Options

Dolphin and whale killing in Japan

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited February 2007 in A Moving Train
I got this in my inbox the other day. This is brutal and absolutely horrific. I don't care what excuse they have - preserving the oceans balance or whatever. Screw 'em very much.

Don't watch this if you have a sensitive soul or stomach. Seriously: don't watch.

http://www.glumbert.com/media/dolphin

Here's a petition you can sign, but I don't know if it has any use or effect.

http://www.petitiononline.com/golfinho/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,505
    mahi is good
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    That was horrible. I feel sick to my stomach after watching that. I can understand that dolphins are fished for but do they have to slit their throats and leave them their to suffer like that.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    macgyver06 wrote:
    mahi is good

That's not mahi mahi though. This is what Mahi Mahi look like.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mauii_Maui.jpg
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    yeah, the treatment of whales and dolphins by the japanese is appauling. It's almost as bad as the canadians and their bashing to death of baby seals by the hundreds of thousands while the mothers look on.
  • Options
    sponger wrote:
    yeah, the treatment of whales and dolphins by the japanese is appauling. It's almost as bad as the canadians and their bashing to death of baby seals by the hundreds of thousands while the mothers look on.
    It is atrocious. I watched the video as well and felt sick to my stomach.

Although I'm not gung ho about the seal hunt I do think its a bit of a different animal. I'd actually be okay with it if not for the method of killing. The cognitive and social abilities and structure of the seal is much different than that of the dolphin. Furthermore, there is a huge overpopulation of seals due to the removal of top predators.
  • Options
    bigmuzzbigmuzz Posts: 299
    the japs are fucking atrocious........we see images of them on aussie tv all the time.

other governments should step in and tell em to stop or we'll kick their ass.

and when they do it in OUR water (australian waters), we should be able to blast them outta the water.

"scientific research" my arse!
    Sydney Wed 8 Nov 2006....

when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll.........

see me @ www.myspace.com/bigmuzz

keep on rockin!.......
  • Options
    bigmuzzbigmuzz Posts: 299
    i just watched that video (my previous post ^^^ was about the whale hunting i didnt realise there was a vid of dolphins), and im not usually a hippy type guy, but that video was shocking!

i think its about time we had another 'hiroshima'......teach these bastards a lesson

WWFD= What Would Flipper Do? :)
    Sydney Wed 8 Nov 2006....

when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll.........

see me @ www.myspace.com/bigmuzz

keep on rockin!.......
  • Options
    sponger wrote:

Every square inch of the Japanese island is inhabited by humans. What are they supposed to eat?
    "Sarcasm: intellect on the offensive"

"What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact."

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    bigmuzz wrote:
    i just watched that video (my previous post ^^^ was about the whale hunting i didnt realise there was a vid of dolphins), and im not usually a hippy type guy, but that video was shocking!

i think its about time we had another 'hiroshima'......teach these bastards a lesson

WWFD= What Would Flipper Do? :)

excuse me?! another hiroshima? and exactly what lesson would we be teaching them?

how do you think your cows are slaughtered so you people can eat your steak? do you think we wait til they're asleep at night and slip them a sleeping draught?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Every square inch of the Japanese island is inhabited by humans.

Bullshit. And if you'd ever looked at a map you'd know that Japan consists of more than one island.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison
  • Options

how do you think your cows are slaughtered so you people can eat your steak? do you think we wait til they're asleep at night and slip them a sleeping draught?

Did you watch the video? This doesn't compare to the way cattle or sheep are slaughtered, at least in Australia.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison
  • Options
    Every square inch of the Japanese island is inhabited by humans. What are they supposed to eat?
    Not true. There is actually quite a bit of agriculture and productive land. They can also import lots of food from surrounding areas. Whale/dolphin meat is a delicacy there and not a staple.
  • Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160

Exactly. If dolphin tasted like prime rib, there would be no issue.
  • Options
    Scubascott wrote:
    Did you watch the video? This doesn't compare to the way cattle or sheep are slaughtered, at least in Australia.

yes, i watched that video 4 times.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    I could care less if they wanna eat dolphin, but I have to say there has to be a more humane way to kill them. I don't buy the "they are smarter and more socially aware" bullshit. Its an animal. Humans eat animals. ALways have, always will. Whats a bullet cost? The japanese can make anything on the cheap, I gotta think a bullet costs a few cents. Even our cows die quickly and painlessly compared to that.

Noone I know ever accused the Japanese culture of being caring, nor humane. That video proves that to me.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    Although the lives of foodstocks might be worse, they are slaughtered more humanely than those dolphins.

Secondly, dolphins are one of the most intelligent and social animals on earth whereas sheep and cows are not (granted pigs are quite intelligent but not on the same scale as dolphins).
  • Options
  • Options
    How is it that people can condone middle easterner's mid-evil customs as "part of their culture", but the Japanese killing Dolphins is a no no?

Im just sayin.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    I could care less if they wanna eat dolphin, but I have to say there has to be a more humane way to kill them. I don't buy the "they are smarter and more socially aware" bullshit. Its an animal. Humans eat animals. ALways have, always will. Whats a bullet cost? The japanese can make anything on the cheap, I gotta think a bullet costs a few cents. Even our cows die quickly and painlessly compared to that.

Noone I know ever accused the Japanese culture of being caring, nor humane. That video proves that to me.
    I think there are lines drawn as to what we eat. Humans are animals too. I think its a mistake to assume otherwise. We do not have to eat certain things and we have choice. I will not eat or sanction the killing of animals that are capable of more advanced cognitive abilities nor those that have highly developed social structures. There is a much different moral dilemma when those factors are taken into consideration.
  • Options
    How is it that people can condone middle easterner's mid-evil customs as "part of their culture", but the Japanese killing Dolphins is a no no?

Im just sayin.
    Which customs are you referring to? I don't condone anything that is cruel.
  • Options
    okay i have now watched that video 6 times. what is it that i am missing?
    i get to the part about the fishermen injuring some of the dolphins with a spear thrust or knife slash, 'because dolphins won't abandon injured family members'. and then i see a dolphin in the back of a truck. is that it? is that the whole video? am i missing something?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    Which customs are you referring to? I don't condone anything that is cruel.

Good to know. Some do.

Hats off to you, for recognizing cruelty for what it is. As I stated, I'd prefer to see those dolphins killed in a more humane manner. I highly doubt they are killing them for sport. In fact, knowing Japanese culinary habits, I'll be EVERY piece of that dolphin is used. They don't waste anything.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    Good to know. Some do.

Hats off to you, for recognizing cruelty for what it is. As I stated, I'd prefer to see those dolphins killed in a more humane manner. I highly doubt they are killing them for sport. In fact, knowing Japanese culinary habits, I'll be EVERY piece of that dolphin is used. They don't waste anything.
    They are not killing them for sport per se, but part of their motivation for killing dolphins is that they threaten fish stocks which they depend on. Similarly to some fishers in North America who shoot sea lions and seals. Dolphin meat is sold as "whale meat" which is a delicacy. They are only allowed to hunt 299 whales per year (one less than the maximum allowed for "scientific research") so they supplement it with dolphin meat.

Unfortunately the Japanese DO waste quite a bit. Most fishers do. They use huge trawlers which catch everything in its path. Therefore there is tons of bycatch and inedible fish/mammals etc that get caught and get dumped. A shrimp boat will often catch and kill 10x more bycatch than shrimp. They left that out of Forrest Gump :).

There are humane ways of killing and hunting and that was neither humane or efficient. I don't understnad why they wouldn't at least just shoot them.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    They are not killing them for sport per se, but part of their motivation for killing dolphins is that they threaten fish stocks which they depend on. Similarly to some fishers in North America who shoot sea lions and seals. Dolphin meat is sold as "whale meat" which is a delicacy. They are only allowed to hunt 299 whales per year (one less than the maximum allowed for "scientific research") so they supplement it with dolphin meat.

Unfortunately the Japanese DO waste quite a bit. Most fishers do. They use huge trawlers which catch everything in its path. Therefore there is tons of bycatch and inedible fish/mammals etc that get caught and get dumped. A shrimp boat will often catch and kill 10x more bycatch than shrimp. They left that out of Forrest Gump :).

There are humane ways of killing and hunting and that was neither humane or efficient. I don't understnad why they wouldn't at least just shoot them.
    Its an animal. Humans eat animals. ALways have, always will. Whats a bullet cost? The japanese can make anything on the cheap, I gotta think a bullet costs a few cents. Even our cows die quickly and painlessly compared to that.

I agree.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    i get to the part about the fishermen injuring some of the dolphins with a spear thrust or knife slash, 'because dolphins won't abandon injured family members'. and then i see a dolphin in the back of a truck. is that it? is that the whole video? am i missing something?
    Slaughter houses typically kill their animals by shocking them before slaughtering them. Almost instantaneously, the animal is unconscious and killed much more quickly. There is also not the distress of being rounded up in the same manner as the dolphins, or harnessed and pulled out by their tails. Dolphins are very intelligent as well so they can understand and sense when they are under attack or when their members of their social group is being killed or removed. Cows, sheep etc do not have that experience. They are coralled and put down without the same distress.

I'm not saying that slaughter houses are perfect or anywhere near it, but they are definitely comparable in the sense of barbary.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    Slaughter houses typically kill their animals by shocking them before slaughtering them. Almost instantaneously, the animal is unconscious and killed much more quickly. There is also not the distress of being rounded up in the same manner as the dolphins, or harnessed and pulled out by their tails. Dolphins are very intelligent as well so they can understand and sense when they are under attack or when their members of their social group is being killed or removed. Cows, sheep etc do not have that experience. They are coralled and put down without the same distress.

I'm not saying that slaughter houses are perfect or anywhere near it, but they are definitely comparable in the sense of barbary.

i just didn't see any actual slaughter is all. i thought that perhaps there was a segment missing from the video i was watching.

and yeah i'd rather be shocked then slaughtered like a cow. that sounds much more preferable.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

You are deffinetley missing something. There almost decapitated and left to bleed to death while they thrash around on the blood red cement floor.

I have a hard time explaing how I feel, that is increnibly in-humane. They are so inteligent. Nothing should die like that ever. I would expect that people better understand the value of life.

For those of you are debating on slaughter of cattle, I live in a rural area where many people survive off ranches. I have seen cattle slaughtered localy with point blank shot of low calliber or often they are struck in the head with a hammer. I don't like either but my oppinion on eating animals does nothing in my comunity but make me an outsider

7/02/06 Denver
    12/02/06 Honolulu
  • Options
    whoa...flipper was definitely flipping out....especially when they started cutting into them all alive with huge machetes. A pretty shitty death. They should have run them through band saws or used guillotines. Or eaten tofu...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    I have a hard time explaing how I feel, that is increnibly in-humane. They are so inteligent. Nothing should die like that ever. I would expect that people better understand the value of life.

so the more intelligent an animal the more humane we should treat it?

by that rationale, peace should spontaneously break out across the globe, because nothing on earth is apparently more intelligent than mankind. and yet we treat each other abysmally. we torture but then do not offer the solace of death.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    This is a PETA vid (I Know) w/ Trent Reznor, but it is VERY shocking. People who can treat animals this way should be in prison.

Garfield and Rover aren't treated to well in China. All in the name of fur.

fuckers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCH2nNWu2Pw