Options

'US, Israel planned Middle East war'

El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
http://www.news24.com/News24/World/Middle_East/0,,2-10-2075_1981865,00.html

New York - The US government was closely involved in the planning of Israel's military operations against Islamic militant group Hezbollah even before the July 12 kidnapping of two Israeli soldiers, The New Yorker magazine reported in its latest issue.

The kidnapping triggered a month-long Israeli operation in South Lebanon that is expected to come to an end on Monday.

But Pulitzer Prize-winning US journalist Seymour Hersh writes that President George W Bush and vice president Dick Cheney were convinced that a successful Israeli bombing campaign against Hezbollah could ease Israel's security concerns and also serve as a prelude to a potential US pre-emptive attack to destroy Iran's nuclear installations.

Citing an unnamed Middle East expert with knowledge of the current thinking of the Israeli and US governments, Israel had devised a plan for attacking Hezbollah - and shared it with Bush administration officials - well before the July 12 kidnappings.

The expert added that the White House had several reasons for supporting a bombing campaign, the report said.

If there was to be a military option against Iran, it had to get rid of the weapons Hezbollah could use in a potential retaliation against Israel, Hersh writes.

Citing a US government consultant with close ties to Israel, Hersh also reports that earlier this summer, before the Hezbollah kidnappings, several Israeli officials visited Washington "to get a green light" for a bombing operation following a Hezbollah provocation, and "to find out how much the United States would bear".

"The Israelis told us it would be a cheap war with many benefits," the magazine quotes the consultant as saying. "Why oppose it? We'll be able to hunt down and bomb missiles, tunnels, and bunkers from the air. It would be a demo for Iran."

US government officials have denied the charges.

Nonetheless, Hersh writes, a former senior intelligence official says some officers serving with the Joint Chiefs of Staff remain deeply concerned that the administration will have a far more positive assessment of the air campaign than they should.

"There is no way that (defence secretary Donald) Rumsfeld and Cheney will draw the right conclusion about this," the report quotes the former official as saying. "When the smoke clears, they'll say it was a success, and they'll draw reinforcement for their plan to attack Iran."
standin above the crowd
he had a voice that was strong and loud and
i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
eager to identify with
someone above the crowd
someone who seemed to feel the same
someone prepared to lead the way
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    "US government officials have denied the charges."

No way? :confused:
  • Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    no wonder israel has fucked up, they asked the americans for help....
  • Options
    wow, so the country that had been getting attacked by missles had a plan to fight back. what assholes.
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Thanks for the newsflash. Also in the news today, the sun is bright, the sky is blue, and dogs have hair. Weather at ten.

Have you posted any articles in regards to Iran's involevment in all this yet KabonG?
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    Have you posted any articles in regards to Iran's involevment in all this yet KabonG?

BBC news has reported that Israel had asked the white house for permission to attack lebenon months before the two soldiers were kidnapped. the americans saw an attack on lebenon/hezbullah integral in order to justify an attack on iran.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Thanks for the newsflash. Also in the news today, the sun is bright, the sky is blue, and dogs have hair. Weather at ten.

he is not iranian, he is an american...so i think he has every right to question HIS countries invlovement in this current cluster fuck we call the "mid-east crisis"
  • Options
    US govt. probably have pre-made plans of invasion for every country in the world, including Canada...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    US govt. probably have pre-made plans of invasion for every country in the world, including Canada...
    It's sad but you're probably right. And I'm not one bit surprised by Sy Hersh's report. With the administration seemingly hell-bent on bombing (possibly nuking) Iran then I had already thought that this may have been a build up to attack Iran.
  • Options
    Do you mean to tell me that a nation we grant $2b in aid to every year and have extremely close political ties with shared information with us about a desire to destroy a terrorist group and their plans to do so?????? I'm completely shocked. Also, apparently such an event can literally erase a kidnapping of Israeli soldiers. This information has changed my life.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    It's sad but you're probably right. And I'm not one bit surprised by Sy Hersh's report. With the administration seemingly hell-bent on bombing (possibly nuking) Iran then I had already thought that this may have been a build up to attack Iran.
    Same as just about every country with a military. It's called being prepared.
    Much like if you have kids you tell them what to do in a case of emergency doesn't mean you're gonn burn your house down.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Big F*cking Deal. Israel is one of the US chief Allies in that region. If together they can dispose of Sadamm Hussein, the Iranian cocksucker, Hezbollah, Al Qaeda, Hamas and any one else that Frank Drebbin smacked around in the opening scene of the Naked Gun, or at least hurt them, I say start banging the drums and get it on
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    robbierobbie Posts: 882
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    Big F*cking Deal. Israel is one of the US chief Allies in that region. If together they can dispose of Sadamm Hussein, the Iranian cocksucker, Hezbollah, Al Qaeda, Hamas and any one else that Frank Drebbin smacked around in the opening scene of the Naked Gun, or at least hurt them, I say start banging the drums and get it on

you better be writing this on your way back from the recruitment office.
  • Options
    shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    What I really can't understand is how come few people here are not wondering about this well-writen article's lack of FACTS.

As I said many times before, I bet US, Europe (UN members) and Israel were watching Hizbullah's actions over the years (remember? we had a "preview" in 2003). If this attack was planed in advance then the outcome would have become different (=not too many civilians would have been killed & Hizbullah would have been destroyed). And just for the record, even our radical-left wing people are not buying that story.

What is it with you guys and conspiracy things? Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...
  • Options
    robbie wrote:

Don't exactly follow you. To be in favor of the American military attacking Islamic-Fascism with force would mean I would have to strap on an AK-47 myself? Are you that f*cking naive? Shall I now ask you if Islamic Fascism has taken a loved one you held dear from your life? or should I put it in the ever-intelligent and well-thought out way that you did?

you better not have a lost a family member on 9/11.

Regards friend
    I'll keep taking punches
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    What is it with you guys and conspiracy things? Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...
    But sometimes that cigar has been in and out of an intern's vagina and led to impeachment. :D We've got to keep an eye out, that's why we ask questions, shiraz. Nothing wrong with asking questions....and demanding answers.
  • Options
    But sometimes that cigar has been in and out of an intern's vagina and led to impeachment. :D We've got to keep an eye out, that's why we ask questions, shiraz. Nothing wrong with asking questions....and demanding answers.

Is that not the reason we are considered "free" to ask and think as we may....BTW not talking about the cigar :)
  • Options

some of you don't ask questions and wait for the answers, but asking and then assuming what the answers are according to their previous agenda. Others doing worse and don't even ask questions, just automaticly assuming things regardless the reality.
  • Options
    robbierobbie Posts: 882
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    Don't exactly follow you. To be in favor of the American military attacking Islamic-Fascism with force would mean I would have to strap on an AK-47 myself? Are you that f*cking naive? Shall I now ask you if Islamic Fascism has taken a loved one you held dear from your life? or should I put it in the ever-intelligent and well-thought out way that you did?

you better not have a lost a family member on 9/11.

Regards friend

the only loved one i lost on 9/11 is my civil liberties, and it was not the terrorists who are taking them away. and as for not following me, you said something about banging the drums and getting it on. how perverse is it for you to cheer on a war you are to afraid to take part in? you wanna bang the drums of war while it is other people fighting in that war. you have such a stiffy for bloodshed, strap on the gear and catch some bullets so my 7 year old son does not have to in 11 years. there are plenty of lives at risk that are in the military that want nothing to do with your war while you sit behind a keyboard and jerk off to the thought of it.
  • Options
    Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    robbie wrote:
    the only loved one i lost on 9/11 is my civil liberties

Which one did you lose?
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
  • Options
    robbie wrote:
    the only loved one i lost on 9/11 is my civil liberties, and it was not the terrorists who are taking them away. and as for not following me, you said something about banging the drums and getting it on. how perverse is it for you to cheer on a war you are to afraid to take part in? you wanna bang the drums of war while it is other people fighting in that war. you have such a stiffy for bloodshed, strap on the gear and catch some bullets so my 7 year old son does not have to in 11 years. there are plenty of lives at risk that are in the military that want nothing to do with your war while you sit behind a keyboard and jerk off to the thought of it.

How you can pretend to know me or anyone else based on a few sentences on a Pearl Jam politcal forum is disturbing. You just used the words " cheer on a war you are afraid to take part in " dumb statement. Re-Think your position on that one. You know nothing about me. Your mind is obviously closed. I have no stiffy for bloodshed - but I do have a stiffy for this country. Whether you want to believe it or not, what attacked this country was not merely a tall man with a long beard. The roots are deeper than that.
    I believe that our military should've been unleashed on the Middle East , yes.
    War is not pretty, I have children about the age of the son you speak of, and understand all of the risks that go along with it. But, my personal view is that war is necessary at times. If you disagree with that, more power to you.
    I would not judge your position or pretend to know what brought you to your conclusions. I would only ask that you extend the same courtesy -
    I'll keep taking punches
  • Options
    yotan18yotan18 Posts: 103
    robbie wrote:

bang... hit you DC garden. :)

if you were sent to the war, maybe you'd have a different take on the subject? all i see are so-called brave warriors, who can't even lead the battle and fight upfront with the troops.
    "The Day of Redemption is at hand! Repent, and thou shall be saved..." - A. Ventura

"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie" - T. Montana
    ---
    "Yeah i know... sounds stupid." Aldrin said.

#18 INC forever
  • Options
    OpenOpen Posts: 792
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    How you can pretend to know me or anyone else based on a few sentences on a Pearl Jam politcal forum is disturbing. You just used the words " cheer on a war you are afraid to take part in " dumb statement. Re-Think your position on that one. You know nothing about me. Your mind is obviously closed. I have no stiffy for bloodshed - but I do have a stiffy for this country. Whether you want to believe it or not, what attacked this country was not merely a tall man with a long beard. The roots are deeper than that.
    I believe that our military should've been unleashed on the Middle East , yes.
    War is not pretty, I have children about the age of the son you speak of, and understand all of the risks that go along with it. But, my personal view is that war is necessary at times. If you disagree with that, more power to you.
    I would not judge your position or pretend to know what brought you to your conclusions. I would only ask that you extend the same courtesy -

Just because you love this country does it mean it can do no wrong? WHY are the roots deeper? All this bs you guys spew about "hating war, but its necessary" is a compete cop out..realize this...when you say war is necessary it means that we are more open to attack. There are extremist in the middle east who are saying exactly what you are about us. You and all the other warmongers go dig a hole and unleash yourselves on each other...leave the rest of us alone....
  • Options
    Open wrote:
    Just because you love this country does it mean it can do no wrong? WHY are the roots deeper? All this bs you guys spew about "hating war, but its necessary" is a compete cop out..realize this...when you say war is necessary it means that we are more open to attack. There are extremist in the middle east who are saying exactly what you are about us. You and all the other warmongers go dig a hole and unleash yourselves on each other...leave the rest of us alone....

Of course I don't believe this country does no wrong. Why would you even suggest that. But I would take issue with ANYONE who tries to spew this
    " We were to blame for 9/11 " attitude. I'm only expressing that I see things very differently. I have not insulted, I have not judged you or anyone else who disagrees.

If you don't think war was necessary after that day, then you and I are not only of different views, but we live on different planets.

Of course there are extremists who are saying things similar. Are you seriously
    under the impression that they're only saying these things because of the war in Iraq? You've gotta be kidding me. That is what I meant when saying the roots are deeper. All of these terror plots that have been foiled recently, for example. You think they're happening because we invaded Sadamm Hussein. I sure don't. War was declared on this country by Bin Laden, quite some time ago. Since then, I've seen embassies exploded, Navy ships attacked, Trade centers bombed, and then of course that lovely day when innocent people on airplanes were f*cking killed and then those airplanes
    were driven into places containing my fellow Americans. So don't talk to me
    about how we're to blame, how we're the ones looking for war, how we've screwed things up in the world. I can't stomach that crap. Those fuckers picked the wrong country to " test " that day. Sorry, but I do believe what we've done since was necessary. But that's me.
    I'll keep taking punches
  • Options
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    Of course I don't believe this country does no wrong. Why would you even suggest that. But I would take issue with ANYONE who tries to spew this
    " We were to blame for 9/11 " attitude. I'm only expressing that I see things very differently. I have not insulted, I have not judged you or anyone else who disagrees.

If you don't think war was necessary after that day, then you and I are not only of different views, but we live on different planets.

under the impression that they're only saying these things because of the war in Iraq? You've gotta be kidding me. That is what I meant when saying the roots are deeper. All of these terror plots that have been foiled recently, for example. You think they're happening because we invaded Sadamm Hussein. I sure don't. War was declared on this country by Bin Laden, quite some time ago. Since then, I've seen embassies exploded, Navy ships attacked, Trade centers bombed, and then of course that lovely day when innocent people on airplanes were f*cking killed and then those airplanes
    about how we're to blame, how we're the ones looking for war, how we've screwed things up in the world. I can't stomach that crap. Those fuckers picked the wrong country to " test " that day. Sorry, but I do believe what we've done since was necessary. But that's me.

War will never beat these guys.....all it is doing is opening yourself for attack.....the logic of "lets bring the war to them" also applies to them as well...the US is at war with Fundanutalsim and that means you are fair game in this whole debacle....wish I hate to say it sucks....for yourself and me....

I think that Fundanutalism can be beat through non-military means....just no one wants to try it....Al Queda was hated in the Muslim World pre-9/11...take a look at Algeria and Egypt where they were responsible for hundreds of MUSLIM deaths for going against the faith....and you know I need to say this an extremist Fundanutalist is a dangerous man....the Muslim world in these nations were adamanet against these guys....these coutries rose out of their own terrorist attacks to create better countries and it was done through non-Western interference....

The West needs to win the people....you and I can easily view this war, from our point of view, as neccessary to save us...which is a fair statement....however there are millions of people over there who want what we take for granted....and all they see is death and destruction brought to them...from the people that their enemy (yes Fundanutalists are the enemy to the majority) is fighting...what do you do really?

The teachings of these nuts start to make sense to the common man...the power of the Fundanutalist is their power of saying "we told you they were the devil"..."this carbage was not rampant with Saddam...the US brings you death"...etc. They win the common man by emphasing your mistakes....they win the common man by instuting fear of you guys....the US needs to remove those mis-conceptions IMHO by chagning their tune in Iraq....and to do this will take drastic actions and that includes major re-building money for Iraq and withdrawl of troops...I believe the US can make something good about of something very bad...first they must admit mistake and tackle this problem more methodically...and that is through the people....

They need to be won over through non-military means...the common man...the majority want peace....to think of it any different is unfair...just the same as saying all Republicans are war mongerers...a few yes...the majority no......we all desire stability...now if the USA could do something different...for example how much money was spent on Iraq...$300 billion...instead of using weapons why not help the common Iraqi with that cash.....imagine the possibilites for that country with that much money invested in it and not through weapons...the majority would love you guys....they topple a ruthless dictator then they improve our society to help us....but no they toppled a dictator and choose a different route one built on a nationilistict agenda (which is another tool for the Fund-a-nuts)...one that brought the war to the comman man's home...they lost the common people and that is what is losing you this war.....sorry for the ramble just my thoughts on the ordeal....
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    shiraz wrote:
    some of you don't ask questions and wait for the answers, but asking and then assuming what the answers are according to their previous agenda. Others doing worse and don't even ask questions, just automaticly assuming things regardless the reality.

And you are never guilty of this are you Shiraz. You approach every piece of information that comes your way critically, and you check all of it's sources with a fine toothed comb in order to attempt to verify beyond reasonable doubt it's authenticity!
    Or is it that you simply cast doubt upon anything which happens to conflict with your Pro-Israeli-U.S government view of the world??
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    And you are never guilty of this are you Shiraz. You approach every piece of information that comes your way critically, and you check all of it's sources with a fine toothed comb in order to attempt to verify beyond reasonable doubt it's authenticity!
    Or is it that you simply cast doubt upon anything which happens to conflict with your Pro-Israeli-U.S government view of the world??

No, I'm actually not "guilty". You, on the other hand... Well, as someone who usually jumps to conclusions such as "Shiraz is a fraud", you are a perfect example of what I was talking about.
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    What I really can't understand is how come few people here are not wondering about this well-writen article's lack of FACTS.

As I said many times before, I bet US, Europe (UN members) and Israel were watching Hizbullah's actions over the years (remember? we had a "preview" in 2003). If this attack was planed in advance then the outcome would have become different (=not too many civilians would have been killed & Hizbullah would have been destroyed). And just for the record, even our radical-left wing people are not buying that story.

There are no facts. Seymore Hersh never uses facts. If he did, he'd be out of a job. I had the misfortune of interning for him in New York last summer. The cocksucker even lied about paying me a stipend at the end. His only claim to fame is starting Americans for Peace Now and Israel Policy Forum, two organizations that became obsolete when Arafat blew up negotiations in 2000. No one listens to what he has to say unless they are inclined to indict Israel for existing.

If he isn't a noxious self-hating Jew, I don't know what is.
    But people here obviously like what he says, so on MT it becomes fact.
    Anti Zionism is not Anti Semitism

Most antizionists are antisemites
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    El_Kabong wrote:
    http://www.news24.com/News24/World/Middle_East/0,,2-10-2075_1981865,00.html

New York - The US government was closely involved in the planning of Israel's military operations against Islamic militant group Hezbollah even before the July 12 kidnapping of two Israeli soldiers, The New Yorker magazine reported in its latest issue.

The kidnapping triggered a month-long Israeli operation in South Lebanon that is expected to come to an end on Monday.

But Pulitzer Prize-winning US journalist Seymour Hersh writes that President George W Bush and vice president Dick Cheney were convinced that a successful Israeli bombing campaign against Hezbollah could ease Israel's security concerns and also serve as a prelude to a potential US pre-emptive attack to destroy Iran's nuclear installations.

Citing an unnamed Middle East expert with knowledge of the current thinking of the Israeli and US governments, Israel had devised a plan for attacking Hezbollah - and shared it with Bush administration officials - well before the July 12 kidnappings.

The expert added that the White House had several reasons for supporting a bombing campaign, the report said.

If there was to be a military option against Iran, it had to get rid of the weapons Hezbollah could use in a potential retaliation against Israel, Hersh writes.

Citing a US government consultant with close ties to Israel, Hersh also reports that earlier this summer, before the Hezbollah kidnappings, several Israeli officials visited Washington "to get a green light" for a bombing operation following a Hezbollah provocation, and "to find out how much the United States would bear".

"The Israelis told us it would be a cheap war with many benefits," the magazine quotes the consultant as saying. "Why oppose it? We'll be able to hunt down and bomb missiles, tunnels, and bunkers from the air. It would be a demo for Iran."

US government officials have denied the charges.

Nonetheless, Hersh writes, a former senior intelligence official says some officers serving with the Joint Chiefs of Staff remain deeply concerned that the administration will have a far more positive assessment of the air campaign than they should.

"There is no way that (defence secretary Donald) Rumsfeld and Cheney will draw the right conclusion about this," the report quotes the former official as saying. "When the smoke clears, they'll say it was a success, and they'll draw reinforcement for their plan to attack Iran."

Thanks for the info. Its so funny...when you present facts about an issue that don't agree with some people's preconceived notions of a cetain set of events they ignore them-even if the source is the New York Times, the most wideley read newspaper in the world.
  • Options
    OpenOpen Posts: 792
    DCGARDEN wrote:

How was it necessary, what did it accomplish, how are we safer? Do you only care for American lives? Over 10x as many Iraqi civilians (innocent) have been killled as a result of that bitch Bushs actions. Do you not care about that? That means there are as 10x as many people who feel it is right to come kill us, just like you feel "what we've done is necessary". Bin Ladin is still out there and it will be a matter of time before he kills more people. "Those fuckers" how come their still out running about; while the people of Iraq are suffering from our "necessary" actions?