Options

Russian scientist predicts global COOLING!

binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
Ok, WHICH IS IT?????????

Russian scientist predicts global cooling
MOSCOW, Aug. 25 (UPI) -- A Russian scientist predicts a period of global cooling in coming decades, followed by a warmer interval.

Khabibullo Abdusamatov expects a repeat of the period known as the Little Ice Age. During the 16th century, the Baltic Sea froze so hard that hotels were built on the ice for people crossing the sea in coaches.

The Little Ice Age is believed to have contributed to the end of the Norse colony in Greenland, which was founded during an interval of much warmer weather.

Abdusamatov and his colleagues at the Russian Academy of Sciences astronomical observatory said the prediction is based on measurement of solar emissions, Novosti reported. They expect the cooling to begin within a few years and to reach its peak between 2055 and 2060.

"The Kyoto initiatives to save the planet from the greenhouse effect should be put off until better times," he said. "The global temperature maximum has been reached on Earth, and Earth's global temperature will decline to a climatic minimum even without the Kyoto protocol."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    At least no one is talking about Nuclear Winter right now..........I wish that it was cooler. Nature does run in cycles, so this might have some merit.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    I'm just going to continue to pollute my enviroment and wait for rapture...I figure god will sort it out....
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    Ok, WHICH IS IT?????????

Russian scientist predicts global cooling
    MOSCOW, Aug. 25 (UPI) -- A Russian scientist predicts a period of global cooling in coming decades, followed by a warmer interval.

Khabibullo Abdusamatov expects a repeat of the period known as the Little Ice Age. During the 16th century, the Baltic Sea froze so hard that hotels were built on the ice for people crossing the sea in coaches.

The Little Ice Age is believed to have contributed to the end of the Norse colony in Greenland, which was founded during an interval of much warmer weather.

Abdusamatov and his colleagues at the Russian Academy of Sciences astronomical observatory said the prediction is based on measurement of solar emissions, Novosti reported. They expect the cooling to begin within a few years and to reach its peak between 2055 and 2060.

"The Kyoto initiatives to save the planet from the greenhouse effect should be put off until better times," he said. "The global temperature maximum has been reached on Earth, and Earth's global temperature will decline to a climatic minimum even without the Kyoto protocol."
    Ya anytime a renegade scientist comes up with anything contrary to warming, it gets published because it is news. I would think the studies of thousands of scientists who agree that warming will occur over one study by one scientist.

The difference between then and now is that back then there wasn't billions of tons of CO2 pumped into the atmosphere every year and CO2 sinks such as forests were not logged widescale.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    first of all - forecasts associated with climate change have a worldwide cooling as a possible consequence depending on the ocean currents and whether or not a significant desalination will disrupt the current streams ...

secondly, climate change is affecting us right now ... the monsoons and typhoons in asia have killed thousands this year alone ... there is a drought in a friggin' rainforest on vancouver island now ...

killer heat waves this summer in the northern hemisphere ...

articles like this are just a distraction ... there is a global and scientific consensus on this topic ...
  • Options
    Ok, WHICH IS IT?????????

."

So what you are saying is, this one report rubbishes the endless stream of data that proves climate change is real, is going to kill an awful lot of people?

You rubbish ALL evidence that shows this then?

IF so, you need help. IF not, why the fuck post an inane little article like this?
    The world's greatest empires progress through this sequence:From bondage to spiritual faith; spiritual faith to great courage; courage to liberty;liberty to abundance;abundance to selfishness; selfishness to complacency;complacency to apathy;apathy to dependence;dependency back again into bondage
  • Options
    man, you all really get pi$$ed when a scientist refutes your baseless claims.
  • Options

ha! ... just goes to show you aren't reading anything ... cuz dude isn't refuting climate change ... all he's saying is that a decrease in solar output will offset the changes ...

but feel free to comment anyways
  • Options
    1970RR1970RR Posts: 281
    polaris wrote:
    first of all - forecasts associated with climate change have a worldwide cooling as a possible consequence depending on the ocean currents and whether or not a significant desalination will disrupt the current streams ...

secondly, climate change is affecting us right now ... the monsoons and typhoons in asia have killed thousands this year alone ... there is a drought in a friggin' rainforest on vancouver island now ...

killer heat waves this summer in the northern hemisphere ...

articles like this are just a distraction ... there is a global and scientific consensus on this topic ...
    Havent there always been monsoons & typhoons in asia? Isnt it possible that higher death rates may be associated with larger populations in areas that traditionally experience these types of storms. The same can be said about hurricane damage in this country. With more & more high priced development along the coastlines, the cost in both lives and money is going to be higher than it was in previous decades.
  • Options
    1970RR wrote:
    Havent there always been monsoons & typhoons in asia? Isnt it possible that higher death rates may be associated with larger populations in areas that traditionally experience these types of storms. The same can be said about hurricane damage in this country. With more & more high priced development along the coastlines, the cost in both lives and money is going to be higher than it was in previous decades.

no, its because i drive a ford expedition..al gore said so.
  • Options
    1970RR wrote:

absolutely, development and population growth impacts the consequences but the severity of these weather events have long been predicted to increase and we are seeing this ... its not like these villages that are getting swamped haven't been there for years ... its just that the monsoons are more severe ... as with everything else ...

the destruction of natural barriers such as wetlands and mangroves also affects the ability of places to deal with these events as well ... but in any case - we are definitely seeing an increase in extreme weather as the planet tries to compensate for the warming ...
  • Options
    1970RR wrote:
    Yes, there have always been monsoons and typhoons etc, but large storms and extreme weather are directly correlated with warmer temperatures. These tropical storms feed off of warm ocean currents. We have seen the hottest year on record broken every year as temperatures have risen. This has meant there have been a higher abundance of storms and a higher severity which is a source for alarm.
    Yes, higher death rates may have to do with more population, but the a higher intensity and frequency of storms may be a contributing factor.
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741

umm....are you saying this russian scientist speaks the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, but all those "other" scientists are just making things up....

yeah, that makes perfucked sense...
  • Options
    RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,831
    1970RR wrote:
    While population numbers may contribute to the increase in death rates, they don't account for the increased average strength of recent storms.
  • Options
    So what you are saying is, this one report rubbishes the endless stream of data that proves climate change is real, is going to kill an awful lot of people?

IF so, you need help. IF not, why the fuck post an inane little article like this?

What about all the articles in the 70's stating we were heading for global cooling STAT?!?!?!?!?!

Nice that you call an article insane that you disagree with.

Have a nice day!
  • Options
    What about all the articles in the 70's stating we were heading for global cooling STAT?!?!?!?!?!

Nice that you call an article insane that you disagree with.

Have a nice day!
    You must be referring to the TIME issue. Yes, that was one poorly misguided article from a non-scientific publication. This is hardly conclusive evidence. There was no scientific concensus, global cooling was never a scientific "theory" and climate studies were more in their infancies. This hypothesis was quickly rejected. If it was in Science magazine or a similar credible scientific journal than your argument might have teeth.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    You must be referring to the TIME issue. Yes, that was one poorly misguided article from a non-scientific publication. This is hardly conclusive evidence. There was no scientific concensus, global cooling was never a scientific "theory" and climate studies were more in their infancies. This hypothesis was quickly rejected. If it was in Science magazine or a similar credible scientific journal than your argument might have teeth.

No, not the article from TIME. I mean when I was younger, back in those days, all I heard was talk of global cooling especially after the severe harsh winters we had. Then along came global warming, and now, just the tip of global cooling seems to be getting talked about again. Honestly, I think these scientists are winging it. Half say one thing, the other group claim the other philosophy. Who REALLY knows?
  • Options
    No, not the article from TIME. I mean when I was younger, back in those days, all I heard was talk of global cooling especially after the severe harsh winters we had. Then along came global warming, and now, just the tip of global cooling seems to be getting talked about again. Honestly, I think these scientists are winging it. Half say one thing, the other group claim the other philosophy. Who REALLY knows?

the fact that you are comparing what you heard as a kid to the stuff now pretty much indicates that you really haven't done the research on this ... like dude said - there was no global scientific consensus on that and it is pretty much only brought up by people who aren't interested in finding out about climate change ... its like a convenient excuse to ignore what is all around us right now ...
  • Options
    Honestly, I think these scientists are winging it. Half say one thing, the other group claim the other philosophy. Who REALLY knows?
    Actually the debate about whether there is climate change is really over. You'd have a lot of difficulty finding a credible scientist (not employed by oil companies) that disputes that humans are having an effect on the future climate of our planet. Currently there are over 900 peer reviewd scientific journals regarding climate change with 0% of articles that doubt human involvment. That is a bit more than half. Never has there been even close to as strong of a concensus about cooling or any other climate hypothesis
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    http://www.amazon.com/-Weather-Makers-How-Man/dp/0871139359/sr=1-1/qid=1156963181/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-1349286-8468802?ie=UTF8&s=books

I think everyone who has taken the time to post in this thread should read this book. I think some of you might find it very enlightening.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    1970RR wrote:
    Whoa, calm down now. Let's not bring logic into this discussion. AlGore said this is happening so we must believe him. Remember, he invented this magical device we are communicating on so he knows what he is talking about.
  • Options
    How can there be a 100% chance of rain when there's a non-zero chance that the sun will implode and destroy the earth?
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    cutback wrote:
    Whoa, calm down now. Let's not bring logic into this discussion. AlGore said this is happening so we must believe him. Remember, he invented this magical device we are communicating on so he knows what he is talking about.
    This isn't about what Al Gore says. It's about what the overwhelming majority of the scientific community says.

And Gore never claimed to have invented the internet, so it's long past time to put that one to rest :rolleyes:
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    It is fact that storm activity has increased in frequency and severity. it is fact that temperatures are rising which facilitate such storms. It is fact that we emit billions of CO2 into the atmosphere annually. It is fact that CO2 traps insolation which heats the earth. It is a fact that this heating is driving such storms. What don't you understand?

Yes, planning and development along storm prone areas contribute to the amount of death that has occurred. No one has disputed this, but if you want to debate the crux of the issue (warming) than fire away.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Jeez, can't I have a little fun?
  • Options
    ok just a little :)
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412

I would have thought you'd have learned your lesson by now.

Unfortunately, you have not.

Shame.
  • Options
    Global Warming is a misnomer, global warming is in fact the result of increased atmospheric energy which leads to greater temperature extremes in both directions. More vicious blizzards, more vicious hurricanes etc...

However, once the temperature shifts high enough during summer extremes the ice caps begin to melt, this leads to a massive amount of freezing water being added to the oceans, salinity, sea level, and global temperature will be affected most likely on a downturn, a serious downturn.

The fresh water inclusion begins to change prevailing currents, which begins to change prevailing winds and eventually the global weather patterns. The ultimate result of which will ironically be that a global "warming" trend inevitably leads to something resembling an ice age.
  • Options
    Global Warming is a misnomer, global warming is in fact the result of increased atmospheric energy which leads to greater temperature extremes in both directions. More vicious blizzards, more vicious hurricanes etc...

However, once the temperature shifts high enough during summer extremes the ice caps begin to melt, this leads to a massive amount of freezing water being added to the oceans, salinity, sea level, and global temperature will be affected most likely on a downturn, a serious downturn.

The fresh water inclusion begins to change prevailing currents, which begins to change prevailing winds and eventually the global weather patterns. The ultimate result of which will ironically be that a global "warming" trend inevitably leads to something resembling an ice age.
    This is only one of several hypothesis. Other hypothesis conclude that with greater amount of water cover due to rising ocean levels, more insolation will be stored in the oceans which is very efficient at storing heat and redistributing it. There are many different potential outcomes, but there is no question of climate change itself. Its like saying that we know cigerettes cause cancer but we don't know what kind you'll get.
  • Options
    seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,213
    inmytree wrote:
    I'm just going to continue to pollute my enviroment and wait for rapture...I figure god will sort it out....
    fuck you and your naiveity. if there was a god(whic i dont belive there is, and im 13,) then why woul all this shit be happening right now
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Options
    Top scientist's fears for climate
    By Roger Harrabin
    BBC environment analyst

Sea levels could rise by four metres over the next century, he warns

One of America's top scientists has said that the world has already entered a state of dangerous climate change.

In his first broadcast interview as president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, John Holdren told the BBC that the climate was changing much faster than predicted.

"We are not talking anymore about what climate models say might happen in the future.

"We are experiencing dangerous human disruption of the global climate and we're going to experience more," Professor Holdren said.

He emphasised the seriousness of the melting Greenland ice cap, saying that without drastic action the world would experience more heatwaves, wild fires and floods.

He added that if the current pace of change continued, a catastrophic sea level rise of 4m (13ft) this century was within the realm of possibility; much higher than previous forecasts.

To put this in perspective, Professor Holdren pointed out that the melting of the Greenland ice cap, alone, could increase world-wide sea levels by 7m (23ft), swamping many cities.

Safe limits

He blamed President Bush not only for refusing to cut emissions, but also for failing to live up to his rhetoric on harnessing technology to tackle climate change.

"We are not starting to address climate change with the technology we have in hand, and we are not accelerating our investment in energy technology research and development," Professor Holdren observed.

He said research undertaken by Harvard University revealed that US government spending on energy research had not increased since 2001. In order to make any progress, funding for climate technology needed to multiply by three or four times, Professor Holdren warned.

Last year, the UK's Prime Minister, Tony Blair, held a science conference to determine the threshold of dangerous climate change. Delegates concluded that to be relatively certain of keeping the rise below 2C (3.6F), CO2 levels in the atmosphere should not exceed 400 parts per million (ppm) and the highest prudent limit should be 450 ppm.

In October, at an international conference in Mexico, UK environment and energy ministers will try to persuade colleagues from the top 20 most polluting nations to agree on a CO2 stabilisation level.

Professor Holdren expressed doubt that progress could be achieved because if the US administration agreed that there was a need to limit CO2, this would inevitably lead to mandatory caps. President Bush has already rejected that option.

For more than a year, the BBC has invited the US government to give its view on safe levels of CO2. Our request is repeatedly passed between the White House office of the Council on Environmental Quality and the office of the US chief scientist.

To date, we have received no response to questions on this issue that Tony Blair calls the most important in the world. Professor Holdren called on the US Government to back the UK position.

John Holdren, in addition to his presidency of the AAAS, is a director of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, and Professor of Environmental Policy at Harvard University

E-mail this to a friend Printable versio