There goes the Neighborhood

2»

Comments

• Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    I will predict this! If this continues and syria AND Iran become involved (even tho most know iran is funding hezbollah) then the U.S. has no choice but to get involved and WILL.

I agree. Unfortunately, I think it will take mass casualties on the homeland for people to wake up :(
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
  • ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025
    Oh how convenient...
  • Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    mammasan wrote:
    See and here I thought this thread was about a current issue in which we can discuss and express our different opinions. I didn't realize that there was a right and a wrong opinion to have.

It's not a "current issue," it's reality. Israel's right to exist is not recognized by a number of people and unfortunately some heads of state in the region. This isn't up for debate. It's a fact. Speaking as someone who agrees with the idea of nation states, I agree with them defending their right to exist.

If you have a more direct criticism (specifically, of captialism or the existence of nation states, I'd be happy to engage). But I HATE theoretical bullshit.
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
  • OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    I don't mean to be a prick (well I am, AND i've also been sleep deprived) but I'm not sure what you're getting at with your post. If you hate W and think he lied, there are plenty of threads for that, threads that have yet to actually document any lies.

To me, this thread is about differences between people that live in a theoretical world where we can all hold hands and dance around camp fires together and people that understand that power corrupts, and that we are in a dangerous time.

I actually wasn't going after W. The simple question, what would the backlash have been against W if he had not invaded Iraq? I thought PJRVM's post was actually quite thoughtful, and gave W credit for doing the best he can do in a shit situation in the world right now.
  • mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    It's not a "current issue," it's reality. Israel's right to exist is not recognized by a number of people and unfortunately some heads of state in the region. This isn't up for debate. It's a fact. Speaking as someone who agrees with the idea of nation states, I agree with them defending their right to exist.

If you have a more direct criticism (specifically, of captialism or the existence of nation states, I'd be happy to engage). But I HATE theoretical bullshit.

I have no problem with Israel right to exist and I realize the full extend of the situation in the Middle East. Also in caseyou had your eyes closed while viewing the thread it's not about Israel's right to exist it's about the recent attack by Hizbollah and Israel's response. I'm pretty sure that 99.9999999% of the people on this message board believe that Israel has the right to exist.

Lastly if you consider my post theoritical bullshit that you hate then quit responding to them.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Commy wrote:
    on their own? Israel is using US gunships in their war. US tanks, US guns, US bullets, US armor, US jets, US surveillance, US satellites, US support.

Most definetly not on their own.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1990/BCE.htm

ha, glad i scrolled down before replying!
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
    OneLove wrote:
    I actually wasn't going after W. The simple question, what would the backlash have been against W if he had not invaded Iraq? I thought PJRVM's post was actually quite thoughtful, and gave W credit for doing the best he can do in a shit situation in the world right now.

My point about not invading Iraq was that way back when the US did invade Iraq the evidence was seemingly pretty clear that they had WMDs and were involved in 9/11 etc etc. Looking back now it's very easy to critisize.

However, at the time it seemed like invading Iraq was a good thing and many Americans/citizens of the world agreed. Maybe what the US gov't was telling us all about Iraq and Saddam was bullshit, but I for one believe that the powers that be did NOT intentionally mislead us.(this may sound naive, but what I mean is that they didn't knowingly make false statements to get the US people on-side with them).

The unfortunate thing is, there was no time to sit and ponder and dig deeper, as the UN wanted. So the US invaded Iraq. If we had all the same evidence that we did then and did NOT go into Iraq, Bush would have been critisized for that.

My problem with the Iraq war is that it was underestimated. I believe that removing Saddam was a good thing and that it is a "step in the right direction". Unfortunatley it doesn't seem to have made a immediate positive impact, but at least it's a start, I hope. I'm starting to think more and more that there isn't a solution for the problems in that part of the world.
    In conclusion, invading Iraq, not a bad thing, the way it was and is being done, not a good thing.
    So 10,000 words and tons of spelling mistakes later I'm done. Thanks to those that had the patience to read all this.
    Great thread by the way.
    Does this thing have a word limit? haha
  • thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    terrible terrible, bravo to those who are pushing for this, they succeed once again....
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    pjrvm wrote:
    PS. I'm a Canadian, I'm curious as to what our government's reaction will be.

same as the USA, we'll have to get use to this from now on, i think i'll go puke a little...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    Don't have a link yet, but syria now fully and officially supports Hezbollah in it's fight against Israel! Which, of course, Iran supports syria.

Here we go!! Hang on folks!!!!

yes, and we have more important things to do.. Right now we are busy firing bulets, dropping bombs trying to sculpt an Iraq that will vindicate the stupidest move in American history
    mammasan wrote:
    See and here I thought this thread was about a current issue in which we can discuss and express our different opinions. I didn't realize that there was a right and a wrong opinion to have.

no it's not possible anymore, i got blasted for having an opinion and posting it on this message board, it's really pathetic...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    existence.

'the war to end all wars...'

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
    Montreal's Lebanese reacts
    Canadian Press

MONTREAL — Members of Canada's largest expatriate Lebanese community are watching nervously as Israeli air strikes continue to hit their former homeland.

“We've lived through these things before, but for the kids it's a bit more of an experience,” said Sami Abou-Farhat, an air-traffic control supervisor, whose wife and two sons are vacationing with family in a hillside village near Beirut.

Mr. Abou-Farhat flew back to Montreal on Monday, eight hours before Israel bombed Beirut's airport, preventing any more flights from landing or leaving.

His wife was supposed to return Saturday, but now is stranded.

The war has caused havoc at Montreal travel agencies that book Beirut flights for many of the 50,000 people of Lebanese origin who live in Quebec.

“People have started to be afraid, because the situation is not stable back home,” said travel agent Toufic Sleiman.

The war is also a headache for Quebec businesses that transact with Lebanon.

Consumers here will eventually feel the effect of Israel's blockading Lebanese ports and bombing Beirut airport, said Assaad Abdelnou, president of CLIC Import-Export, a Canadian food distribution company based in Laval.

“If this keeps going more than a week, we're going to have problems supplying the supermarket chains here.”

The air strikes prompted opposing protests Friday in front of the Israeli consulate in Montreal.

Members of Palestinian and Lebanese communities denounced the Israel attack as disproportionate.

Israeli supporters countered the Jewish state is just responding to missile attacks and the kidnapping of Israeli soldiers.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060714.wLebanonCan0714/BNStory/Front

I saw the two protests, there was in fact around 20 peoples on the Israel side, and about 200 on the Lebanon side, i guess more protest here are to be expected (today the sky is angry, will have to wait)
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    pjrvm wrote:
    My point about not invading Iraq was that way back when the US did invade Iraq the evidence was seemingly pretty clear that they had WMDs and were involved in 9/11 etc etc. Looking back now it's very easy to critisize.

However, at the time it seemed like invading Iraq was a good thing and many Americans/citizens of the world agreed. Maybe what the US gov't was telling us all about Iraq and Saddam was bullshit, but I for one believe that the powers that be did NOT intentionally mislead us.(this may sound naive, but what I mean is that they didn't knowingly make false statements to get the US people on-side with them).

The unfortunate thing is, there was no time to sit and ponder and dig deeper, as the UN wanted. So the US invaded Iraq. If we had all the same evidence that we did then and did NOT go into Iraq, Bush would have been critisized for that.

My problem with the Iraq war is that it was underestimated. I believe that removing Saddam was a good thing and that it is a "step in the right direction". Unfortunatley it doesn't seem to have made a immediate positive impact, but at least it's a start, I hope. I'm starting to think more and more that there isn't a solution for the problems in that part of the world.
    In conclusion, invading Iraq, not a bad thing, the way it was and is being done, not a good thing.
    So 10,000 words and tons of spelling mistakes later I'm done. Thanks to those that had the patience to read all this.
    Great thread by the way.
    Does this thing have a word limit? haha

Thanks for your response. I would have to agree with the majority of your post, the idea of taking Sadam out makes sense, although from that point forward lots of mistakes (including underestimation pretense and timing) were made.

I live in the DC area, and there are deffinately two schools of thought in the intelligence communitites as to wether W purposly misled or not. But, that truely is another topic for another day. :)