Options

Bono = hypocrite

2»

Comments

• Options
    melodiousmelodious Posts: 1,719
    MCG wrote:
    This isn't news, Ed the Sock has been saying this for years. U2 has been using tax exemptions for years. I always thought it was funny that he would knock on gov't doors asking for more money but avoided paying taxes to the same gov't. .
    would you not say that bono continues to be an asset to the global community? it's not hypocrytical to avoid paying high taxes when he can use that money to divert it to good causes..and if he's not contribuitng to tax base; then it deprives gov't exploitation powers...i say go out and make a bunch of money and use as much gov't dollarz that in which you maybe eligible for...our u.s. gov't isn't a bad thing; human's running the show are greedmongers: human beings have become so "me" oriented. every public agency runs off a budget, and at the end of each fiscal year, admininstrators have to spend money uselessly, so that they can justify budget increase for following years. bono is no different as human being as far as being hypocritical than myself...or the average jo/josephine.
    But Bono's charitable acts aren't about HIS money they are about HIS time... even though he always seems to have a lot more time around the release of U2 records
    now take this observation and pay real close to media...for example history channel prior to iraqi stuff...all of a sudden there's no more history documentaries except for war stories....or pre-arnie dayz: didn't ya notice that while cali's energy crisis was fallen victim to bad publicity for gov at the time--gee i forgot his name---that all channels aired arnie movies? i saw through it, but even people who i deem highly intelligent, voted to have that gov aced out of office to bring mexterminator in. they were distracted by a shiny object; hollywood's glimmer and glitz.as opposed to choosing someone who knew demographics of rural lands of cali.....

stumbling about.....;)
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:
    both articles dont seem to provide any real evidence, or support any backup for their claims

but it wouldnt surprise me one bit
    the hat thing is true. i saw it on Vh1 :p

I'm not a big U2 fan and i think if Bono could clone himself he'd fuck his clone, but he does a lot of good.

We're better off with him around.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    El_Kabong wrote:
    Under the Irish government's last budget, artists and authors can get up to 250,000 euros ($325,000) in income tax free, but after that they pay like everyone else.

It looks like others have addressed this already, but...

Well getting rid of that tax exemption wouldn't hurt U2, but there are a lot of other artists (and authors) who don't live so easily, and they don't have regular paychecks, so I think the exemption is good, especially for authors who may take a few years to write their next book.

So good for U2 for using their fame to speak out on it.

Its kinda like the Metallica/Napster things. Sure Metallica are major assholes and its easy to pick on them, but they had a point. Just because Metallica can afford to have people burn some of their CDs, a lot of struggling musicians were like "FUCK!" - and it ruined them. Artists should control their music. And what's worse is ever since the Napster/Kazza/mp3 smorgasbord took off, all the cool local records stores have closed and the music scene has gone to shit - its ALL corporate bullshit, promoted and cross-promoted every which way to make a buck. I think if Lars has suicide bombed Napster we would have all won. Or maybe if record stores hadn't overpriced their CDs.... well, the temptation to burn a CD that costs less than $1 is still overpowering. I still buy (most) of my CDs though!!! I always buy the CDs of artists I respect.