Options

Top 100 Albums of the 1990's

AntreaperAntreaper Posts: 256
edited October 2008 in The Porch
"It's as comfortable as can be. But when you're on stage playing with Neil, well -- it's one thing to be at the zoo and watch an animal pace around its cage. It's another to be in the cage with him." -Eddie Vedder
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    about 80% of that list is correct.

Did you really think Ten - Yield should be on there or something as the 1st 5 albums?
    NERDS!
  • Options
    I can't believe Sponge's Rotting Pinata isn't on there.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    A ridiculous list not to include Ten, one of the most influential CD's of a generation. Also, U2's Auchtung Baby easily deserves the Top 10. Pitchfork seems to be run by geeks who feel cool for liking bands that nobody has heard of.
  • Options
    Pitchfork seems to be run by geeks who feel cool for liking bands that nobody has heard of.[/quote]

I know people like that!

If I knew where it was I would take you there. There's much more than this
  • Options
    It's all relative.. I don't even look at "top" lists when it comes to music as an art anymore.

Hell if I had to make a top 5 list it would change from minute to minute.
  • Options
    i dont care where it would be on that list, but its completely insane to not have any PJ on there.
    PJ is still bigger than 90% of those bands.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    What sort of faux-emo hipster poseur wrote this list?

#2 is MBV's Loveless?

and

#4 is Neutral Milk Hotel ???

SERIOUSLY?

I mean those may be novel albums,
    but they surely are not truly #2 and #4 worthy.

WTF?

And don't even get me fucking started on Ok Computer.
    Lets just get the circle jerk started.

The least they could have done is been good little "hipsters" and put Slanted & Enchanted in the #1 spot.
    :(

From the #9 spot on the list, i thought this quote summed up this reviewers suck ass POV:
    My beleaguered "generation" and I may attempt to protect ourselves from emotional harm (and our grim inheritance) by stockpiling absurdities, but we will probably still go prostrate during a moment of disarming simplicity, pathetic mortality, or genuine romance.

My beleaguered generation?
    Which fucking generation is that?
    I hope to god it isn't mine.
    Grow a fucking cock you over emotional ninny.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    I've realized lately that bands and songs that I used to think sucked in the 90's are way more tolerable now...compared to most of the shit that is played on the radio these days. Maybe i'm just getting old....no, it IS shit.

If I knew where it was I would take you there. There's much more than this
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    What sort of faux-emo hipster poseur wrote this list?

#2 is MBV's Loveless?

and

#4 is Neutral Milk Hotel ???

SERIOUSLY?

I mean those may be novel albums,
    but they surely are not truly #2 and #4 worthy.

WTF?

And don't even get me fucking started on Ok Computer.
    Lets just get the circle jerk started.

The least they could have done is been good little "hipsters" and put Slanted & Enchanted in the #1 spot.
    :(

From the #9 spot on the list, i thought this quote summed up this reviewers suck ass POV:

My beleaguered generation?
    Which fucking generation is that?
    I hope to god it isn't mine.
    Grow a fucking cock you over emotional ninny.

Well don't hold back, tell us how you really feel ;)

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    about 80% of that list is correct.

Did you really think Ten - Yield should be on there or something as the 1st 5 albums?
    absolutely
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    I have seen this list before.

It is a terrible list!

The following bands have two or more albums on the list!

Seems to be a conspiracy against anything vaguely "Seattle"...except for Nirvana of course.

A tribe called quest
    Elliot Smith
    Pavement
    Massive Attack
    Radiohead
    Nirvana
    Bjork
    Built to Spill
    Pixies
    Weezer
    The Breeders
    Dr Dre (I think)
    Wilco
    Yo La Tengo
    The Jesus Lizard
    Aphex Twin

Somehow I think the 90's would have survived and got along just fine without half of these artists!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    Pitchfork sucks monkey balls. Yes, I have video to prove it.
  • Options
    Wow this list is ridiculous. I know pitchfork is about being cool and hip and all that but i think they have become so involved in their own "indie hipness" that they have completely forgot reality. I think its great that they shout out Wu-Tang and and Outkast and all that but come on. Weezer, Radiohead, and Nirvana are on the list and for good reason...but some of this is just stupid.

No Pearl Jam
    No Alice in Chains
    No Soundgarden
    No Temple of the Dog
    No Mudhoney
    No Janes Addiction
    No STP
    No U2
    No Oasis

There is no fucking way that My Bloody Valentine, Pavement, and Neutral Milk Hotel have been more influential and put out consistently good albums like any of these bands. Just because these indie albums sold 40,000 copies it makes them great. Sorry that 13 million people love pearl jam. I really think Pitchfork does this just to piss people off
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • Options
    Wow this list is ridiculous. I know pitchfork is about being cool and hip and all that but i think they have become so involved in their own "indie hipness" that they have completely forgot reality. I think its great that they shout out Wu-Tang and and Outkast and all that but come on. Weezer, Radiohead, and Nirvana are on the list and for good reason...but some of this is just stupid.

No Pearl Jam
    No Alice in Chains
    No Soundgarden
    No Temple of the Dog
    No Mudhoney
    No Janes Addiction
    No STP
    No U2
    No Oasis

There is no fucking way that My Bloody Valentine, Pavement, and Neutral Milk Hotel have been more influential and put out consistently good albums like any of these bands. Just because these indie albums sold 40,000 copies it makes them great. Sorry that 13 million people love pearl jam. I really think Pitchfork does this just to piss people off

Well I'd say no Oasis is a good thing :p

My Bloody Valentine and Pavement were both very very influential to the 90's sound though.

I thought that the Breeders were on there too much as well as bands like Pulp and whatnot.

I can't argue the Radiohead at number 1 though. There are many records that could've had that spot just as well.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Antreaper wrote:

haha i was about to bash this guy for not putting ok computer on the list.... then i got to number one.
  • Options
    potluckpotluck Posts: 170
    built to spill has two in the top 30, massive attack have two as well. Not a credible list.
    06/24/1998 SD
    10/12/2000 KS
    06/13/2003 IA
    06/15/2003 ND
    06/16/2003 Mn
    06/21/2003 WI
    10/05/2004 MO
    10/08/2004 FL
    09/08/2005 MB
    09/09/2005 ON
    05/17/2006 IL
    05/19/2006 MI
    07/02/2006 CO
    08/05/2007 Lolla
    06/14/2008 B'roo

Kill Fascists.... or at least make them realize what they are.
  • Options

My Bloody Valentine and Pavement were both very very influential to the 90's sound though.

I thought that the Breeders were on there too much as well as bands like Pulp and whatnot.

I can't argue the Radiohead at number 1 though. There are many records that could've had that spot just as well.

Haha Oasis is an aquired taste

Even though those bands were influential and their albums were good (I love pavement) i don't think they are top 10 albums. Especially with all the bands i mentioned left off

Now radiohead deserves to be in the top 5 and possibly number one, i can't argue that.
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    good to see lonesome crowded west on the list.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    hey, it's pitchfork, what do you expect?

thanks for posting though, that was interesting. there are some great albums on there that i'd totally forgotten about.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    3 of my top 5 are in that list
    1 of them i expected to be a lot higher up!
    jeff Buckley at 69 is a bit low!

OK computer deserves a spot up where it is

the lack of any PJ is very surprising
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    the lack of any PJ is very surprising

really? its that surprising? i dont think so and thats no reflection on pj.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    really? its that surprising? i dont think so and thats no reflection on pj.

Yep I am very surprised. Ten was landmark album and is generally recognised as such by most astute judges, not because of how many units it shifted but because it had a huge impact on the musical landscape at the time. I think that Vs and possibly No Code or Yield should also be somewhere in there.

If Massive Attack, Pavement and Elliott Smith can manage more than one in there, Pearl Jam deserves 3.

And

What about

AIC
    Soundgarden
    FNM
    RHCP
    NIN

It seems anything that shifted platinum sales is overlooked...unless you died during 90's of course :rolleyes:
    *****no time to be void or save up on life,
    you got to spend it all...*****
  • Options
    MapleTea wrote:
    Yep I am very surprised. Ten was landmark album and is generally recognised as such by most astute judges, not because of how many units it shifted but because it had a huge impact on the musical landscape at the time. I think that Vs and possibly No Code or Yield should also be somewhere in there.

If Massive Attack, Pavement and Elliott Smith can manage more than one in there, Pearl Jam deserves 3.

And

What about

AIC
    Soundgarden
    FNM
    RHCP
    NIN

It seems anything that shifted platinum sales is overlooked...unless you died during 90's of course :rolleyes:

i said my comment wasnt a reflection on pj. and who the fuck knows how this list was put together and how many bottles were involved. i put zero stock in lists like this.
    and ill just ignore the possible dig at nirvana. and maybe jeff buckley.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    i said my comment wasnt a reflection on pj. and who the fuck knows how this list was put together and how many bottles were involved. i put zero stock in lists like this.
    and ill just ignore the possible dig at nirvana. and maybe jeff buckley.
    exactly. besides, anybody who pays any attention to pitchfork would be MORE surprised to see pearl jam ON the list, than off it. no rage debut? c'mon.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    Here is some missing

Pearl Jam - Ten,Vrs,Vitalogy,No Code,Yield
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Blood sugar sex magic
    NIN - Pretty hate machine
    Alice in Chains - Unplugged
    Snoop Dog - Doggy style
    Miami 92,WPB 2008,Tampa 2008,MSG 2008#1, EV Baltimore 2009 Night#2,EV ATL 2009, Seattle 2009, Jazzfest 2010, WM3 Arkansas 2010,Bridge School 2010
  • Options
    Here is some missing

Pearl Jam - Ten,Vrs,Vitalogy,No Code,Yield
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Blood sugar sex magic
    NIN - Pretty hate machine
    Alice in Chains - Unplugged
    Snoop Dog - Doggy style

Pretty Hate Machine is from the good old 80's
    NERDS!
  • Options
    catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081

that's kind of indicative of pitchfork though. no oasis, but lots of pulp. no pearl jam, lots of pavement. pitchfork is incredibly lame and its writers and readers are all douchebags. this list isn't the best albums of the 90s... it's the "cool person's pretend list of the best albums of the 90s so you can avoid having to admit to liking anything popular and to appear more edgy and informed than your college roommate who was out getting laid and drunk while you sat home and masturbated to fugazi posters."
    and like that... he's gone.
  • Options
    MohabMohab Posts: 310
    Some of the is list is ok, some just plain sad. The top ten is a disgrace, even though I dont know if pj would crack it. Superuknown, down on the upside, tiny music, purple (critics cant seem to get over core) dirt, aics self titled, either or nirvana or aics unplugged and maybe even a tool ablum though i am no fan wood be good bets anywhere on that list, hell blood sugar was more distinct than a lot of it.

good thing millions are keeping it real in there hearts, when was the las ttime you met someone who gave a shit about half these columbia house listen to 2 x then pawners. fuck weezers first album and siamese is just ok, not even as good as a single cd of mellon chloies best and gish had better songs just not as many good ones overall.

i liked the hip hop on there though at least. america needs a mag like Q in europe, tasteful, good wriitng but not blinded to anything un indy fools or new metal mags. then these sites popularity could dry up.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951
    At least they got #1 right.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    catch22 wrote:
    that's kind of indicative of pitchfork though. no oasis, but lots of pulp. no pearl jam, lots of pavement. pitchfork is incredibly lame and its writers and readers are all douchebags. this list isn't the best albums of the 90s... it's the "cool person's pretend list of the best albums of the 90s so you can avoid having to admit to liking anything popular and to appear more edgy and informed than your college roommate who was out getting laid and drunk while you sat home and masturbated to fugazi posters."

to be fair... fugazi is the shit. however masturbating to a poster of them is not the shit. hahaha... yeah, i would have been more suprised to see PJ on a list by pitchfork. the big suprises that they left off were NIN and RATM... but they do have a douchebag image to keep up.
    "You could have licked the lips of God, but you chose the pavement..." ~ These Arms Are Snakes