Options

how many hardcore FANS will PJ lose if they drop their "ARENA ROCK" tag????

Comments

• Options
    The way distantsun was speaking, it seemed like there was another level in mind.

what are you suggesting that i was suggesting? :)
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    distantsun wrote:
    what are you suggesting that i was suggesting? :)
    I think you were suggesting that Pearl Jam plateaued creatively some time ago.
  • Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I think you were suggesting that Pearl Jam plateaued creatively some time ago.

I think that's half of it. I think she was saying that there's always room for a new direction, which is true. Just because they've plateaued right now, doesn't mean they're incapable of reaching a new creative peak.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    spend some time in the pit and find out.

No thanks. :)
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    I think that's half of it. I think she was saying that there's always room for a new direction, which is true. Just because they've plateaued right now, doesn't mean they're incapable of reaching a new creative peak.

oh i definitely think they've plateaued. they have mastered whatever it is that they do. 8 was a fucking great album and it should have been since they've been doing it for 17 years. if anyone has not mastered their job after being there for 17 years, then that's a problem.

i think they have a ton of potential. they're fucking pearl jam. you know?
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    ive been on board since 91 - id go and see them even if they played the local rsl to the senior citizens - id even put on a grey wig and steal a cane to do it -

nearly perfect songs?? Every album has a dudd - every album has songs that make you think 'how the fuck did they know what was in my head for the past 10 months??' every album has a song that you never forget where you were the moment you first heard it. What do you define as 'truly great'

call me rabid if you want - but ive already defined it, and its pearl jam. Theyve given me all of the above and more. My generation - my greatness
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    whatever direction, i just hope its natural, and from the heart...
  • Options
    soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I remember hoping that Riot Act would be a bit more acoustic and rootsy back before its release, so I've been wishing for a while now that they'd stray from the arena rock thing. At the same time I have to agree with LeatherMandi that whatever they do, it needs to come naturally. If that means they make a metal album next time, so be it. I'll at least give it a chance.
  • Options
    as long as the lyrical content is powerful I'm here to stay!
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    glasshouse wrote:
    a comment made by RockKing made me think about this.
    PJ are arguably the greatest live hard rock band around and i know we all love them for exactly that reason

but

let's say they decide to take a more subtle and fragile musical route on their next studio album, something very much in the line of into the wild.

gone are songs like comatose, wws, stbc, dte....you get the picture.

would that disappoint you? or would you embrace it?
    I am writing this response before reading any in the thread, so apologies if I make duplicate points.

It's all state of mind, man. I don't think they could make an all-acoustic (fragile, if you will) album. Even if they did, the lyrics would be biting, or the songs would still be intense, I would have to believe.

Look at all of their albums. Each of those has fragile songs. Oceans? Daughter? Nothingman? Off He Goes? Lowlight? Isn't Parting Ways fragile in the sense that it derives from such desperation and tainted hope?

You present an interesting hypothetical, but I fail to see this as even a possibility. However many more records they make (if any) will most likely have electric guitars, thus, hard rock. But as always, they will weave in the fragile songs. And some of the hard rock songs, take Hail, Hail for example, are fragile in spite of the volume. Therein lies the wonderful dichotomy of Pearl Jam's music. Do the Evolution, perhaps their hardest, rockingest song ever, isn't it subtle and fragile in its questions of where we are headed? Doesn't it inherently suggest the fragility of everything that surrounds us?

I think this is all semantics. They will not make a James Taylor record, if that's what you mean. Politics for lack of a better term, is their inspiration. The interplay of people and life-changing situations they cannot ever hope to control are the foundation of their music, thematically speaking.
    Yes, they may use acoustic guitars and keep the volume low, but their songs will never be fragile.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    I am writing this response before reading any in the thread, so apologies if I make duplicate points.

It's all state of mind, man. I don't think they could make an all-acoustic (fragile, if you will) album. Even if they did, the lyrics would be biting, or the songs would still be intense, I would have to believe.

Look at all of their albums. Each of those has fragile songs. Oceans? Daughter? Nothingman? Off He Goes? Lowlight? Isn't Parting Ways fragile in the sense that it derives from such desperation and tainted hope?

You present an interesting hypothetical, but I fail to see this as even a possibility. However many more records they make (if any) will most likely have electric guitars, thus, hard rock. But as always, they will weave in the fragile songs. And some of the hard rock songs, take Hail, Hail for example, are fragile in spite of the volume. Therein lies the wonderful dichotomy of Pearl Jam's music. Do the Evolution, perhaps their hardest, rockingest song ever, isn't it subtle and fragile in its questions of where we are headed? Doesn't it inherently suggest the fragility of everything that surrounds us?

I think this is all semantics. They will not make a James Taylor record, if that's what you mean. Politics for lack of a better term, is their inspiration. The interplay of people and life-changing situations they cannot ever hope to control are the foundation of their music, thematically speaking.
    Yes, they may use acoustic guitars and keep the volume low, but their songs will never be fragile.

Edited the above for grammar...
    Also, on Parting Ways...would you call that a hard rock song? What would you call it?

My point is that the label is pointless, because each song is about and just plain IS something different than all the others. You can have a quiet song that's fragile and a quiet song that's got balls.

I guess I'm just looking for your definition of fragile other than it uses wooden, brittle instruments.
  • Options
    some great responses everyone
    I have enjoyed the journey so far, Im not about to get of the bus. I hope the boys continue to grow,expand ,learn and then share it all with us.
    I see it as they were once young and angry then they started to contemplate a lot of stuff and also bold enough to change, then they have gotten angry again ( thanks GWB) children and life have given them a lot of experiences to be able to share.
    SORTA LIKE A LOT OF US WHO HAVE GROWN UP WITH THEM
    bring it on I say. I cannot wait for the next installment to the soundtrack of my life
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    but could mikeyboy do an album without some wailing leads in it
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    glasshouse wrote:
    PJ are arguably the greatest live hard rock band around and i know we all love them for exactly that reason

but

let's say they decide to take a more subtle and fragile musical route on their next studio album, something very much in the line of into the wild.

I would be very bored and would start listening to a lot more metal.

Pearl Jam is the "weakest" band that I listen to regularly. If they went totally 100% folk, they'd go without me for the most part. There is a place for that type of music and it's fine but just not for me.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    likepilate- i think my argument still stands without them going a folksy or softer route. i'm not looking for a specific path other than the same path they've been on for the last 17 (18?) years.
  • Options
    TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    glasshouse wrote:

but

this was the first thing I thought about after I heard Binural and No Code, the songs I just couldn't picture in an arena, and now look at the balance of songs on the last tour, its as if they have completely forgot both albums, we rarely get any songs off either album, especially No Code, I don't think we will ever see them stop rocking though, after seeing them at a bunch of times a year ago I think they still have alot left in them!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    As long as it's good music, I am not concerned.
    I do not label music that way...INTO THE WILD is really good and PJ will always rock, no matter what
    Daniella Duarte
    **Que Porra estávamos pensando?** EV São Paulo 03/12/05
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    easy answer:corduroy from bridge show
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    Some would argue this is exactly what they did post-Vialogy. Then they started to loose some of their fanbase and superstar status. I would not agree though. On a similar note... "Hard Sun" is a pretty big hit on radio right now, prob. the most PJ sounding on the album. However, it's not the the rock and alt. stations that are pushing this song, it's the mostly AAA and some college rock stations. I think Pearl Jam could open themselves up to whole new audience here. Many bands have made the transition from rock/alt. to AAA/College. Most of the time it's a case where artist have been around for a while and outgrown the formats that they started in, so the only outlet for them is AAA and college rock. Take for instance: Radiohead, R.E.M., Nada Surf,Tom Petty, Springsteen,Tom Waits, Blur, Pixies, Ect.
    It could just be my local radio market, but it seems most rock stations are too lame to play anything of PJ or Radiohead's from the last decade, and classic rock stations won't play anything new by their core artist (i.e Springsteen, Petty).
    Anyway, judging by peoples' tastes on this board, they are listening to AAA and college rock stations anyway. Arcade Fire, MMJ, Radiohead, are all favs here...
    "Give me the ringer dude,chop,chop!"
  • Options
    Embrace It!!!!
    11/95 San Jose; 9/96 Randalls Island; 8/00 Jones Beach; 7-8&9 2003 NYC; 10/04 Reading; 9/05 & 10/05 Borgata; '06 Irving Plaza; '06 Hartford; '06 Camden 1&2; E. Rutherford 1&2 '06; Vegas 7/06; Bridge School 1&2 '06; 2008 WPB, Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2, Boston 2, EV NYC 1&2 and NJPAC; 6/09 EV Philly 1&2; 2009 LA 3&4, 09 San Diego, 09 Philly 1-4, 2010 MSG 1 and 2, 2010 Boston, 2010 Hartford, 2010 Newark; Alpine Valley Sept 2011
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    glasshouse wrote:

but

Couldn't give a shite, as long as Ed's the lead vocalist.
  • Options
    BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    distantsun wrote:
    dead on. exactly.

plus, we're not creative members of pearl jam. we think we understand the band in terms of its creative dynamics but we really don't know the whole inside operation. they know what they are capable of, both as individual musicians, and much more importantly, as a singular creative unit.

plus, we're not creative members of pearl jam. we think we understand the band in terms of its creative dynamics but we really don't know the whole inside operation. they know what they are capable of, both as individual musicians, and much more importantly, as a singular creative unit.[/quote]

I agree. It's time for another "No Code", or, something. They need to step it up to become epic. I stand by their live show, like you said, but their studio albums (most of them anyway) don't stand up on their own. After 8 albums, they need to take a right turn and do something really interesting. It doesn't need to be weird. Think of Sleater Kinney and The Woods, for example.
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    Well, it was not for you anyway. That was for the dreamer who was dreaming of front row seats since some people were going to "leave" Pearl Jam because they are no longer an Arena Rock act. Mostly it was just meant to be a joke...

Son, we were here long before you were, so have some respect.
  • Options
    Somebody just got bytch-slapped like a ho in East Compton.
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:
    Son, we were here long before you were, so have some respect.
    Do work, Sgt.
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    likepilate- i think my argument still stands without them going a folksy or softer route. i'm not looking for a specific path other than the same path they've been on for the last 17 (18?) years.
    I guess all I was trying to say was that they are inherently political, even if it's a song about a dog....
    So that's what's keeping them on the road, but the path is always revealing itself.
    We have no idea.
    We have no control.
    Relax.
  • Options
    i think our work is done here.

lock this sucker up.
  • Options
    Jewbabes, assless girls, Pantera, Trans-Siberian orchestra, Llamas, Ted Nugent, synerds
  • Options
    Tso.
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:
    Jewbabes, assless girls, Pantera, Trans-Siberian orchestra, Llamas, Ted Nugent, synerds

Chaps, my friend. Assless chaps.

EDIT: Assless girls too, I forgot. Whatever happened to that grace girl anyway?
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.