would go up to $150 each personally.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,302
    No, it's not. That's definitely part of the equation.

i know. part of the equation. gas and inflation would have prices to go up 20% since '03...tops. not double
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    I remember getting really upset in the 90s and thinking $30 tickets was complete bull$*!t. a good show always ends up being worth the price.
  • Options
    do you know how much it cost to drive huge semi-trucks and buses all around the country today... compared to then.. they are not making any more money... they are just paying for gas.. the venues charge more too.. it's called inflation..look into it..

you are absolutely insane if you think they aren't making any money. they rake in millions per tour.
    "and onward goes this thing of ours."

Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Lsk6453 wrote:
    Hey wiseass, I was not complaining. I just said I missed the old days when tickets didn't cost so much. There was no complaint in my note.

exactly. why is it seen as a negative if one simply points out the obvious? i am HAPPY to see pj this year and any year, thus i pay to go see them. it is not a complaint to simply point out how much ticket prices have risen. we all know there is MUCH in the equation, sheesh! none the less...point still stands, i WISH my salary would skyrocket at the same rate. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    pj23yankspj23yanks Posts: 262
    How much were tickets to the Knicks at the garden in 2003? How much are they now and they suck?
    98: East Rutherford
    00: Saratoga Springs
    03: Albany, Uniondale, DC, MSG I & II, Holmdel
    04: Boston I
    05: Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Pittsburgh
    06: Toronto I & II, Hartford, Chicago I, Cleveland, Boston I & II, Philly I & II, DC, Milwaukee I, Vegas
    07: Lollapalooza
    08: Philly I, DC, MSG I & II
    09: Chicago I & II, LA III & IV, Philly I, II & IV
    10: St. Louis, Columbus, Buffalo, DC, Hartford, Boston
    11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Sao Paulo I & II, Rio, Costa Rica, Mexico City
    12: Berlin I & II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, Philly, Pensacola
    13: Chicago, Worcester I & II, Brooklyn II, Philly I & II, Hartford, Baltimore, Charlotte, Phoenix, San Diego, LA II, Oakland, Vancouver
    14: Milan, Trieste, Cincinnati, Austin I, Memphis, St Paul, Denver, Bridge School II
    15: NYC, Bogota, Mexico City
    16: Miami, Tampa, Hampton, NYC I & II, Quebec, Toronto I, Fenway II, Wrigley II
    18: Barcelona, Madrid, Seattle I, Boston I & II
    22: Glendale, Oakland I, Sacramento, Toronto, Quebec, Hamilton, MSG, Camden, Nashville, Denver, Amsterdam I, Zurich, Vienna, Prague
  • Options
    gus stillsgus stills Posts: 339
    A few things:

Gas has almost tripled in price since 2003. Not enough on its own to warrant the ticket hikes. But...

The band also invests, quite famously, in carbon credits. Which aren't cheap. Look how much they add to the price of an airline ticket when you check the box next time you book a flight...

Charities. The band gives more than most of us think. The last tour is was in the neighborhood of $2 a ticket, going to a specific charity for each show. 826 Seattle benefited quite a bit from the Gorge shows, and they needed it...

CD sales are down across the board. Not just PJ (though the last record sold better), but most everyone not affiliated with American Idol. I just paid $35 a pop to see Death Cab in EUGENE. Last time they came through it was in the $15 range. And I apologize to anyone who likes Death Cab (I do too!), but they are not in the same league, not even close. I stayed in the beer garden the entire show last time, enjoyed the music, went home. When I see Pearl Jam, I don't leave my seats...

Capitalism. Supply and demand. Pressure from other bands to keep prices equivalent. Who knows? Fact is, they deserve to do well financially. We may begrudge them their success at the cost of our pocketbook, but we still go to see them, right? We make a conscious choice when we open our wallets...

Good point made earlier about band employees. Wages go up for them too to match inflation....

And finally, these guys have families now. Their financial well being extends well beyond five guys who make music. If I was in their place, I'd find a balance between supporting the people who need to be supported, and keeping fans happy. And honestly, I think they do. I think they're still the best deal out there...
  • Options
    Laura in NJLaura in NJ Posts: 176
    That's not the point. The point is that the price of things increase over time, sometimes dramatically.

I'm sure in '96, we were all bitching about $25 tickets.

No we weren't, because in 1995, we paid $19.95 per ticket for the SPONSORED BY NO ONE TOUR!!!!

Laura in NJ
    Laura in NJ
    4-17-1994 Paramount Theater, NYC
    6-20-1995 Red Rocks (Sponsored By No One tour)
    6-23-1998 Fiddler’s Green, CO
    7-09-2003 MSG NYC
    9-28-2004 Fleet Center, Boston (Vote For Change warmup)
    6-01-2006 & 6-03-2006 E. Rutherford, NJ
    6-25-2008 MSG NYC * 7-07-2008 EV NJPAC
  • Options
    Laura in NJLaura in NJ Posts: 176
    exactly. why is it seen as a negative if one simply points out the obvious? i am HAPPY to see pj this year and any year, thus i pay to go see them. it is not a complaint to simply point out how much ticket prices have risen. we all know there is MUCH in the equation, sheesh! none the less...point still stands, i WISH my salary would skyrocket at the same rate. :D

Yup, exactly. I am just more conscious of how much I pay to see whom. My general rule of thumb is, esp. for "classic rock" acts like McCartney and the Stones, if I have seen them already, I don't see them again. Esp. for acts like that who I saw for under 50 bucks back in the day. F them. I don't need to see Clapton or Pink Floyd (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) again.

However, certain bands are worth the investment and get my money every time (Oasis, Dramarama, Allman Brothers, Santana). Obviously, PJ is one of them. So is Robert Plant. Of course, Led Zep will be another if I am lucky enough to get a ticket for their supposedly upcoming tour later this year or in early 2009.

And the rest of my hard-earned concert buck goes to see local bands in local venues where the ticket prices are $50 or less. AND...the promoters are getting wise to the tight economy and beginning to offer 2-for-1 deals (House of Blues does this all the time) and half-price tickets (I saw a show at BB King's Blues Club in NYC last night for which I paid $29 for a pair of tix, and the guy at the SAME cabaret table as me, for the SAME show, paid over $60 after TicketMonster fees. Boy was HE pissed when I told him that!).

By the way, I am a concert junkie...I am 42 with no encumbrances (i.e. no hubby or kids keeping me home or sapping my resources), and when they put me in my coffin, I'm going to be rocking in my box. This year, I am celebrating the 25th anniversary of my first concert (Bowie's Serious Moonlight Tour at MSG), so excuse my French, but I know what I'm f-ing talking about!

Moral of the story: spend your big concert bucks on the bands you really love, and spend the rest on bands you might really love someday but kind of like right now.

Peace.

Laura in NJ
    Laura in NJ
    4-17-1994 Paramount Theater, NYC
    6-20-1995 Red Rocks (Sponsored By No One tour)
    6-23-1998 Fiddler’s Green, CO
    7-09-2003 MSG NYC
    9-28-2004 Fleet Center, Boston (Vote For Change warmup)
    6-01-2006 & 6-03-2006 E. Rutherford, NJ
    6-25-2008 MSG NYC * 7-07-2008 EV NJPAC