Options

Will History Prove "W" To Be Better Than We Gave Him Credit For?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    NYbenben wrote:
    i really dont think so...

then again, when Carter left office, he wasnt thought of very highly, but he really wasnt that bad afterall...

Bush? Yes... that bad afterall...

Carter was that bad after all. His presidency is still looked at as a failure. But what he did post-presidency has certainly elevated peoples' opinion of him as a man and he often takes the role of elder statesman.

Bush's presidency will always been seen as a failure. As the ushering in of chaos. Losing superpower status. Losing international respect. Failing domestically. Failing in conflicts. Creating unprecedented government growth and spending. Whittling away civil rights. No matter what he does post-presidency, that won't be erased. He'll go on to be baseball commissioner or something, and people will think he's a fun guy, but I don't believe his presidency will ever be look upon as anything but abject failure.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    It was Bush's divisiveness and refusal to work with the other party that divided this country. He created an environment of hyper-partisanship that they few times he did try to reach across the aisle the partisanship he created helped defeat those efforts. All you have to do is look back to the Clinton presidency. his success came from working with the other party, not by working against them.

Please list an example or two of when Bush refused to work with both democrats and republicans.
  • Options
    two words "signing statements"
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    Carter was that bad after all. His presidency is still looked at as a failure. But what he did post-presidency has certainly elevated peoples' opinion of him as a man and he often takes the role of elder statesman.

Bush's presidency will always been seen as a failure. As the ushering in of chaos. Losing superpower status. Losing international respect. Failing domestically. Failing in conflicts. Creating unprecedented government growth and spending. Whittling away civil rights. No matter what he does post-presidency, that won't be erased. He'll go on to be baseball commissioner or something, and people will think he's a fun guy, but I don't believe his presidency will ever be look upon as anything but abject failure.

1) Carter did a good job after his presidency. In fact he even won a nobel peace prize which was well deserved. Carter was just in over his head. He had good intentions with bad results.

2) Now it is true that Bush spent way more. However, he did not lose America as a Superpower. He did strain some allies with the US, but the US is still looked as THE POWER in the world. I think it will be more than likely that Bush will vanish like Nixon did. Just completely fed up with how people treated him in general.
  • Options
    Someone mentioned that Bush could elevate his position by working with kids in Africa and stuff once he shakes off the "POTUSA" tag... I somehow can't see that happening. Do you see his dad getting out there and helping underprivelidged kids around the world? Can you even imagine how cringeworthy it would be seeing 'W' do that and that he would even care? Let's just have the guy retire and consign him to the history books, that's best for everyone.

Clinton, on the other hand, liked head, but seems to have a good heart and his work with AIDS since his presidency has been commendable. I remember seeing a forum in South Africa he did where he answered a queston about what he would do if his child told him she had AIDS and his answer one of the most eloquent and passionately honest replies I've ever heard.

BTW.. . I know very little about him during his presidency, so I don't care what he did before, I just see his transformation since as something more than 'marketing' as someone suggested.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    timmyshee wrote:
    Do you see his dad getting out there and helping underprivelidged kids around the world? .

Yes.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    would the kids in africa or any other country WANT gwb to help?
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I actually think it may; however, it's usually liberal college professors that get most of the historical say. He has kept us safe after 9/11, which lands more in Clinton's lap. His failures are not changing economic policies put in place by Clinton (i.e. forcing banks to loan money to people who really couldn't afford a house), No Child Left Behind, big government spending.

I admire him sticking to his guns a la Lincoln, who was also ridiculed. Americans should be ashamed for the disrespect and vitriol that was spewn his way in the public and the media. The office deserves more respect. I hope Obama gets some of this just to show how ridiculous it is. But once right thinking people say anything, they will be lambasted as racist.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    timmyshee wrote:
    Someone mentioned that Bush could elevate his position by working with kids in Africa and stuff once he shakes off the "POTUSA" tag... I somehow can't see that happening. Do you see his dad getting out there and helping underprivelidged kids around the world? Can you even imagine how cringeworthy it would be seeing 'W' do that and that he would even care? Let's just have the guy retire and consign him to the history books, that's best for everyone.

Clinton, on the other hand, liked head, but seems to have a good heart and his work with AIDS since his presidency has been commendable. I remember seeing a forum in South Africa he did where he answered a queston about what he would do if his child told him she had AIDS and his answer one of the most eloquent and passionately honest replies I've ever heard.

BTW.. . I know very little about him during his presidency, so I don't care what he did before, I just see his transformation since as something more than 'marketing' as someone suggested.
    This is laughable; Clinton has spent most of his time earning tons of money making speeches and writing books; way more than any other past president.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    This is laughable; Clinton has spent most of his time earning tons of money making speeches and writing books; way more than any other past president.

I didn't say anything about his money making, just that he really seems to care about AIDS and has made a sterling effort in countries such as Brazil to fight it.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    His presidency = I'm sure history will look on him more fondly then his we have the last two years, but that still might not be much to brag about.

The man = it's quite possible.

He's still fairly young compared to a lot of leaders who have left office and depending on what he does post-presidency, history may look on him favorably.

Then again, look at Presidents like Andrew Jackson. Despite his, err, shortcomings, he's on our currency--a wonderful example of irony. A lot of early Presidents were highly divisive and are now revered.
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    It has to.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    I admire him sticking to his guns a la Lincoln, who was also ridiculed. Americans should be ashamed for the disrespect and vitriol that was spewn his way in the public and the media. The office deserves more respect. I hope Obama gets some of this just to show how ridiculous it is. But once right thinking people say anything, they will be lambasted as racist.

The strong difference between Lincoln and Bush is that President Bush was constantly given examples and opportunities of why one of his policies was wrong, why he needn't to change his mindset, and he refused to do so because he felt it was more principled to 'stay decisive.' The Iraq war is a particularly good example of this trait. It is enormously principled to remain decisive against big problems to see them through. It is enormously stupid to continue to do something wrong in an attempt to look strong.

I think President Bush's presidency will not be looked back upon fondly. Under his watch, the federal government failed to act in New Orleans, was unable to catch Osama bin Laden, did not forward the search for alternative energy sources in any significant manner, and sent this nation to war upon false pretense, the most telling sign of a commander-in-chief's incompetence.
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Sir Geldof himself wrote in Time magazine that W has simply been the best U.S. president for Africa ... ever, even combining prez's before him you can't reach the magnitude of aid he dumped into Africa.

Stories like that went under-reported -- and there's lots of them.

He had a hostile media, and was hostile to it, almost his entire presidency so the good stories about his presidency just never really came to light.

Admittedly, his good points are overshadowed by some incredible gaffs and wrongheadedness -- but yeah, if we're looking at a completely democratic Middle East 50 years from now, easy to spot where it started.

I'm hoping history (and by that, the future) vindicates him.
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    I actually think it may; however, it's usually liberal college professors that get most of the historical say. He has kept us safe after 9/11, which lands more in Clinton's lap. His failures are not changing economic policies put in place by Clinton (i.e. forcing banks to loan money to people who really couldn't afford a house), No Child Left Behind, big government spending.

kept you safe since 911....you perhaps could say that. Innocents in Iraq and our military....not so much.

Remember before Bush was President......the attacks on the US were daily. There was 94 that killed nobody and................
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    I don't know, but the critics didn't give 'W.' a lot of credit:
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/w_2008/?critic=creamcrop
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Time has a way of revealing truth.
    I think Bush will be remembered as the one who got us into Iraq... and someone else will take the credit or the blame for getting us out... based upon the outcome of our withdrawal.
    And the Iraqis will play a large role in that outcome... whether they decide to live in peace with their differing religious sects.. or use those sects to create a war amongst themselves. Remember, based upon their mindset, they are tribal first... then, Sunni, Shi'ia or Kurdish... and finally, Iraqi.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    pjalive21 wrote:
    i believe he kept us safe and that im thankful for

AFTER he ignored the information that Bin Laden was determined to strike in the US. After Bin Laden attacked us on his watch. That's when he started "keeping us safe".

I don't think he gets the credit for keeping us safe. And I think time will show that he did far more harm than good, and probably more harm than we even realize yet.