Eddie's politics from VH1

1vs51vs5 Posts: 289
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
What's everyone think about it?
I thought he was brilliant and you could tell he thought a lot about it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dg1979usdg1979us Posts: 568
    Bill Maher or somebody of that nature needs to have Ed on next season. Everybody obviously knows his political stances, but I would love to see him on a show like that where he can get more in depth than he is able to in a concert setting.
  • dg1979us wrote:
    Bill Maher or somebody of that nature needs to have Ed on next season. Everybody obviously knows his political stances, but I would love to see him on a show like that where he can get more in depth than he is able to in a concert setting.
    I'd agree but his diction is too...cerebral?
    he thinks and mutters and mumbles and plays the whole shy thing...
    it's his thing and why we love him, but doesn't translate very well to a show like that, you get shouted over and then when you shout back you look like a moron.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
    I'd agree but his diction is too...cerebral?
    he thinks and mutters and mumbles and plays the whole shy thing...
    it's his thing and why we love him, but doesn't translate very well to a show like that, you get shouted over and then when you shout back you look like a moron.

He would be fine if he were on the right show. Bill Maher isnt a show where people get shouted over like a cable news station. I dont think I have ever really seen him in a political discussion. I have seen him on stage giving his political opinion, and I have read interviews, but those arent in depth. I would like to see him where he has an outlet to be in depth, and Bill Maher's show was the first one that sprung to mind.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    actually i would like to see Ed debate someone when he doesnt have the platform all to himself....

then we would see what he has to offer
    pjalive21 wrote:
    actually i would like to see Ed debate someone when he doesnt have the platform all to himself....

Thats exactly what I am saying. I would like to actually see him in a discussion, rather than just his unchallenged opinion. I certainly think he could hold his own and be great, but I think if he had someone debating and discussing with him then it would bring a lot more out of him and be a lot more in depth discussion.
  • 69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    pjalive21 wrote:

Ed vs. Ted Nugent. That would be great!

:D
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    dg1979us wrote:
    Thats exactly what I am saying. I would like to actually see him in a discussion, rather than just his unchallenged opinion. I certainly think he could hold his own and be great, but I think if he had someone debating and discussing with him then it would bring a lot more out of him and be a lot more in depth discussion.

do you think that would take him out of his comfort zone??

i dunno just a thought...i personally couldnt see him debating..lol

edit: ED VS TED would be hilarious!!!
    pjalive21 wrote:
    do you think that would take him out of his comfort zone??

i dunno just a thought...i personally couldnt see him debating..lol

Well thats true. He might not want to do it, but I would still love to see it. Im a big Maher fan, and Eddie and Tom Morello are 2 people I would love to see on the show. But, I would have to say that Morello certainly seems like he would be more comfortable in that situation.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Has anyone ever seen Ed debate? Come on. He's a mumbler and a bit scrambled. Coherence and diction are not strong suits. I don't think he'd do at all well in a debate on any subject. He may have the smarts, he may do his homework, but he's no debater or public speaker.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr wrote:
    Has anyone ever seen Ed debate? Come on. He's a mumbler and a bit scrambled. Coherence and diction are not strong suits. I don't think he'd do at all well in a debate on any subject. He may have the smarts, he may do his homework, but he's no debater or public speaker.

Just hide the wine until after the show and he would be fine.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    dg1979us wrote:
    Just hide the wine until after the show and he would be fine.

:) That would certainly help!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr wrote:
    :) That would certainly help!

I would just love to see him on a show like that where he actually discusses political issues, instead of making unchallenged comments like you get at a concert. I dont know if that would be his thing, but I think he can hold his own and I think he could pronunciate for an hour or so.
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    question: What do you think of fans that may have different ideologies than you and the band?

Ed:Fuck em. Maybe it'll get them to ask questions, to get them to take their blinders off.

Such a sick response.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    Commy wrote:
    question: What do you think of fans that may have different ideologies than you and the band?

Ed:Fuck em. Maybe it'll get them to ask questions, to get them to take their blinders off.

Such a sick response.

i thought it was great.

they don't have time for the haters. they have been around long enough that they do not have to. its like "this is me, take me for who i am or not at all." and i do not have a problem with that at all.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • moegossardmoegossard Posts: 75
    Commy wrote:

Such a sick response.

b/n "fuck em" (he was joking) and "maybe..." he said that he has a lot of respect for fans of different opinions, etc. That's misleading to quote him like that.
  • 69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    moegossard wrote:
    b/n "fuck em" (he was joking) and "maybe..." he said that he has a lot of respect for fans of different opinions, etc. That's misleading to quote him like that.

Totally misleading. He was actually very nice about the subject.

I can only hope that Eddie steps back now and again to check if his blinders are off as well.
  • my only issue was the random insertion of John Roberts into the "here's to the state of..." song.
    What has he really done or said wrong other than being liked by Bush?
  • 3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    bunch of babies...

who cares what Ed thinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Seemed to me, via body language and facial expressions, that several of the guys in the band are about as tired of hearing ed's "rants" and "ramblings" as I am. Otherwise, the show rocked. Time and place for everything. And who plays a cover in a storyteller performance thats supposed to be telling stories about YOUR original music.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Seemed to me, via body language and facial expressions, that several of the guys in the band are about as tired of hearing ed's "rants" and "ramblings" as I am. Otherwise, the show rocked. Time and place for everything. And who plays a cover in a storyteller performance thats supposed to be telling stories about YOUR original music.

I am becoming increasingly convinced that Mike especially has some views that differ from eddies, at least on some level. In interviews after the Denver/03 and other Bushleaguer related incidents, i got an impression he wasnt totally on board with ed politically (no specfic quotes, just a general feel)... and then with the new album there was an interview before it came out about how they all understand its Ed's band, and they kinda give into him.. and Last night, Mike was VERY vague in the question about politics.
    I am becoming increasingly convinced that Mike especially has some views that differ from eddies, at least on some level. In interviews after the Denver/03 and other Bushleaguer related incidents, i got an impression he wasnt totally on board with ed politically (no specfic quotes, just a general feel)... and then with the new album there was an interview before it came out about how they all understand its Ed's band, and they kinda give into him.. and Last night, Mike was VERY vague in the question about politics.

Well at least now maybe the "right wingers" know we have an ally in PJ. I wonder if Mike was offended for the fans at the "eff em" comment, or if he was personally offended. Joke or not, the "eff em" wasnt necessary. The question wasnt " hey ed, some fans think your an ass and have different opinions then yours"> An " f-em" would be appropriate in that case. The question was something like " alot of your fanbase have different political views, whats your opinion on that?" 'F-em???' Another truly open minded liberal. Im sorry, backpedal all you want ed, that was uncalled for, and not in line with the question asked of you.

And I thought Betterman was dedicated to the bastid that married his momma. Its a political song???????? hahahahaha ok ed.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    my only issue was the random insertion of John Roberts into the "here's to the state of..." song.
    What has he really done or said wrong other than being liked by Bush?
    As chief justice, he in a way symbolizes a very conservative court. Also, without going over each individual ruling (I do legal research for a living, and it's a holiday weekend ... not doing it), he's agreed most often with the two most arch-conservative justices (Alito 87.5% and Scalia 77.5%), and least with Justice Stevens (35%), who Ed is probably a big fan of. I don't know if Ed had particular rulings in mind, or chose him because he's chief justice, but there's no question that for someone on the left there's plenty not to like there.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
    Well at least now maybe the "right wingers" know we have an ally in PJ. I wonder if Mike was offended for the fans at the "eff em" comment, or if he was personally offended. Joke or not, the "eff em" wasnt necessary. The question wasnt " hey ed, some fans think your an ass and have different opinions then yours"> An " f-em" would be appropriate in that case. The question was something like " alot of your fanbase have different political views, whats your opinion on that?" 'F-em???' Another truly open minded liberal. Im sorry, backpedal all you want ed, that was uncalled for, and not in line with the question asked of you.
    Lighten up, it was a joke :)
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    dg1979us wrote:
    He would be fine if he were on the right show. Bill Maher isnt a show where people get shouted over like a cable news station. I dont think I have ever really seen him in a political discussion. I have seen him on stage giving his political opinion, and I have read interviews, but those arent in depth. I would like to see him where he has an outlet to be in depth, and Bill Maher's show was the first one that sprung to mind.

I don't think Ed has much more depth to be honest. Most of us don't, and that is OK. He may use words like "en masse" and "Omni-present" to seem more "researched" but he comes off as someone who has simply swallowed the opinions of his fave commentators just like the majority of us.. Ed is one of those people, not unlike Michael Moore and GW Bush, that polarize people with their presentation. I agree with most of what Ed says (along with Moore) but when he speaks condescendingly of people who disagree with him (like perhaps unintentionally suggesting they wear "blinders") it detracts from whatever point he is making.

I am also unsure of the productivity that would come from "The state of Mississppi", but who cares, it has a great melody! As always, I respect Ed's conviction and his willingness to express them. I am sure he will get his act down perfect as he gets more comfortable with his platform. He has potential to be a good spokesman for his cause. Though he did blow it by wearing them "blinders" in 2000 and dreaming of a Nader White House, that kind of screwed us in the A.
  • hippiemom wrote:
    As chief justice, he in a way symbolizes a very conservative court. Also, without going over each individual ruling (I do legal research for a living, and it's a holiday weekend ... not doing it), he's agreed most often with the two most arch-conservative justices (Alito 87.5% and Scalia 77.5%), and least with Justice Stevens (35%), who Ed is probably a big fan of. I don't know if Ed had particular rulings in mind, or chose him because he's chief justice, but there's no question that for someone on the left there's plenty not to like there.

Thats what my point is though- It comes off as attacking him just for being a conservative justice and as a figurehead. I dont see where's done anything specifically that should have drawn ed's ire---- it comes off as a "i hate anythign conservative" ....

If he said Rumsfeld or Rice or anyone blatent, it would have fit a lot better.
    Thats what my point is though- It comes off as attacking him just for being a conservative justice and as a figurehead. I dont see where's done anything specifically that should have drawn ed's ire---- it comes off as a "i hate anythign conservative" ....

If he said Rumsfeld or Rice or anyone blatent, it would have fit a lot better.
    I see what you're saying. If I were going to single out a justice, it would definitely be Scalia ... he has such a long history now, that may have been more understandable to most of the viewers. Still, it hardly comes as a surprise that Ed hasn't liked and will continue not to like most of what comes out of the Roberts court.
  • hippiemom wrote:
    I see what you're saying. If I were going to single out a justice, it would definitely be Scalia ... he has such a long history now, that may have been more understandable to most of the viewers. Still, it hardly comes as a surprise that Ed hasn't liked and will continue not to like most of what comes out of the Roberts court.

Not a surprise at all, but it kinda hurts his credibility as an open minded guy. Like I said, it came off to me (im a bit biased, i know) as an "i hate anything republican" as opposed to calling out the people that have done things to warrent being called out in song.
  • Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    Commy wrote:

Such a sick response.

I don't agree with Ed's views on abortion,not even one bit.But I wouldn't say,''Fuck him,'' for having a different opinion.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
    hippiemom wrote:
    Lighten up, it was a joke :)

I dont get it.

"Paperplates, what do you think of the liberal people on this board?"

"Fuck them"

Lighten up, that was a joke.

Get it?
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    If Ed wasn't busy touring, I think he'd do some good to go on shows like Bill Maher's or even Bill O'Reilly's... holy shit... Ed on 'the Factor'... that would be HILARIOUS.