Options

Too fat to die

godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
edited August 2008 in A Moving Train
Aug 4, 4:17 PM EDT

Ohio inmate says he's too fat for execution

ANDREW WELSH-HUGGINS
Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- A death row inmate scheduled for execution says he's too fat to be put to death, claiming executioners would have trouble finding his veins and that his weight could diminish the effectiveness of one of the lethal injection drugs.

Lawyers for Richard Cooey argue in a federal lawsuit that Cooey - 5-feet-7 and 267 pounds - had poor veins when he faced execution five years ago and the problem has been worsened by weight gain.

The lawsuit, filed Friday in federal court, also says prison officials have had difficulty drawing blood from Cooey for medical procedures.

Cooey, 41, is sentenced to die for raping and murdering two young women in 1986. His execution is scheduled for Oct. 14.

His attorneys say a drug he is taking for migraine headaches could affect the execution process. The drug Topamax, a type of seizure medication, may have created a resistance to thiopental, the drug used to put inmates to sleep before two other lethal drugs are administered, Dr. Mark Heath, a physician hired by the Ohio Public Defender's Office, said in documents filed with the court.

Heath says Cooey's weight, combined with the potential drug resistance, increases the risk he would not be properly anesthetized.

"All of the experts agree if the first drug doesn't work, the execution is going to be excruciating," Cooey's public defender, Kelly Culshaw Schneider, said Monday.

Prison system spokeswoman Andrea Carson and Jim Gravelle, a spokesman for the Ohio Attorney General's Office, both said Monday they hadn't seen the lawsuit and couldn't comment.

Last year, Carson cited the obesity of condemned inmate Christopher Newton as one of the reasons prison officials had difficulty accessing his veins before his execution. Newton was 6 feet tall and weighed 265 pounds.

Two years ago, convicted killer Jeffrey Lundgren was put to death after a federal appeals court rejected his claim that he was at greater risk of experiencing pain and suffering because he was overweight and diabetic.
"If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
—Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Well that makes a pretty good point against the theory of evolution ;)
    (ps: death penalty is useless)
  • Options
    godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    Kann wrote:
    Well that makes a pretty good point against the theory of evolution ;)
    (ps: death penalty is useless)

Makes you wonder how much weight he gained while on death row. Nothing a little slim fast won't solve.
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • Options
    flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    If this stands then they wont be able to execute 60% of Americans.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    We've been buying him too much food during his stay at Hotel American Tax Payer.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    Poor baby, suffering with migraines. I wonder how it might work if they decided to take him OFF that migraine medication? Problem solved.
  • Options
    KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
    Hmmmm... must "mental note to self" .....When I am on death row to eat boxes of Twinkies, Shitloads Garbage Pizza, KFC and Triple Thick Chocolate Malts. \Also skip the Pilates routine in my small cell... I will live forever!!!!
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    I'm sure he couldn't have come up with that one on his own. His lawyers should get the injection for coming up with that load of shite.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Kill him anyway. He raped and murdered people. Fuck if he suffers.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    the man is scared of dying... is that a suprize?

how can this debate be about the death penalty anyway. Surely modern medicine can take a few minutes to adjust the dosages ore the prescription to suit the patient.

What a silly world we live in.

by the way, I consider the death penalty to be childish, ridiculous and vengeful. but that is neither here nor there in this case.
  • Options
    butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    When I read that story I expected him to be like 350-400lbs. 267? C'mon....
  • Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    This guy should be punished the old soviet/russian way: send him to a Gulag in Siberia. Make him work. Problems would be solved pretty soon.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    he wasnt too fat to rape and kill was he?

since he's worried about the medicine not being strong enough to kill him then why not just hack his head off or crush his face with an anvil? if i was the dad of the murdered girl i'd do it using just a stick with some nails hammered through the top of it.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    he wasnt too fat to rape and kill was he?

since he's worried about the medicine not being strong enough to kill him then why not just hack his head off or crush his face with an anvil? if i was the dad of the murdered girl i'd do it using just a stick with some nails hammered through the top of it.

If raped and killed my daughter...heck even just raped, he wouldn't be worrying about the drugs on death row working. He wouldn't be worrying about anything at all.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Time to bring back the firing squad.

As fat as this guy is, they won't miss.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options

Dont forget Ricochet of lovely plump rolls of lard... WTF???? Cant you people be nice to anyone?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,776
    This guy has been ducking and dodging his sentence for YEARS.now that US SUPREME COURT has denied "bullsh**" arguements for a host of CONVICTS let the meteing out of sentence begin.could go china on his ass single bullet to the back of head and charge his parents for the bullet.like it or not the "ultimate " penalty is law for the time being.as a resident TAXPAYING citizen of Ohio I think my tax dollars could be spent in much better ways than feeding this fat f***
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Dont forget Ricochet of lovely plump rolls of lard... WTF???? Cant you people be nice to anyone?

I draw the line at convicted rapists ...
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    I draw the line at convicted rapists ...

Don't forget the murder....
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options

Oh I just quoted myself. I mean.... um.... let's pick on fat people!!!!!! {but thanks for killing my red herring}
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Don't forget the murder....

Ah, c'mon now, be nice to the convicted rapist/murderer...
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Ah, c'mon now, be nice to the convicted rapist/murderer...

Rapist have feeling too! ;)

I can't and all the bleeding heart fucks who have compassion for people like this.

He made a decision to rape and kill a women. That women can no longer make decisions.

Fuck em...
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Place him in the Cell Block where the sexual preference of the inmates are fat, doughy white boys.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    They should do a dry run on Dick Cheney!
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Rapist have feeling too! ;)

I can't and all the bleeding heart fucks who have compassion for people like this.

He made a decision to rape and kill a women. That women can no longer make decisions.

I'm not by any means trying to distract from the horrible crime this guy committed but it is really easy to make statements like the above-be baddass if you like- (especially those of dunkman) when you don't know the guy or his family. No doubt someone will fire back the predictable retort about the father/mother of the murdered girl and how they must feel-fair enough.
    But however we try and ignore it this guy is still human, though we may not like to accpet that. Anything does not go.
  • Options
    I'm not by any means trying to distract from the horrible crime this guy committed but it is really easy to make statements like the above-be baddass if you like- (especially those of dunkman) when you don't know the guy or his family. No doubt someone will fire back the predictable retort about the father/mother of the murdered girl and how they must feel-fair enough.
    But however we try and ignore it this guy is still human, though we may not like to accpet that. Anything does not go.

He's animal. Not human. I'm sorry for the harm this does to his family. But I am not sorry for him.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175

Where there is a rope there is a way? :o

But according to the powers that be, lethal injection is the most humane of the ways to kill people.... There is no humane way to kill someone. Exection is murder, so why don't they just take him outside and fill him with bullets and quit pretending that lethal injection is not as bad, just because they think it's humane. It's still murder. So quit trying to pretty it up.
  • Options
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Where there is a rope there is a way? :o

But according to the powers that be, lethal injection is the most humane of the ways to kill people.... There is no humane way to kill someone. Exection is murder, so why don't they just take him outside and fill him with bullets and quit pretending that lethal injection is not as bad, just because they think it's humane. It's still murder. So quit trying to pretty it up.

Lethal injection saves money on bullets ...
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    'nough testosterone in this thread to fuck some shit up. fuck it lets kill everyone....LET'S ROLL! FUCK YA!!!!
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Lethal injection saves money on bullets ...
    well...

how about a magic trick? i'm going to make this pencil disappear...

pencils are cheap....
  • Options
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    well...

how about a magic trick? i'm going to make this pencil disappear...

pencils are cheap....

Making his pencil disappear is what got the fat rapist in trouble to begin with ...