Options

Gas prices...

inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
edited September 2008 in A Moving Train
are falling...

http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/08/news/economy/gas_prices/index.htm?eref=rss_topstories

Yeah, I understand the whole "supply and demand" thing...however, we've had a couple of hurricanes hit the gulf, Ike is raging and heading toward the gulf, Iran is saber rattling ( http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Iran_announces_war_games_plans_0907.html ), Nigeria still has rebels fighting ( http://africa.reuters.com/top/news/usnBAN130128.htm l)...

which are all common excuses for gas prices to fluctuate...yet, they continue to fall...I just find it interesting...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    the supercollider is going off tommorrow and killing everyone anyway, so our benevolent masters decided we should have cheap gas for a week.
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    MrSmith wrote:
    the supercollider is going off tommorrow and killing everyone anyway, so our benevolent masters decided we should have cheap gas for a week.

lol, that was nice of them
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    spyguyspyguy Posts: 613
    inmytree wrote:
    are falling...

http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/08/news/economy/gas_prices/index.htm?eref=rss_topstories

Yeah, I understand the whole "supply and demand" thing...however, we've had a couple of hurricanes hit the gulf, Ike is raging and heading toward the gulf, Iran is saber rattling ( http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Iran_announces_war_games_plans_0907.html ), Nigeria still has rebels fighting ( http://africa.reuters.com/top/news/usnBAN130128.htm l)...

which are all common excuses for gas prices to fluctuate...yet, they continue to fall...I just find it interesting...

they continue to fall because oil is falling. the hurricanes have not been as bad as originally thought although Ike still can be.

all comes down to supply and demand. demand has nosedived
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:

So what you are saying is that I should only get a few gallons on the way home and not fill up?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    I was going to start a thread about gas prices and the correlation between low prices and presidential elections.

They always seem to drop around this time, am I right on this?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    spyguy wrote:
    they continue to fall because oil is falling. the hurricanes have not been as bad as originally thought although Ike still can be.

all comes down to supply and demand. demand has nosedived

I thought demand in China and India offset the lower demand in the US...?

I just find it interesting, with all the common excuses still in place, prices are falling...

last summer, when a hurricane was forecast, oil and gas shot up...now it's "they weren't that bad"....
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    *cough* end of summer *cough* :rolleyes:
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    *cough* end of summer *cough* :rolleyes:

he he...I forgot about this excuse...yeah, I guess my commute to work will be shorter now that summer is over...I just read the grocery store is now closer to my house...

oddly enough, the lines to drop off kids to school this fall are still long...

weird..
  • Options
    speculators are selling their holdings back to the market. Prices will continue to fall. Supply and Demand are only part of the equation.
    the Minions
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Gas prices always fall after Labor Day. Don't worry, they'll shoot right back up in the spring.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    OpenOpen Posts: 792
  • Options
    spyguyspyguy Posts: 613
    inmytree wrote:

I just find it interesting, with all the common excuses still in place, prices are falling...

last summer, when a hurricane was forecast, oil and gas shot up...now it's "they weren't that bad"....

I'm not sure what you are getting at. you think there is some massive conspiracy going on?
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    spyguy wrote:
    I'm not sure what you are getting at. you think there is some massive conspiracy going on?

yes ;)
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    inmytree wrote:

now that the Olympics are over, China's oil demands have fallen:

http://www.forbes.com/reuters/feeds/reuters/2008/09/05/2008-09-05T145725Z_01_L5628989_RTRIDST_0_MARKETS-OIL-UPDATE-6.html

So when demand is down with the two biggest consumers - US and China - prices fall.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    g under p wrote:
    I was going to start a thread about gas prices and the correlation between low prices and presidential elections.

Peace

You know, I will agree with you on this one.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace
    Don't they drop in the fall of every year? Meaning it's a seasonal variation. It seems you Americans drive more in summer with vacationing and whatnot. Furthermore gas prices arent decided only by what happens in the US.

It is my understanding of how these markets work that they price in the "usual dangers" well in advance which drives up prices, and when it wasn't as bad as expected, prices fall again. Drop in american consumption also brings the price down, although that is somewhat offset by increases elsewhere (China, India). But even if the overall consumption goes up, the price can fall on it not going up as much as expected. (since the bad news are priced in already) This happens with stocks as well when a company presents good results, but the market was expecting even better. (they will then probably had a generous increase in advance of the results, which are corrected a bit down again).

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Don't they drop in the fall of every year? Meaning it's a seasonal variation. It seems you Americans drive more in summer with vacationing and whatnot. Furthermore gas prices arent decided only by what happens in the US.

It is my understanding of how these markets work that they price in the "usual dangers" well in advance which drives up prices, and when it wasn't as bad as expected, prices fall again. Drop in american consumption also brings the price down, although that is somewhat offset by increases elsewhere (China, India). But even if the overall consumption goes up, the price can fall on it not going up as much as expected. (since the bad news are priced in already) This happens with stocks as well when a company presents good results, but the market was expecting even better. (they will then probably had a generous increase in advance of the results, which are corrected a bit down again).

Peace
    Dan

Indeed, seasonal fuels are part of it too, the special blends that are required for emissions in each city.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    It might be a total coincidence ... but prices began falling at about the time Bush began to call for more drilling. It's almost as if the mere threat of more oil on the market has scared prices down a bit.

I'm just sayin' ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Paid .65 cents a litre today.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    I realized since I moved I have no idea about gas prices anymore. Used to drive 17 miles each way to work and fill up about 5-6 times a month. 
    Now I live less than a mile, and fill up less than once a month. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    This will sound like a commercial but it real is true: About a year ago, I stopped buying the cheaper gas and started using Chevron.  Since then, the car is running better and even though the gas is higher prices, what I save in service cost in the long run should save me money.  I believe it already has, and it's running cleaner and smoother too. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    I think I paid $1.53 yesterday. Lowest I can remember seeing it since before the Iraq war.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    i paid 1.69 on Sunday. I think that is the least i have paid in 10 years. with as much driving as I do for work and no way to be reimbursed for gas/milage, i will definitely take it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    i paid 1.69 on Sunday. I think that is the least i have paid in 10 years. with as much driving as I do for work and no way to be reimbursed for gas/milage, i will definitely take it.
    its not a tax write of?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    mickeyrat said:
    its not a tax write of?
    no. i am not a 1099 employee.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    Just paid $1.37 with supermarket discount
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    Saw on the news this morning $1.07 at gas station in the southern burbs of the Twins cities. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    99 cents here
  • Options
    99 cents here

Welcome, Time traveler!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Dang, and I thought $2.50 was low!  But still, at that rate, and getting 42 to 43 MPG, and considering we are only driving maybe 14 miles per  week, I won't need to be gassing up any time soon.