Posters 06 World Tour

Comments

• jjbehrenjjbehren Posts: 167
    Brisbane's gone....

Looks like there is some demand for these after all. At least more so than for Arnhem, Milwaukee or Ireland/UK.
    http://www.expressobeans.com/public/member.php?id=6105

6/26/98, 6/30/98, 6/13/99, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, 8/27/00, 8/29/00, 8/30/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 6/15/03, 6/16/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/26/06, 6/27/06
  • Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,823
    yostarama wrote:
    The million dollar question today is when is the leftover poster's going to go up for sale?

Not today :)
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    jjbehren wrote:
    Brisbane's gone....

Looks like there is some demand for these after all. At least more so than for Arnhem, Milwaukee or Ireland/UK.

like your ghost hood ;)

most people buy for the images... so they don't care

and some will be surprised that it's not a silkscreen

here's the email/breakdown from the guy who sold the posters

Pearl Jam Posters Australian Tour
    Some info:
    Posters are not signed or numbered.
    They're printed offset on 100+ lb heavy art stock.
    A series of 12 different posters were made using four different artists each making 3 designs.

Approx 1000 posters were made of each design.
    Between 350 to 500 of each poster to be merched (depending on venue size)
    at respective gigs in OZ, which btway are selling out each nite.
    350 of each sent back to the US fanclub for sale later.
    100 of each go to the band, not for sale.
    150 stay in OZ for sale thru Beyond The Pale Posters.
    Regards
    John Harris
    Beyond The Pale Posters
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
    Foxy Mop wrote:
    Not today :)

good
  • Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,823
    bostonlou wrote:
    good
    why good?
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Galaxie2X4Galaxie2X4 Posts: 151
    ANybody seen that kick ass West Palm Beach 06 poster. Oh shit, that's right, there isn't one.
    "My Cadillac's sittin in the back, it isn't me, I'm going home in my Galaxy"
    S. Hoon

"My body's nobody's body but mine. You run your own body, let me run mine" Chicago '95

Franken '08
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,632
    bostonlou wrote:
    Regards
    John Harris
    Beyond The Pale Posters
    I'm not seeing the Newbury Comics allotment in his math.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Foxy Mop wrote:
    why good?

it was a sarcastic good... you should know that! :)

plus I figured "good" was better than bitching and complaining about it

Poncier wrote:
    I'm not seeing the Newbury Comics allotment in his math.

my guess is you could take it from the "approximately 1000" which probably ended up being 1400
  • Qball wrote:
    The run for the austrailian posters was infinity. They are lithographs and you can make those at kinkos and no one could tell the difference.

You can not go to Kinkos and get Litho prints. Kinkos digital printing service prints to laser printers, a very different process from lithography that I mentioned in another thread. Laser printing creates prints made from powder or wax toner that gets fused to the paper in one layer using heat, this creates an image that is dull and soft. The color can also vary greatly from print to print.

Lithography, the process used for the Aussie posters uses a (typically) four color print system that sets down each of the 4 component colors separately (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) as a series of tiny dots; once the 4 layers of dots are on the page, it creates the illusion of many hues, tints and shades of color. The result can be vibrant and are much sharper than a laser print.

If you can not tell the difference between a laser print and a lithograph from of a printing press....you aren't looking. You just can not make a high quality, fine art print that would be acceptable to the discerning collector using the laser printing process.

If you really think that these posters can be duplicated at your locals Kinkos, I challenge you to go try it.
  • schmoffschmoff Posts: 428
    You can not go to Kinkos and get Litho prints. Kinkos digital printing service prints to laser printers, a very different process from lithography that I mentioned in another thread. Laser printing creates prints made from powder or wax toner that gets fused to the paper in one layer using heat, this creates an image that is dull and soft. The color can also vary greatly from print to print.

Lithography, the process used for the Aussie posters uses a (typically) four color print system that sets down each of the 4 component colors separately (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) as a series of tiny dots; once the 4 layers of dots are on the page, it creates the illusion of many hues, tints and shades of color. The result can be vibrant and are much sharper than a laser print.

If you can not tell the difference between a laser print and a lithograph from of a printing press....you aren't looking. You just can not make a high quality, fine art print that would be acceptable to the discerning collector using the laser printing process.

If you really think that these posters can be duplicated at your locals Kinkos, I challenge you to go try it.

well said, as an artist myself i dont think anybody here realizes what a litho is, it may not be as hands on as a screenprint but it is not a print that is dupicated easily
    50+ shows and lost count somewhere along the way
  • the difference between a laser print and a lithograph from of a printing press...

I just thought of this...you can think of it this way:
    lithograph = .flac file
    laser print/copy = poorly compressed .mp3 file
    I just thought of this...you can think of it this way:
    lithograph = .flac file
    laser print/copy = poorly compressed .mp3 file

As an avid live concert trader/collector, this is a very good explanation. However, I fear that for some you just turned the waters from muddy to concrete...

Although, that being said, seeing as PJ sells the bootlegs in both formats, perhaps most know the difference.

6/26/98, 6/30/98, 6/13/99, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, 8/27/00, 8/29/00, 8/30/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 6/15/03, 6/16/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/26/06, 6/27/06
  • QballQball Posts: 283

If I used a top notch computer printer and the right paper you could not tell the difference between the original and the fake. Litho's are cheesey. I personally dont collect them. The art of screenprinting makes the concert poster. To make 3000 lithos you need to hit a button. Silkscreens are hand made and you need physical labor to do them. It's just my opinion though and I am not saying you are wrong I'm just saying that litho's are the easy way out. Litho's have that glossy same glossy feel as any poster sold at walmart. I dont know I just would never frame a walmart poster for $200. Every silkscreen poster is slighty different. Thats my favorite thing about them.
  • schmoffschmoff Posts: 428
    Qball wrote:
    If I used a top notch computer printer and the right paper you could not tell the difference between the original and the fake. Litho's are cheesey. I personally dont collect them. The art of screenprinting makes the concert poster. To make 3000 lithos you need to hit a button. Silkscreens are hand made and you need physical labor to do them. It's just my opinion though and I am not saying you are wrong I'm just saying that litho's are the easy way out. Litho's have that glossy same glossy feel as any poster sold at walmart. I dont know I just would never frame a walmart poster for $200. Every silkscreen poster is slighty different. Thats my favorite thing about them.

no offense but there is no way you could get a print as good as a litho
    sorry, but you really dont know what your talking about,
    lithos are printed on a printing press not some computer digital printer
    when a artist makes a print of a painting they use lithos, (ie. peter max prints, salvatore dali, all major artists that have multiple print runs), they sell for thousands and thousands of dollars, if you can make prints that look as good as those you should start a business
    i'm not talking out os my a$$ either, this is what i do for a living

if you ever get a chance mike rowe has a show called dirty jobs on discovery channel and they did an episode on lithographs, you should check it out, it really shows the entire process and would clear up any misconceptions
    50+ shows and lost count somewhere along the way
  • QballQball Posts: 283
    schmoff wrote:
    no offense but there is no way you could get a print as good as a litho
    sorry, but you really dont know what your talking about,
    lithos are printed on a printing press not some computer digital printer
    when a artist makes a print of a painting they use lithos, (ie. peter max prints, salvatore dali, all major artists that have multiple print runs), they sell for thousands and thousands of dollars, if you can make prints that look as good as those you should start a business
    i'm not talking out os my a$$ either, this is what i do for a living

if you ever get a chance mike rowe has a show called dirty jobs on discovery channel and they did an episode on lithographs, you should check it out, it really shows the entire process and would clear up any misconceptions
    I never said that they are made up from a computer printer I said that they can be reproduced by a computer printer and still look the same. And yes I am sorry but I just wouldnt collect lithos. I understand that there is a process in making lithographs and it takes time but the silkscreening process is much more difficult. Now listen to this You said " when a artist makes a print of a painting they use lithos" and that is my point. To me the silkscreened poster is the original painting and the litho is nothing but a reproduced copy. I know lithos can be expensive but to me (I know call me crazy) they dont look any better than the framed reproduced art prints that you can buy framed at the mall for $100. Also, I am not calling any of these artists of the Australian posters untalented or even their work. I just dont like lithographs. Also thanks to schmoff and elyse_UpHereSoHi for shedding some light on lithos and the process.
    kick his ass sea bass!!!
  • MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    Qball wrote:
    To me the silkscreened poster is the original painting and the litho is nothing but a reproduced copy.

How many times do people have to keep telling you... a lithograph is NOT a copy, it's a printing process.
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,096
    oh where oh where have all the T-shirts gone

that where in the specials section..... I wasn't going to by one just wondering?
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Screen printing and Lithography are both quality art and take great artistic skill.

Silk screens wear out and cannot produce a kagillion prints and are more labor intensive, the artist handles every copy.

Lithos are made from printing plates which take a lot of work up front but the plates can make an endless amount of copies. Collectors usually like to hear that the litho plates produced a small run and afterwards the plates were destroyed.
    the Minions
  • KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,096
    Did you say lick? You know you got a problem if you lick your posters
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    bostonlou wrote:
    like your ghost hood ;)

most people buy for the images... so they don't care

and some will be surprised that it's not a silkscreen

here's the email/breakdown from the guy who sold the posters

Pearl Jam Posters Australian Tour
    Some info:
    Posters are not signed or numbered.
    They're printed offset on 100+ lb heavy art stock.
    A series of 12 different posters were made using four different artists each making 3 designs.

Regards
    John Harris
    Beyond The Pale Posters

I heard Newcastle that was a smaller venue had 300 and Beyond the Pale had 100 to sell in their shop of each concert.
    Compared to the 2003 tour the amount sold in ebay for the 2006 tour has been a constant thing.
    In 2003 the first few weeks there were a few for sale getting high prices, but this time its different.
    Screen printing and Lithography are both quality art and take great artistic skill.

Silk screens wear out and cannot produce a kagillion prints and are more labor intensive, the artist handles every copy.

Lithos are made from printing plates which take a lot of work up front but the plates can make an endless amount of copies. Collectors usually like to hear that the litho plates produced a small run and afterwards the plates were destroyed.

I think the Australia posters should have been all numbered so that there wouldnt be any doubt of more being printed and sold after the event.
  • jmacdjmacd Posts: 145
    they have all moved to the t-shirt section....
    KDH12 wrote:
    oh where oh where have all the T-shirts gone

that where in the specials section..... I wasn't going to by one just wondering?
    toronto '92 X 2, toronto '93, hamilton '05, toronto 1 '06, toronto '09, buffalo '10, london '13, buffalo '13
  • kj1nyrkj1nyr Posts: 837
    jmacd wrote:
    they have all moved to the t-shirt section....

Making room for more posters perhaps? :D
  • jmacdjmacd Posts: 145
    can only hope
    kj1nyr wrote:
    Making room for more posters perhaps? :D
    toronto '92 X 2, toronto '93, hamilton '05, toronto 1 '06, toronto '09, buffalo '10, london '13, buffalo '13
    Has Perth just appeared or was it there a few hrs ago.....
    Its 1pm OZ time so perhaps it did just go up...
    aus_suz wrote:
    Has Perth just appeared or was it there a few hrs ago.....
    Its 1pm OZ time so perhaps it did just go up...

Perth has been there for about 12-and-a-half hours...

• Screen printing and Lithography are both quality art and take great artistic skill.

First, I wanna make it clear that I agree that the silk screen posters ARE more desirable, they look and feel more like "art" pieces. I just want people to realize that just b/c it's a Silk Screen doesn't mean each and every copy has been lovingly handled by the artist.

so, a couple of corrections:
    Although in some cases artists handle each silk screen print one by one, it is not always the case. As a matter of fact, many of the Pearl Jam t-shirts that you buy are printed using that same type of silk screen process as the posters, and they certainly don't make all those t-shirts one by one by hand. There is equipment for "mass producing" screen prints. http://www.systauto.com/sx/sx-a.html , though you are right that the silk screen do wear out more quickly.

BUT, Litho plates do eventually wear out, too. sure, not as quickly, but the plates can't make an "endless" number of impressions. Also, not usually, but sometimes, every lithograph in a run is lovingly handled by the artist, too.
    jjbehren wrote:
    Perth has been there for about 12-and-a-half hours...

Gees I didnt see it there before.......
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    SPECIALS SECTION OF GOODS TO BE RENAMED POSTERS SECTION. Hey why not. With all these aussie posters in a row why else would they have moved both the concert posters into and t-shirts out of the specials section? Just a thought.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life