Options

So I'm 31 and girls I date don't know PJ..anyone else relate?

Comments

• Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    A future MD who's also a Pearl Jam fan. Get this one and every time the band tours in some remote corner of the world, it's a free trip for you :D

Ladies of the board, pounce!

I just blushed :-)
  • Options
    Just say Lil Wayne samples Pearl Jam. She'll buy that and never know the difference.

Too funny, I was thinking about how if I liked Lil Wayned it would so much easier to have common musical tastes as a lot of people. You read my mind!
  • Options
    Firecloud wrote:
    Some of my greatest times in relationships have been in the sharing of musical passions. One girl had missed the boat entirely growing up, but with a few well-considered mixes and very long drives full of cornerstone songs, accompanied by ranting stories on the how/why significance, she's a member of the fanclub, goes to shows, has all the records, and actually bought me a framed PJ poster that I didn't have one year for Christmas.

And naturally, I was stupid enough to fuck that all up.

I know what you're saying, though. It gets harder as you get older to find people with likewise tastes and passions. I'm about to turn 31, and I don't think I have it in me to go through all those stories and explanations again. It takes a lot of personal investment.

A felow 1977 jammer? So you know exactly where I'm coming from.
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    Stick to women your own age instead of going for the younger ones and you won't have that problem. Nothing wrong with us women in our early 30's. ;):p

i always thought you were a dude. this is going to take some getting used to.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651

HAHAHAHA!! I don't know how to take that.... but it totally just made me laugh out loud! :D
  • Options
    Funny, I just had an attending explain his reason for picking Family medicine or other fields back when he was going through the process of deciding on a field. He made some very good points about doing FM in a rural area as compared to a major city.

Yeah, our residency is particularly good about training people for rural practice, which is great considering that this state (NM) has a large rural population. Without the FM docs, our underserved populations would be much more underserved than they already are.

The docs who come/stay here love this particular demographic (large underserved Native American and Spanish-speaking populations) and part of the country. They have a particular community-oriented, primary care mindset that is really important in FM. Not everyone has that mindset. But if you do, it's not too late to consider FM!! :D
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,616
    yep. i can so relate. i'm 30 now. i've dated a few here that didn't know who they were. some would know the song last kiss that get's played on the q104 radio station or have seen the video for do the evolution on much music. that's about it.

i haven't yet found a pearl jam woman here in nova scotia. i kinda hope there was one, but my search for that has ended. i don't look for that anymore in a relationship. i used to, cause my whole house is completly filled with pj & pj related goodies since '91. was hoping of finding somebody that could relate & share the experience with me (and not consider me a pearl jam alcoholic & one that needs to go to pearl jam rehab or something).

now, i'm just focused on my job. taking over the business. helping other's out. volunteering. enjoying life locally here. having a good time. will forever be on my pearl jam game. but for finding a woman that i will love for the rest of my life, or focus my soul & time on, well, that pearl jam woman i thought i dreamed of for many year's, is gone & over. :(
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

Ha, she is NOT a dude! I know I haven't known you too long SCB, but I guarantee you she is a female. :)
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    HAHAHAHA!! I don't know how to take that.... but it totally just made me laugh out loud! :D

i really have no reason as to why i thought that. i do that to a lot of the people here, just guess if they're a guy or a girl and never really ask. and it's not the first time i've made a gender mistake. hope you weren't offended, it didn't have anything to do with anything you said....i just guessed wrong.
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    Ha, she is NOT a dude! I know I haven't known you too long SCB, but I guarantee you she is a female. :)

Thanks for vouching for me High Fidelity! ;) (I was getting worried there for a second... like, maybe I really am a dude and no one's had the heart to break it to me. :eek: )
  • Options
    i really have no reason as to why i thought that. i do that to a lot of the people here, just guess if they're a guy or a girl and never really ask. and it's not the first time i've made a gender mistake. hope you weren't offended, it didn't have anything to do with anything you said....i just guessed wrong.

Yeah, I'm sure I guess wrong about a lot of people too. They should have gender as part of your profile. (That, and maybe whether or not you're single! ;) )

Edit: Not whether YOU'RE single. I know you've said you're married. Please tell your wife I'm not hitting on you. :eek:
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    Yeah, our residency is particularly good about training people for rural practice, which is great considering that this state (NM) has a large rural population. Without the FM docs, our underserved populations would be much more underserved than they already are.

The docs who come/stay here love this particular demographic (large underserved Native American and Spanish-speaking populations) and part of the country. They have a particular community-oriented, primary care mindset that is really important in FM. Not everyone has that mindset. But if you do, it's not too late to consider FM!! :D

Hmm, that sounds very cool indeed. Seems like the type of area where you can expect to get respect from your patients and a few thank you's here and there too. FM has is a very underappreciated field of medicine. Without FM docs in certain areas nobody would be able to see a doctor.
  • Options
    Hmm, that sounds very cool indeed. Seems like the type of area where you can expect to get respect from your patients and a few thank you's here and there too.

Yes, respect, thank-you's, and maybe even some home-roasted green chile now and then! :D
    FM has is a very underappreciated field of medicine. Without FM docs in certain areas nobody would be able to see a doctor.

Amen to that! :)

Okay - I'm totally going to stop hijacking your thread now. I'm sorry. :o

On topic, don't give up on finding a good woman - your age or otherwise - who'll love PJ and be understanding of your "late bloomer" situtation. I know they're out there. (I know there are some out here, at least.) :)
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    Yes, respect, thank-you's, and maybe even some home-roasted green chile now and then! :D

Amen to that! :)

Okay - I'm totally going to stop hijacking your thread now. I'm sorry. :o

On topic, don't give up on finding a good woman - your age or otherwise - who'll love PJ and be understanding of your "late bloomer" situtation. I know they're out there. (I know there are some out here, at least.) :)

Thanks dude
  • Options
    brucebruce Posts: 384
    i'm 23... and when I hit on chicks I always bring up Pearl Jam... and it is always such a dead end. I've come to realize that the chances of me meeting a chick that loves pearl jam are about zero.. so i've quite dating.... ok joking... but i still hit on girls and bring up Pearl Jam just for that one chance....
    Writing checks that others pay.....

• Options
    Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    my first girlfriend of 5 years became a huge PJ fan because of me....my next girlfriend of 2 years also became a big PJ fan because of me, although she was a fan of classic rock so the transition was quite easy...now im dating a girl from Turkey and this one could definitely be for good (third time appears to be the charm)...we met studying abroad in France and she came back with me to the states this summer and I dragged her to MSG I and II and then Hartford. She had a great time but it would have been a lot better if they had played Black at least one of those nights because it's her favorite song...I couldn't believe they didn't!

Choosing a girl because of PJ really isn't the best decision anyway...any girl who is really into you will naturally see the enjoyment you get out of PJ music and going to shows in general is fun...so sometimes making them fans is better than having them come in already knowing what to expect...sometimes it takes a lot of time and sometimes it never happens
  • Options
    Rossum20 wrote:
    Choosing a girl because of PJ really isn't the best decision anyway...any girl who is really into you will naturally see the enjoyment you get out of PJ music and going to shows in general is fun...so sometimes making them fans is better than having them come in already knowing what to expect...sometimes it takes a lot of time and sometimes it never happens

so true!
  • Options
    Rossum20 wrote:
    my first girlfriend of 5 years became a huge PJ fan because of me....my next girlfriend of 2 years also became a big PJ fan because of me, although she was a fan of classic rock so the transition was quite easy...now im dating a girl from Turkey and this one could definitely be for good (third time appears to be the charm)...we met studying abroad in France and she came back with me to the states this summer and I dragged her to MSG I and II and then Hartford. She had a great time but it would have been a lot better if they had played Black at least one of those nights because it's her favorite song...I couldn't believe they didn't!

Yea, I have no real desire at this point to meet a girl into PJ. There was just an interesting observation made to me by my last gf who was 23 yrs old which got me thinking. She said, 'wow you really have'nt updated your musical tastes in like 10 years'. This after seeing Nirvana, Foo fighters and PJ CDs in my car. She said it a few weeks ago, but I really just thought of it now and decided to see if any of you have experienced this.

I was like wtf...man I'm old...lol
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    Rossum20, watch out for Turkish chicks! They will break your heart :D

i seen & meet a few here in halifax.
    mama mia, they be sexy!

*drools

:)
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    You already know one from your "bee-land" as well. :)

but of course. how can i forget! :)
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    Yeah, I'm sure I guess wrong about a lot of people too. They should have gender as part of your profile. (That, and maybe whether or not you're single! ;) )

Edit: Not whether YOU'RE single. I know you've said you're married. Please tell your wife I'm not hitting on you. :eek:

too late, she wants a divorce.

sooooo, what're you doin' this weekend?

j/k
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I'm 28 and LOVE pearl jam.......
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    too late, she wants a divorce.

sooooo, what're you doin' this weekend?

j/k

;):D
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    funny... i didn't expect this thread to still be up.

i suppose i don't think enough about how lucky i am that my last girlfriend was a pearl jam fan and that we went to 8 pj shows together. but i was deliberately looking for a girl who loves pearl jam as much as i do, and we started chatting here on the pit and lucky for me she lived just 3 towns away. we actually broke up in the parking lot after the 2nd mansfield show this year, lol. it was a break up at least a year in the making, but pj kept us together for a little while longer. it's pretty amusing now that i can look back on it. :D

going forward, i'm not sure if it matters that i'm with a girl who loves pearl jam, but it probably does. :o
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    waitaminute... it wasn't 8 shows, it was 11. damn.
  • Options
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    I'm 26 and I LOVE pearl jam... :)
    well hello;).....hahaha
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I'm 28 and LOVE pearl jam.......
    I'm 26 and I LOVE pearl jam... :)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    well hello;).....hahaha
    Whoa, what happened to the posts? :confused:
    it's not sorted accordingly to our convos.

the system died and i got logged out...
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    FirecloudFirecloud Posts: 516
    A felow 1977 jammer? So you know exactly where I'm coming from.

Yes I do, semi-unfortunately....