Big Pharma's Secret History

1235»

Comments

• oh i can laugh at jokes at my expense, but i got the feeling he wasnt joking and was referring to something specific and am kinda curious what it is. i dont recall saying anything like that. but then, i did have a bad habit of posting while drunk a few years ago... anyway, neither here nor there. we're talking about drugs, my other illicit vice!

It's not important. I asked him to edit it because we're not here to discuss each other...we are here to debate and share info.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I don't care where the piece came from. It brought up some good points that I agreed with. I wasn't digging for stuff to post about big pharma, I just happened upon this, learned some things I didn't know and liked many of the points he brought up so I posted it. If you want to argue the points addressed, cool. But arguing about where the piece came from instead of disproving the content makes your arguement look weak, imo. I never said this was a definitive study of anything...it was clearly an opinion piece and we share those here from time to time.

fair enough. however, a HUGE part of the points made in an argument is the source's credibility. the fact that the guy is clearly pushing a product and has no sources for his wild accusations weakens HIS argument. thus why i have a healthy skepticism for what he's saying. while i have no love for the pharma companies, there are a lot of reasons for that and i dont think his little diatribe had anything to do with any of them. before i am compelled to disprove his statements, he has to prove they are worth considering. and joe bodybuilder saying "pharmas are bad for you, take my creatin, it's all natural!" does not prove anything worth considering.
  • VrJxSVrJxS Posts: 115
    Soulsinging is right. This guy cites ZERO sources for information with holes so big you could drive a truck through them. If I were going to point them out again, I'd be typing all day. Lets just say that anyone with a basic knowlede of clinical pharmacology would have a field day ripping this piece apart point by point.

Another misconception that seems to be prevelant in America is that if a company claims an ingregient is "natural" it must be a safe product.
    NOT TRUE.
  • THCTHC Posts: 525
    Big Pharmacuticals pay 75% of the FDA payroll....

we think we are being protected...and that legal 'drugs' are much diff. then 'illegal' ones...but sadly...they are just as dangerous in many cases.
    “Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish can grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”
    -Big Fish
    THC wrote:
    Big Pharmacuticals pay 75% of the FDA payroll....

we think we are being protected...and that legal 'drugs' are much diff. then 'illegal' ones...but sadly...they are just as dangerous in many cases.

I'll concede that the FDA is not perfect, during the Clinton and GW Bush administrations they have approved almost everything that comes their way. But ultimately, they are there to protect the consumer/patient. Also Dr. Sidney Wolfe and Public Citizen have been doing a great job playing watchdog to the FDA lately to help keep them in check.

You are right, prescription drugs in many cases are just as dangerous as illegal ones, but there is one HUGE difference. Prescription drugs are used under the supervision of a physician and other health care professionals.

*edit* btw, where did you get the statistic that 75% of FDA payroll is paid by pharmaceutical industry? just curious.
  • fair enough. however, a HUGE part of the points made in an argument is the source's credibility. the fact that the guy is clearly pushing a product and has no sources for his wild accusations weakens HIS argument. thus why i have a healthy skepticism for what he's saying. while i have no love for the pharma companies, there are a lot of reasons for that and i dont think his little diatribe had anything to do with any of them. before i am compelled to disprove his statements, he has to prove they are worth considering. and joe bodybuilder saying "pharmas are bad for you, take my creatin, it's all natural!" does not prove anything worth considering.

True, if someone has an ulterior motive then it takes away from his credibility. He brought up interesting facts and history that I didn't know about before. So I posted it to share those and discuss. I think most of us here are all smart enough enough to draw our own conclusions without relying on someone else to tell us what to think. So when I post opinion pieces I fully expect everyone to take what they will out of it and disregard the rest.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    VrJxS wrote:
    I'll concede that the FDA is not perfect, during the Clinton and GW Bush administrations they have approved almost everything that comes their way.

unless it makes it easier for people to have sex, like the morning after pill... that won't be approved until hell freezes over!
    unless it makes it easier for people to have sex, like the morning after pill... that won't be approved until hell freezes over!

That's been on the market for a while - it's even ***OTC*** here in Maine, and several other states too I believe. Just have to ask the pharmacist for it, no rx needed.