Originally posted by Goulet
    i think spanking is more of a third date type of thing
    i'm not expecting anything on the first date beyond
    heavy petting

Good man! :)

Enjoy it!!!!!! :D

That sounds so exciting! :)

Steam up some windows, baby!
    Forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
  • Options
    GouletGoulet Posts: 918
    i also like Charles Simic
  • Options
    the meticulous melancholy of Ann Sexton.
    She gently takes me to scary places and says scary things that make me feel okay.

the earthiness of Carl Sandburg.
    He's the candlelight in a nightmare

the wickedness of Charles Baudelaire.
    I have the this verse from THE IRREPARABLE painted on the ceiling of my writing room:
    My soul is prey to the Irreparable,
    It gnaws with tooth accurst,
    And, termite-like, the cunning spawn of hell
    Mines the foundations first

but all must kneel before ee cummings. Flowers flow from his words. He invented water and grass and hair. He is THE poet

Oh, yeah, and of course Goulet.
  • Options
    i never said song writers weren't poets
    Bob Dylan is a perfect (and maybe the only) example of that
    i said songs and poems are different

and if just writing things on paper makes something a song or poem then everything is a song or poem and that is so far from teh truth too
    when i said wrote down i didnt explain myself enough i meant in poetic form the only difference between songs and poetry is the music (sounds) are put into it!
    whats good for the goose is good for the gander
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 339
    a response to plato's symposium ~

"Thou demandest what is Love. It is that powerful attraction towards all we conceive, or fear, or hope beyond ourselves, when we find within our own thoughts the chasm of an insufficient void, and seek to awaken in all things that are, a community with what we experience within ourselves. If we reason we would be understood; if we imagine we would that the airy children of our brain were born anew within another's; if we feel we would that another's nerves should vibrate to our own, that the beams of their eyes should kindle at once and mix and melt into our own; that lips of motionless ice should not reply to lips quivering and burning with the heart's best blood:--this is Love. This is the bond and the sanction which connects not only man with man, but with every thing which exists. We are born into the world, and there is something within us, which from the instant that we live, more and more thirsts after its likeness. It is probably in correspondence with this law that the infant drains milk from the bosom of its mother; this propensity develops itself with the development of our nature."

he was like a rock star of his day, purely living his art, believing with his entire soul, every word he uttered.

i also love t.s. eliot ~ the waste land is the most perfect poem ever written ~ and also rainer maria rilke when i feel like crying my heart out with loving agony and ecstasy.

"So whoever loves must try to act as if he had a great work: he must be much alone and go into himself and collect himself; he must work; he must become something!
    For believe me, the more one is, the richer is all that one experiences. And whoever wants to have a deep love in his life must collect and save for it and gather honey."

yes, yes, yes........
  • Options
    who here considers eddie vedder a poet?

he is definitley a lyricist

are all lyricists just poets with some music and a good voice?

was jim morrison a poet or a lyricist?

i can tell you my influences but they may not fit the question of favourite poet.
    Forever and ever ....Pearl Jam
  • Options
    Edgar Allan Poe.He hasn't written as many poems as short stories,but his vivid descriptions of grotesque and abaresque suffering makes his poems extraordinary in my eyes.
    once you know
    you can never go back...
  • Options
    dyaogirldyaogirl Posts: 138
    My Best Friend....and I hope the world will know her one day
    '..... Ah! A perfect illustration of the poststructuralist paradox. Does the signifier "Merlot" correspond with the 'truth' of the bottle I polished off last night, or do we hold in our thoughts a different "signified" of bottle-of-Merlot-ness? Perhaps we're dreaming of the same bottle!" -FinsburyParkCarrots

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Wow. Oh Dyaogirl, tell your friend to post!

By the way, everyone,
    There's a Czech poet/scientist called Miroslov Holub.

Have you come across his work?

Do you know his poem

BRIEF REFLECTION ON LIGHT

?

It goes like this:

We make light so we can see.

In the Silurian they made light to see the Silurian.
    In the Diluvium they made light to see the Diluvium.
    In Troy they made light to see Troy.
    And that's how they spotted those Greeks around them.
    In the Enlightenment they made light to see the Enlightenment.

The same applies today.

Indeed
    certain species developed, such as fireflies,
    or occupations, such as torch-bearers.
    A lot of energy is converted into light,
    Even a battery is sometime found.
    So much light has developed that we can see round corners,
    that we can see into our stomachs,
    that we can see into the little roots of light.

Not that seeing is any particular
    fun.
    But we've got to see in order to
    make light,
    light,
    light,
    until we go blind.
  • Options
    Absolute favorite is too difficult a call...

some favorites...e.e. cummings, diane wakoski, charles bukowski,
    charles wright, adrian mitchell, and carolyn forche...among others.
  • Options
    SoundSound Posts: 579
    The Basketball diaries

It was a dream, not a nightmare. A beautiful dream I could never imagined in a thousand nods. I saw this girl next to me, she wasn't beautiful until she smiled. And I felt that smile come at me in heat waves following. Soaking through my body and out my finger tips in shafts of color. And I knew somewhere in the world, somewhere, that there was love for me.

Jim Carrol
    It was a dream, not a nightmare. A beautiful dream I could never imagined in a thousand nods. I saw this girl next to me, she wasn't beautiful until she smiled. And I felt that smile come at me in heat waves following. Soaking through my body and out my finger tips in shafts of color. And I knew somewhere in the world, somewhere, that there was love for me.

Jim Carrol
  • Options
    Originally posted by sevensins
    i always liked emily dickinson......

So do I.

Do you like Plath?
  • Options
    Originally posted by sevensins
    i always liked emily dickenson......

Emily Dickinson has some great poems,but other just confuse the hell out of me.
    once you know
    you can never go back...
  • Options
    john girljohn girl Posts: 308
    asked if Jim Morrison was a poet,
    I think he was
    YES
  • Options
    Didn't he say something like that in Wayne's World II? Wayne was trying to have a concert, called Waynestock, and Jim Morrison came to him in a daydream. Morrison said something like, "If you book them, they will come."
    "Trying to be a person you're not is a waste of the person you really are."- Kurt D. Cobain (R.I.P February 20, 1967- April 5, 1994, we love u Kurt)

• Options
    Favorite poet hands down is Jim Morrison... Others.. Joni Mitchel, Jewel, Eddie Vedder, Bob Dylan,, Edgar Allen Poe
    Don't need a raincoat, I'm already wet..
  • Options
    a poem and a song are two completely different things
    sort of like third or fourth cousins
    both good, but not really related at all

Not sure about that. Homer's "Iliad" and "Odyssey" - both narrative poems in dactyllic hexameter - were sung to the lyre by rhapsodes at least up to the time of Socrates. We presume this because Plato writes about them in "Ion" and "The Republic".
    There's musicality in a vowel, a repetition, an assonance...does a poem have to measure to an equal metre, cadence and rhyme scheme to be a lyric? In the strictest, traditionalist way of thinking about the lyric form, it was argued that it should not only fit such formal requirements, but also always be in the first person. Does that mean that the words of a cleverly-constructed lyric that has no self-reference isn't a "lyric"? Where a lyric starts and where a poem begins, I don't know. I'd be interested if you would try to offer your ideas on what makes a song and what makes a poem. What do you think? This is one of the most interesting posts I've ever been able to respond to here on this board, because there's not only a thread but a web's worth of discussion
    to be had on this point. When is a poem not a poem? What makes a good poem? What makes a bad poem but a good song lyric? Who judges, and what personal or social experiences inform that judgement?
  • Options
    cassiacassia Posts: 277
    greetings and jubilations FinsburyParkCarrots:

my take is that "poetry" engulfs the song
    i.e.,

Poesis...the Greek...the Made-thing...the MAKING
    so etymologically, all creative works

are poetry.

To the Greeks, a poet was a "maker."
    The "poiema," something made.

Song stems back to an Icelandic term, "songr."
    In fact, in one dictionary, a third definition for song is
    "poetical compositon, poetry."

Cool.

I hear you, about when is a poem a poem. Eiks and eegads when we come across some bland prosaic thing, given formalesque shape. But a poem is a poem, even a bad poem.

The poet Wallace Stevens wrote about how all these poems, the "lesser poems" are just seeking out, referring to, the Central Poem...

this great perfect poem, the One Poem.

There were nine muses...from which we derive our term Music. One for poetry, one for song....

the way (today) I view it,

the poem feels its meter and cadence internally
    and
    the song bursts forth
    with externallly sounding note-music

Also, sometimes I sense a real difference between a page-poem and spoken-word poetry.

then, in a sense, it's not poetry, it's drama. Or comedy....
    theatre, presentation.

The oral tradition, yes, and narratives were sought to convey the idealized victories and ancient histories, folklore....

then transcribed by clerics, etc....

but, wow, it's All Good, eh

just letting the creative impulse do its work
    vibes, vibrations, vibrato

rock on, smiles
  • Options
    john girljohn girl Posts: 308
    has anyone else taken poetry classes and the instructor bans

rock n roll poets as a class resource? I think that is very limiting,

and if Emily Dickinson or Emerson, Poe were alive today

(you never know...)

maybe they'd express through rock n roll, rap, etc..

read Em. D's poem 1021,

Look and see if she did a poem that numerate matches your birthday or a date significant to you.

It's spooky cool!
  • Options
    cassiacassia Posts: 277
    michael mclure
  • Options
    I'm singing in the rain
    just singing in the rain
    what a glorious feeling.................
    Some people have to have the sultry evenings Cocktails in the blue, red and grey But I like every minute of the day.
    INTER-FUCKING-MISSION!!!
    Newcastle-Riverside 02/22/92!!!
    E.rutherford New Jersey 01/06/06
    Athens -Greece.survived !barely-
    Wembley 18/06/07- no words- just smiles!
  • Options
    ...and if Emily Dickinson or Emerson, Poe were alive today

(you never know...)

maybe they'd express through rock n roll, rap, etc..

I totally agree. They never knew the music genres we now know today, but if they did, they would have seized the oppurtunity like a baby grabs onto its mother's hand.

I could see Poe rockin' on the guitar, and writing his own, authentic, impactful lyrics. After he screeches "...Quoth the raven, Nevermore!", he'd play a sick guitar solo
    "Trying to be a person you're not is a waste of the person you really are."- Kurt D. Cobain (R.I.P February 20, 1967- April 5, 1994, we love u Kurt)

• Options
    for anyone who thinks poems and songs are completely different....this is why i consider poems and songs to be the same

if i write a poem and then put it to music

its is still the same poem with the same words

so is it no longer a poem?

in this mans opinion....no
    Forever and ever ....Pearl Jam
  • Options
    That's exactly how I write my own songs. I write a poem, sing it, and then add some guitar in there (easier said than done).

• Options
    coleencoleen Posts: 938
    my favorite poet......

sing it with me now - do-do-do-dah-dah......
  • Options
    Originally posted by coleen
    my favorite poet......

sing it with me now - do-do-do-dah-dah......

Goulet! :)

Hi coleen! It's nice to see you! I hope that you get some more free time soon! :D
    Forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen