Options

What does PJ think of reunited STP??

2»

Comments

• Options
    release30 wrote:
    Candlebox and Bush are now where near as good as STP...Sorry

They are all part of the first wave of rip off bands. The subsequent waves of thieves made all of those first wave bands look like rock gods.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    release30 wrote:
    Candlebox and Bush are now where near as good as STP...Sorry

Yea what he said
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    They are all part of the first wave of rip off bands. The subsequent waves of thieves made all of those first wave bands look like rock gods.
    just because it was the same time period and one group of bands were coming out of CA and the others from seattle doesnt automatically make them ripoffs... i dont think STP sounds much like what was coming out of seattle anyway... no one calls the smashing pumpkins a ripoff and theyre from chicago... STP was a very original group and i cant wait to see them live! (and hopefully get a new album)

really looking forward to the new blind melon album too, as long as were talking reunions... not the same as shannon but still good IMO
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    sgossard3 wrote:
    just because it was the same time period and one group of bands were coming out of CA and the others from seattle doesnt automatically make them ripoffs... i dont think STP sounds much like what was coming out of seattle anyway... no one calls the smashing pumpkins a ripoff and theyre from chicago... STP was a very original group and i cant wait to see them live! (and hopefully get a new album)

Agreed. It has been way too long since anything from STP happened. This reunion is gonna be killer especially if they release a new album.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

really looking forward to the new blind melon album too, as long as were talking reunions... not the same as shannon but still good IMO

I realize that many people like STP, I was responding to the original posters' question about how Pearl Jam might feel about their reunion. I personally feel they have a few good songs, but always thought they were just a little too derivative. I remember their first couple of videos and thinking "are you fucking kidding me? could you rip off Eddie Vedder's mannerisms any more??" Then Creed came out and made Weiland look like a creative genious.

Sidenote: Smashing Pumpkins is not a great analogy because they were together before the Seattle thing exploded and were to a certain extent embraced by the Seattle bands (at least by Cameron Crowe). You can't say the same thing for Stone Temple Pilots.

When it comes down to it, who really cares what I think or you think?
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    When it comes down to it, who really cares what I think or you think?
    according to my blog, 5215 hits ;) SPEAK FOR YOSELF

to each his own i guess... i agree that STPs videos were always bad, as are most for other bands... but the ed mannerisms probably has more to do with how it was edited (the record company was probably pushing for alot of the same)... definitely very apparent in the video for "glycerine"...

unfortunately for scott, his has been a career shrouded by his drug problems... if you listen to his solo album tho youll see hes miles away from the usual thing... pretty good too
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    release30 wrote:
    I know alot in here dislike SW but what does PJ think of him and STP getting back together???

Unknown but I think it's fantastic - really looking forward to whatever they do next. Dean DeLeo is a killer and Weiland's psychoses fit just perfect in that group. They had some real chemistry, some fresh stuff those guys came out with back in the day, 94-96.

The stripped down side one of Tiny Music got me through real some rough times again recently; I really love that album. And Purple is timeless.
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    I used to like STP back in the day, but now I'm kinda blah about them. For anyone who is a fan I'm happy for you that they're touring again... as for PJ I don't see that they would care either way what STP does. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading an article around the time No Code came out that said that Stone wrote Mankind to mock the 2nd wave of rip-off grunge bands. I believe they specifically named STP actually. I think this was in Spin....
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    I heard scott wieland is touring the east coast solo. Bootlegs will be up directly after the show. Then stp is touring the west coast, but taping is not allowed. Once the tour is over they are going to play every small city in the midwest and south followed by no new album and 2 years of being dormant.

This would continue the long standing tradition of stp being the bizarro pearl jam.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06