Options

Earthlings

AbookamongstthemanyAbookamongstthemany Posts: 8,209
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
-Oscar Wilde
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    THCTHC Posts: 525

disturbing to say the least....so sad how irresponsible we have become. the spirit of life in all living things is divine yet how often do we act as God's raping and pillaging this spirit of life!
    “Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish can grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”
    -Big Fish
  • Options
    THC wrote:
    disturbing to say the least....so sad how irresponsible we have become. the spirit of life in all living things is divine yet how often do we act as God's raping and pillaging this spirit of life!

Thank you for taking the time to watch. :)
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Please describe what is in the video - I rarely open a link unless I have some idea of what its going to be.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    Please describe what is in the video - I rarely open a link unless I have some idea of what its going to be.

It's about cruelty to animals. It states what it's about and that discretion should be used when viewing before it actually starts.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    It's about cruelty to animals. It states what it's about and that discretion should be used when viewing before it actually starts.
    Thanks for the description ... I'm an animal lover and contribute to several animal charities, but I can't watch anything that depicts cruelty, it messes me up.

So I'm not going to watch, I'll just say that animals were not put on this earth for our amusement and we should treat them like coinhabitants of the planet and not like slaves or worse. :)
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    Thanks for the description ... I'm an animal lover and contribute to several animal charities, but I can't watch anything that depicts cruelty, it messes me up.

So I'm not going to watch, I'll just say that animals were not put on this earth for our amusement and we should treat them like coinhabitants of the planet and not like slaves or worse. :)

Yes, it was hard to watch but I made myself watch it. I think it really did change the way I will look at things forever. I mean, i knew what was going on, but this video was so thorough and didn't leave anything to imagination...which was incredibly hard to view but it needs to be out there. People need to realize the reality they are being sheltered from.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    that was the most horrific thing i've ever seen. it was hard to watch. i feel ashamed.
    you're a real hooker. im gonna slap you in public.
    ~Ron Burgundy
  • Options
    Yes, it was hard to watch but I made myself watch it. I think it really did change the way I will look at things forever. I mean, i knew what was going on, but this video was so thorough and didn't leave anything to imagination...which was incredibly hard to view but it needs to be out there. People need to realize the reality they are being sheltered from.
    I agree. I'm not suggesting that people not watch it, I hope no one took that message from my post. I strongly feel that people should know exactly what they're funding when they visit circuses (I did click on the link and saw an elephant, so I'm assuming that's the topic, apologies if I'm wrong). I've seen such videos before and they give me nightmares, so I don't watch them anymore, that's all.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    I agree. I'm not suggesting that people not watch it, I hope no one took that message from my post. I strongly feel that people should know exactly what they're funding when they visit circuses (I did click on the link and saw an elephant, so I'm assuming that's the topic, apologies if I'm wrong). I've seen such videos before and they give me nightmares, so I don't watch them anymore, that's all.

Oh, I know that's not what you were doing. :) The video is about everything from leather, pet ownership, factory farms to circuses and other cruel forms of entertainment. I haven't cried so hard in a couple of weeks...if it's not one thing it's another, so extremely hard to remain in good spirits when confronted with the world these days....but you have to live and enjoy your own life while still staying comitted to staying informed and aware....okay, I'm rambling. :)

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Oh, I know that's not what you were doing. :) The video is about everything from leather, pet ownership, factory farms to circuses and other cruel forms of entertainment. I haven't cried so hard in a couple of weeks...if it's not one thing it's another, so extremely hard to remain in good spirits when confronted with the world these days....but you have to live and enjoy your own life while still staying comitted to staying informed and aware....okay, I'm rambling. :)
    If there's anything I can't stand to see, it's cruelty towards children, elderly people, and animals ... all the helpless beings among us :(

If it were up to me, war supporters would have to watch uncut footage, circus-goers would have to watch behind-the-scenes tapes before gaining admittance, Walmart shoppers would have to talk to workers in China who toil seven days a week for $1 per hour, meat-eaters would have to watch a pig slaughter ... but it's not up to me, so they can keep forking over their money without knowing what they're paying for.

I know that YOU know what I meant :) I just didn't want the rest of the board thinking I was coming down on the side of ignorance.
  • Options
    MeatwagonMeatwagon Posts: 108
    Well I got as far as clothing, so I'll finish up after work. Thanks for letting us have a look. I have seen a few of these before, except for the ones on pigs and Dolphins. Disturbing how some of the people involved seemed to enjoy what they are doing. The pig farmers alone makes you sick.
    Axis of justice.com
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    THC wrote:
    ...so sad how irresponsible we have become.
    I really don't think we were once better.

There will be a breaking point.

We can't last forever.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    Watched if half way, will watch the other half tonight.

This will be on my mind for quite a while.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    I'm glad to see so many of you guys taking the time to watch this. I know it's not the easiest thing in the world to do. :)

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    I'm glad to see so many of you guys taking the time to watch this. I know it's not the easiest thing in the world to do. :)

I've watched some of it. It demonstrates that we are not interested in peace. We are not interested in each other. We have a lot of fixing of ourselves if we truly hope to survive together on this tiny planet.

When we talk about politics, we must stop pretending we care about stuff at this point - other than collecting as much as we can for ourselves.

we need a fix ourselves forum. but likely not too many would visit it.
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    I boycotted the "Circus" roughly 15 years ago.

This video is a very graphic and profound example of humans being. Tough, gut-wrenching viewing.

Respect and love for all living things and our beautiful planet, has been something I have been talking about for decades.

Sadly, very few listen:(

As I have said many times before, Human Beings have a lot of work to do and a long way to go; before we truely display all that "superiority" so many humans love to boast about. Superiority? I think not.

About eight years ago, there was a Circus up in New York state, just 30 minutes or so over New Jersey's most north-western border. I went to see (but did not pay a single penny) how they treated the elephants.

Some scum-bag was poking the elephants with one of those voltage sticks and I cursed the fucker. He cursed me back and told me to "get lost, you're disturbing the elephants":rolleyes: Yeah, I 'm disturbing them.

Certainly not the mega-volts he was poking into the elephants bodies.

Later that night, they had all the elephants chained-up outside of the "Big Tent", in a large roped-off (chains) area, all standing side-by-side.

I first stood in front of them (about ten feet way) for a long time and watched them rocking side-to-side (left feet....to right feet), and as they were doing this all six elephants were in constant physical contact with each other. While rocking they would touch and rub the sides of their bodies against each other, and their trunks were always touching the elephant next to them.

I then sat down on the ground and just watched them. I was in awe of these animals and the way they interacted and touched each other.

They are incredibly majestic animals and their profound need to always be in physical contact with their friends, moved me very deeply.

I had always suspected since I was a teenager that elephants had a high intellect and full emotional capacity. But that night surely solidified my beliefs.

Beautiful animals. Sad situation.

And no, I would never stand or sit in front of wild elephants or even go any where near them.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Depressing, but it gave me a new perspective on things that's for sure.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    MCG wrote:
    Depressing, but it gave me a new perspective on things that's for sure.

Yes...

I just don't know what to say.... damn.

We are meat-eaters, but we are aware of the cruelty they go through.

We need protein for our brains... I've tried NOT eating meat and it's hard.

I don't know what to say.....

We're also overpopulating animals...but since we are at "top of the chain", unfortunately, we do have the ability to control them. :(

Or so, we think..... it'll be payback time at one point.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    IamMine wrote:
    We're also overpopulating animals...but since we are at "top of the chain", unfortunately, we do have the ability to control them. :(

Waiting for the day all different species of animals unite to overthrow the human race? :) sounds like a good movie plot...
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    MeatwagonMeatwagon Posts: 108
    JaneNY wrote:
    It's a little more than just cruelty to animals. I would recommend watching it. I've already passed it on to a friend or 2. Thanks.
    Axis of justice.com
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 689
    IamMine wrote:
    Yes...

I just don't know what to say.... damn.

We are meat-eaters, but we are aware of the cruelty they go through.

We need protein for our brains... I've tried NOT eating meat and it's hard.

I don't know what to say.....

I used to think the same as you about not eating meat. I tried twice before I finally went vegetarian. It was hard at first, but now I couldn't imagine ever eating meat again. It was videos just like this that made me realize that a meat-based diet just supports so much cruelty (not to mention enviromental devastation) and I did not want to support it at all. I've since gone vegan which was actually really easy. And protein is still easy to get on a vegetarain or vegan diet. There's tons of meat replacements packed w/ protein. Soy milk has alot. As for un-processed foods try nuts, legumes, beans, and many vegetables. There's plenty of websites with this info.
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    unbeleivable.
  • Options
    MansMans Posts: 57
    So, it was 25 days ago that I decided to stop eating meat. It's something that I've always said I was gonna do "one day", and finally I just said to myself, JUST DO IT. So i said I would do it for 7 days and see how it went. After about 4 days I had my mind made up - never eating meat again. I really couldn't believe how easy it was. I watched this video last night, and now it seems to be the only thing I can think of. Thank-you so much for posting this. I always knew that kind of stuff was going on, but you never actually believe it until you see it. My goal is to eventually become vegan, which I'm working on. I strongly urge everyone to watch this, and give some serious thought as to what we've all been taking part in.

Peace
    It's On The Inside And I Can't Get It Off.
  • Options
    HoonHoon Posts: 175
    Mans wrote:
    So, it was 25 days ago that I decided to stop eating meat. It's something that I've always said I was gonna do "one day", and finally I just said to myself, JUST DO IT. So i said I would do it for 7 days and see how it went. After about 4 days I had my mind made up - never eating meat again. I really couldn't believe how easy it was. I watched this video last night, and now it seems to be the only thing I can think of. Thank-you so much for posting this. I always knew that kind of stuff was going on, but you never actually believe it until you see it. My goal is to eventually become vegan, which I'm working on. I strongly urge everyone to watch this, and give some serious thought as to what we've all been taking part in.

Peace

Congrats on your new diet, better health and clearer conscience. Once people learn about it they see how easy it is.

I hope to go veggie to vegan some time soon.

I love regular cheese and icecream so much....but I have some connections around here and someone is going to hook me up with the quality vegan versions.
    If you keep yourself as the final arbiter you will be less susceptible to infection from cultural illusion.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    I'd hate to offend anyone, but since when is eating meat unhealthy? And why exactly is it you want to become a vegan, you'll need to rely upon artificial nutrient sources, I wonder if that isn't a bit extreme and unhealthy?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    I'd hate to offend anyone, but since when is eating meat unhealthy? And why exactly is it you want to become a vegan, you'll need to rely upon artificial nutrient sources, I wonder if that isn't a bit extreme and unhealthy?

Great maybe you can help us out. What artificial nutrient sources will I need for my Vegan diet?
    If you keep yourself as the final arbiter you will be less susceptible to infection from cultural illusion.
  • Options
    MansMans Posts: 57
    Collin wrote:

No offense taken. I don't think eating meat is unhealthy, just a personal decision not to do it anymore. And, no, becomming vegan doesn't mean you have to rely on artificial nutrient sources. Well, not if you do it the proper way anyway. I'm still learning and hence doing a lot of research on how to do this the healthy way.
    It's On The Inside And I Can't Get It Off.
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 689
    Collin wrote:

Vegan/vegetarianism is incredibly healthy. The percentage of people overweight while vegetarian is something like 3%. It's much much higher for meat eaters. You get all the nutrients and protein you need with a balanced vegan diet. You do not need anything "artificial" it's just that fake-meat products now exist as many people grew up enjoying hamburgers, dairy-cheese, etc. Now they can have a veggie burger or soy or rice cheese as an alternative. Nothing about this is "artificial", it's just not meat based. Soy ice cream tastes amazing!! Try So Good butterscotch.
    A vegetarian diet provides you with all the nutrients you need with much less fat and cholesterol. And at the same time you are helping to stop animal cruelty and the massive enviromental costs associated with the meat industry.
    It's a win win!! Plus eating is just much more fun now.
    An amazing vegan recipe book is "How it all Vegan".
  • Options
    halv wrote:
    Vegan/vegetarianism is incredibly healthy. The percentage of people overweight while vegetarian is something like 3%. It's much much higher for meat eaters. You get all the nutrients and protein you need with a balanced vegan diet. You do not need anything "artificial" it's just that fake-meat products now exist as many people grew up enjoying hamburgers, dairy-cheese, etc. Now they can have a veggie burger or soy or rice cheese as an alternative. Nothing about this is "artificial", it's just not meat based. Soy ice cream tastes amazing!! Try So Good butterscotch.
    A vegetarian diet provides you with all the nutrients you need with much less fat and cholesterol. And at the same time you are helping to stop animal cruelty and the massive enviromental costs associated with the meat industry.
    It's a win win!! Plus eating is just much more fun now.
    An amazing vegan recipe book is "How it all Vegan".

I have the "Becoming Vegan" The complete guide to adopting a healthy plant based diet by Davis and Melina. They have a vegitarian version too. Great simple 280 page book. Lots of tables that break down each food so you can do the math and get everything you need.

My recipe book is "The complete Vegan Cookbook" by geiskopf and Toomay It has some good stuff in it.

The net has some Huge collections of good recipes too, you just have to find them.

I'll check "How it all Vegan" out. Is it the tops?
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    Being vegan/vegetarian doesn't necessarily mean healthier eating. I'm not sure where you got the 3% obesity rate for veggies, but just through personal observation, there seems to be a higher percentage than that. You have to be much more conscious of your diet if you cut out meats to ensure that you do get proper nutrients and vitamins that are now eliminated from your diet. I would indeed like to cut out meat from my diet, more for environmental reasons than for health reasons.

Minimally, and more realistically, (once we can afford it) we are going to move towards organic meats and free range meat sources and just try to cut back a bit in general. Not as a cop out, but with my super duper fast matabolism, it would probably be ill advised for me to cut meat out completely.

I'm actually downloading the movie and then will watch it and I'll comment more specifically on the documentary once its through. I don't ever agree with excessive violence or flagrant brutality, but the truth of the matter is that death is intrinsic to food production, even a vegetarian one. Wild animals don't typically have nice peaceful deaths either, but I do disagree with placing unnecessary pain/distress to animals.