Options

My stance on the death penalty...

Vedderlution_BabyVedderlution_Baby Posts: 2,545
edited November 2006 in A Moving Train
As of Wednesday November 8th, 2006 my stance on the issue has changed. I'm against it. Just wanted to get that out there.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hsewifhsewif Posts: 444
    As of Wednesday November 8th, 2006 my stance on the issue has changed. I'm against it. Just wanted to get that out there.

and you were for it yesterday?

why the change? that's quite a flip-flop.
  • Options
    Well, I've been rethinking my position but this is the first time I've declared that I'm against it.

First off, it doesn't work at all. Being killed hasn't defered people away from crime.

Second, it's too...final and unforgiving. If an innocent person is put into prison, even though it was fucked up that they were convicted in the first place, they have a chance of getting out witht the discovery of new evidence. If someone is killed and then found to be innocent, well, what the fuck are you supposed to do? "OOPS!"

Thirdly, I can't get past how hypocritcal it is.
    "Killing is bad! You have been convicted of murder!"
    "What's my punishment"
    "Uh...well...we're going to kill y..ou"
  • Options
    Well, I've been rethinking my position but this is the first time I've declared that I'm against it.

First off, it doesn't work at all. Being killed hasn't defered people away from crime.

Second, it's too...final and unforgiving. If an innocent person is put into prison, even though it was fucked up that they were convicted in the first place, they have a chance of getting out witht the discovery of new evidence. If someone is killed and then found to be innocent, well, what the fuck are you supposed to do? "OOPS!"

Thirdly, I can't get past how hypocritcal it is.
    "Killing is bad! You have been convicted of murder!"
    "What's my punishment"
    "Uh...well...we're going to kill y..ou"

Im torn on this subject, though I lean more being against it...
    Sometimes I see cases that make me feel like that person needs to die...

But like you I ponder about the same things, first do we have the right to kill someone because they killed, aren't we depriving someone of their life as well ? though its allright because we did it in the name of justice?
    And the other and scariest point, what if the person is not guilty?, what if Damon Echols for example gets executed and 3 years later they realize 'Oh I guess those who opposed the sentence were right, he was innocent" what do we do then? bring him back from the dead? Cant.

There are many cases that get murder convictions based on circumstancial evidence, and I think that putting someone to die that claims is innocent is way to much of a risk to take.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    Im torn on this subject, though I lean more being against it...
    Sometimes I see cases that make me feel like that person needs to die...

But like you I ponder about the same things, first do we have the right to kill someone because they killed, aren't we depriving someone of their life as well ? though its allright because we did it in the name of justice?
    And the other and scariest point, what if the person is not guilty?, what if Damon Echols for example gets executed and 3 years later they realize 'Oh I guess those who opposed the sentence were right, he was innocent" what do we do then? bring him back from the dead? Cant.

There are many cases that get murder convictions based on circumstancial evidence, and I think that putting someone to die that claims is innocent is way to much of a risk to take.

What's going to be hardest for me is not allowing my emotions to become involved
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    not to mention that the cost are so much more for death penalty cases than for life in prison.

The Financial Costs of the Death Penalty

Death penalty cases are much more expensive than other criminal cases and cost more than imprisonment for life with no possibility of parole. In California, capital trials are six times more costly than other murder trials.(1) A study in Kansas indicated that a capital trial costs $116,700 more than an ordinary murder trial.(2) Complex pre-trial motions, lengthy jury selections, and expenses for expert witnesses are all likely to add to the costs in death penalty cases. The irreversibility of the death sentence requires courts to follow heightened due process in the preparation and course of the trial. The separate sentencing phase of the trial can take even longer than the guilt or innocence phase of the trial. And defendants are much more likely to insist on a trial when they are facing a possible death sentence. After conviction, there are constitutionally mandated appeals which involve both prosecution and defense costs.

Most of these costs occur in every case for which capital punishment is sought, regardless of the outcome. Thus, the true cost of the death penalty includes all the added expenses of the "unsuccessful" trials in which the death penalty is sought but not achieved. Moreover, if a defendant is convicted but not given the death sentence, the state will still incur the costs of life imprisonment, in addition to the increased trial expenses.

For the states which employ the death penalty, this luxury comes at a high price. In Texas, a death penalty case costs taxpayers an average of $2.3 million, about three times the cost of imprisoning someone in a single cell at the highest security level for 40 years.(3) In Florida, each execution is costing the state $3.2 million.(4) In financially strapped California, one report estimated that the state could save $90 million each year by abolishing capital punishment.(5) The New York Department of Correctional Services estimated that implementing the death penalty would cost the state about $118 million annually.(6)

from http://www.fnsa.org/v1n1/dieter1.html
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    You changed your mind about the death penalty because one of the most caring and admirable leaders the world has ever known, Saddam Hussien, was sentenced to hang over the weekend.

I'm sure if someday down the road Bush is sentenced to the same fate you will surely see the morality of it all.
    "Sarcasm: intellect on the offensive"

"What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact."

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    You changed your mind about the death penalty because one of the most caring and admirable leaders the world has ever known, Saddam Hussien, was sentenced to hang over the weekend.

I'm sure if someday down the road Bush is sentenced to the same fate you will surely see the morality of it all.

How about you stop jumping to conclusions jackass.
  • Options
    How about you stop jumping to conclusions jackass.

Well see.. I've invented this new game. It's called the "Jump to Conclusions" game.

You see, you have a mat, and it’s got some conclusions written on it, and you back up next to the mat, and think about a question, and then you jump to a conclusion. Right there on the mat, you jump to a conclusion…

I think I won?

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    Well see.. I've invented this new game. It's called the "Jump to Conclusions" game.

You see, you have a mat, and it’s got some conclusions written on it, and you back up next to the mat, and think about a question, and then you jump to a conclusion. Right there on the mat, you jump to a conclusion…

I think I won?

ahhhhhh!!!! Office Space! :D my favorite movie of all time!
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options

I think I won?

That is pretty funny.

Sorry about the jackass comment.

But I've been grappling with this for awhile now, long before assface was sentenced to hang. And no, if bush was convicted, I would not support his death.
  • Options
    ahhhhhh!!!! Office Space! :D my favorite movie of all time!

I'm glad someone clung to that! :D

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    I'm more of an eye for an eye kind of person.

If you take someone's life, in my opinion, you default on your own life.

Since most liberals don't believe in God I would think they would have no sense of understanding that the judicial system may be playing God. Factually it wouldn't make sense. That may not make sense to some of you, but it does to me.

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    I like to think I am against the death penalty but I am sure if someone killed someone on purpose that I loved I would be having second thoughts. That's where my big flip flop might be. It is easy for me to sit here and say I am against the death penalty, but who knows, if the shit hit the fan,...
  • Options
    I like to think I am against the death penalty but I am sure if someone killed someone on purpose that I loved I would be having second thoughts. That's where my big flip flop might be. It is easy for me to sit here and say I am against the death penalty, but who knows, if the shit hit the fan,...

Maybe this very statement sheds some light on ones thought about abortion? No?

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    EbizzieEbizzie Posts: 240
    I want to see individuals convicted of violent crimes sentenced to hard labor for the rest of their lives....I'm talking like 16 hours per day performing HARD labor. They get no free time outside of sleeping hours and their meals should contain nothing but the absolute cheapest, nastiest ingredients the cooks can find. I like that much better than giving someone the easy way out, a lethal injection that softly numbs their pain and puts them to sleep forever.

But being the bleeding hearts don't believe in and won't allow a strict labor punishment, the death penalty will have to do.
    "Worse than traitors in arms are the men who pretend loyalty to the flag, feast and fatten on the misfortunes of the nation while patriotic blood is crimsoning the plains." -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Ebizzie wrote:
    I want to see individuals convicted of violent crimes sentenced to hard labor for the rest of their lives....I'm talking like 16 hours per day performing HARD labor. They get no free time outside of sleeping hours and their meals should contain nothing but the absolute cheapest, nastiest ingredients the cooks can find. I like that much better than giving someone the easy way out, a lethal injection that softly numbs their pain and puts them to sleep forever.

But being the bleeding hearts don't believe in and won't allow a strict labor punishment, the death penalty will have to do.

My God! That's almost as dispicable as having to listen to the Red Hot Chili Peppers at a high volume!

You make me sick!

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    Maybe this very statement sheds some light on ones thought about abortion? No?

Of course, that's why there is so much debate about these issues. They are tricky.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208

Since most liberals don't believe in God I would think they would have no sense of understanding that the judicial system may be playing God. Factually it wouldn't make sense. That may not make sense to some of you, but it does to me.

doesn't jesus specifically say that people should not be playing god? to an extent it's necessary... but capital punishment is going unnecessarily far when it is just as easy (and cheaper) to lock them up in prison forever.

plus, how dyou think jesus feels about capital punishment after that whole crucifixion thing?
  • Options
    doesn't jesus specifically say that people should not be playing god? to an extent it's necessary... but capital punishment is going unnecessarily far when it is just as easy (and cheaper) to lock them up in prison forever.

plus, how dyou think jesus feels about capital punishment after that whole crucifixion thing?

I'm not sure. I'm not religious. But thanks for lumping me in with the rest of those "nut jobs".....

Whoa wait! It's cheaper to house an inmate for life than it is to eliminate them?

Whoa whoa whoa! What!?

You have just nullified your right to debate national debt and taxes!

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    I'm not sure. I'm not religious. But thanks for lumping me in with the rest of those "nut jobs".....

Whoa wait! It's cheaper to house an inmate for life than it is to eliminate them?

Whoa whoa whoa! What!?

You have just nullified your right to debate national debt and taxes!

do you not read? do you have any idea how much it costs to execute somebody? after the extensive appeals process, multiple trials, courts costs, fees, judicial reviews... read prism's post. i know reading is hard for you. but try it just once. it costs a LOT more to execute somebody than it does to jail them for life. a LOT. from the end of the trial to the time of execution can take a decade or more in many cases. that's 10 years of filing appeals, motions, etc, you paying for the defendant's attorney and the prosecutor, the judge, court reporter, funding the defendant's inane studies to "prove" they couldn't have done it. it costs a fortune.

you've lost your right to debate any topic that requires basic reading comprehension or critical analysis.
  • Options
    do you not read? do you have any idea how much it costs to execute somebody? after the extensive appeals process, multiple trials, courts costs, fees, judicial reviews... read prism's post. i know reading is hard for you. but try it just once. it costs a LOT more to execute somebody than it does to jail them for life. a LOT. from the end of the trial to the time of execution can take a decade or more in many cases. that's 10 years of filing appeals, motions, etc, you paying for the defendant's attorney and the prosecutor, the judge, court reporter, funding the defendant's inane studies to "prove" they couldn't have done it. it costs a fortune.

you are an idiot. an uneducated one at that. and you've lost your right to debate any topic that requires intelligence or basic reading comprehension.

That's pure liberal non-sense. Sure, that's obviously the case if you're including cost the taxpayer burdens paying the salaries of the judges, prosecutors, public defenders, court officials for 'abnormaly long cases' inwhich the death penalty is being persued. The justice process has nothing to do with housing a criminal for life nor does it have anything to do with the cost of putting one to death after conviction. Once that part of any case is over, the remaining cost to house a criminal behind bars far outweighs that of someone put to death.

lol An idiot. Thanks. Always with the name-calling.

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    That's pure liberal non-sense. Sure, that's obviously the case if you're including cost the taxpayer burdens paying the salaries of the judges, prosecutors, public defenders, court officials for abnormaly long cases inwhich the death penalty is being persued. The justice process has nothing to do with housing a criminal for life nor does it have anything to do with the cost of putting one to death after conviction. Once that part of any case is over, the remaining cost to house a criminal behind bars far outweighs that of someone put to death.

lol An idiot. Thanks. Always with the name-calling.

you have studies for this? what am i thinking, of course not. you dont let facts get in the way of your views... you've got your beliefs and no amount of reality can shake that...

you cannot separate the cost of appeal from the cost of imprisonment. it's hundreds of man hours. it means we have to hire more judges and prosecutors... two when we could just have one. you have cops who, instead of protecting us, are being paid to testify and defend every minutae of their evidence collection. that's less men on the streets and more tied u in bureacracy. you have public defenders spending ten years defending scumbags... meaning another public defender has to be hired to take on the other cases. this whole time you're paying to jail this guy. you're adding to the cost of jailing by having to constntly shuttle him back and forth to court, which is not cheap and a drain on manpower (it takes 2 guards out of the prison to transport one prisoner to court). it's an expensive process.

are you telling me, as a fiscal conservative, you'd rather spend twice as much of the taxpayer's dollars trying to execute someone than just lock them up for a fraction of the price? YOU'RE not allowed to claim to be fiscally conservative.
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073

First off most liberals DO believe in God. I don't ;) (maybe maybe no) but most do.

Second I agree 100% with eye for an eye. One who kills in cold blood deserves death. I stray from my fellow-libs on that.

HOWEVER, I am against the death penalty for one reason: Going eye for eye on the biggest scumbags on the earth is not worth killing one innocent person. Fear of killing an innocent person is a good enough reason for me to be against it. I am sure it's a tough pill to swallow to be let out of prison after 10 years for a crime you did not commit, but it beats being executed for it...
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    As for the costs, it is generally believed that by the time you put someone to death more money will be spent than paying for that person to live the rest of their life in prison.

Though there are conflicting views...

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=108&scid=7

http://www.deathpenalty.org/index.php?pid=cost&menu=1%22

http://www.wesleylowe.com/cp.html

http://www.prodeathpenalty.com/DP.html
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    I look at this issue purely post-conviction. And I mean post-conviction as in final word. 5 minutes is not more expensive than 50 years.

There is no price in obtaining justice in my opinion. Consequently I do not choose to lump those cost incurred during the court process into the equation.

And I certainly will not use it as a tool to defend abolishing the capital punishment.

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    I look at this issue purely post-conviction. And I mean post-conviction as in final word. 5 minutes is not more expensive than 50 years.

There is no price in obtaining justice in my opinion. Consequently I do not choose to lump those cost incurred during the court process into the equation.

And I certainly will not use it as a tool to defend abolishing the capital punishment.

that's ridiculous. you know when somebody is convicted? after the first trial. then there are years of appeals. this person is already convicted. do you understand anything about how the american justice system works?
  • Options
    that's ridiculous. you know when somebody is convicted? after the first trial. then there are years of appeals. this person is already convicted. do you understand anything about how the american justice system works?

"Final word." As in no more appeals. Like? You know? Seperation of the court process and penalty serving process?

And again, I do not lump the court processes in with the penalty serving process when dealing with putting a criminal to death or paying for the housing of one. You're still not understanding me. I don't even care about the courts here.

A 3-drug mixture introduced into a syringe including sodium pentothal, pancuronium bromide, and potassium chloride does not equal the cost of 50 years of maintaining a criminal in the prison system.

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    "Final word." As in no more appeals. Like? You know? Seperation of the court process and penalty serving process?

And again, I do not lump the court processes in with the penalty serving process when dealing with putting a criminal to death or paying for the housing of one. You're still not understanding me. I don't even care about the courts here.

A 3-drug mixture introduced into a syringe including sodium pentothal, pancuronium bromide, and potassium chloride does not equal the cost of 50 years of maintaining a criminal in the prison system.
    Are you a congressman? Your accounting methods lead me to believe that you just might be! That's what they do ... "Oh dear, this number is fucking everything up, what can we do? I know! We'll just take it out of the budget! It's separate, not a part of the budget, so it doesn't count! The numbers line up just swell now! Gee whiz, that was easy!"

You can count it or not count it, doesn't matter .... it's still money that is spent every time we execute someone.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    That money is spent reguardless of wether it is a capital case or not.

There is no question that the up front costs of the death penalty are significantly higher than for equivalent life term cases. But there's also no question that, over time, equivalent life term cases are much more expensive. It's as if you only wish to discuss the costs incurred during trials but completely ignore what it costs to house an inmate for a life term.

What matters ultimately is the sentencing process. That is a part of the justice cycle. You can not run from those cost.

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    That money is spent reguardless of wether it is a capital case or not.
    Ok, so soulsinging was right ... you don't know how the justice system works.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963