Options

Pearl Jam at REM show in Philly

13»

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    Brez wrote:
    What is so special about Johnny Marr. People make such a big fuss over him. It can't just be because he's the guitarist for Modest Mouse... someone please educate me.

well he happened to be the guitarist of the smiths .....and he rocks
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Barely AliveBarely Alive Posts: 1,271
    ThatGirl and I were there. Thought either Vedderwood or Bubba would have posted this after we text them, but a Chrom thread is always good. Hope you and Mo are well.

Show was great and Mike and Ed onstage together was just a cool sight. Very surreal. Ed in glasses and a hat was odd looking somehow though.

I was thinking he'd come out for Man on the Moon but no dice, but still got a song out of him.

As we were leaving some woman in front of us says to her husband, "and who was that Pearl Jam guy and what was the big deal about him?"

There were some real hardcore REM fans around us that didn't seem too phased or clued into the significance at all unfortunately, but we and a handful of others made up for their lack of response.

Mann has always been one of my favorite venues and we kept saying all night how great a PJ show would be there. It doesn't seat as many but so what. Make it one of the odd man out/one-timer shows sometime.

REM had been on my list of bands to see and they did not disappoint. The sound was great and Mike's voice is solid.

He thankfully made a note to the audience that there wouldnt be any political spiel as he got that out before the show elsewhere, which was nice. He seemed genuine and appreciative and just happy to have been doing what he does so well.

It was enjoyable and I'd recommend anyone who hasnt seent them to catch them atleast once.

As for Johnny Marr...yeah people always think he's just the Modest guitarist. I remember when ThatGirl and I went to the Portland show in 06 and some people around us were asking the same thing. All Ed had to say was "...of Smiths fame" and then it was ok by everybody. Pretty cool item on the resume when it allows you to play with PJ and REM.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    As for Johnny Marr...yeah people always think he's just the Modest guitarist. I remember when ThatGirl and I went to the Portland show in 06 and some people around us were asking the same thing. All Ed had to say was "...of Smiths fame" and then it was ok by everybody. Pretty cool item on the resume when it allows you to play with PJ and REM.
    I'd never heard of him at ALL til the guy I was travelling with said he saw Johnny Marr... I had to ask 'who?' :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    DakotaDakota Posts: 8
    I was hoping that PJ might show up at REM last night. It was awesome when Michael Stipe said Pearl Jam was in the building. I knew that meant Ed would make an appearance...It was great!!! I would never have recognizied Ed, he was incognito!!! I was jumping out of my seat. I can't wait till tonights's show.....I hope I win the lottery and get in the front row. Hey, a girl can dream can't she
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,951
    http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=201669

R.E.M.
    2008/06/18
    Mann Music Center
    Philadelphia, PA

Belkin TuneTalk Stereo->iPod->Sound Studio->AIFF->xACT->FLAC

01 These Days
    02 Living Well is the Best Revenge
    03 What's the Frequency Kenneth?
    04 Wolves, Lower
    05 Man Sized Wreath
    06 Turn You Inside Out
    07 Imitation of Life
    08 Staring Down the Barrel of the Middle Distance
    09 Ignoreland
    10 Bad Day
    11 Hollow Man
    12 The Great Beyond
    13 Stage Banter
    14 Houston
    15 Electrolite
    16 Walk Unafraid
    17 The One I Love
    18 Find the River
    19 Let Me In
    20 Departure
    21 Life and How to Live It
    22 Orange Crush
    23 I'm Gonna DJ
    24 Encore Break
    25 Supernatural Superserious
    26 Losing My Religion
    27 Begin the Begin (with Eddie Vedder)
    28 Fall on Me (with Johnny Marr)
    29 Stage Banter and Band Intros
    30 Man on the Moon (with Johnny Marr)

This was a great show! The band was full of energy and you could tell that they were having a ton of fun tonight!

Surprises included Staring Down the Barrel of the Middle Distance (first time ever played in front of a "real" concert audience), Turn You Inside Out (first time played on the Accelerate tour) and a guest appearance by Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam. Quite an exciting night, to say the least!

I hope you enjoy this show! I will also be recording NYC tonight. Stay tuned!

Thanks!
  • Options
    I'd never heard of him at ALL til the guy I was travelling with said he saw Johnny Marr... I had to ask 'who?' :o

Yeah, funny too bc after Portland show the gf and I were walking back behind the venue to head to what was supposed to be a meet 'n greet with Mike that never happened, and I think we were trying to figure which street we should walk up, and then a sidestage door 3 feet from us opens and out walks this smaller guy with dark hair with a backpack and a skateboard and walks right by us. It took a second before I was like oh damn that was Johnny Marr. She goes "who?" Then a quick reminder and it clicked. Guess he just happened to be in Portland and made a call or showed up and next thing he's on stage borrowing a guitar to join in. He apparently has it like that. Good for him.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    I can't believe you won't be at Hartford or Mansfields. Come on you have to make it up there! YOu're close enough :-) The old Ed solo LA crew will be there...
    For some reason this post made me think of this
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    demetrios wrote:

R.E.M.
    2008/06/18
    Mann Music Center
    Philadelphia, PA

01 These Days
    04 Wolves, Lower
    05 Man Sized Wreath
    06 Turn You Inside Out
    07 Imitation of Life
    09 Ignoreland
    10 Bad Day
    11 Hollow Man
    12 The Great Beyond
    13 Stage Banter
    14 Houston
    15 Electrolite
    16 Walk Unafraid
    17 The One I Love
    18 Find the River
    19 Let Me In
    20 Departure
    22 Orange Crush
    23 I'm Gonna DJ
    24 Encore Break
    26 Losing My Religion

This was a great show! The band was full of energy and you could tell that they were having a ton of fun tonight!

Surprises included Staring Down the Barrel of the Middle Distance (first time ever played in front of a "real" concert audience), Turn You Inside Out (first time played on the Accelerate tour) and a guest appearance by Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam. Quite an exciting night, to say the least!

Thanks!

just reading this setlist blows me away..hope to catch a live REM show someday!!...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    Here you go - a real low quality crap version of the video... had to compress the sh*t out of it to cut it down to size for upload. A far better quality version will be uploaded later... have much to do now.

Enjoy and will post a link to a better version later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdtkOaMiPcs
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy

• Options
    I posted this on another thread but cool pics of Eddie/Michael from last night on Preston and Steve.com.

About 9 more hours....
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    demetrios wrote:

R.E.M.
    2008/06/18
    Mann Music Center
    Philadelphia, PA

01 These Days
    04 Wolves, Lower
    05 Man Sized Wreath
    06 Turn You Inside Out
    07 Imitation of Life
    09 Ignoreland
    10 Bad Day
    11 Hollow Man
    12 The Great Beyond
    13 Stage Banter
    14 Houston
    15 Electrolite
    16 Walk Unafraid
    17 The One I Love
    18 Find the River
    19 Let Me In
    20 Departure
    22 Orange Crush
    23 I'm Gonna DJ
    24 Encore Break
    26 Losing My Religion

Thanks!

This is an AMAZING setlist. Do yourself a favor: download the torrent, listen to Begin the Begin (obviously), but enjoy the rest of the songs, too. At the very least, have a listen to Ignoreland, Let Me In, and Walk Unafraid -- those songs kick much ass live!
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    what were they doing at REM? :D
    clocking in the 8th day of concert in a row :p

great time, bought lawn tickets but ended up 16 rows from the stage (long story). Always hoped PJ might be there, so when Stipe said they were in the house, was pretty certain Ed would show up on stage.

Good show, fun...but man, I hope the crowd tonight has more energy than the one last night.. Stipe even commented on it.
  • Options
    PrlJmr10PrlJmr10 Posts: 130
    When I saw REM perform that song @ at Langerado, I thought "how cool would it be for Ed to be here singing this..."

LUCKY BASTARDS!!! :)
    PEARL JAM - It's what's for breakfast

"Promise only what you can deliver. Then deliver more than you promise."
    --Anonymous

The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them. -Patrick Henry, revolutionary (1736-1799)
  • Options
    Wow...Pearl Jam is obviously my favourite band but R.E.M. has been moving quickly up the ranks for me lately. I've loved them for many years and Accelerate was like a breath of fresh air. Finally got to see them for the first time in Toronto on the 8th of this month and they fucking blew me away. There's just something magical about Michael Stipe and his stage presence, not to mention his golden voice, that just awes me to no end. But Michael AND Ed together on stage?! And for THAT song?! That seems more like a fantasy than something that actually happened, but congrats to anyone here who was lucky enough to witness that.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    clocking in the 8th day of concert in a row :p

great time, bought lawn tickets but ended up 16 rows from the stage (long story). Always hoped PJ might be there, so when Stipe said they were in the house, was pretty certain Ed would show up on stage.

Good show, fun...but man, I hope the crowd tonight has more energy than the one last night.. Stipe even commented on it.

Hey! Karen right?! My gf and I (surfboard shirt of course) met you and your hubby outside of the restrooms last night. Cool meeting you guys and talking all things PJ.

Thought you were just a lurker? :D
  • Options
    Junior ZBJunior ZB Posts: 57
    2005: Curitiba, São Paulo I, São Paulo II.
    2008: New York I, New York II, Hartford, Mansfield I, Mansfield II.
    2011: East Troy I, East Troy II, São Paulo I, São Paulo II, Rio de Janeiro, Curitiba, Porto Alegre, Buenos Aires.
    2012: Arras, Prague, Berlin I, Berlin II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen.