Options

If you're racist and you know it, VOTE McCAIN

godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
edited September 2008 in A Moving Train
Sep 16, 6:52 PM EDT

Sebelius: 'Code language' hindering Obama campaign

By NIGEL DUARA
Associated Press Writer

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) -- Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius said Tuesday that a belief among some voters that Democrat Barack Obama is different from them is hindering his campaign for president.

Asked at a brown-bag lunch at the local library why the campaign is neck-and-neck, Sebelius said "code language" raising doubts about Obama is invalid because his life experience "has a lot more to do with me and my family."

"I think that the notion that, 'By the way, have any of you noticed that Barack Obama is part African American?' I think that is for a number of people difficult," Sebelius said. "I think we need to talk about the fact that that is a real issue."

Sebelius promoted Obama's candidacy during stops in Cedar Rapids and West Burlington.

The governor said recent polling in the Upper Midwest showed the region is still in play for both parties. She noted that polls indicate Obama has a wide lead in Iowa over Republican John McCain but that the race in Minnesota is a dead heat.

The Democratic governor said she remains optimistic that Obama will carry the region because tax issues, energy policy and health care reform all favor the Democrat. She said Obama's campaign will focus on the economy and try to tie McCain's tax and economic plans to President Bush's policies.

"Iowa is likely to be a state that's decided by a couple percentage points either way," Sebelius said. "Sen. McCain's on his way here Thursday. He clearly feels that Iowa is in play." McCain and his vice presidential running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, were to attend a rally Thursday in Cedar Rapids.

Sebelius talked about a "neighborhood-by-neighborhood ground game" strategy to win votes in the region, but acknowledged it won't be an easy fight.

In Minnesota, a Minneapolis Star Tribune poll on Sunday showed each candidate supported by 45 percent of likely voters in the state. That's a dramatic improvement for McCain from a Star Tribune poll in May that found him trailing Obama by 13 percentage points.

"Minnesota is a state that's likely to be close," Sebelius said. To win, Democrats must refocus "voters on the economic challenges of the country and the fact that these candidates have very different plans to move us forward. I'm convinced Barack Obama will do very well in Minnesota."
"If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
—Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Honestly, in this campaign the only racists I've seen have been associated with Obama.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    Honestly, in this campaign the only racists I've seen have been associated with Obama.

:rolleyes:
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    know1 wrote:
    please, back it up and name one?
  • Options
    yield6 wrote:
    please, back it up and name one?

Pastor Wright. How quickly we forget.

And frankly, Obama made some comments himself that I would deem racist about his mother or grandmother.

• Options
    know1 wrote:

Do you believe that when Rep. Westmoreland called Obama "uppity", it was an honest mistake, and that he had no prior awareness of its widely accepted connotation as a racial slur?

....because I don't.
  • Options
    Do you believe that when Rep. Westmoreland called Obama "uppity", it was an honest mistake, and that he had no prior awareness of its widely accepted connotation as a racial slur?

....because I don't.

I hadn't heard that one. It could be racist, although quite a bit more subtle than the examples I have heard from the other side.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
  • Options

....because I don't.

i hadn't heard that one either, but does that mean the word uppity is a racial slur? because i use it all the time.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081
    godpt3 wrote:
    Sep 16, 6:52 PM EDT

Sebelius: 'Code language' hindering Obama campaign

By NIGEL DUARA
    Associated Press Writer

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) -- Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius said Tuesday that a belief among some voters that Democrat Barack Obama is different from them is hindering his campaign for president.

Asked at a brown-bag lunch at the local library why the campaign is neck-and-neck, Sebelius said "code language" raising doubts about Obama is invalid because his life experience "has a lot more to do with me and my family."

"I think that the notion that, 'By the way, have any of you noticed that Barack Obama is part African American?' I think that is for a number of people difficult," Sebelius said. "I think we need to talk about the fact that that is a real issue."

Sebelius promoted Obama's candidacy during stops in Cedar Rapids and West Burlington.

The governor said recent polling in the Upper Midwest showed the region is still in play for both parties. She noted that polls indicate Obama has a wide lead in Iowa over Republican John McCain but that the race in Minnesota is a dead heat.

The Democratic governor said she remains optimistic that Obama will carry the region because tax issues, energy policy and health care reform all favor the Democrat. She said Obama's campaign will focus on the economy and try to tie McCain's tax and economic plans to President Bush's policies.

"Iowa is likely to be a state that's decided by a couple percentage points either way," Sebelius said. "Sen. McCain's on his way here Thursday. He clearly feels that Iowa is in play." McCain and his vice presidential running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, were to attend a rally Thursday in Cedar Rapids.

Sebelius talked about a "neighborhood-by-neighborhood ground game" strategy to win votes in the region, but acknowledged it won't be an easy fight.

In Minnesota, a Minneapolis Star Tribune poll on Sunday showed each candidate supported by 45 percent of likely voters in the state. That's a dramatic improvement for McCain from a Star Tribune poll in May that found him trailing Obama by 13 percentage points.

"Minnesota is a state that's likely to be close," Sebelius said. To win, Democrats must refocus "voters on the economic challenges of the country and the fact that these candidates have very different plans to move us forward. I'm convinced Barack Obama will do very well in Minnesota."

what does this article have to do with racism? because the race in iowa and minnesota is close, obviously mccain supporters are racist? are you for real?
    and like that... he's gone.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

You obviously don't live in the south
    the Minions
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    know1 wrote:

And frankly, Obama made some comments himself that I would deem racist about his mother or grandmother.

Well, to your claim that Obama is the primary racist here,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODaxZSz3Awg

and

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/the-race-factor-in-pa-primary/

And remember, these are during solely Democratic Party primaries; the electorate in these polls and interviews has yet to expand to Independents and Democrats. And remember that if 12% of white Democrats publicly claim that their decision is based on race and then vote for Clinton on the basis, the actual number is much higher, since most people will not be willing to publicly admit their prejudices. So please don't try to tell us that the primary factor regarding race in this election is coming from Obama; there are many people, particularly in those swing states, that will not vote for him on this basis. The evidence so far proves it.
  • Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    digster wrote:
    Well, to your claim that Obama is the primary racist here,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODaxZSz3Awg

that youtube video makes me sick...

"i ain't prejudice or nothin' but i just don't have a...i don't think he should be in there."

racism, aka the bubba vote

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/earl-ofari-hutchinson/bubba-vote-is-mccains-big_b_126496.html
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Hmmm. Man I don't want to get into this can of worms, but um, the OP just did the guilt by association thing sorta, not real clear how to express this....

But just by stating, "If your racist, vote for mccain" which in itself is obvious, but then adds this "neat" level of allusion!

It's still totally ok to vote for mccain if your NOT racist -- and of course, you hafta be cool with the potential to be labelled a racist just because you did vote for mccain, cause you know, the OP is saying all racists should.

And then um, yeah, there's another kind of "racist" [scare quotes intentional in an overtly ironic way] that will be voting for Obama, yes?
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    acutejam wrote:
    Hmmm. Man I don't want to get into this can of worms, but um, the OP just did the guilt by association thing sorta, not real clear how to express this....

But just by stating, "If your racist, vote for mccain" which in itself is obvious, but then adds this "neat" level of allusion!

It's still totally ok to vote for mccain if your NOT racist -- and of course, you hafta be cool with the potential to be labelled a racist just because you did vote for mccain, cause you know, the OP is saying all racists should.

And then um, yeah, there's another kind of racist that will be voting for Obama, yes?

kind of like how when obama said the whole lipstick on a pig thing when he was talking about mccain's policies and mccain came out and said he was talking about palin being a pig? (which by the way, did you notice mccain quietly said that he knew obama wasn't calling her a pig? gee, that didn't get as much press as mccain's original charge saying that was what obama did). obviously the OP titled the thread as that to spark whatever to get people to come in and post. if they actually think that a vote for mccain is a racist vote for president, well, that is their opinion, not mine.

i'm well aware that there are whites that won't vote for obama just because he is black just as well as i know that there are blacks and other minorities that will vote for obama just because he is black.
  • Options
    acutejam wrote:

And then um, yeah, there's another kind of "racist" [scare quotes intentional in an overtly ironic way] that will be voting for Obama, yes?

It's definitely true that there are many legitimate reasons not to vote for Obama, most of all regarding a disagreement with his policies. But I bristled that know1 said that Obama was the primary pusher of race in this campaign. It's a ridiculous notion to assert, considering how much race permeated the decision-making during the Democratic primary. The facts, quite simply, do not back him up.
  • Options
    Obama himself said that if he loses the election, it would not be because he's black, but because he didn't do a good enough job convincing people that he would make a good president.

That said, I do know several people that have flat out said that they would not vote for a black man for president. There was a discussion on Chris Matthews this past week about the "bubba" vote. People who would just not vote for a black man. Sad.
    "Where there is sacrifice there is someone collecting the sacrificial offerings."-- Ayn Rand

"Some of my friends sit around every evening and they worry about the times ahead,
    But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference and the promise of an early bed..."-- Elvis Costello
  • Options
    Obama himself said that if he loses the election, it would not be because he's black, but because he didn't do a good enough job convincing people that he would make a good president.

that's cool, i'm glad he said that. i hope he doesn't go back on that if he doesn't win.
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    know1 wrote:
    Senator McCain. How quickly we forget.

"I hated the gooks. I will hate them as long as I live."
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    that's cool, i'm glad he said that. i hope he doesn't go back on that if he doesn't win.

I don't think he'll go back on that. I am certain his supporters will.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    I don't think he'll go back on that. I am certain his supporters will.

Just because he said it doesn't make it true. Three of the most important swing-states are Pennsylvania, Ohio and Michigan, and these states all have substantial amounts of working-class rural areas where that racism that permeated the Democratic primaries ran rampant according to polls. Is any Democrat, Republican or Independent honestly going to say that there will not be a substantial and possibly game-changing result due to these prejudices? And before someone comes back with saying "well, black people are voting for Obama. That's racist also." The problem with this is that white voters made up 77% of the last presidential electorate, and that percentage will probably not decrease extremely significantly despite Obama's new voters.
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Senator McCain. How quickly we forget.

"I hated the gooks. I will hate them as long as I live."
    Not to mention Palin calling the Iraq war a task from God, essentially meaning killing Muslims was a task from God... unless someone else wants to say otherwise?
  • Options
    I am getting really pissed about hearing about how it is racist to vote against Obama if you are white. What about the black people that will vote for obama because he is black. That is bullshit too. To top it off he is half white and half black.

But I guess I am racist for saying that then
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    Just because he said it doesn't make it true. Three of the most important swing-states are Pennsylvania, Ohio and Michigan, and these states all have substantial amounts of working-class rural areas where that racism that permeated the Democratic primaries ran rampant according to polls. Is any Democrat, Republican or Independent honestly going to say that there will not be a substantial and possibly game-changing result due to these prejudices? And before someone comes back with saying "well, black people are voting for Obama. That's racist also." The problem with this is that white voters made up 77% of the last presidential electorate, and that percentage will probably not decrease extremely significantly despite Obama's new voters.

problem is, there's no way to counter it. if someone votes for mccain because he doesn't want to vote for a black person........what are you going to do? this election really sucks balls, if you think about it. if obama loses, people are going to scream "it's because he's black!" and if mccain loses, people are going to scream "it's because he had a woman on his ticket!" not everyone will be saying that, but that's what will make the news.

i still haven't fully comitted to either one of them. i might take a break this election, it all depends on how the debates go.
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    I am getting really pissed about hearing about how it is racist to vote against Obama if you are white. What about the black people that will vote for obama because he is black. That is bullshit too. To top it off he is half white and half black.

Like I said, it's not that you're racist if you vote for McCain. It just means you support the killing of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of innocent people.
  • Options
    problem is, there's no way to counter it. if someone votes for mccain because he doesn't want to vote for a black person........what are you going to do? this election really sucks balls, if you think about it. if obama loses, people are going to scream "it's because he's black!" and if mccain loses, people are going to scream "it's because he had a woman on his ticket!" not everyone will be saying that, but that's what will make the news.

i still haven't fully comitted to either one of them. i might take a break this election, it all depends on how the debates go.

Of course, there'll be no way to ever tell for sure. The one way I would be pretty sure of a loss based upon race would be the so-called "Bradley effect", which is named after an African-American mayor of Los Angeles who ran for Governor in California. He was consistently and solidly leading his white opponent, but then found on election he had lost by an equally solid margin. White voters turned out for him far less than expected, and the polls that showed him in a solid lead were all wrong? Doubtful.

If Obama leads by 5+ points, nationally or in swing states, and loses by more than 2 to 3 points, what other explanation would there be? Suddenly the electorate, despite a presumably large voter turnout, decided that he was not equpped enough? There are going to be a fair amount of people who will not publicly state their prejudices but will just be unwilling to vote for a black man. We're only forty years from the end of legislated segregation; is it so surprising that there will still be pervasive racism?
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    godpt3 wrote:

i think it's racist that they are talking about obama at a "brown-bag" lunch. Why do they insert color or race in to everything? It's kinda funny, in everyday conversations I hear more Obama supporters saying race is playing a role than I hear McCain supporters. Once again, some democrats are looking to try to play the victim card somehow and keep it in their back pockets in case they lose.
    At the end of the day both candidates will have people who vote for or against them based on race and a lot more people that vote for or against them based on policy.

_outlaw wrote:
    Like I said, it's not that you're racist if you vote for McCain. It just means you support the killing of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of innocent people.
    last I checked Obama voted for +300 billion dollars for war funding...oh but wait, since he SAYS he's against the war it's ok for him to vote to fund it b/c we only care about what he says, NOT what he does.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

And the Clintons. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

....because I don't.

Are you serious?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081
    chopitdown wrote:
    i think it's racist that they are talking about obama at a "brown-bag" lunch. Why do they insert color or race in to everything? It's kinda funny, in everyday conversations I hear more Obama supporters saying race is playing a role than I hear McCain supporters. Once again, some democrats are looking to try to play the victim card somehow and keep it in their back pockets in case they lose.
    At the end of the day both candidates will have people who vote for or against them based on race and a lot more people that vote for or against them based on policy.

you mean the way the republicans are playing the victim card by refusing to allow their VP to do interviews because the big bad media is being too mean to their delicate female candidate? they've been screaming sexism every chance they get :rolleyes:

of course mccain supporters aren't going to talk about race being an issue. nobody wants to seem racist.

i don't think it's that big a deal, but it is a legitimate concern and the fact that it is uncomfortable for a lot of people to admit or consider doesn't mean racism doesn't exist.
    and like that... he's gone.
  • Options
    RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,831

Obama is running as the Democratic candidate for president. As the black vote tends to go Democratic by huge margins no matter who's at the top of the ticket, I'm not so sure they're just voting for him because he's black.