Options

Hold On...shouldn't be "Lost"

2»

Comments

• Options
    And furthermore, I love Hold On and think they would rip the shit out of the song live. Mike would kill that song. He bleeds emotion through his fingers and Hold On is a very emotional song anyway.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    His songs are far from simplistic. He is a drummer and his sense of rhythm shows beautifully in every song he writes.

You Are is amazing JUST because of the guitar effect. The guitar runs through a drum machine which he programmed with a very progressive, syncopated beat. In The Moonlight is one of the most brilliant songs ever and most people, I assume, don't like Evacuation because it is not a straight forward 4/4 rock song. I personally love time signature switches in a song.

By the way, Ed wrote the lyrics for Cropduster and helped with the lyrics for You Are so.....

Your reply proves that his songs ARE over your head and proves that JWBusher was right about you not being a music connoisseur. It also proves that you don't really pay attention to the music of the band that you claim to love.

I am taking nothing away from the actual performances of the songs. The musicianship is great on most PJ songs. I like the fact that PJ can play something in just about any mood and make it great. They play rock and roll and there is a relatively small difference in complexity from their simplest song to their most progressive type tune.

I love time sig shifts. I think the fact that I know they are there proves that I listen with a keener ear than most. Push Me Pull Me is probably my fave PJ song that is off kilter.

I guess Matt should have allowed Ed's name in the credits, so he could take some of the blame, on the lyrics

I just don't care for those songs more than anything else. I'm not taking anything away from Matt Cameron. He's probably PJ's best all around drummer, though not my favorite, he just doesn't rub me the right way as a songwriter, I suppose.
  • Options
    I think whoever doesn't like Hold On has no taste!

i don't know what the fuck makes any of you haters think you are more of a musical connoisseur for not liking it?

delusional 1/2 ass wanna be critics

Whatever, smart guy. Out of all the songs recorded for Ten and Vs, it's clearly the shittiest. The chorus is pathetic. It has a lame, Creed-ish melody and no resolve. The verses are decent, but still nowhere near as good as any of the songs written for Ten. As I said before, Girl and Brother are 10X better, but they were excluded from Lost Dogs because Eddie is embarrassed by the lyrics. We should be talking about those songs instead.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    Whatever, smart guy. Out of all the songs recorded for Ten and Vs, it's clearly the shittiest

I have to agree that it woulda had to be shoehorned in to be on one of those albums. Fits in just fine on Lost Dogs. If they nailed it, it would be good live. If not, it would sound atrocious.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    Whatever, smart guy. Out of all the songs recorded for Ten and Vs, it's clearly the shittiest. The chorus is pathetic. It has a lame, Creed-ish melody and no resolve. The verses are decent, but still nowhere near as good as any of the songs written for Ten. As I said before, Girl and Brother are 10X better, but they were excluded from Lost Dogs because Eddie is embarrassed by the lyrics. We should be talking about those songs instead.

then again that's just your opinion!!! not mine and not everyone else's either.

I like it very much and if you are going to tell me i have no taste or don't know anything about music(like you did to everyone else) you couldn't be more wrong!!
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    I am taking nothing away from the actual performances of the songs. The musicianship is great on most PJ songs. I like the fact that PJ can play something in just about any mood and make it great. They play rock and roll and there is a relatively small difference in complexity from their simplest song to their most progressive type tune.

I love time sig shifts. I think the fact that I know they are there proves that I listen with a keener ear than most. Push Me Pull Me is probably my fave PJ song that is off kilter.

I guess Matt should have allowed Ed's name in the credits, so he could take some of the blame, on the lyrics

I just don't care for those songs more than anything else. I'm not taking anything away from Matt Cameron. He's probably PJ's best all around drummer, though not my favorite, he just doesn't rub me the right way as a songwriter, I suppose.

Looking back at my response, I was a tad mean. I am sorry.

Ed's name is listed in the Riot Act booklet for both of those songs. Push Me , Pull Me is awesome.

I hope the band gets some encouragement from Brendan O'Brien to explore different time signatures on the new album.

P.S. Since you like time signature changes, check out "Thin Green Line" by Hum. The working title of the song was something like "Our drummer on crack playing with time signatures".
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Ed is given credit. I'm basically just talking about the music. I can do without a lot of Ed's lyrics. "Unemployable" is incredible musically, but Ed's lyrics are mostly horrible, which ruins the song for some people. I can see past that though. I'm not a lyric person and Eddie isn't exactly a poet.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    I have to agree that it woulda had to be shoehorned in to be on one of those albums. Fits in just fine on Lost Dogs. If they nailed it, it would be good live. If not, it would sound atrocious.

My guess is that the song is too old and crusty to premiere live 20 years later. It's also pretty out of style. But they did surprise everybody with All Night, which turned out to be a real corker live.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that Ed is given credit. I'm basically just talking about the music. I can do without a lot of Ed's lyrics. "Unemployable" is incredible musically, but Ed's lyrics are mostly horrible, which ruins the song for some people. I can see past that though. I'm not a lyric person and Eddie isn't exactly a poet.

gee since you're such a fucking musical genius why don't you produce the next album?...or better yet...where is your fucking band?why aren't they going platinum and touring the world??

I am a lyrics person and Ed is a great writer! but you wouldn't know nothing about that since "you're not a lyric person"
  • Options
    Oh, and "Push Me Pull Me" does indeed rule.
  • Options
    gee since you're such a fucking musical genius why don't you produce the next album?...or better yet...where is your fucking band?why aren't they going platinum and touring the world??

I am a lyrics person and Ed is a great writer! but you wouldn't know nothing about that since "you're not a lyric person"

Calm down, Sparky. Go get some lube, put on "Hold On", hold up a picture of Scott Stapp, and have yourself a good jerk.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    Calm down, Sparky. Go get some lube, put on "Hold On", hold up a picture of Scott Stapp, and have yourself a good jerk.

you'd like that wouldn't you...Scott!
  • Options
    Looking back at my response, I was a tad mean. I am sorry.

Ed's name is listed in the Riot Act booklet for both of those songs. Push Me , Pull Me is awesome.

I hope the band gets some encouragement from Brendan O'Brien to explore different time signatures on the new album. Being fresh of the ACDC album, I could see the new album having some actual riffs.

P.S. Since you like time signature changes, check out "Thin Green Line" by Hum. The working title of the song was something like "Our drummer on crack playing with time signatures".

No need to apologize.

I was goin by my Itunes, which has MC listed as composer.

I absolutely can't wait to see what Mike and Stone in particular do on the next album. BOb is an amazing guitarist and has really pushed them in the past. Even played on Gremmie.

P.S. I will indeed. On a side note. I find it amazing when bands can blend the crazy time sigs in seamlessly. The Mars Volta and Hella both come to mind as bands that do that tremendously.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    No need to apologize.

I was goin by my Itunes, which has MC listed as composer.

I absolutely can't wait to see what Mike and Stone in particular do on the next album. BOb is an amazing guitarist and has really pushed them in the past. Even played on Gremmie.

P.S. I will indeed. On a side note. I find it amazing when bands can blend the crazy time sigs in seamlessly. The Mars Volta and Hella both come to mind as bands that do that tremendously.

I have never heard of Hella so thank you. More new music for me to check out.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Because I see this thread becomes to little fight, I just wanted to redirect it:)
    I love "Black, red, yellow". And I don't know why "Sad" and "Education" were not included in Binaural. For sure then it would be one of my favourite albums
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    i like all the opinions expressed about this song. when i first posted this, i was a little buzzed up and had the headphones on, with PJ on random play. this came on and i felt i heard the song in a different light. i see how some think it has a "cheese factor" and it almost has the perfect, radio friendly rock formula...which the boys may have recognized and decided against it.

i just had a nostalgia moment of being introduced to PJ back in '93, freshman year of college. i knew all of Ten due to friends, but I had been in a hip hop/rap phase all through high school. so college came, and my roommate's b-day was coming up, so another buddy and I walked 2 miles to the local record store to get VS. on release day as a present. needless to say, I was bombarded with VS. day in/day out, and PJ was my new found musical love. they introduced me to the rock n roll world. i've never left.

not sure why Hold On brings me back to that place, but i like it.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    VERY underrated song.. Would fn love to see this live! Oh how i wish they'd play this for me live :D (preferably on the east coast, because thats where i am stuck for the time being )