Options

Dolphin and whale killing in Japan

2»

Comments

• Options
    so the more intelligent an animal the more humane we should treat it?

by that rationale, peace should spontaneously break out across the globe, because nothing on earth is apparently more intelligent than mankind. and yet we treat each other abysmally. we torture but then do not offer the solace of death.

lol Great post.
    "Sarcasm: intellect on the offensive"

"What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact."

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i won't watch the video, i am sorry, but i am already depressed.... i feel bad for any inhumane action.

aren't the japanese skinning cats and dogs for their furs? and aren't we here in the states (like cate said) and other places slaughtering cows and pigs in an AWFUL AWFUL WAY if you saw you may never eat meat again?

its a worldwide problem. makes me want to not eat,. seriously i will take lettuce. i can't feel too guilty hacking into a head of lettuce..
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    kdpjam wrote:
    i won't watch the video, i am sorry, but i am already depressed.... i feel bad for any inhumane action.

aren't the japanese skinning cats and dogs for their furs? and aren't we here in the states (like cate said) and other places slaughtering cows and pigs in an AWFUL AWFUL WAY if you saw you may never eat meat again?

its a worldwide problem. makes me want to not eat,. seriously i will take lettuce. i can't feel too guilty hacking into a head of lettuce..
    The skinning of dogs and cats is a chinese thing. Livestock in NA is slaughtered much more humanely (relative to the dolphins).

I think what people forget is that death is intrinsic to food production. Even agriculture results in death of many animals who are displaced due to deforestation and habitat loss on top of damages due to pesticides and aquifer depletion etc... Its a matter of minimizing loss of life and cruelty.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    The skinning of dogs and cats is a chinese thing. Livestock in NA is slaughtered much more humanely (relative to the dolphins).

I think what people forget is that death is intrinsic to food production. Even agriculture results in death of many animals who are displaced due to deforestation and habitat loss on top of damages due to pesticides and aquifer depletion etc... Its a matter of minimizing loss of life and cruelty.

I'd like to suggest that taking an apple from an apple tree is much the same as ripping the balls from a cow.

Plants are living things too!
    "Sarcasm: intellect on the offensive"

"What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact."

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    I'd like to suggest that taking an apple from an apple tree is much the same as ripping the balls from a cow.

Plants are living things too!

plants produce fruit so animals will spread their seed.
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    This is a PETA vid (I Know) w/ Trent Reznor, but it is VERY shocking. People who can treat animals this way should be in prison.

Garfield and Rover aren't treated to well in China. All in the name of fur.

fuckers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCH2nNWu2Pw

If it's on dogs and cats them I'm not watching it. I saw this 60 min documentary on deep frying cats and dogs in Vietnam. They knocked what were essentially house pets, puppies...cute cats and kittens over the head a few times, and chucked them in boiling oil for a few minutes so they could easily pull all their hair off (i.e. skin them). Then they toss them in huge buckets of water. A lot were boiled and skinned alive and still swimming around in the water trying to breathe not dead. Several minutes later they would pull them out and start chopping them u like chicken. German Sheppard puppies even...

Nasty.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    okay i have now watched that video 6 times. what is it that i am missing?
    i get to the part about the fishermen injuring some of the dolphins with a spear thrust or knife slash, 'because dolphins won't abandon injured family members'. and then i see a dolphin in the back of a truck. is that it? is that the whole video? am i missing something?

Yep, I think you're missing something. The video showed dolphins being hoisted alive out of the water by their tails, being dragged alive along the ground behind a truck, and then having their throats slit and allowed to bleed to death.

It was pretty fucked up. At least sheep and cattle are stunned before they are bled, and they aren't dragged around kicking and screaming by their tails.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    thought so. i was wondering what all the fuss was about. i'll have to watch it at uni next week. and get back to you all.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Nor do I feel like it right now, I have seen this shit before and I have seen Nick Berg's head sawed off, and it is all beyond belief.

Anyone want to agree with me that humankind has the potential to be absolutely fucked?

Reminds me of the Chinese dog farms, where they put them in cages about 8 inches high so they can just lay there, then eventually they skin them alive. Fuckers.

I measure a person by their treatment of animals, if they treat animals without consideration or feeling, they are just a step away.

Don't get me wrong, I have hunted, fished, eat meat, etc. The Indians in North America believed that when they took a kill that the animal's spirit gave itself to them, and that it was part of the natural cycle of life. We don't have that concept in our minds today, seems like all we see are resources for the taking without consideration. And obviously without understanding.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010