Options

Need Female Advice

2»

Comments

• Options
    ozsmalltowngirlozsmalltowngirl Posts: 14,362
    acutejam wrote:
    Our second kid popped out FAAAAST! And yeah, I think about a week or so early. First kid took forever and we had all the time in the world, nice drive down, toooo long in the hospital and what not.

But man, once the "system" knows what it's doing -- it can spit a kid out like that! tha's my personal theory at least....

My 2nd kid from the "hmm, i think it's time" to "WHAAAAA" was like 40 minutes!

and yeah, i'm the dad -- stay with the lady man!
    Yeah....but you don't just go straight to the "hmm, i think it's time" stage. There's a lot that goes on before then.....sometimes almost un-noticable. That's why I suggested getting a checkup that day....that'll tell you if it's safe to go or not :)
  • Options
    ozsmalltowngirlozsmalltowngirl Posts: 14,362
    haha
    Am I the only woman that said buy the ticket then make up your mind?
    No :)

http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=5285468&postcount=21
  • Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    Buy a ticket and see what happens. I was pregnant with our second child and let my husband go to a show of his favorite band one week before birth.
    For myself, I really didn't feel comfortable to attend a rock show at this state of pregnancy. By the way, I think the importance of a husband witnessing the birth of his children is overrated. Of course, it's the greatest experience you can have, no matter if man or woman. In my case, it just didn't help me much, with labour pains for example! But it will be far more important to your wife, your little child and the newborn that you will be around AFTER the baby is born.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    As some others said, get your ticket and see how it goes. You will know if your wife is ready to give birth 12 hours before you leave.

If her time does come, then the loss of the cost of a ticket is nothing compared to what you will experience. Play it by ear.
  • Options
    pajopajo Posts: 3,292
    My wife and I are expecting our second child on July 5th...I was planning on attending the DC show on June 22nd. She said it was ok for me to go, but its March and not June - her mind may change. I'm not sure if it's too close to the due date (our first kid came 10 days early)... DC is about a 2 hour drive, so I'd be gone about 12 hours...so do you think it's a good idea I go to the show??? Is it too close to the due date????
    As far as my advice for the scenario where your baby is being born around or on the day of the show, it's 'Eddie wouldn't go', to paraphrase a famous line. :)
    But I feel for you because my wife and I are planning to go to the NYC show(s) AND we're planning a pregnancy. If we make it (on both accounts :)) it's gonna be her first trimester and it generally isn't terribly smart to travel half way around the world during that time. But for the time being we're staying positive and hoping that she's gonna be pregnant, everything's gonna be ok, we're gonna get the tickets for the show(s), manage to fly ourselves there and that everything's gonna work itself out fine. That's some positive thinking, right? :D

Also, if DC is a 2 hour drive and she gets into labor while you're there, you still have a chance of making it back in time... So, hopefully, we'll see you there! :D
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    Hmm, I am a woman. Do not have kids yet.
    If it was me I would probably say to my bf go, as he is a big PJ fan too. BUT I dont think I really would want him to go. I would be stuck between letting my man do what I know he loves to do and my own feelings. I mean, I would want to be at that show with him and not to sit on the couch feeling like an elephant ;) !

But seriously, talk it over very well with your wife and make sure she is not saying this because she wants to please you. And then end up feeling bad when you do go to the concert for real. Women can be difficult like that, I know I am...haha!

And like some others said, maybe just buy the tickets and make the decision later.

Goodluck deciding!
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    My wife and I are expecting our second child on July 5th...I was planning on attending the DC show on June 22nd. She said it was ok for me to go, but its March and not June - her mind may change. I'm not sure if it's too close to the due date (our first kid came 10 days early)... DC is about a 2 hour drive, so I'd be gone about 12 hours...so do you think it's a good idea I go to the show??? Is it too close to the due date????
    Yes go, assuming she hasn't had any contarctions or isn't dialated or anything!! Just get your ass back home as soon as the show ends.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Options
    dirtyT wrote:
    Yes go, assuming she hasn't had any contarctions or isn't dialated or anything!! Just get your ass back home as soon as the show ends.
    Not a female, jusr realized that it said "female".
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,552
    I'm a guy, and even I know that to leave my wife.....who is pregnant with our child.....home alone to go run off to see Pearl Jam a couple of weeks before the due date.....would be a bad idea.

Somebody else posted it, but the question you have to ask is, Would I be comfortable being at a Pearl Jam show while my child was being born?" And more, "Would I feel comfortable leaving my pregnant wife, who is physically unable to go to a concert, so I can go see Pearl Jam by myself?"

Its not like she has the flu. Shes pregnant with your kid.

Dont be a douchbag. Stay home with your family. You can see Pearl Jam next year when they have a 60+ city tour for their new album.

Pearl Jam isnt going anywhere for a while.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options

Pearl Jam or your new born???? Do you really have to think about this? I am not a father but I would not have to think about this situation if I was. Stay home! I would rather miss a PEarl JAm show than miss the delivery of my child. I would not have fun thinking my son/daughter could be born at any given time while I am watching a show. Youll have regrets missing the big night with your family if it was to happen.
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    I have a little experience on this topic. My wife was expecting our first child on 10/25/06. I had tix to go see The Black Crowes on 10/13/06 about a hour away from my house. Totally had made up my mind that I was going to pass on the show as I've seen them many times before and didn't want to miss out on the beautiful experience of seeing my very own child coming into this world.

Long story short, my wife encouraged me to go and I did. It was a good show and I was glad I got to see it. But while I was there I couldn't stop checking my cell phone like a freak because I didn't want to miss "that call", and because of that I probably didn't enjoy the show as much as I could have. Our little girl didn't arrive into this world until 11/09/06...just a little bit past her due date so in the end everything worked out fine.

Not sure where I'm going with this and if my story gave you a better idea on what you should do in your situation, but I think you will be alright with going as it's almost 2 full weeks between the show and your wife's due date. Tough call man and like someone else said, a call that only you can make. I'm sure the decision is harder seeing that their not touring in support of a new album or anything like that.

I can tell you though that I've had to miss a PJ show here and there due to family responsibilities/obligations. And while it sucks all the time leading up to the day of the show, once it passes you will discover that life does in fact go on.

Peace,

RM
  • Options
    Long story short, my wife encouraged me to go and I did. It was a good show and I was glad I got to see it. But while I was there I couldn't stop checking my cell phone like a freak because I didn't want to miss "that call", and because of that I probably didn't enjoy the show as much as I could have.

I've decided on NOT GOING - because I can see me checking the phone every 30 secs....(this isn't the only reason, but was a very good point)...also to all the responses that said I should take her - wouldn't work, she's not a fan (although she was a trooper and made the journey to Hamilton w/ me)...

So, if anyone gets their hands on a DVD or recording of the show - remember me...I'd love a copy...see ya next tour!!
  • Options
    I've decided on NOT GOING - because I can see me checking the phone every 30 secs....(this isn't the only reason, but was a very good point)...also to all the responses that said I should take her - wouldn't work, she's not a fan (although she was a trooper and made the journey to Hamilton w/ me)...

So, if anyone gets their hands on a DVD or recording of the show - remember me...I'd love a copy...see ya next tour!!
    cool, good luck with the new born.
  • Options

I was debating going to London last summer and putting off fertility treatment but I received these words from a certain lead guitarist's wife who was 8 months preggy with their child, 'They will play more shows.' I now have a beautiful 3 month old baby boy. Thanks Ashley!
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,552
    I was debating going to London last summer and putting off fertility treatment but I received these words from a certain lead guitarist's wife who was 8 months preggy with their child, 'They will play more shows.' I now have a beautiful 3 month old baby boy. Thanks Ashley!

I hope he doesnt buy 10C tickets, then "waits and sees".

:D
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission