Options

So I'm 31 and girls I date don't know PJ..anyone else relate?

Chief BromdenChief Bromden Posts: 35
edited October 2008 in The Porch
So I'm a 31 yr old Guy and I have been a huge PJ fan since I was 16. For many year I was used to dating girls that were at least into PJ a little just based on being in my age group and thus having been through the times of grunge in high school.

But now that I'm 31 I find most of the girls I date are still around the same age as always (23-28) but they are by in large from a 'different' generation in terms of music.

Has any other guy/gal around my age had any similar experiences with dating younger people?

I find it a bit odd to have to explain PJ to people. The girls seem to all know the name Pearl Jam and know 'Last Kiss', but they really have no clue what our generations music was all about.

Man, aging has some weird transitions....Not that it will ever hold me back from any relationship. Just venting about getting older I guess!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    So I'm a 31 yr old Guy and I have been a huge PJ fan since I was 16. For many year I was used to dating girls that were at least into PJ a little just based on being in my age group and thus having been through the times of grunge in high school.

But now that I'm 31 I find most of the girls I date are still around the same age as always (23-28) but they are by in large from a 'different' generation in terms of music.

Has any other guy/gal around my age had any similar experiences?

I find it a bit odd to have to explain PJ to people. The girls seem to all know the name Pearl Jam and know 'Last Kiss', but they really have no clue what our generations music was all about.

Man, aging has some weird transitions....Not that it will ever hold me back from any relationship. Just venting about getting older I guess!!

You're 31, you're still young! Don't be dismayed,

Just teach them about the greatest band that's all! And if they don't get it, then they don't get to have you! ;)
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    Stick to women your own age instead of going for the younger ones and you won't have that problem. Nothing wrong with us women in our early 30's. ;):p
  • Options
    you must teach them the wisdom of their elders.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    why isnt this over in the social club that is the AET? :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    that's funny... I'm 32. I just had a date last week with a girl who's 27. When we talked about music, I of course brought up that Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands, and the first thing she said was that she couldn't stand that "where can by baby be?" song, and she wasn't at all familiar with anything post-Vitalogy. so i totally hear where you're coming from. even though most hardcore PJ fans don't care for Last Kiss, it's the still the song they are most famous for as of late. WWS was a hit, but only for about a month.

and i don't mean to be a pain, but you picked the wrong sub-forum to post this in.
  • Options
    PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006

Has any other guy/gal around my age had any similar experiences with dating younger people?

Just be glad you're still dating 23 year olds.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    Stick to women your own age instead of going for the younger ones and you won't have that problem. Nothing wrong with us women in our early 30's. ;):p

I love women my own age :-D

Just seems women I meet around my age are looking for more settled and established. I'm a late bloomer and I only just started Medical school when I was 28. Between the hours of studying and hospital time I pretty much seem to have the stability of a 25 yr old more than a 31 yr old.
  • Options
    oops, duplicated post.
  • Options
    You're 31, you're still young! Don't be dismayed,

Just teach them about the greatest band that's all! And if they don't get it, then they don't get to have you! ;)

true :-D
  • Options
    Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    PJ_Saluki wrote:

LOL :D
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    I find it a bit odd to have to explain PJ to people.

I would never want to date a girl who is into PJ. The worst would be someone who "kinda" likes them. I'd rather that they dont know/dont care. not everything needs to be shared. the other person wont understand my love of music, so she just needs to understand that we dont have to do everything together.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    What ever ened up happening with this girl? Future plans to go out?
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    I didn't pay much attention to the thread but people my age doesn't really know anything about music and as its a big part of my life it's hard to connect really well with other people. There are other things to chat about of course but music is numero uno.
  • Options
    lowlight10 wrote:
    I would never want to date a girl who is into PJ. The worst would be someone who "kinda" likes them. I'd rather that they dont know/dont care. not everything needs to be shared. the other person wont understand my love of music, so she just needs to understand that we dont have to do everything together.

I agree....as long as values, respect and morals are shared among each person nothing else should really matter much.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,419
    i've been married for 17yrs i know nothing of what you talk about :D ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

But now that I'm 31 I find most of the girls I date are still around the same age as always (12-15) but they are by in large from a 'different' generation in terms of music.

maybe if you stopped picking up chicks @ chuck-e-cheese you wouldn't have this problem!! :D:D:D
  • Options
    I love women my own age :-D

Just seems women I meet around my age are looking for more settled and established. I'm a late bloomer and I only just started Medical school when I was 28. Between the hours of studying and hospital time I pretty much seem to have the stability of a 25 yr old more than a 31 yr old.

Ah, so you're about to become a doctor....

You sound about on track then. Most doctors are late bloomers. Depending on which residency you choose, you'll be established in about 5 years.

Then you're supposed to marry another doc, because they're about the only people who will be understanding about your schedule.

Where do you live? I have just the late bloomer doc for you! :D

Edit: I guess it doesn't matter where you live now. Where do you plan to go for residency?
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    Ah, so you're about to become a doctor....

You sound about on track then. Most doctors are late bloomers. Depending on which residency you choose, you'll be established in about 5 years.

Then you're supposed to marry another doc, because they're about the only people who will be understanding about your schedule.

Where do you live? I have just the late bloomer doc for you! :D

Edit: I guess it doesn't matter where you live now. Where do you plan to go for residency?

Hey, I live in Florida right now but I am from New York. I'm doing a rotation here for another few weeks. I hope to practice in either NY or Fla, depending on which place I get the best offer.

Thanks for the kind words, with hard work and dedication I hope to be established in 5 yrs. I just really, truly love what I do. :-)
  • Options
    maybe if you stopped picking up chicks @ chuck-e-cheese you wouldn't have this problem!! :D:D:D

But now that I'm 31 I find most of the girls I date are still around the same age as always (12-15) but they are by in large from a 'different' generation in terms of music.

LMAO....nice editing job!!
  • Options
    It took 2 and a half years before my girlfriend decided to sit down and understand Pearl Jam. Now she is quoted with such things like "His Voice is so Addicting"......Greatest moment of my life. I cried a little. haha. Point is if they don't know who Pearl Jam is...give them time. You can't NOT like Pearl Jam. Patience is a virtue young grasshopper
  • Options
    It took 2 and a half years before my girlfriend decided to sit down and understand Pearl Jam. Now she is quoted with such things like "His Voice is so Addicting"......Greatest moment of my life. I cried a little. haha. Point is if they don't know who Pearl Jam is...give them time. You can't NOT like Pearl Jam. Patience is a virtue young grasshopper

Sweet! You got through to her :-)
  • Options
    loveatreeloveatree in my tree Posts: 142
    edited January 2012
    i'm a 29 year old female, turning 30 in a few months. all my friends know i'm an obsessed pj fan. most people i meet nowadays (around my age late 20's to 30's) always ask me pj- are they still a band?
    so i can relate- if the people you meet don't get pj- oh well more for us to absorb...
    Post edited by loveatree on
    2006 LA/ SF/ Mountain View. 2009 LA/ SF. 2013 LA/ Oakland/ Seattle. 2014 Denver

• Options
    Hey, I live in Florida right now but I am from New York. I'm doing a rotation here for another few weeks. I hope to practice in either NY or Fla, depending on which place I get the best offer.

Thanks for the kind words, with hard work and dedication I hope to be established in 5 yrs. I just really, truly love what I do. :-)

Ah, bummer! My friend just took an attending job in Denver.

Do you know what field you'll go into?
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    Ah, bummer! My friend just took an attending job in Denver.

Do you know what field you'll go into?

I'm looking into Emergency Medicine. Or perhaps Internal Medicine with an eye toward Cardiology.

Are you in the health care field as well?
  • Options
    LMAO....nice editing job!!

:D just mess'n wit ya! :D
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829

Just say Lil Wayne samples Pearl Jam. She'll buy that and never know the difference.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    FirecloudFirecloud Posts: 516
    Some of my greatest times in relationships have been in the sharing of musical passions. One girl had missed the boat entirely growing up, but with a few well-considered mixes and very long drives full of cornerstone songs, accompanied by ranting stories on the how/why significance, she's a member of the fanclub, goes to shows, has all the records, and actually bought me a framed PJ poster that I didn't have one year for Christmas.

And naturally, I was stupid enough to fuck that all up.

I know what you're saying, though. It gets harder as you get older to find people with likewise tastes and passions. I'm about to turn 31, and I don't think I have it in me to go through all those stories and explanations again. It takes a lot of personal investment.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    PJ_Saluki wrote:

my thoughts exactly!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    I'm looking into Emergency Medicine. Or perhaps Internal Medicine with an eye toward Cardiology.

Are you in the health care field as well?

I coordinate the MCH program for a Family Medicine residency/med school/teaching hospital.

Family Medicine is great if you ever change your mind! But otherwise, I hope you enjoy Emergency or Internal Medicine. :)
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    I coordinate the MCH program for a Family Medicine residency/med school/teaching hospital.

Family Medicine is great if you ever change your mind! But otherwise, I hope you enjoy Emergency or Internal Medicine. :)

Funny, I just had an attending explain his reason for picking Family medicine or other fields back when he was going through the process of deciding on a field. He made some very good points about doing FM in a rural area as compared to a major city.