Eddie's politics from VH1

Comments

• ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    If Ed wasn't busy touring, I think he'd do some good to go on shows like Bill Maher's or even Bill O'Reilly's... holy shit... Ed on 'the Factor'... that would be HILARIOUS.

Yes...while Eddie was mumblin' Bill O'Reilly would be speaking over him, telling him that he's the reason why 'Merica was in such a state of disrepair, etc. Eddie would finally get something out which totally refuted O'Relly's moronic banter, but Billy would be like "we're past that Eddie, now about gay marriage ..."
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I dont get it.

"Paperplates, what do you think of the liberal people on this board?"

"Fuck them"

Lighten up, that was a joke.

Get it?
    Did you say that with the same tone of voice and look in your eye that Ed had when he said it? If so ... yeah, I get it :)
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    I don't think Ed has much more depth to be honest. Most of us don't, and that is OK. He may use words like "en masse" and "Omni-present" to seem more "researched" but he comes off as someone who has simply swallowed the opinions of his fave commentators just like the majority of us.. Ed is one of those people, not unlike Michael Moore and GW Bush, that polarize people with their presentation. I agree with most of what Ed says (along with Moore) but when he speaks condescendingly of people who disagree with him (like perhaps unintentionally suggesting they wear "blinders") it detracts from whatever point he is making.

I am also unsure of the productivity that would come from "The state of Mississppi", but who cares, it has a great melody! As always, I respect Ed's conviction and his willingness to express them. I am sure he will get his act down perfect as he gets more comfortable with his platform. He has potential to be a good spokesman for his cause. Though he did blow it by wearing them "blinders" in 2000 and dreaming of a Nader White House, that kind of screwed us in the A.

Actually that's not true at all. See, there is right way to look at the world, and a wrong way. There's reality, and then there is a view seen through blinders.

All he did was said the war was wrong, killing babies, said the people that support the republican party are the ones most adversely afected by them. He spoke the truth...

And its not that its ED saying it...it sthat someone is saying it VH1...a media outlet. Someone saying the right things on a major tv outlet is always a positive step. Maybe it'll get someone to open a book..
  • PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Some words when spoken, cant be taken back.
    hippiemom wrote:
    Did you say that with the same tone of voice and look in your eye that Ed had when he said it? If so ... yeah, I get it :)

IDk, did you make the same face mike did when Ed made his "joke"?? Did mike just "not get it"? Ed backpedalled faster than a Kerry at a fund raiser.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    dg1979us wrote:
    Bill Maher or somebody of that nature needs to have Ed on next season. Everybody obviously knows his political stances, but I would love to see him on a show like that where he can get more in depth than he is able to in a concert setting.

I saw Chomsky on the Maher show and they simply interviewed him by way of satellite, and then allowed a couple of twats on the panel to insult him once he'd gone. They didn't give Chomsky a chance to defend himself and engage in reasoned debate. I thought it was bloody awful. Chomsky would have destoyed the twat who slagged him off for the remainder of the show. The best of Chomsky that I've seen is when he is placed in a debate with someone. He is brilliant in that situation. I don't think that Vedder, on the otherhand, is someone who likes confrontation. I can't imagine him faring too comfortably in the presence of some Bush backer. But then, who knows?
  • dg1979usdg1979us Posts: 568
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I saw Chomsky on the Maher show and they simply interviewed him by way of satellite, and then allowed a couple of twats on the panel to insult him once he'd gone. They didn't give Chomsky a chance to defend himself and engage in reasoned debate. I thought it was bloody awful. Chomsky would have destoyed the twat who slagged him off for the remainder of the show. The best of Chomsky that I've seen is when he is placed in a debate with someone. He is brilliant in that situation. I don't think that Vedder, on the otherhand, is someone who likes confrontation. I can't imagine him faring too comfortably in the presence of some Bush backer. But then, who knows?

They always have satelite guests and the reason Chomsky was on satelite is because he probably didnt want to be on the panel. So that isnt necessarily Maher's fault because I am sure he has invited Chomsky to be on the panel on numerous occasions.

And if he (I assume you mean Ed not Chomsky) cant be comfortable around Bush backers then to me that would indicate a lack of confidence in his beliefs. And quite frankly, I think Ed is probably really confident in his beliefs so I dont think that would be an issue.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Well at least now maybe the "right wingers" know we have an ally in PJ. I wonder if Mike was offended for the fans at the "eff em" comment, or if he was personally offended. Joke or not, the "eff em" wasnt necessary. The question wasnt " hey ed, some fans think your an ass and have different opinions then yours"> An " f-em" would be appropriate in that case. The question was something like " alot of your fanbase have different political views, whats your opinion on that?" 'F-em???' Another truly open minded liberal. Im sorry, backpedal all you want ed, that was uncalled for, and not in line with the question asked of you.

And I thought Betterman was dedicated to the bastid that married his momma. Its a political song???????? hahahahaha ok ed.

hahahahaha maybe you should take a look at who mike gives money to!

http://opensecrets.org/indivs/search.asp?NumOfThou=0&txtName=mccready&txtState=%28all+states%29&txtZip=&txtEmploy=&txtCand=&txt2004=Y&Order=N

MCCREADY, MICHAEL
    SEATTLE,WA 98144
    SELF EMPLOYED/GUITAR PLAYER
    8/31/2003
    $1,500
    Dean, Howard

MCCREADY, MICHAEL
    SANTA MONICA,CA 90405
    SELF-EMPLOYED/MUSICIAN
    9/24/2004
    $400
    No Vote Left Behind

MCCREADY, MIKE
    SANTA MONICA,CA 90405
    PEARL JAM/MUSICIAN
    10/9/2004
    $1,116
    America Coming Together

http://opensecrets.org/indivs/search.asp?NumOfThou=0&txtName=mccready&txtState=%28all+states%29&txtZip=&txtEmploy=&txtCand=&txt2000=Y&Order=N

MCCREADY, MICHAEL D MR
    BELLEVUE,WA 98005
    SELF-EMPLOYED/MUSICIAN
    7/17/2000
    $2,000
    Nader, Ralph
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    El_Kabong wrote:

http://opensecrets.org/indivs/search.asp?NumOfThou=0&txtName=mccready&txtState=%28all+states%29&txtZip=&txtEmploy=&txtCand=&txt2004=Y&Order=N

MCCREADY, MICHAEL
    SEATTLE,WA 98144
    8/31/2003
    $1,500
    Dean, Howard

MCCREADY, MICHAEL
    SANTA MONICA,CA 90405
    SELF-EMPLOYED/MUSICIAN
    9/24/2004
    $400
    No Vote Left Behind

MCCREADY, MIKE
    SANTA MONICA,CA 90405
    PEARL JAM/MUSICIAN
    10/9/2004
    $1,116
    America Coming Together

http://opensecrets.org/indivs/search.asp?NumOfThou=0&txtName=mccready&txtState=%28all+states%29&txtZip=&txtEmploy=&txtCand=&txt2000=Y&Order=N

MCCREADY, MICHAEL D MR
    BELLEVUE,WA 98005
    SELF-EMPLOYED/MUSICIAN
    7/17/2000
    $2,000
    Nader, Ralph

impressive how you got this info...or should i say scary?
  • hippiemom wrote:
    As chief justice, he in a way symbolizes a very conservative court. Also, without going over each individual ruling (I do legal research for a living, and it's a holiday weekend ... not doing it), he's agreed most often with the two most arch-conservative justices (Alito 87.5% and Scalia 77.5%), and least with Justice Stevens (35%), who Ed is probably a big fan of. I don't know if Ed had particular rulings in mind, or chose him because he's chief justice, but there's no question that for someone on the left there's plenty not to like there.

You (or Ed) may disagree with Roberts (supposed) stance on abortion but...if you take an objective look at Robert's career, accomplishments, personal life and still dislike him...I would submit that you're not a very good judge of character.
    I'm not a hate monger.
    I don't hate anyone.
    I'm more of a hate...stylist.
  • Kenny Olav wrote:
    If Ed wasn't busy touring, I think he'd do some good to go on shows like Bill Maher's or even Bill O'Reilly's... holy shit... Ed on 'the Factor'... that would be HILARIOUS.

I still can't for the life of me understand why anyone who actually wanted to have a real debate on any topic would go on Bill O'Reilly's show.

I also would love to see Ed on The Daily Show. I'm kind of surprised that it hasn't happened yet. It would have been great if he'd appeared in 2004 during the Vote For Change tour.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    pjalive21 wrote:
    impressive how you got this info...or should i say scary?

scary or not, it's called FECA
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
    To the politically sophisticated, Ed came off as an inarticulate tortured artist. I agree with most of you on your views of Ted Nugent, but if you really think that Ed is viewed any less nuts by the average listener, you are the ones with blinders....and that's just it...perhaps the left would have more luck winning elections if they didn't call people that disagree with them dumb hicks that have been bamboozled by America's corporate infrastructure. I'm not a sociologist, but people are probably more likely to be persuaded by your arguments if you don't treat them like a 10 year old.
    El_Kabong wrote:

MCCREADY, MICHAEL
    SEATTLE,WA 98144
    8/31/2003
    $1,500
    Dean, Howard

MCCREADY, MICHAEL
    SANTA MONICA,CA 90405
    SELF-EMPLOYED/MUSICIAN
    9/24/2004
    $400
    No Vote Left Behind

MCCREADY, MIKE
    SANTA MONICA,CA 90405
    PEARL JAM/MUSICIAN
    10/9/2004
    $1,116
    America Coming Together

MCCREADY, MICHAEL D MR
    BELLEVUE,WA 98005
    SELF-EMPLOYED/MUSICIAN
    7/17/2000
    $2,000
    Nader, Ralph

dollars to donuts thats money donated by ed in mike's name. Or by Mike to humor Ed. None of those amounts are exactly generous in proportion to income. Thats like me giving a quarter to the ralph nader fund. ;)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    He would be quite good on the Daily show, or Colbert.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    dollars to donuts thats money donated by ed in mike's name. Or by Mike to humor Ed. None of those amounts are exactly generous in proportion to income. Thats like me giving a quarter to the ralph nader fund. ;)

you can't give more than $2,000

As far as Ed going on any talk show, I think he knows his limitations. He's "good" at one liners that people can't respond to, but something tells me he'd make Ben Affleck look like Albert Einstein in any arena where he actually has to back up his opinions without referencing prophets of the truth (i.e. cooks like Zinn, et. al.)
  • dollars to donuts thats money donated by ed in mike's name. Or by Mike to humor Ed. None of those amounts are exactly generous in proportion to income. Thats like me giving a quarter to the ralph nader fund. ;)

yeah, it must have been some kind of joke...it just can't be true. :rolleyes:

mike has also talked about supporting nader before but I've never heard anything about him supporting a conservative candidate.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    I still can't for the life of me understand why anyone who actually wanted to have a real debate on any topic would go on Bill O'Reilly's show.

Well, as much as it shouldn't be the case, O'Reilly does command an audience. I admit that since I got cable again last week, I've watched it just for the unintentional comedy. At times its as funny as the Daily Show. Anyway, because Ed is not Democratic operative drone he'd probably be able to put up a real challenge to O'Reilly and make him look like as ass even to his loyal audience. At the very least it would entertaining to me. Of course, I don't expect it to ever happen.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    yeah, it must have been some kind of joke...it just can't be true. :rolleyes:

mike has also talked about supporting nader before but I've never heard anything about him supporting a conservative candidate.

I believe Mike said he had conservative views a long time ago.

Hey, I was actually a registered Republican once myself... it happens.
  • pghaspghas Posts: 128
    i thought it was great.

they don't have time for the haters. they have been around long enough that they do not have to. its like "this is me, take me for who i am or not at all." and i do not have a problem with that at all.

That is/was NOT his point. I think he was completely joking. And besides, it isn't people who disagree with his views that are being alienated - those people, like him, are generally able to understand that there is a perspective besides their own. It's the people who want the guy to just shut up and play who are alienated, and they really don't get it. People who want Ed to separate his music from his politics are shooting themselves in the foot - its the guy's passion about many political/social/cultural issues that drives the entire band's catalog. Without that aspect of things, this new album would not exist. Many of the songs are political statements. It's not like they're up there playing some pop song about having a crush on a girl and then turning around and spouting off political nonsense. As much as an artist can - and I mean within the context of his profession - he talks the talk and walks the walk. You gotta respect that.
  • SuzannePjamSuzannePjam Posts: 411
    After reading the following excerpt from an article someone posted on The Porch, I think Ed is pretty damn articulate and informed, and would do himself proud on any political show he chose to go on. I do remember reading an interview where he said he made it his business to be extremely well informed and felt he could have gone on a show like O'Reilly and could have taken him point for point.

Now that we’ve gotten some distance, how effective do you think the Vote For Change tour was, given George Bush won the election?
    EV: After it happened, you felt like you really didn’t know the people in this country, even though you just visited Ohio and all the other places that were considered swing states.

Did you notice where George Bush threw out the first pitch this year to start the baseball season? Ohio.
    EV: Is that right?

Yeah, Cincinnati.
    EV: That fucking son of a bitch.

His buddy owns the Reds, which is why he did it, I assume. But still, shouldn’t he be in Texas throwing out the first pitch?
    EV: Maybe he should be occupied with figuring out what the hell is going on with his foreign policy. Maybe he should be getting people back home to their families and stop killing Iraqi families. Maybe they should stop cutting brush and stop shooting ducks and fucking get in the fucking office and get the job done. I’m working harder as a fucking musician than any of these assholes are that are leading and representing our country to the rest of the world. They are creating a huge fucking mess. To try to get back to your question ... [Laughs] Can you tell I’m a little bit frustrated by this situation? I would be embarrassed to go out smiling in front of a crowd of people with the world in a state of affairs as it is now, knowing that they were the ones who stepped in the hornets’ nest. It’s a level of arrogance that I imagine is unparalleled in documented American history. It’s that arrogance that made people feel safer. I think Hurricane Katrina showed us that we are not safe with this administration. In fact, while the war is going on, the rights of Americans—not to mention economic stability and job security—have been completely eroded, but it’s all buried beneath the war. If you look at the profit margins of their friends—whether it’s oil companies they have close ties to from Condoleezza Rice and, obviously, Bush himself to Halliburton and Dick Cheney—it’s unfathomable that this is going on without a level of dissent that is so loud that they can no longer speak their lies above it. I think it’s finally getting to that point. We’re finally starting to get fed up. This might be the window where you can finally get an antiwar candidate, because the polls would support him. It’s a shame that no one has the balls to say what they feel instead of saying what they know will get them elected. That’s how power ends up in the people’s hands: if they are vocal and do express themselves. Out of self-preservation alone, the politicians would have to follow. This is the kind of hope we have to have these days. Looking back, even though the Vote For Change tour was a failed experiment because our candidate did not win, it was also a flexing of the muscle of freedom of speech and preserving the rights that were written into the Constitution by some incredibly smart individuals a couple hundred years ago that say that not only do we have the right to dissent but we have the responsibility, that it’s actually our duty as citizens. That’s something kids in school are being reminded of. I was probably not listening that day, but I finally figured it out years later. It’s a very important part of living in America. In no other time in recent history has it been as intense. I think what’s happening now are things that will affect the next few generations, whether environmentally or just corporate globalization. I think it’s a radical time in America.

Has fatherhood changed your view of the world or this country?
    EV: For me, the fear is that my daughter in 20 years, if she wants to have a well-paying or decent-paying job after educating herself, will have to work for one of maybe three to five major corporations that run the whole fucking globe. And that those corporations will probably be profiting off the unhealthy state of consumers. There will be blood money involved. You won’t be able to make an honest living that can’t be tracked back to some destruction of the environment or some disrespect to American workers. When I say disrespect, I mean all-out abandonment, as all the factory jobs will be in other countries. Not to go off on a tangent, but not only do they go to other countries, they go to other countries for a while and then switch to another one after they exhaust those resources. It’s a real chew-them-up-and-spit-them-out corporate approach; at some point, the planet is going to be decimated. [Laughs] Bring in the guitar solo.

Though you’ve always been outspoken about politics, you kicked it up a notch since Bush was elected. Some of your fans have said they don’t like the Bush bashing at shows.
    EV: I guess you have to just realize this is just part and parcel of what we do. It’s not all that we do. I think you can still have a good night out and, at times, a great night of rock ‘n’ roll if you come see our group. I don’t think we are going to hit you over the head with anything. Hopefully, the music is powerful. At this time, I feel, “How can you not be talking about this stuff?” I’d be talking about it if I was a bartender. I’d be talking about it if I was a druggist. I’d be talking about it if I was the head of a corporation and how we’d deal with that. Or what was our place in the world and how we would combat these things. The fact that we’re in a band, which is one of the places you’re allowed to speak up; we don’t have stockholders we have to kowtow to or lobbyists where we’re fronting opinions for them because they are sneaking us money. If there’s any job you should be expressing yourself this kind of way it would be that of a musician or a writer. When some of these bigger problems end, we can shut up and play. And we’ll be happy doing that. I look forward to the day and welcome it. I would love to stop thinking about this stuff. That’s where the fury and frustration comes in. I’m fucking sick of dealing with this. I’m sick of living as an American and knowing that our government has run rampant and, even worse than that, has treated us like we’re idiots.

Pearl Jam’s activism and charity work is truly impressive. I heard that on the tour supporting the new album, you guys are giving money to various charities—arts, education, environmental—in every city you play in. Can we talk about that?
    EV: It’s exciting. You can get something done right quick, and the idea is that we don’t have to talk about it. We don’t want credit and also don’t want the flak. We don’t want anything other than to help take care of a problem, of which there are many. In a lot of cases—and I hope this doesn’t sound heavy-handed—it’s an attempt to stop the bleeding in certain aspects of these communities that we play in that normally would fall under the responsibility of the local government or even the federal government. The idea is that we don’t have to talk about it and bring up the issues at the show and beg someone to check out a Web site or get involved. It’s like, “Let’s just take a portion of the price of a ticket and do something about it on a small level.” Even if it’s just keeping them on their feet, whatever these organizations are. Just little things, like paying for attorneys’ fees or whatever. What might take months of raising money through a Web site, we can do in a night. If it’s part of what we do as a show, it helps it be a sort of celebration, too. We play and everyone has a good time, but some good work is done as well.
    "Where there is sacrifice there is someone collecting the sacrificial offerings."-- Ayn Rand

"Some of my friends sit around every evening and they worry about the times ahead,
    But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference and the promise of an early bed..."-- Elvis Costello
    After reading the following excerpt from an article someone posted on The Porch, I think Ed is pretty damn articulate and informed, and would do himself proud on any political show he chose to go on. I do remember reading an interview where he said he made it his business to be extremely well informed and felt he could have gone on a show like O'Reilly and could have taken him point for point.

Now that we’ve gotten some distance, how effective do you think the Vote For Change tour was, given George Bush won the election?
    EV: After it happened, you felt like you really didn’t know the people in this country, even though you just visited Ohio and all the other places that were considered swing states.

Did you notice where George Bush threw out the first pitch this year to start the baseball season? Ohio.
    EV: Is that right?

Yeah, Cincinnati.
    EV: That fucking son of a bitch.

His buddy owns the Reds, which is why he did it, I assume. But still, shouldn’t he be in Texas throwing out the first pitch?
    EV: Maybe he should be occupied with figuring out what the hell is going on with his foreign policy. Maybe he should be getting people back home to their families and stop killing Iraqi families. Maybe they should stop cutting brush and stop shooting ducks and fucking get in the fucking office and get the job done. I’m working harder as a fucking musician than any of these assholes are that are leading and representing our country to the rest of the world. They are creating a huge fucking mess. To try to get back to your question ... [Laughs] Can you tell I’m a little bit frustrated by this situation? I would be embarrassed to go out smiling in front of a crowd of people with the world in a state of affairs as it is now, knowing that they were the ones who stepped in the hornets’ nest. It’s a level of arrogance that I imagine is unparalleled in documented American history. It’s that arrogance that made people feel safer. I think Hurricane Katrina showed us that we are not safe with this administration. In fact, while the war is going on, the rights of Americans—not to mention economic stability and job security—have been completely eroded, but it’s all buried beneath the war. If you look at the profit margins of their friends—whether it’s oil companies they have close ties to from Condoleezza Rice and, obviously, Bush himself to Halliburton and Dick Cheney—it’s unfathomable that this is going on without a level of dissent that is so loud that they can no longer speak their lies above it. I think it’s finally getting to that point. We’re finally starting to get fed up. This might be the window where you can finally get an antiwar candidate, because the polls would support him. It’s a shame that no one has the balls to say what they feel instead of saying what they know will get them elected. That’s how power ends up in the people’s hands: if they are vocal and do express themselves. Out of self-preservation alone, the politicians would have to follow. This is the kind of hope we have to have these days. Looking back, even though the Vote For Change tour was a failed experiment because our candidate did not win, it was also a flexing of the muscle of freedom of speech and preserving the rights that were written into the Constitution by some incredibly smart individuals a couple hundred years ago that say that not only do we have the right to dissent but we have the responsibility, that it’s actually our duty as citizens. That’s something kids in school are being reminded of. I was probably not listening that day, but I finally figured it out years later. It’s a very important part of living in America. In no other time in recent history has it been as intense. I think what’s happening now are things that will affect the next few generations, whether environmentally or just corporate globalization. I think it’s a radical time in America.

Has fatherhood changed your view of the world or this country?
    EV: For me, the fear is that my daughter in 20 years, if she wants to have a well-paying or decent-paying job after educating herself, will have to work for one of maybe three to five major corporations that run the whole fucking globe. And that those corporations will probably be profiting off the unhealthy state of consumers. There will be blood money involved. You won’t be able to make an honest living that can’t be tracked back to some destruction of the environment or some disrespect to American workers. When I say disrespect, I mean all-out abandonment, as all the factory jobs will be in other countries. Not to go off on a tangent, but not only do they go to other countries, they go to other countries for a while and then switch to another one after they exhaust those resources. It’s a real chew-them-up-and-spit-them-out corporate approach; at some point, the planet is going to be decimated. [Laughs] Bring in the guitar solo.

Though you’ve always been outspoken about politics, you kicked it up a notch since Bush was elected. Some of your fans have said they don’t like the Bush bashing at shows.
    EV: I guess you have to just realize this is just part and parcel of what we do. It’s not all that we do. I think you can still have a good night out and, at times, a great night of rock ‘n’ roll if you come see our group. I don’t think we are going to hit you over the head with anything. Hopefully, the music is powerful. At this time, I feel, “How can you not be talking about this stuff?” I’d be talking about it if I was a bartender. I’d be talking about it if I was a druggist. I’d be talking about it if I was the head of a corporation and how we’d deal with that. Or what was our place in the world and how we would combat these things. The fact that we’re in a band, which is one of the places you’re allowed to speak up; we don’t have stockholders we have to kowtow to or lobbyists where we’re fronting opinions for them because they are sneaking us money. If there’s any job you should be expressing yourself this kind of way it would be that of a musician or a writer. When some of these bigger problems end, we can shut up and play. And we’ll be happy doing that. I look forward to the day and welcome it. I would love to stop thinking about this stuff. That’s where the fury and frustration comes in. I’m fucking sick of dealing with this. I’m sick of living as an American and knowing that our government has run rampant and, even worse than that, has treated us like we’re idiots.

Pearl Jam’s activism and charity work is truly impressive. I heard that on the tour supporting the new album, you guys are giving money to various charities—arts, education, environmental—in every city you play in. Can we talk about that?
    EV: It’s exciting. You can get something done right quick, and the idea is that we don’t have to talk about it. We don’t want credit and also don’t want the flak. We don’t want anything other than to help take care of a problem, of which there are many. In a lot of cases—and I hope this doesn’t sound heavy-handed—it’s an attempt to stop the bleeding in certain aspects of these communities that we play in that normally would fall under the responsibility of the local government or even the federal government. The idea is that we don’t have to talk about it and bring up the issues at the show and beg someone to check out a Web site or get involved. It’s like, “Let’s just take a portion of the price of a ticket and do something about it on a small level.” Even if it’s just keeping them on their feet, whatever these organizations are. Just little things, like paying for attorneys’ fees or whatever. What might take months of raising money through a Web site, we can do in a night. If it’s part of what we do as a show, it helps it be a sort of celebration, too. We play and everyone has a good time, but some good work is done as well.

This is your example of an educated, rational, articulate response? Again, to the mainstream "hillbilly corporate tit-sucker with blinders on," he comes off as completely out of touch.
  • Kenny Olav wrote:

In the article Cameron Crowe wrote for Rolling Stone in 1993(?), Mike says something about being really disillusioned at one point. He'd moved down to L.A. with his old band, Shadow, and tried to get signed. It didn't work out, and he moved back up to Seattle. He got depressed and cut his hair, and started reading a book by Barry Goldwater. He said he almost became a conservative. I guess one has to hit the bottom emotionally before conservatism sounds like a good idea.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141

first there's a limit to how much one can donate to political campaigns, that is law and why there's all these pac's now.

if ed donated it in mike's name that is illegal and i highly doubt ed would risk that just to give $1,500 to dean.

if mike did it to 'humor' ed why didn't he donate any money to bush/cheney in either election cycle??

lastly, if you go to the link in my other post you can do a search and see mike actually gave more money than ed did towards the 2004 election, as well as ed only gave to America Coming Together, not to Dean or any other candidate. but he did give $7,000 to Nader in 2000.

but for shits and giggles here's what stone gave

http://opensecrets.org/indivs/search.asp?NumOfThou=0&txtName=gossard&txtState=%28all+states%29&txtZip=&txtEmploy=&txtCand=&txt2004=Y&Order=N

GOSSARD, STONE
    BELLEVUE,WA 98005
    PEARL JAM/MUSICIAN
    6/9/2004
    $5,000
    New Apollo Energy

GOSSARD, STONE
    SANTA MONICA,CA 90405
    SELF EMPLOYED/MUSICIAN
    5/12/2004
    $2,000
    Kerry, John

GOSSARD, STONE
    SANTA MONICA,CA 90411
    SELF EMPLOYED/MUSICIAN
    9/17/2003
    $2,000
    Dean, Howard

GOSSARD, STONE
    SANTA MONICA,CA 90405
    SELF/MUSICIAN
    10/8/2004
    $1,302
    America Coming Together

GOSSARD, STONE
    BELLEVUE,WA 98005
    SELF-EMPLOYED/MUSICIAN
    5/25/2004
    $1,000
    No Vote Left Behind

GOSSARD, STONE
    BELLEVUE,WA 98005
    SELF-EMPLOYED/MUSICIAN
    9/24/2004
    $1,000
    No Vote Left Behind

GOSSARD, STONE
    SANTA MONICA,CA 90405
    MUSICIAN
    5/25/2004
    $1,000
    No Vote Left Behind

GOSSARD, STONE
    SANTA MONICA,CA 90405
    SELF/MUSICIAN
    10/9/2004
    $372
    America Coming Together
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    pjalive21 wrote:
    actually i would like to see Ed debate someone when he doesnt have the platform all to himself....

then we would see what he has to offer

THAT is what I would LOVE to see!!!!!!!!!!!
  • binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    This is your example of an educated, rational, articulate response? Again, to the mainstream "hillbilly corporate tit-sucker with blinders on," he comes off as completely out of touch.

Sounds like some of the hollywierd wak jobs!!

OUCH!!!!!!!!
  • Kenny Olav wrote:

I remember reading that, as well. I said I have never seen anything about Mike supporting a republican candidate, maybe he has...but I haven't seen it yet. So if anyone has, feel free to set me straight.

Kenny, it boggles my mind to think of you as a young republican! :p:D
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • In the article Cameron Crowe wrote for Rolling Stone in 1993(?), Mike says something about being really disillusioned at one point. He'd moved down to L.A. with his old band, Shadow, and tried to get signed. It didn't work out, and he moved back up to Seattle. He got depressed and cut his hair, and started reading a book by Barry Goldwater. He said he almost became a conservative. I guess one has to hit the bottom emotionally before conservatism sounds like a good idea.

Now I remember...that's what it was!

-Oscar Wilde
  • SuzannePjamSuzannePjam Posts: 411

Yes, I think it is an educated and articulate example. One sided, yes, but he's just expressing his opinion as we all do on this board. I particularly like these two lines:

I would be embarrassed to go out smiling in front of a crowd of people with the world in a state of affairs as it is now, knowing that they were the ones who stepped in the hornets’ nest.

The fact that we’re in a band, which is one of the places you’re allowed to speak up; we don’t have stockholders we have to kowtow to or lobbyists where we’re fronting opinions for them because they are sneaking us money. If there’s any job you should be expressing yourself this kind of way it would be that of a musician or a writer. When some of these bigger problems end, we can shut up and play. And we’ll be happy doing that. I look forward to the day and welcome it.
    "Where there is sacrifice there is someone collecting the sacrificial offerings."-- Ayn Rand

"Some of my friends sit around every evening and they worry about the times ahead,
    But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference and the promise of an early bed..."-- Elvis Costello
  • Yes, I think it is an educated and articulate example. One sided, yes, but he's just expressing his opinion as we all do on this board. I particularly like these two lines:

I would be embarrassed to go out smiling in front of a crowd of people with the world in a state of affairs as it is now, knowing that they were the ones who stepped in the hornets’ nest.

The fact that we’re in a band, which is one of the places you’re allowed to speak up; we don’t have stockholders we have to kowtow to or lobbyists where we’re fronting opinions for them because they are sneaking us money. If there’s any job you should be expressing yourself this kind of way it would be that of a musician or a writer. When some of these bigger problems end, we can shut up and play. And we’ll be happy doing that. I look forward to the day and welcome it.

I think those quotes show someone who is very much informed, atriculate and in touch with the world that's around us all not just around him.

-Oscar Wilde

Plus its obvious they editted out the 35,000 uhhhhs and ummmms . ;)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad