Options

Gore isn't quite as green as he's led the world to believe

binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
By Peter Schweizer
Al Gore has spoken: The world must embrace a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." To do otherwise, he says, will result in a cataclysmic catastrophe. "Humanity is sitting on a ticking time bomb," warns the website for his film, An Inconvenient Truth. "We have just 10 years to avert a major catastrophe that could send our entire planet into a tailspin."
ON DEADLINE: Your thoughts?

Graciously, Gore tells consumers how to change their lives to curb their carbon-gobbling ways: Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs, use a clothesline, drive a hybrid, use renewable energy, dramatically cut back on consumption. Better still, responsible global citizens can follow Gore's example, because, as he readily points out in his speeches, he lives a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." But if Al Gore is the world's role model for ecology, the planet is doomed.

For someone who says the sky is falling, he does very little. He says he recycles and drives a hybrid. And he claims he uses renewable energy credits to offset the pollution he produces when using a private jet to promote his film. (In reality, Paramount Classics, the film's distributor, pays this.)

Public records reveal that as Gore lectures Americans on excessive consumption, he and his wife Tipper live in two properties: a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville, and a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, Va. (He also has a third home in Carthage, Tenn.) For someone rallying the planet to pursue a path of extreme personal sacrifice, Gore requires little from himself.

Then there is the troubling matter of his energy use. In the Washington, D.C., area, utility companies offer wind energy as an alternative to traditional energy. In Nashville, similar programs exist. Utility customers must simply pay a few extra pennies per kilowatt hour, and they can continue living their carbon-neutral lifestyles knowing that they are supporting wind energy. Plenty of businesses and institutions have signed up. Even the Bush administration is using green energy for some federal office buildings, as are thousands of area residents.

But according to public records, there is no evidence that Gore has signed up to use green energy in either of his large residences. When contacted Wednesday, Gore's office confirmed as much but said the Gores were looking into making the switch at both homes. Talk about inconvenient truths.

Gore is not alone. Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean has said, "Global warming is happening, and it threatens our very existence." The DNC website applauds the fact that Gore has "tried to move people to act." Yet, astoundingly, Gore's persuasive powers have failed to convince his own party: The DNC has not signed up to pay an additional two pennies a kilowatt hour to go green. For that matter, neither has the Republican National Committee.

Maybe our very existence isn't threatened.

Gore has held these apocalyptic views about the environment for some time. So why, then, didn't Gore dump his family's large stock holdings in Occidental (Oxy) Petroleum? As executor of his family's trust, over the years Gore has controlled hundreds of thousands of dollars in Oxy stock. Oxy has been mired in controversy over oil drilling in ecologically sensitive areas.

Living carbon-neutral apparently doesn't mean living oil-stock free. Nor does it necessarily mean giving up a mining royalty either.

Humanity might be "sitting on a ticking time bomb," but Gore's home in Carthage is sitting on a zinc mine. Gore receives $20,000 a year in royalties from Pasminco Zinc, which operates a zinc concession on his property. Tennessee has cited the company for adding large quantities of barium, iron and zinc to the nearby Caney Fork River.

The issue here is not simply Gore's hypocrisy; it's a question of credibility. If he genuinely believes the apocalyptic vision he has put forth and calls for radical changes in the way other people live, why hasn't he made any radical change in his life? Giving up the zinc mine or one of his homes is not asking much, given that he wants the rest of us to radically change our lives.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    he's a terrarist... or a cummunist... EVERY damn lunatics liberals must be discredit, they'll ruin this planet, imagine if Harper, Blair, Bin Laden, Asbanshaiahjan (pres of Iran :) )and Bush would be like Gandhi, damn we couldn't get our hamburgers at Mcdonald's after buying our cheap t-shirt in a Wal mart and we wouldn't be able to go around in polluting SUV carying our guns on the backseat, thank God for all these great rights we have...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    he's a terrarist... or a cummunist... EVERY damn lunatics liberals must be discredit, they'll ruin this planet, imagine if Harper, Blair, Bin Laden, Asbanshaiahjan (pres of Iran :) )and Bush would be like Gandhi, damn we couldn't get our hamburgers at Mcdonald's after buying our cheap t-shirt in a Wal mart and we wouldn't be able to go around in polluting SUV carying our guns on the backseat, thank God for all these great rights we have...

amen to that (I carry my guns in the front seat, right in between my elbow and shoulder).
  • Options
    amen to that (I carry my guns in the front seat, right in between my elbow and shoulder).

Fuck yeah, Liberals way of thinking must be abolish, and we should establish a large North American country with a COnservative in charge, jailing all the Liberals in Mexico, USA and Canada, will teach them... where's is my white robe????
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Fuck yeah, Liberals way of thinking must be abolish, and we should establish a large North American country with a COnservative in charge, jailing all the Liberals in Mexico, USA and Canada, will teach them... where's is my white robe????

settle down, take a deep breath and meds if necessary. This isn't about abolishing liberals, it's about exposing a hypocrite! We all know on the train how ALL republicans are hypocrites <wink> but most here take what gore says as Gospel and believe he really IS changing to make a difference. Yeah, whatever. Glad I could help bring this exposure to the train.

now, have a great rest of the evening.
  • Options
    settle down, take a deep breath and meds if necessary. This isn't about abolishing liberals, it's about exposing a hypocrite! We all know on the train how ALL republicans are hypocrites <wink> but most here take what gore says as Gospel and believe he really IS changing to make a difference. Yeah, whatever. Glad I could help bring this exposure to the train.

yeah, Gore is just an hypocrites, they're all buying into Gore gospel, must be stopped !!!! Thanks for bringing this fact around, it's needed around here, damn liberals lunatics can't get around without messing this planet... go israel...

hehehe
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    where's is my white robe????

I don't know if he can. He's looking for his white robe, which can be frustrating when you can't find something. When I forget where I've left my keys or phone, I get frustrated.
  • Options
    I don't know if he can. He's looking for his white robe, which can be frustrating when you can't find something. When I forget where I've left my keys or phone, I get frustrated.

:D and now i'm also looking for my meds... geez guys i'm all in agreement with you, i wanna join the party for once...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    The problems I have with every article I read today is that it has some sort of spin on it. I'm a lib and I don't even want to read something that spins it my way. I want straight facts. Not to say that what you posted isn't true and correct, I'd just rather have the information straight from source so I can see it first hand. Anyway, that is very surprising to me and disheartening.
  • Options
    :D and now i'm also looking for my meds... geez guys i'm all in agreement with you, i wanna join the party for once...

Eh, all we really want is just to have a little fun at someone else's expense. That is probably the number one Republican ideal.
  • Options
    Eh, all we really want is just to have a little fun at someone else's expense. That is probably the number one Republican ideal.

Hehe, ok i find my meds, btw (and seriously) i think Gore is an opportunist, just like Moore, but their point of view is not out of touch with reality, bashing Gore doesn't change the global warming situation, unless you don't believe it'S happening, so Gore is just pointless, bashing him is pointless, only in my opinion of course...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Hehe, ok i find my meds, btw (and seriously) i think Gore is an opportunist, just like Moore, but their point of view is not out of touch with reality, bashing Gore doesn't change the global warming situation, unless you don't believe it'S happening, so Gore is just pointless, bashing him is pointless, only in my opinion of course...

That just popped into my head. Thank you...uh...thankyougrandma...?
  • Options

Agreed. Although I really wasn't debating the Gore topic or any topic here. Just saying stupid shit! I'm in a good mood, so why would I want to debate anybody? Pass the meds around!
  • Options

nononono i'm really sick of hearing from you.

You (and a lot of other conservative radicals) seem to be on a mission to discredit and slander Al Gore.

I've been over why you're a suicidal dumbfuck in at least 2 of your threads and still haven't heard a rubuttle to anything i've said (and been backed about on said threads).

Dont you have better things to do than look up smear-articles about al gore?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I don't think Gore ever tried passing himself off as the greenest guy around. He has presented some information, sensationalized some of it to be sure and made recommendations. I never realized that people had to be living all their recommendations in order to give. Cause if that's the case I recommend the lowering of taxes, so I guess to not be a hypocrite I should stop paying any taxes. Thanks.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options

You (and a lot of other conservative radicals) seem to be on a mission to discredit and slander Al Gore.

I've been over why you're a suicidal dumbfuck in at least 2 of your threads and still haven't heard a rubuttle to anything i've said (and been backed about on said threads).

I wouldn't talk shit about someone on the right trolling for smear-articles unless you talk shit about those on the left who do the same thing.
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    I don't think Gore ever tried passing himself off as the greenest guy around. He has presented some information, sensationalized some of it to be sure and made recommendations. I never realized that people had to be living all their recommendations in order to give. Cause if that's the case I recommend the lowering of taxes, so I guess to not be a hypocrite I should stop paying any taxes. Thanks.

And I recommend working less!
  • Options

I've been over why you're a suicidal dumbfuck

Absolutely big of you! Thanks for the personal attack. Greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    And I recommend working less!

Great idea :D
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Great article binaural. Thanks. Gore can't even lay off the twinkies, who expects him to make REAL sacrifices for the environment? :p
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    Good article! It made me think of the countless personal sacrifices the President's made to help in the Warrrrrr on Terrrarrrr...
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    sure, Gore is a hypocrite on the environment, however...

aren't we all?

I mean, we don't all own stock in oil companies that drive people off their land...

but we love to burn that shit!
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    How does this make his message any less relevant? Who here is not ever hyprocritical?? Anyone? **crickets**
  • Options
    I wouldn't talk shit about someone on the right trolling for smear-articles unless you talk shit about those on the left who do the same thing.
    Apparently my post got deleted for some reason although i had a valid point..

And I fully back the argument about left wing smear journalists but really that has absolutely nothing to do with what i said. They're all douchebags. I was specifically referring to that douchebag binauralsounds and how he's been tackling the apparent problem of Al Gore being the anti christ and how what he and people like him are saying is suicidal. And once again, that makes him a dumbfuck.

Plus just because you don't like Al Gore doesn't mean his point about how we're polluting the hell out of our air and have a dependancy on gasoline and oil comparable to that of a bad heroin addiction is less valid.

Seriously, you can't combat what i said with "well you didn't specifically mention the liberal side of this.." I hate all of them. Jesus that was a stupid reply to what I said.

and here's what i said earlier, again.
    me wrote:

You tell me why he's not a dumbfuck and I'll allow that to be deleted.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    Apparently my post got deleted for some reason although i had a valid point..

And I fully back the argument about left wing smear journalists but really that has absolutely nothing to do with what i said. They're all douchebags. I was specifically referring to that douchebag binauralsounds and how he's been tackling the apparent problem of Al Gore being the anti christ and how what he and people like him are saying is suicidal. And once again, that makes him a dumbfuck.

Plus just because you don't like Al Gore doesn't mean his point about how we're polluting the hell out of our air and have a dependancy on gasoline and oil comparable to that of a bad heroin addiction is less valid.

Seriously, you can't combat what i said with "well you didn't specifically mention the liberal side of this.." I hate all of them. Jesus that was a stupid reply to what I said.

and here's what i said earlier, again.

You tell me why he's not a dumbfuck and I'll allow that to be deleted.

I think you know why it got deleted. You left out a key part where you bashed me with a cute name...
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    anyone wanna talk about the 100 dead in china because of the worst typhoon in recent history?
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    anyone wanna talk about the 100 dead in china because of the worst typhoon in recent history?
    Sure, but if and only if, you can scientifically find the cause and effect between this typhoon and climate change. Or would you ahter talk about the highly normal weather we are having on the west coast and have had all year.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,831
    surferdude wrote:
    Sure, but if and only if, you can scientifically find the cause and effect between this typhoon and climate change. Or would you ahter talk about the highly normal weather we are having on the west coast and have had all year.
    Or the unusual weather we've been having down here recently. And I'm not talking about Katrina and Rita - after all, that's so last year. This summer, we've had a good deal less rainfall than normal. It's only been the last few weeks where we've been getting the kind of expected rainfall we're used to (i.e. just about every damn day). I suppose climate change is global.
  • Options
    I think you know why it got deleted. You left out a key part where you bashed me with a cute name...
    Okay.

So why haven't you refutted anything I've said?

"Make our day"
  • Options
    Okay.

So why haven't you refutted anything I've said?

there is no possible way to even try to refute what you say after your rant/bash on me and sterotyping others here on the train. your mind is set
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    Or the unusual weather we've been having down here recently. And I'm not talking about Katrina and Rita - after all, that's so last year. This summer, we've had a good deal less rainfall than normal. It's only been the last few weeks where we've been getting the kind of expected rainfall we're used to (i.e. just about every damn day). I suppose climate change is global.
    I believe in climate change. But I have to laugh when people attribute a specific event to it.
    ~ Bob Marley