Options

Religion has caused more

Comments

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    El_Kabong wrote:
    i didn't choose to ignore it perse...my last reply was on the 4th page...then i came back and it was at around 10 pages and i didn't feel like going thru 6 whole pages...

okey doke. just seemd odd to me, that you'd make the same point twice when asked/answered already. thank you for clarifying in any case. and sure, i still stand by my phrasing. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    i highly doubt that egyptians were monotheistic - what with gods like Isis, Ra, Osiris and others.
    and zorastrianism started from about 1200 bc. and here's what its infleunce has been like.

You highly doubt wrong my freind. Read on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akhenaten

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1591430046/qid=1152436838/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/102-9536585-7288969?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

I was mistaken about the date of his reign. Seems he was born in either 1379 BC or 1362 BC, almost a thousand years before the emergence of Zoroatrianism.

"The idea of Akhenaten as the pioneer of a monotheistic religion that later became Judaism was promoted by Sigmund Freud, the founder of psychoanalysis, in his book Moses and Monotheism and thereby entered popular consciousness. Freud argued that Moses had been an Atenist priest forced to leave Egypt with his followers after Akhenaten's death...More recently, Ahmed Osman has even claimed that Moses and Akhenaten were the same person,[9] supporting his belief by interpreting aspects of biblical and Egyptian history. Apart from the most obvious correlation, both forms of monotheism arising in a geographically close proximity, there are alleged to be others, including a ban on idol worship and the similarity of the name Aten to the Hebrew Adon, or "Lord". This would mesh with Osman's other claim that Akhenaten's maternal grandfather Yuya was the same person as the Biblical Joseph."
  • Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    cornnifer wrote:
    You're going to have to give me an example. ONE example of ONE core teaching of ANY religion. Please. SOMEBODY. Or let this thread die a quiet death.

When did I say that the core teachings of any religion incited murder (Although the violent language and imagery of the bible bears pause for thought)? Just because the core teachings of a religion do not explicitly tell one to murder does not mean that said religion is peaceful. You have to take into account what is done in the name of that religion and what has been ordered and pepuated by leaders and members of that religion.
    One definition of religion; A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
    Another;An institution to express belief in a divine power.

PEACE
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
    Byrnzie wrote:
    You highly doubt wrong my freind. Read on:

"The idea of Akhenaten as the pioneer of a monotheistic religion that later became Judaism was promoted by Sigmund Freud, the founder of psychoanalysis, in his book Moses and Monotheism and thereby entered popular consciousness. Freud argued that Moses had been an Atenist priest forced to leave Egypt with his followers after Akhenaten's death...More recently, Ahmed Osman has even claimed that Moses and Akhenaten were the same person,[9] supporting his belief by interpreting aspects of biblical and Egyptian history. Apart from the most obvious correlation, both forms of monotheism arising in a geographically close proximity, there are alleged to be others, including a ban on idol worship and the similarity of the name Aten to the Hebrew Adon, or "Lord". This would mesh with Osman's other claim that Akhenaten's maternal grandfather Yuya was the same person as the Biblical Joseph."

hmm... ideas, claims and suppositions... where is it supported by historical evidence and ancient records??

in any case, pre exilic judaism may well have sprung from Aten or any other source, but there is no doubt that post exilic (the "exile" in question being the babyonian captivity) judaism, and thus judaism as it has survived today, was infleunced by the religion of the Phareesees.
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    Binaural wrote:
    When did I say that the core teachings of any religion incited murder (Although the violent language and imagery of the bible bears pause for thought)? Just because the core teachings of a religion do not explicitly tell one to murder does not mean that said religion is peaceful. You have to take into account what is done in the name of that religion and what has been ordered and pepuated by leaders and members of that religion.
    Again, what you are saying here again points to the humans, who in their arrogance, distorted the actual ideals of the religions. Which, even the "believers" in this thread agree 100% to. Humans are imperfect, and have done many ugly things. The ideals that have been distorted are not the problem.

I do realise you originally responded to this: "If you follow religion you are strictly told not to kill anyone..." I can see that one could think this is an unrealistic assertion, considering the killing that has been done in the name of religion. Someone who is a "believer" such as myself would interpret it differently, as I recognise it's not the spiritual truths of religions that incite murder, war, etc, it's humans who justified killing war and other atrocities in the name of religion.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    Again, what you are saying here again points to the humans, who in their arrogance, distorted the actual ideals of the religions. Which, even the "believers" in this thread agree 100% to. Humans are imperfect, and have done many ugly things. The ideals that have been distorted are not the problem.

I do realise you originally responded to this: "If you follow religion you are strictly told not to kill anyone..." I can see that one could think this is an unrealistic assertion, considering the killing that has been done in the name of religion. Someone who is a "believer" such as myself would interpret it differently, as I recognise it's not the spiritual truths of religions that incite murder, war, etc, it's humans who justified killing war and other atrocities in the name of religion.

If humans are killing to the extent they are, maybe religon isn't the best thing for humans to engage in. Just a thought. It seems like the most deadly weapon of mass destruction known to man. But who knows, perhaps we would just find another justification to replace it anyway.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    angelica wrote:

Firstly, you have to differentiate between religion and faith. Faith being a set of ideals and beliefs and religion being an institution, a man made one at that. At no point have I attacked faith. Faith is fine, it doesn't mean it's right, but hey it can't do any real harm. The problems come when a rigid institution is created which aims to regulate beliefs, namely religion. Again what is important here is differentiation.

PEACE
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    I know--You accept the free choice that is aligned with your values about religion-inheritance, you do not accept free choice that is not aligned with your values re: inheriting religion.
    i do.

what i dont agree with is the PEOPLE WHO TRY TO CHANGE OTHER PEOPLE to their religion.

ie. i am not opposed to conversion. i am opposed to proselytising.

i couldnt have made it any clearer.

Like I say, you are opposed to people choosing when it's not aligned with your values. For example for the millions and their offspring who have been induced by missionaries, you degrade their choices by minimising the validity of their spiritual beliefs they hold now, because, according to you, they are not their original "ethnic" beliefs. It seems as though the obvious resentment you harbour towards missionaries blinds you to the power and potency of the indivudual's choice when faced with persuasion or inducement. I'm bombarded with advertising, persuasion and inducement in each day, and in each moment when faced with that inducement, I still make my own choices and no one else makes them for me. What about people who are induced by their family religion regularly, say, in church from birth throughout childhood, and still leave that religion? They can choose beyond the inducement they have been bombarded with since birth.

"inducement: Something that helps bring about an action or a desired result"--this does not sound heinous or criminal to me at all.

Using a word like "hogwashed", alone, is a derogatory way to refer to the individual's valid decision making process. By your own words "most of them have already done the same mistake" --referring to those who have exercised their will to choose and who moved on from their ancestral religion. It looks like you believe that if others don't follow your belief system, and decide to change religions when they have been convinced (induced) it's in their best interests, that you give yourself license to put such choices down (hogwash, hogwashed) because of your hatred of missionaries.

"try as a girraf might, he don't become an elephant"

I disagree with your giraffe/elephant analogy, because it's not accurate in this situation. A giraffe cannot become an elephant. One human being can legitimately change their beliefs at any given time, becoming a human being with a different belief system. Not only is it possible, it's fully appropriate and the effects can only be truly fully gauged by the person who has done the conversion--if they are not comfortable with the change, they can change back or change again to what suits them--as in evolution. When they don't, they show commitment to the new way for whatever reason. With natural evolution, people will stick with what works for them and they will let go of what is not working for them.

When I refer to "natural evolution", I mean NATURAL. humankind is natural, and all of humankind's actions/choices are 100% part of nature. To me, I cannot remove any of such actions from nature. To believe humans are outside of nature and can act outside of natural law is again, imo, human arrogance.
    ie.try as a girraf might, he dont become an elephant. he is free to try though, or in the case of proselytised conversion, free to fall for the carrots the missionaries dangle.
    i just said and continue to say that people are not organically related to any other religion apart from the one that comes from his or her ethnicity. and i stand by it.
    most of them have already done the same mistake (eg - most of the germanic people on this board are clready christian forgetting asatru, the irish are already christian forgetting wicca/druidism and all thats irish etc) and taken to a belief system to which they are in no way organically connected.
    they can choose to believe in what ever they like, or get induced to believe, but they cant run away from their ethnicity, as much as a horse cant become an elephant just because he wants to/was induced to.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

• Options
    If humans are killing to the extent they are, maybe religon isn't the best thing for humans to engage in. Just a thought.
    There are many valid views, and ultimately, we'll each choose the one that works for us. And we'll each have our own judgments about what would make the world a better place. That's great for us, and unfortunately (or fortunately??) it's impossible to truly force our own beliefs of any sort on others--whether it be for religion or against religion.
    It seems like the most deadly weapon of mass destruction known to man. But who knows, perhaps we would just find another justification to replace it anyway.
    I wonder what people would come up with if we asked ourselves: if religion disappeared tomorrow, would we suddenly know how to solve our problems peacefully? Would we suddenly know how to solve our disagreements fairly? Would we understand that it's not okay to try to force anything on anyone? Because we turn our backs to religion en masse, would it mean suddenly there would be no greed, or war, or separation? Would a lack of religion make George Bush a better man? Would he suddenly develop insight and foresight and understand the true consequences of his actions?

• Options
    Binaural wrote:
    Firstly, you have to differentiate between religion and faith. Faith being a set of ideals and beliefs and religion being an institution, a man made one at that. At no point have I attacked faith. Faith is fine, it doesn't mean it's right, but hey it can't do any real harm. The problems come when a rigid institution is created which aims to regulate beliefs, namely religion. Again what is important here is differentiation.

PEACE
    I see it a little bit differently. The word faith has different connotations to people, and as you used it--it can be seen as pertaining to something that may be real or not. I'm talking about ideals, and Knowings and knowledge, not just beliefs and faith. For example, having had numerous spiritual experiences, I have experiential Knowledge of such understanding, rather than a "faith" in a leader, or the "word" etc.

I see that the manmade structures meant to help us achieve such "knowing" personally includes distortion along with the ideal. With the potential for anything to be taken well or poorly in each moment (good/evil??) the potential for ugliness is in everthing. Having experienced spiritual truths firsthand, I can fully understand how through the ages, individuals have sought to shine spiritual light into their surroundings. At the same time, it's also clear that others have sought power and control and have brought uglier consequences into being.

• Options
    angelica wrote:
    There are many valid views, and ultimately, we'll each choose the one that works for us. And we'll each have our own judgments about what would make the world a better place. That's great for us, and unfortunately (or fortunately??) it's impossible to truly force our own beliefs of any sort on others--whether it be for religion or against religion.

I wonder what people would come up with if we asked ourselves: if religion disappeared tomorrow, would we suddenly know how to solve our problems peacefully? Would we suddenly know how to solve our disagreements fairly? Would we understand that it's not okay to try to force anything on anyone? Because we turn our backs to religion en masse, would it mean suddenly there would be no greed, or war, or separation? Would a lack of religion make George Bush a better man? Would he suddenly develop insight and foresight and understand the true consequences of his actions?

I understand that it is wrong and impossible to force our own beliefs on other people, that's why I said 'just a thought'.

I'm not sure how much would change if religon became nonexistant. It seems like so many feel the need to be right and have others believe in their god for their own salvation's sake.They are told to spread the word of their god and some go to great extent to convert others. They view others as wrong and sometimes bad for having a different faith or no faith at all, they condemn them. They sometimes get extremely frustrated/irratated when others say they don't agree with their belief. They judge according to these rules and therefore create enemies and conflicts. It's possible that these conflicts wouldn't exist without religon. That way no one would be wrong because another person's god says so. Maybe people would just accept each other for what they are and embrace their diversity much more often. Who knows.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    I understand that it is wrong and impossible to force our own beliefs on other people, that's why I said 'just a thought'.
    I did realise you were sharing your view and that you are totally entitled to what you see. What I meant is that I truly believe I see ways we could all change and put ourselves on "the right" course, but ultimately, I'm bound by respect to live and let live. I was already fairly sure you would believe the same thing, too.
    I'm not sure how much would change if religon became nonexistant. It seems like so many feel the need to be right and have others believe in their god for their own salvation's sake.They are told to spread the word of their god and some go to great extent to convert others. They view others as wrong and sometimes bad for having a different faith or no faith at all, they condemn them. They sometimes get extremely frustrated/irratated when others say they don't agree with their belief. They judge according to these rules and therefore create enemies and conflicts.
    I totally agree.
    It's possible that these conflicts wouldn't exist without religon. That way no one would be wrong because another person's god says so. Maybe people would just accept each other for what they are and embrace their diversity much more often. Who knows.
    It's possible.

I have numerous atheists in my family. These people contributed to my having mental illness for years by continually invalidating my experience as "wrong" because I had spiritual experiences that they believed were "false". Oh, and they also invalidated my sexual assault experiences, among many others. It was because they wanted to protect their own view of the world--their agendas. My experiences with them were devastating, given my own personal experiences, and probably similar to what many people have had with religion looking down upon them and judging them. I understand both sides of the issue.

• Options
    barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    If humans are killing to the extent they are, maybe religon isn't the best thing for humans to engage in. Just a thought. It seems like the most deadly weapon of mass destruction known to man. But who knows, perhaps we would just find another justification to replace it anyway.

Angelica answered this a bit more eloquently, but simply put, if there weren't religions, the ignorant would do something else ignorantly.

Edited for typos
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    baraka wrote:
    ... if there weren’t religions, the ignorant would do something else ignorantly.
    I'd say this is pretty eloquent.

• Options
    angelica wrote:
    I'd say this is pretty eloquent.

Thanks angelica. I'm not very articulate in the mornings before my coffee. I had to edit that one statement for typos.;)
    ~Daniel Boorstin

~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    I did realise you were sharing your view and that you are totally entitled to what you see. What I meant is that I truly believe I see ways we could all change and put ourselves on "the right" course, but ultimately, I'm bound by respect to live and let live. I was already fairly sure you would believe the same thing, too.

I totally agree.

It's possible.

I have numerous atheists in my family. These people contributed to my having mental illness for years by continually invalidating my experience as "wrong" because I had spiritual experiences that they believed were "false". Oh, and they also invalidated my sexual assault experiences, among many others. It was because they wanted to protect their own view of the world--their agendas. My experiences with them were devastating, given my own personal experiences, and probably similar to what many people have had with religion looking down upon them and judging them. I understand both sides of the issue.

Yes, I believe people should have the choice to have religon or not have it in their life. I was just wondering what possibilities would exist in the absense of these beliefs...if people made up their own minds about living instead of following certain gospels.

I don't think it was atheism causing your problem but more of the people forcing their beliefs on you...just the same as some religous people do. If there was no religon then the conflict you encountered with these people may have not existed, who knows. But I don't see many people dying due to the spreading of atheism...for the most part these people don't go around trying to push their beliefs. They may defend it and even argue about it once confronted but they don't have a text telling them they need to spread the word of atheism.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    baraka wrote:
    Angelica answered this a bit more eloquently, but simply put, if there weren't religions, the ignorant would do something else ignorantly.

Edited for typos

Perhaps. I wonder what they would use instead of the fear of one's afterlife to get such a large base to follow and get behind them?

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    I don't think it was atheism causing your problem but more of the people forcing their beliefs on you...just the same as some religous people do.
    Exactly. It's the arrogance/intolerance. I see it as going both ways and as the problem. Not religion/lack thereof.
    If there was no religon then the conflict you encountered with these people may have not existed, who knows.
    In my view, the arrogance that what they understood was "real" and that what I understood was "not real" seemed to really have little to do with much, besides human arrogance, intolerant and the minimisation of a view they could not personally fathom.
    But I don't see many people dying due to the spreading of atheism
    I also don't see people dying because of the spread of religion. Do you believe God tells George Bush to bring about the deaths of thousands? I sure don't. I know Christianity does not accept killing, but rather one of it's base tenets is "thou shall not kill"
    ...for the most part these people don't go around trying to push their beliefs. They may defend it and even argue about it once confronted but they don't have a text telling them they need to spread the word of atheism.
    I've heard the most degrading and belittling ways of treating the spiritual beliefs of members on this board alone. I can't overlook human ignorance/arrogance from either side. Any sense of arrogance seems to give people license to do all kinds of things in the name of ignorance and "being right".

• Options
    Perhaps. I wonder what they would use instead of the fear of one's afterlife to get such a large base to follow and get behind them?

I think there are many examples in history, charismatic dictators coming into power just at the right time, using people's fears & circumstances to 'unite' them towards a not-so-great ideal. Hell, people could very easily say that our current president uses the fear of 'terror' to justify shady policy & laws. He uses fear to push & justify his agenda.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    I agree wholeheartedly with baraka.

Many, many people make fear choices. Fear of WMD inspired the people your nation to support going to war. Fear of nuclear war can cause people to perpetuate the fear in the world in an attempt to stop it and other people's fear.

Advertising latches onto our inner sense of lack/fear and motivates us to buy. The news perpetuates fear and people gravitate to it, as their inner fears relate. I see this fear being as prevalent in non-religious as in religious people.

Fear of all kinds of things is the opposite to Love choices which inspire us to love one another, and help one another, and to share with one another. Love inspires us to flourish and grow and expand while fear drives us to contract, close off and separate.

• Options
    angelica wrote:
    Exactly.
    I also don't see people dying because of the spread of religion. Do you believe God tells George Bush to bring about the deaths of thousands? I sure don't. I know Christianity does not accept killing, but rather one of it's base tenets is "thou shall not kill"

No but I don't believe in a god, he does. Could Bush believe he is doing what his god would want him to do? Perhaps. Their bible says to not accept killing but many seem to justify it anyway. I think they see it as self defense over another religon they see as a threat to their way of life.
    angelica wrote:
    I've heard the most degrading and belittling ways of treating the spiritual beliefs of members on this board alone. I can't overlook human ignorance/arrogance from either side. Any sense of arrogance seems to give people license to do all kinds of things in the name of ignorance and "being right".

I think that treatmant often goes both ways here. People are arrogant over many things. Some people are arrogant because they are more educated, more attractive, more talented but I don't see the amount of problems arising from these arrogances. Maybe in the lack of religon people would use these as justification for killing but I don't think that's necessarily what would inevitably happen. It's a possibility just as my thought is.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    No but I don't believe in a god, he does. Could Bush believe he is doing what his god would want him to do? Perhaps. Their bible says to not accept killing but many seem to justify it anyway. I think they see it as self defense over another religon they see as a threat to their way of life.
    I completely agree that they do justify killing, when it's clearly unjustifiable with their own ideals. I do believe George Bush looks at his options and chooses what he sees as the best options available, given the situation. I don't believe he has idealist insight that you, or baraka or I would have into a situation. I believe he is not a terribly insightful man, which is why he seems oblivious to the actual consequences of his actions. As such, he seems to more "blindly" follow his "faith". With such mass power that he holds, it's very easy to misstep, especially when one does not have the light of insight to light the way. Lack of insight is shown by uninsightful actions. Killing and war are as crude and uninsightful as I can imagine.
    I think that treatmant often goes both ways here. People are arrogant over many things. Some people are arrogant because they are more educated, more attractive, more talented but I don't see the amount of problems arising from these arrogances. Maybe in the lack of religon people would use these as justification for killing but I don't think that's necessarily what would inevitably happen. It's a possibility just as my thought is.
    Fair enough.

• Options
    billpjbillbillpjbill Posts: 15
    religion is not bad. people who use religion to kill others in the name of god are not religious, but unfortunately people who do good things in religion are not recognized as often as people who kill in the name of religion. there are good and bad sides to all well known organisations, but religion seems to be the one pointed out the most.
  • Options

Then there is also the arrogance of those that are wealthier than most people, for example, let's look at some of the key players in the 14 most corrupt corporations you mentioned in another thread. Perhaps their arrogance is fueled by greed as oposed to religion. To them, their bottom-line is justification for the misfortune they might cause or have already caused others. And when there's money to be made, unfortunately many people will follow them down the same path.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    baraka wrote:
    Then there is also the arrogance of those that are wealthier than most people, for example, let's look at some of the key players in the 14 most corrupt corporations you mentioned in another thread. Perhaps their arrogance is fueled by greed as oposed to religion. To them, their bottom-line is justification for the misfortune they might cause or have already caused others. And when there's money to be made, unfortunately many people will follow them down the same path.

greed gets my vote, hands down. i said way earlier, since probably even before recorded history, humanity has been killing/pushing out others to take over more desirable territories to call their own. seriously, what we are enmeshed in right now over in iraq...what is that about exactly? hmmm...i'd say once again, greed. whether lauding power, money, resources, etc....wanting what's best is what imho has fueled the vast majority of conflicts. i think many a conflict based on greed has been masked over by being 'in the name of' religion...but yea, still greed...still trying to exert your own influence/power. it's the rare few who risk their lives to go after another unless they have something to gain. sorry, i don't think 'god's favor' motivates many, but moreso what they can get within THIS life.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    greed gets my vote, hands down. i said way earlier, since probably even before recorded history, humanity has been killing/pushing out others to take over more desirable territories to call their own. seriously, what we are enmeshed in right now over in iraq...what is that about exactly? hmmm...i'd say once again, greed. whether lauding power, money, resources, etc....wanting what's best is what imho has fueled the vast majority of conflicts. i think many a conflict based on greed has been masked over by being 'in the name of' religion...but yea, still greed...still trying to exert your own influence/power. it's the rare few who risk their lives to go after another unless they have something to gain. sorry, i don't think 'god's favor' motivates many, but moreso what they can get within THIS life.
    This makes perfect sense, to me anyway. I also agree that people are motivated generally by what they can get in this life, even many so-called religious people. I find many religious people I've met split up their spiritual aspect of life and keep it far away from "practical concerns", which I've heard many a justification to be less than spiritual about.

• Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    billpjbill wrote:
    religion is not bad. people who use religion to kill others in the name of god are not religious, but unfortunately people who do good things in religion are not recognized as often as people who kill in the name of religion. there are good and bad sides to all well known organisations, but religion seems to be the one pointed out the most.

good point. religion hasn't caused any deaths. the belief in God has never held a gun or pushed a button. it all comes down to man. when a group of people decide their beliefs are the only beliefs; and are willing to kill for their beliefs; bloodshed will follow. i don't know of any religion that condones killing. those who kill go against their religion to kill. those who wind-up their God on sundays and forget the teachings the rest of the week.
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    angelica wrote:
    This makes perfect sense, to me anyway. I also agree that people are motivated generally by what they can get in this life, even many so-called religious people. I find many religious people I've met split up their spiritual aspect of life and keep it far away from "practical concerns", which I've heard many a justification to be less than spiritual about.

this brings up another point with me. what about those who fight for the "freedom" to practice what they believe? many so called holy wars were for freedom to believe and nothing was gained except that freedom. we all fight for freedom. not so much in current times; but every people have fought for freedom. the fight for freedom is different now. in the '60's blacks fought for freedom. in the '70's and '80's gays fought for acceptance; now they fight for marriage. i'm not singling any one group out; just using examples.
  • Options
    angelica wrote:

as highly developed we may be as a species...when it comes right down to it, we are still animals at the gut/instinctual level....even many animals kill/threaten/drive away other animals, even within their own species/group...to laud over the most desirable territory/feeding area/females/whatever. whatever is the envisioned 'advantage'....there was, is and probably always will be, some degree of conflict. perhaps we can at least hope, that as highly developed creatures, ever evolving...we will find better ways to even work out sharing the 'best' resources, etc...and not be motivated to harm on the baser instincts of greed, et al. so yes, while religion has played a role in many a conflict, even a truly central/pivotal role...i honestly do not believe it is THE biggest reason, and even amongst 'religious' conflicts...i think oftentimes...it was merely a handy 'excuse' to use, to mask the true reasons/desires...that honestly had nothing to do with religion or god, or anything remotely spiritual in nature. merely my own beliefs on it.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...