how many hardcore FANS will PJ lose if they drop their "ARENA ROCK" tag????

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited December 2007 in The Porch
a comment made by RockKing made me think about this.
PJ are arguably the greatest live hard rock band around and i know we all love them for exactly that reason

but

let's say they decide to take a more subtle and fragile musical route on their next studio album, something very much in the line of into the wild.

gone are songs like comatose, wws, stbc, dte....you get the picture.

would that disappoint you? or would you embrace it?
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    it would not make any difference to me.....as i get older the more i appreciate the direction of into the wild.

i would enjoy seeing the staple fast, up beat, kick ass songs in a form like into the wild.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • ajedigecko wrote:
    it would not make any difference to me.....as i get older the more i appreciate the direction of into the wild.

i would enjoy seeing the staple fast, up beat, kick ass songs in a form like into the wild.

agreed
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    glasshouse wrote:
    PJ are arguably the greatest live hard rock band around and i know we all love them for exactly that reason

but

let's say they decide to take a more subtle and fragile musical route on their next studio album, something very much in the line of into the wild.

no i wouldn't be dissapointed but i don't believe it will happen that way there is plenty of rock left in these guys .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    tough to say.

i love the rockers and would miss them, but i also love the softer stuff such as:

light years, present tense, off he goes, nothing as it seems, sometimes
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    there is plenty of rock left in these guys .....

of that there is no doubt ;)
    maybe they'll just channel it a bit differently. i agree though, they haven't changed their general musical outlook in more than 16 years, hard to immagine them doing it now.....
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    I am cool with whatever they put. Soft pr hard, I know it will be great music.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    glasshouse wrote:

but

I would embrace it they would still play the rockers live...
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• I love all of their music...but I would be dissapointed
    "No need to be void,...or save up on life...You got to spend it all....."
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,539
    If the general public knew they wouldn't get any of the early songs that they might know, pearl jam would not fill arenas anymore.

I like the new stuff, but I absolutely love the old stuff! Lets hope for a good mix. The set balance in 06/07 were perfect!
    I will swallow poison
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Into The Wild was not even kinda a Pearl Jam record.

Especially after the last 8 albums, do not expect Pearl Jam to lose their rock-n-roll edge.

Yes, it wouldn't be great if Pearl Jam all of a sudden changed their format or genre.
  • In my world, any PJ is good PJ. I honestly wouldn't care as long as they still keep on making the music.
  • They could release the rest of the albums using nothing but a microphone and the sounds of their own farts, and they wouldn't lose me. I don't give a fuck about no 'arena rock' tag.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,770
    the hardcore fans like the diversity of PJ music over the years

it's the not so hardcore fans that they lose when they decide to change direction here and there

so no great loss :D
  • i actually prefer the "downs" as they call them. Songs like Who You Are, and Present Tense, All Those Yesterdays, Parting Ways, Of the Girl, OCEANS, you geth te idea, so i'd totally be down for a smaller venue softer song tour.

with that being said, i think the reason Eddie did the soundtrack to Into the Wild is because it is not really a Pearl Jam thing. I love the record and have listened to it more than anything else this year so i'd love it, i just dont see it happening.

i read something further up about the "ups" being plays accousticly, like they did with Lukin, i really dig that idea, it would be a lot of fun. I really liked the softer set they were doing in 04 & 05. That allowed them to play songs like parting ways, and hard to imagine. they fit fine in the context of a show, but to get a bunch of them together it was something special.

so in a long winded way, i guess what i mean is, well if you are reading this then you know what i mean.
    peace
  • I wouldnt mind a mostly acoustic and lighter album from the guys.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • In my world, any PJ is good PJ. I honestly wouldn't care as long as they still keep on making the music.

I agree...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    Hopefuly they just drop the arena rock gigs and start doign small venues!!! Like the vic!!!
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    it's evolution baby
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    ajedigecko wrote:

Well said friend.

Happy / Merry to you and yours.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    i would be sad if they did drop those songs, but i love itw and i would love to see them do an acoustic show like fooies did at the opera house a few yrs ago
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • glasshouse wrote:

but

It would very much disappoint me.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • I think most of the people who would be turned off by Into the Wild aren't going to the shows for the new stuff anyway.

They're going for Jeremy. Which Pearl Jam still plays on occasion, so ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • it would be a breath of fresh air
    Matt and I are friends.
  • PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 594
    I would be dissappointed. Although I love almost all their songs, I wouldn't be as excited for new music, it means less variety. And them getting older doesn't mean they have to make slow songs either, they aren't even really old.

Plus, Into the Wild was a soundtrack, it was supposed to have a common theme, not just "write whatever you want".
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    I NEVER EVER want Pearl Jam to put an album out that doesn't rock. They are a rock band (not a soft rock band), which is why their albums should always ROCK.

Oddly enough, I have never thought of Pearl Jam as an "Arena" rock band. Not even sure what that means except that they play arenas. But, teeny bopper pop artists also play arenas...so I am not sure what the venue you play live in has to do with your music genre.
  • the bottom line is that pearl jam's unwillingness or dare i say...lack of interest in taking it to the next level is the thing that holds them back from truly being a real creative force in american rock.

they're a great touring band with nearly perfect songs. they have probably the most impressive debut maybe ever. i won't dare take that away from them. but a real step forward is needed to take them to wherever they should already be.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • distantsun wrote:
    the bottom line is that pearl jam's unwillingness or dare i say...lack of interest in taking it to the next level is the thing that holds them back from truly being a real creative force in american rock.

they're a great touring band with nearly perfect songs. they have probably the most impressive debut maybe ever. i won't dare take that away from them. but a real step forward is needed to take them to wherever they should already be.

What's the next level then?
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    What's the next level then?

Honestly, it doesn't matter what the next level is. But do you really think this is "it" for PJ? There's always another level to be achieved, if you are so bold as to reach for it.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • RockKing wrote:
    Honestly, it doesn't matter what the next level is. But do you really think this is "it" for PJ? There's always another level to be achieved, if you are so bold as to reach for it.

dead on. exactly.

plus, we're not creative members of pearl jam. we think we understand the band in terms of its creative dynamics but we really don't know the whole inside operation. they know what they are capable of, both as individual musicians, and much more importantly, as a singular creative unit.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • RockKing wrote:

The way distantsun was speaking, it seemed like there was another level in mind.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.