the last lines .............

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life
I know you'll be a sun
In somebody else's sky
But why
Why
Why can't it be
Why can't it be mine

why does the singer WANT her to have a beautiful life in HIS sky???

if he truly loved her, then why would he care in whose life she had a beautiful and complete life, as long as she had a beautiful life?? he would just wish the best for her regardless.

isnt that possessive and selfish??

i think if he truly loved her, then he would love her selflessly with no expectations in return, not even that she remain a part of his life.

your thoughts ??
I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
Come step inside my tears
Swim the magic ocean,
I've been crying all these years
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It is. But so can be love. You give and you GET.
  • Options
    It is. But so can be love. You give and you GET.
    but ideally, should you EXPECT to get, or just give unselfishly ???

should you trade in love???

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    well, of course he wants her to be happy. he knows she'll be the beautiful thing in someone else's life but if she can be that beautiful thing in his life, then he'll take it. have you ever loved someone so much it hurts, then that person is no longer with you? of course you'd love that person to go on having a wonderful life, being that shining star, but if they can be your own personal star in your life, would you grab at the chance to see it happen? besides, love is selfish.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    besides, love is selfish.
    then its not love.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    then its not love.
    this is what i agree with:

"Genuine love...is the most selfish experience possible, in the true sense of the term: it benefits your life in a way that involves no sacrifice of others to yourself or of yourself to others.To love a person is selfish because it means that you value that particular person, that he or she makes your life better, that he or she is an intense source of joy--to you."
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191

I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why
    Why
    Why can't it be
    Why can't it be mine

he knows she'll move on
    he knows she'll be loved
    but he wishes she was still his - he loves her, he misses her, he wonders why the relationship ended

isnt that always the way??
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    zenith wrote:
    he knows she'll move on
    he knows she'll be loved
    but he wishes she was still his - he loves her, he misses her, he wonders why the relationship ended

isnt that always the way??

Exactly what I think
    Not a selfish song at all

Also I thought the lyric was 'I know you'll be a star'
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • Options
    At least in my mind, I've always saw those lyrics more as a case of Lament... it doesn't sound like the man is selfish, only that he wishes being a part of his life could have make her happy...

...it made sense to me anyway... I've had exes who I'll always love, who moved on and found their happiness elsewhere... I'm insanely happy for them, but there are moments where I lament that it could not be found with me...

My two cents...
    If Adam and Eve had Taco Bell they would have never eaten that filthy fruit...
  • Options
    At least in my mind, I've always those lyrics more as a case of Lament... it doesn't sound like the man is selfish, only that he wishes being a part of his life could make her happy...

...it made sense to me anyway... I've had exes who I'll always love, who moved on and found their happiness elsewhere... I'm insanely happy for them, but there are moments where I lament that it could be found with me...

My two cents...
    :) i like your interpretation
  • Options
    Yeah, if only I could type without skipping a bunch of words...
    If Adam and Eve had Taco Bell they would have never eaten that filthy fruit...
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    pazman wrote:

Also I thought the lyric was 'I know you'll be a star'

The LONG and MUCHLY debated SUN/STAR.....It will differ depending on the wind sometimes. I am of the OPINION that it was ORIGINALLY "SUN" and evolved into star over the years. You will NEVER convince me otherwise, but to each his own....:D
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    The LONG and MUCHLY debated SUN/STAR.....It will differ depending on the wind sometimes. I am of the OPINION that it was ORIGINALLY "SUN" and evolved into star over the years. You will NEVER convince me otherwise, but to each his own....:D

I've never heard "Sun" in the lyric, and this is a very unselfish song in my opinion.
  • Options
    if it is so unselfish then why the "why cant it be mine" line.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    I've never heard "Sun" in the lyric, and this is a very unselfish song in my opinion.

Then you arent listening close enough to the EARLY versions and demos and the ORIGINAL TEN version....;)

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    couldnt care less, its a FUCKING brilliant song
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,565

You having a bad day or something? Is it wrong to wish somebody you really cared about was still in your life?

How can you love someone and not want them to be around?
  • Options
    love is blind- that's all i can say.... love is blind my friend...
    "I heard some people up here pointing out the ukelele...it's a mandolin, you uncultured bastards!" EV

If nothing is everything, I'll have it all

Hard to Imagine: http://lightyourpillow.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Love= A sucking, swirling, never-ending eddy of despair!!

• Options
    Love= A sucking, swirling, never-ending eddy of despair!!
    Don't you mean "Eddie of Despair"? ;)
    "I heard some people up here pointing out the ukelele...it's a mandolin, you uncultured bastards!" EV

• Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Then you arent listening close enough to the EARLY versions and demos and the ORIGINAL TEN version....;)

??? I just listened to the end of the 10 version over and over. Without question it is "star"!

And I agree - it is not selfish to want someone you love to love you back. To keep them from moving on would be selfish, which clearly he is not doing.
  • Options
    I'm literally going through this song right now in my life and I can say its not selfish.

The fact is he wants her to be happy and he know she will get all the love and happiness she deserves.

Except that he (I) know that I can do all of those things for her myself. And if he (I) never get another chance he (I) will always wonder why it couldn't be the person who gave her all of those things.

It's not selfish in the least. It would be selfish to guilt someone to stay with you if they don't want to because you are to afraid of your life without the person.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    Personally, I think that the last lines of this song were among the most brilliant, incredibly beautiful, heart wrenching & down-right god-to-honest lyrics that Ed has ever written. Who hasn't had that feeling? You love someone so badly that it actually hurts and they just can't find a reason to love you back the way you love them? I believe we can all associate with this- the pain, the anger, & the lonliness.

• Options
    I highly doubt Black was written about shellfish.

Lil Wayne is better than Pearl Jam.

Bitches ain't nothin' but hoes 'n tricks
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    I guess you can call it selfish... But let's be honest. You have never felt that way before? It's a natural emotion, and there is nothing wrong with it.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081

I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why
    Why
    Why can't it be
    Why can't it be mine

why does the singer WANT her to have a beautiful life in HIS sky???

if he truly loved her, then why would he care in whose life she had a beautiful and complete life, as long as she had a beautiful life?? he would just wish the best for her regardless.

isnt that possessive and selfish??

i think if he truly loved her, then he would love her selflessly with no expectations in return, not even that she remain a part of his life.

your thoughts ??

my thoughts? i truly love my ex. doesn't mean i don't hate the fact that she's with someone else and i will never speak to or see her again.

maybe it's selfish, i don't know. but the power of black is its realness.
    and like that... he's gone.
  • Options
    catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081

because it's a question. not a command, like "come back or i'll cut you and your lover's heads off bitch!" that would be selfish. nothing selfish about wishing things were different.
    and like that... he's gone.
  • Options
    catch22 wrote:
    my thoughts? i truly love my ex. doesn't mean i don't hate the fact that she's with someone else and i will never speak to or see her again.

maybe it's selfish, i don't know. but the power of black is its realness.
    PJ have been "keepin it real" since 90, lol
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I don't think it is selfish to have a desperate desire to want a love back.
    Sometimes people make mistakes or give up on someone and regret it. I would never blame someone for their feelings of love. It is a natural response to want to hold onto that love.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    I feel like probably someone said this already, so forgive me but the kids are doing homework here and someone is about to erupt on someone else soon, I am sure, so being pressed for time, I will say, that he is an artist in love with her and he is distraught that he can't have her for himself because for some reason, whether she is too young, belongs to another man, or is not interested in him.

I don't think it is a selfish song but I think it is a beautifully tragic love song.

Idk, but tragic is the best kind of love song I think.............
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    ??? I just listened to the end of the 10 version over and over. Without question it is "star"!

quote]

You are WRONG, but thanks for playing! ;) hahaha j/k