Options

Hold On...shouldn't be "Lost"

pjheasds8pjheasds8 Posts: 91
edited November 2008 in The Porch
if the band were to start playing another rare b-side next tour(ex. "all night"), I would love for them to rip this one. I can't stop blasting it, even though it is a sorta "downer" song. the drums are banging, the riff is nasty, the melody is flowing all over the place, and there are subtle harmonies. IMO...this would have been a bad-ass single back during the vs. era, but they didn't use it cause they knew it was too good.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i have to agree with you 100%!!

this has become one of my top 5 songs! i absolutely LOVE IT!!

we need to get them to play it someday!
  • Options
    I don't get it. I think it's easily the weakest outtake from the Ten period, if not the weakest song in general. I think people only like it because it's something new to them. Just A Girl and Brother (w/ vocals) blow it away, and nobody ever talks about those because they weren't on Lost Dogs.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Girl & Brother are awesome...but "Hold On" is a great song. "girl" is prob my fave of the 3, but my recording of it is terrible.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    "girl" is prob my fave of the 3, but my recording of it is terrible.

There's a perfect copy on Gremmie from the "Anything In Between" boot.
  • Options
    G ForceG Force Posts: 1,392
    that song is so good. Much better than all night IMO. I'd love it if they'd start playing it.
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I would much rather hear In the Moonlight.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    I love this song! One of the best on Lost Dogs.
    Nathan
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It's a catchy song, but kind of a generic rock ballad. Might as well been written by Bon Jovi or Creed.
  • Options
    It's a catchy song, but kind of a generic rock ballad. Might as well been written by Bon Jovi or Creed.
    dude...
    Nathan
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    I don't get it. I think it's easily the weakest outtake from the Ten period, if not the weakest song in general. I think people only like it because it's something new to them. Just A Girl and Brother (w/ vocals) blow it away, and nobody ever talks about those because they weren't on Lost Dogs.

It's OK guys..not everyone has good taste...i mean we have to be able to point our fingers and laugh at someone...and this just happens to be the 2 of you!

HA HA!!!
  • Options
    I'm holding on for "Hold On".

I hope I'm there when they play it live!
    Hold On
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Hold On kicks major butt! Probably one of the most underrated songs in the PJ catalog.
  • Options
    *edit*
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    I would much rather hear In the Moonlight.

I'd rather hear *any* Matt song than a piece of cheese like "Hold On".
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    JWBusher wrote:
    I'd rather hear *any* Matt song than a piece of cheese like "Hold On".

I honestly can't think of one Matt song that is even remotely as good as Hold On. Weirder?? Sure.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    I honestly can't think of one Matt song that is even remotely as good as Hold On. Weirder?? Sure.

You've GOT to be kidding.
  • Options
    It's OK guys..not everyone has good taste...i mean we have to be able to point our fingers and laugh at someone...and this just happens to be the 2 of you!

That's right. Not everybody likes bad Pearl Jam outtakes that sound like Creed or Bon Jovi at their worst. You obviously do.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    You've GOT to be kidding.

You Are and In the Moonlight are among the worst songs PJ has ever had the displeasure of recording. It's cool Matt gets a song on every album, but they are usually ill fitting.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    You Are and In the Moonlight are among the worst songs PJ has ever had the displeasure of recording. It's cool Matt gets a song on every album, but they are usually ill fitting.

His songs are obviously over your head then, which doesn't surprise me, since most Pearl Jam fans aren't exactly conisseurs of good music.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    bad Pearl Jam outtakes that sound like Creed or Bon Jovi at their worst.

they should ban your ass for uttering such nonsense!!

Creed or Bon Jovi! i know what you need for Christmas..one of THESE!! :D:D
    JWBusher wrote:
    most Pearl Jam fans aren't exactly conisseurs of good music.

now you're just being an asshole..and this is how you spell connoisseurs correctly. ;):D
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    His songs are obviously over your head then, which doesn't surprise me, since most Pearl Jam fans aren't exactly conisseurs of good music.

Over my head? His songs are pretty simple, musically and his lyrics are nothing amazing.

You Are relies on a guitar effect for its hook. Lyrics are pretty crap
    In The Moonlight is based on a pretty generic riff, with a extra beat added here and there.
    Evacuation is notoriously the worst song on Binaural

Cropduster is one of the best he has written, musically. The lyrics aren't that special.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,695
    I don't have any strong connection towards "Hold On".
    It's reminds me alot of "Just A Girl".

I'm really glad they didn't take this direction with the Vs. Album.

The production of "Hold On" has always bothered me. It's just soaked in reverb; which drives me fucking crazy. I don't understand why someone would produce Pearl Jam this way. It's always baffled me especially on the Ten album which suffers from much of the same wanker production.

My biggest issue with this song is Dave's drumming.
    His overuse of symbol splashes and weak ass fills...kill the song.

Dave A was never my favorite drummer...and "Hold On" just epitomizes everything that I despised about his drumming.

Anyways...They've definately written better songs and I can see why "Hold On" wasn't considered for an album.
  • Options
    Dave Krusen plays on "Hold On" and it's from the Ten sessions, not Vs.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Over my head? His songs are pretty simple, musically and his lyrics are nothing amazing.

In The Moonlight is based on a pretty generic riff, with a extra beat added here and there.

In The Moonlight is generic, and Hold On isn't? Hahahahah! You're too funny!

And your Evacuation comment further proves my point that most Pearl Jam fans have no taste.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    Dave Krusen plays on "Hold On" and it's from the Ten sessions, not Vs.

Really?
    Wow...didn't know that.

Well
    Then shame on Dave Krusen...no wonder he didn't last.

Probably means the song was produced by Rick "Reverb King" Parashar too.

No wonder "Hold On" sounds like shit.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    most Pearl Jam fans have no taste.

listen MR.Stapp....i told you not to show your ugly mug around here anymore!!
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

His songs are far from simplistic. He is a drummer and his sense of rhythm shows beautifully in every song he writes.
    DewieCox wrote:

Cropduster is one of the best he has written, musically. The lyrics aren't that special.

You Are is amazing JUST because of the guitar effect. The guitar runs through a drum machine which he programmed with a very progressive, syncopated beat. In The Moonlight is one of the most brilliant songs ever and most people, I assume, don't like Evacuation because it is not a straight forward 4/4 rock song. I personally love time signature switches in a song.

By the way, Ed wrote the lyrics for Cropduster and helped with the lyrics for You Are so.....

Your reply proves that his songs ARE over your head and proves that JWBusher was right about you not being a music connoisseur. It also proves that you don't really pay attention to the music of the band that you claim to love.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    I knew that someone would eventually come along and inject some sense and truth. I find people's comments about Matt's songwriting to be hilarious in their ignorance.
  • Options
    I think whoever doesn't like Hold On has no taste!

i don't know what the fuck makes any of you haters think you are more of a musical connoisseur for not liking it?

delusional 1/2 ass wanna be critics
  • Options
    I know I'm in the minority here but "Evacuation" is Fucking Awesome!! I love the time signature switch as well.

I'd take "Evacuation"over "Hold On" any day of the week.

Especially live.